Darlington V Brackley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Brackley

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 pm

After cooling down from last night's debacle and looking at the game again I,m still mystified how Alex henshall was on the pitch ahead of other more potent players, Alex was out of position making it a very narrow game ,he should have been out wide but kept moving into the middle leaving no out option for the midfielders to lay the ball to ,Alex is I think out of his depth at this level, liam Hughes for me played well but was caught for pace a few times, o hanlan bang average, Thompson did ok Smith definitely man of match,nicholson unlucky not to score Elliott poor last night all others just so so.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Its seems to me we are too small in the middle.

We need Palmer and a bigger stronger lad in there .......... may be Hughes can lose weight!

We also seem very rushed when we have the ball, I noticed Kneeshaw was very calm and seemed to have an extra second than the rest of our lads.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:he should be in the heart of the midfield but somehow the club is a soft touch and let him get so unfit he is not usable in his correct position.
I can’t believe I am reading this.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm

dsr wrote:We were well and truly beaten by a team which, if you will forgive the pun, were in a different league. That, for me, sums up our situation. We can, with justification, say that Player A should be preferred to Player B (with different people having contrary views) and we can say good and bad things about TW but, at the end of the day, we are not promotion material - and tweaking this and that is not going to change that.
The "good news" is that there are at least three teams worse than us. The practical situation is that monetary and other restraints will see us continuing to struggle in our current league beyond this season.
The vital thing is that we continue to support the lads, including whoever is our manager. Sadly, an attendance of 916 is a sign that support is weakening, at least partly because of unrealistic expectations.
This is pretty much where I am at. I don’t think anything suggested would have made a difference.

If Kneeshaw or Saunders has started upfront they still wouldn’t have got a sniff against the Brackley No.6 (captain).

Ainge was being abused by fans before we even started remember O’Hanlon played a ball forward at one point which Usain Bolt wouldn’t have caught up with and it went straight through to the keeper and people round me were genuinely moaning at Ainge for not chasing / getting into it.

Our left hand flank was weak all night. Henshall was doubled up on most of the time and wasn’t getting support from O’Hanlon so had to check inside but his delivery was equally as poor as Thommo’s when he did get a chance.

Arguably we should have attacked their left back a lot more but a lot more narrow to create some chances - issue was we beat them down the right hand side but then delivery the ball straight at the first man, out for a goalkick or planted it directly on the head of their biggest CB.

It was no surprise our best chance came whenever Trotman made a run inside rather than out and squared it back across the goal line. If we’d kept up that line of attack we might have stood a better chance of scoring. Saunders has a similar chance playing in between LCB and LB in second half - that wasn’t Brackley’s soft spot.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Over the last few games our attacking threat has been stunted. Further stunted by the injury to Muggleton.

Against Blyth I saw countless times that Nicholson and Thompson were in between the oppositions midfield and defence and they were looking to play someone in, but it's not Ainge's game to run beyond. It would have been perfect for Saunders, or a Kneeshaw. Happened a few more times in the last 2 home games.

In all fairness to Ainge, he isn't a runner and he needs someone alongside him, and you can't count that we played 4-4-2 last night because we didn't. It was 4-4-1-1 at best. Not sure what Tommy thought would happen with that.

And to the fans that cheer when one of our players get subbed, you need to give your head a shake. Only adding to bad feeling

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:he should be in the heart of the midfield but somehow the club is a soft touch and let him get so unfit he is not usable in his correct position.
Soft touch? The bloke has suffered with serious mental illness for an extended period of time and the club rightly have tried to help him sort this. Your attitude to his situation is beyond archaic and is completely ignorant.

Fortunately the majority of supporters have backed him at his lowest and alongside the football club have helped fight against the stigma surrounding mental health that, judging by the stupidity of your comment, is still evident in society today.

Putting aside the issue, Hughes has been arguably our most consistent performer this season. Does he need to lose weight? Yes. Does he know this? Yes. Has he ever let us down performance wise, since switching to CB? Has he F**k.

Next time you want to spew your ignorance, do it elsewhere. On a side note, I hope the new Finance Director avoided you at the game the other week, after you wanted to speak to him about his plans. I imagine it would have spared him five minutes of his time he would never get back.
Craig Liddle is God!!

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Soft touch? The bloke has suffered with serious mental illness for an extended period of time and the club rightly have tried to help him sort this. Your attitude to his situation is beyond archaic and is completely ignorant.

Fortunately the majority of supporters have backed him at his lowest and alongside the football club have helped fight against the stigma surrounding mental health that, judging by the stupidity of your comment, is still evident in society today.

Putting aside the issue, Hughes has been arguably our most consistent performer this season. Does he need to lose weight? Yes. Does he know this? Yes. Has he ever let us down performance wise, since switching to CB? Has he F**k.

Next time you want to spew your ignorance, do it elsewhere. On a side note, I hope the new Finance Director avoided you at the game the other week, after you wanted to speak to him about his plans. I imagine it would have spared him five minutes of his time he would never get back.
Agree totally with this - well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Im not saying he hasnt had his issues but he was over weight when he arrived.

Should have been sorted then.

I was too depressed by the football to go over to see any officials of the club

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:29 pm

We were beaten by a far better team. It happens. They didn't win the Trophy last year, get to the Quarter Finals this year, and be in the top 4 of the league by being a team that a bang average one like us should be beating.

