Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Would you like to see him in charge of the team next season?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 80

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright

Post by Alfie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 am

One thing I find very strange in all this is the role of White. He isn't exactly the shy retiring type - if he disagreed with Wright he would surely say so, and this would be difficult to keep private, and you would think he would have walked if he was being sidelined.

So do they come as a package, and if Wright went now would White be a feasible interim until,season end?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 am

To be fair, unless things got so hideously toxic that it was unbearable, I don't see Wright leaving before the end of the season. And given only eight days ago we performed really well and should have beaten the league leaders, I can't say we're at that point. Of course none of us know what's actually going in the dressing room, but I don't get the impression there's been a total breakdown between players and manager.

Therefore, because we've only got seven weeks left of the season, I don't see a managerial change happening now.

If he can survive the Nuneaton debacle, where we'd lost to the bottom club and only a week earlier he admitted to allowing players to skive training, he'll survive this.

To me, the question is more whether he's judged to be the right person for next season. Before that though, we need to ensure survival.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:To be fair, unless things got so hideously toxic that it was unbearable, I don't see Wright leaving before the end of the season. And given only eight days ago we performed really well and should have beaten the league leaders, I can't say we're at that point. Of course none of us know what's actually going in the dressing room, but I don't get the impression there's been a total breakdown between players and manager.

Therefore, because we've only got seven weeks left of the season, I don't see a managerial change happening now.

If he can survive the Nuneaton debacle, where we'd lost to the bottom club and only a week earlier he admitted to allowing players to skive training, he'll survive this.

To me, the question is more whether he's judged to be the right person for next season. Before that though, we need to ensure survival.
Good post.
Vodka_Vic wrote:The board are very aware. Read the paragraph 'Where do you see the club being in two years?' That's where we are now.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... -the-club/
Interesting.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:To be fair, unless things got so hideously toxic that it was unbearable, I don't see Wright leaving before the end of the season. And given only eight days ago we performed really well and should have beaten the league leaders, I can't say we're at that point. Of course none of us know what's actually going in the dressing room, but I don't get the impression there's been a total breakdown between players and manager.

Good post.
Vodka_Vic wrote:The board are very aware. Read the paragraph 'Where do you see the club being in two years?' That's where we are now.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... -the-club/
Interesting.
Two very good posts, I'm definitely with Darlogramps on the current situation and The original fat cat for bringing up where will the club/DJ stand at the end of the season and the 2 years since DJ joined? No where near.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:14 am

Not sure I’d read too much into an interview given a few weeks after DJ was appointed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:25 am

Alfie wrote:One thing I find very strange in all this is the role of White. He isn't exactly the shy retiring type - if he disagreed with Wright he would surely say so, and this would be difficult to keep private, and you would think he would have walked if he was being sidelined.

So do they come as a package, and if Wright went now would White be a feasible interim until,season end?
White is as culpable as Wright. Given the issues seems to boil down to preparation / fitness & mentality of players.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 am

I'd agree with that. When change comes it needs a completely fresh start.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 pm

divas wrote:Not sure I’d read too much into an interview given a few weeks after DJ was appointed.
It's just his philosophy about recognising a vicious circle. We're in one now-poor performances, lack of support of manager, dwindling crowds leading to less budget, leading to selling players, leading to worse performances on the pitch.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:07 pm

As said previously, not counting youth players and loan players we have only 12 players on our books, this is running the club on a shoe string.

The players don’t get a breather and are under continuous pressure - many of them are young, and it means they won’t be enjoying their football. It’s a viscous circle and can’t continue.

We need to bring in fresh legs. Now.

I feel that whether or not T.W is manager or not is separate to this point!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:As said previously, not counting youth players and loan players we have only 12 players on our books, this is running the club on a shoe string.

The players don’t get a breather and are under continuous pressure - many of them are young, and it means they won’t be enjoying their football. It’s a viscous circle and can’t continue.

We have the same average age as Gateshead's squad and they have 16 players on their books including players on loan compared to our 19. They're currently sat 7th in the table and unbeaten since January. It shows that you can still get results even if you have a thread bare squad.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:38 pm

To get results you need players who are fit, organised and determined plus a manager who is tactically astute. Gateshead have, we don’t.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Gateshead are also full time so they don't have players juggling games, training and work during the week. Very easy to work on your fitness when you have all day every day to do something about it.
Its also easier to get players drilled into what you want from them if you work with them everyday, something you can't do with part time players.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

loan_star wrote:Gateshead are also full time so they don't have players juggling games, training and work during the week. Very easy to work on your fitness when you have all day every day to do something about it.
Its also easier to get players drilled into what you want from them if you work with them everyday, something you can't do with part time players.
Most of the clubs in our division are part time but they seem to manage it ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 pm

loan_star wrote:Gateshead are also full time so they don't have players juggling games, training and work during the week. Very easy to work on your fitness when you have all day every day to do something about it.
This is absolutely true, but most teams in our division are part-time and juggling the same problems, often with a lesser budget.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Beano wrote:
This is absolutely true, but most teams in our division are part-time and juggling the same problems, often with a lesser budget.
And there are still teams in a worse position than us for now.
No matter how bad yesterday was, I still think we have enough to survive but it could well be close.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:23 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:As said previously, not counting youth players and loan players we have only 12 players on our books, this is running the club on a shoe string.

I largely agree.

I don't like to single certain players out but after watching many games this season and watching yesterday, sadly it's never going to work for Henshall and he certainly isn't a wing back. I have seen more from Kokolo in a few games than I have Henshall all season and I don't think Kokolo is the answer really.

Burn is clearly not in the managers mind at all, or is he injured as he certainly wasn't warming up yesterday. It summed it up when Thompson, Galbraith and Ainge were talking and the rest of the lads were warming up, basically those three are the only experience left in the squad.

It's over for Wright, he will get the next couple of games and if he gets anything then will get to the end of the season to see it out. After that a change has to take place because he doesn't seem to learn from the mistakes or that his squad is poor, tactically inept and has really lost the support of just about everyone.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Before the long trip back yesterday I wanted Tommy to leave. However on reflection we as fans are a fickle bunch and shouldn’t rush to a quick decision. If we had won we would all be saying how good Tommy is. He has had to deal with losing some key players this season to balance the books, I doubt MG would ever had agreed to that. However results don’t lie so some big decisions for the DFCSG board to make and ultimately DJ will have to implement their decision.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm

quakersfan wrote:Before the long trip back yesterday I wanted Tommy to leave. However on reflection we as fans are a fickle bunch and shouldn’t rush to a quick decision. If we had won we would all be saying how good Tommy is. He has had to deal with losing some key players this season to balance the books, I doubt MG would ever had agreed to that. However results don’t lie so some big decisions for the DFCSG board to make and ultimately DJ will have to implement their decision.
Not sure if you are joking or you really have no idea how it works.

DFCSG have no final say whatsoever on removing Wright, this would ultimately be Johnston's decision with maybe some opinion given from DFCSG via their chairman but would be a non binding opinion. Johnston does not have to implement anything from DFCSG.

The new finance director is only just in so he may have an opinion again but the shout is all still with Johnston really. I would imagine he will chat it through with DFCSG chair, taking into account the challenges a management removal would bring v's the challenges of keeping him - I think the tipping point has been passed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:48 pm

I’ve spelt vicious wrong, I hate it when that happens.

I’m in no way wishing to criticise D.J. here because he’s obviously an asset to the club, but how much help does he actually give out to T.W on a regular basis? Our whole structure seems to be run on a knife edge - it’s sad to see and could seriously backfire on us.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Yes gateshead are pro and train every day and they all live within in the north east so not too far for training however they have faced some long trips this season with only a couple of overnight stays. They went and came back from dover in the same day and still won. So alot of players at conference north level aint pro but how many have a 40 hour day job mon-fri?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:26 pm

quakersfan wrote:Before the long trip back yesterday I wanted Tommy to leave. However on reflection we as fans are a fickle bunch and shouldn’t rush to a quick decision. If we had won we would all be saying how good Tommy is. He has had to deal with losing some key players this season to balance the books, I doubt MG would ever had agreed to that. However results don’t lie so some big decisions for the DFCSG board to make and ultimately DJ will have to implement their decision.

But he didn’t win. He got spanked by a team below us, blowing a lead and conceding 4 goals. Key players have had to go because the crowds are down, due to the dross on the pitch meaning lower crowds, and him spending the budget on injured / unfit / poor players.

He is ultimately responsible and has to go.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 pm

My shortlist of those worth looking at closely when change finally comes (as it will) includes Chris Hardy (still doing a fine job at Whitby), Chris Swailes (great work at Dunston and a good coaching background and an organiser and leader, holds UEFA A Badge) and up-and-coming Nick Gray (UEFA A Badge) at Morpeth (who we will be playing next season if you're a pessimist or in the league below us if you're of the glass half-full frame of mind). All realistic targets and I reckon any of them would have us better organised with more backbone, spirit and resolve.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:55 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

DFCSG have no final say whatsoever on removing Wright, this would ultimately be Johnston's decision with maybe some opinion given from DFCSG via their chairman but would be a non binding opinion. Johnston does not have to implement anything from DFCSG.

The new finance director is only just in so he may have an opinion again but the shout is all still with Johnston really. I would imagine he will chat it through with DFCSG chair, taking into account the challenges a management removal would bring v's the challenges of keeping him - I think the tipping point has been passed.
Your wrong DJ has said various times that the DFC board are custodians and that in reality in respect to major decisions the DFC board will be guided by the main shareholder. This i’d imagine would include managerial appointments. Chatting to a DFCSG board member yesterday at Hereford DJ works away 5 days a week similar to Richard Cook which left Tempest to do much of the work, hopefully Woolnough although early days will be taking up the slack. Either way a decision has to be made although I certainly wouldn’t want to make it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

quakersfan wrote:

Your wrong DJ has said various times that the DFC board are custodians and that in reality in respect to major decisions the DFC board will be guided by the main shareholder. This i’d imagine would include managerial appointments. Chatting to a DFCSG board member yesterday at Hereford DJ works away 5 days a week similar to Richard Cook which left Tempest to do much of the work, hopefully Woolnough although early days will be taking up the slack. Either way a decision has to be made although I certainly wouldn’t want to make it.
I beg to differ from what I have been told, however you think I am wrong because you imagine it includes managerial appointments rather than you have been told this then - so you are saying you have read between the lines and that is your belief but not confirmed?

So are you confirming our CEO is just a front and wouldn't make any decision on management? Quite strange considering he completed the interview and recruitment phase.

Narrows it down to 3 people who told you this as if I remember right only 3 DFCSG Board members were there.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 pm

quakersfan wrote:

I beg to differ from what I have been told, however you think I am wrong because you imagine it includes managerial appointments rather than you have been told this then - so you are saying you have read between the lines and that is your belief but not confirmed?

So are you confirming our CEO is just a front and wouldn't make any decision on management? Quite strange considering he completed the interview and recruitment phase.

Narrows it down to 3 people who told you this as if I remember right only 3 DFCSG Board members were there.
DJ has stated many times at Netcafe and Forums he will involve the DFCSG in key decisions, appointing a new manager is a key decision. Its not a secret it was DJ Joanne Cameron and John Tempest who interviewed following Grays departure, Cameron was chair of the DFCSG at the time.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm

out of interest does DJ read this forum? surely he will see the views of the fans?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:37 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:out of interest does DJ read this forum? surely he will see the views of the fans?
Someone at the club definitely will do and will take note. This is only a guess but I would be surprised if D.J. didn’t take an occasional peek, when he has a quiet moment.

I know for a fact that various journalists monitor this board.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 pm

quakersfan wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote: I beg to differ from what I have been told, however you think I am wrong because you imagine it includes managerial appointments rather than you have been told this then - so you are saying you have read between the lines and that is your belief but not confirmed?

DJ has stated many times at Netcafe and Forums he will involve the DFCSG in key decisions, appointing a new manager is a key decision. Its not a secret it was DJ Joanne Cameron and John Tempest who interviewed following Grays departure, Cameron was chair of the DFCSG at the time.
That's what I said that chair of DFCSG would have an opinion (involve) but you implied they would make the decision and in theory could overrule Johnston, led by DFCSG chair.

The end of the day you have to have either a vote or an ultimate decision maker, you implied your belief is that the ultimate lead would be DFCSG, which suggest they would/could overrule Johnston.

So if we have a disagreement between Johnston V DFCSG are you confirming they can/will overrule him or not with the below?
quakersfan wrote:Your wrong DJ has said various times that the DFC board are custodians and that in reality in respect to major decisions the DFC board will be guided by the main shareholder. This i’d imagine would include managerial appointments.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 pm

quakersfan wrote:

DFCSG have absolutely no say in the appointment or recruitment of the manager. There was no DFCSG representative on the last panel. It is a main board issue.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 pm

A member of DFCSG was on the interview panel when TW was appointed.