The comment about reality checks above is spot on. Brackley have spent on that team, without doubt. It shows. WE HAVE NO MONEY. The mouthpiece haranguing Maddison was saying at half time he shouldn't play again, he should be out, as should Ainge. Someone else said, yes we should start Saunders. Mouthpiece doesn't like Saunders either. Just like he didn't like Styche. Living in cloud cuckoo land. I've actually never heard him supportive of anyone. Hope he's got deep pockets to replace them all, but I bet he doesn't.

Frankly, the cheering of Ainge and Henshall's substitutions was embarrassing. Wheatley got applauded off, but for me was no better than the others who were replaced. Ainge, Henshall, O'Hanlon, Maddison - all must dread getting the ball because if they make the slightest mistake they are slaughtered.

As for the BTB, don't pay into the BTB next year if Wright's manager if you want - don't moan when we plummet a division or two. Is BTB to be used as a threat every time we get sick of a manager? As owners of the club, we have to put money into the budget or else no-one else will.

Getting to the point of thinking a quick death might not be the end of the world. Section of our fans p**s me off every game. Not that sure it's worth it anymore.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:06 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:We were beaten by a far better team. It happens.
It will probably happen again a week on Saturday when Chorley come to town.

I saw them at York recently and they looked impressive. Strong in every position, have a game plan and stick to it.

They have an excellent defence so unless we play with spirit, speed and guile then we're done for.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Good post Harry, some of those "fans" in the tin shed are an absolute disgrace, foul mouthed, abusive, negative, toxic....in short a total embarrassment to our club.You know who you are, for god's sake stay away.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Quite simply beaten by a better team than ourselves. It happens although I would like us to have more of a go than we did, If we are going to lose at least match them for work-rate and intensity but we didn't and I feel Brackley had another gear to go into if they needed. Fancy them to go up this season.
We have a problem with TW, Even if we won the next 5 games and then threw in another below par performance and lost our fans would quickly forget about the 5 wins and all this will start again. I think the feeling that he is out of his depth has gone to far to reverse and a large number of our fanbase cant and wont ever be convinced by him that he is the right man at the helm. The less said about the attendance the better...

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:our team isnt playing with the intensity required because they arent fit enough.

They should be playing like Harvey Saunders level of intensity.

Liam Hughes has had his issues but he should not be allowed to turn up to pre season with a belly like that and should be told to shift it in X weeks or he is out of the club due to a breach of contract.
Tit

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:35 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Good post Harry, some of those "fans" in the tin shed are an absolute disgrace, foul mouthed, abusive, negative, toxic....in short a total embarrassment to our club.You know who you are, for god's sake stay away.

Totally agree.. Booing Ainge and Henchall when they went off totally unacceptable SUPPORT every player that plays for Darlington fc get behind the lads show them we care and we want to survive on and off the field. Slagging the team does not help anyone yes we are frustrated but come on

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:06 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Good post Harry, some of those "fans" in the tin shed are an absolute disgrace, foul mouthed, abusive, negative, toxic....in short a total embarrassment to our club.You know who you are, for god's sake stay away.

Totally agree.. Booing Ainge and Henchall when they went off totally unacceptable SUPPORT every player that plays for Darlington fc get behind the lads show them we care and we want to survive on and off the field. Slagging the team does not help anyone yes we are frustrated but come on

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:We were beaten by a far better team. It happens. They didn't win the Trophy last year, get to the Quarter Finals this year, and be in the top 4 of the league by being a team that a bang average one like us should be beating.

The comment about reality checks above is spot on. Brackley have spent on that team, without doubt. It shows. WE HAVE NO MONEY. The mouthpiece haranguing Maddison was saying at half time he shouldn't play again, he should be out, as should Ainge. Someone else said, yes we should start Saunders. Mouthpiece doesn't like Saunders either. Just like he didn't like Styche. Living in cloud cuckoo land. I've actually never heard him supportive of anyone. Hope he's got deep pockets to replace them all, but I bet he doesn't.

Frankly, the cheering of Ainge and Henshall's substitutions was embarrassing. Wheatley got applauded off, but for me was no better than the others who were replaced. Ainge, Henshall, O'Hanlon, Maddison - all must dread getting the ball because if they make the slightest mistake they are slaughtered.

As for the BTB, don't pay into the BTB next year if Wright's manager if you want - don't moan when we plummet a division or two. Is BTB to be used as a threat every time we get sick of a manager? As owners of the club, we have to put money into the budget or else no-one else will.

Getting to the point of thinking a quick death might not be the end of the world. Section of our fans p**s me off every game. Not that sure it's worth it anymore.
Excellent posts. Its always the ones with the loudest mouths that are the most negative. As you both say, the cheering at a player being subbed is shocking.
Ainge took a bad knock on his ankle early in the game yet people expect him to run around like Saunders can all the time.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Not just the tin shed unfortunately. There are people around me in the seats that started on Ainge and Henshall almost from the first minute. Sure if one of them scored a hat trick or a worldie these people would have a go the next time they made a mistake.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 pm

I don't know what people expect sometimes. The threats of not renewing BTB are just childish. I cashed in my reward at the Southport game and my 11 year old had the time of his life. We met the players, he had a training session on the pitch, took penalties at half time, and was a flag waver. I'll definitely be continuing to contribute, and others should too. I was talking to Andrew Alston on the day about how I'm a Midlands exile and don't make many home games, but attend the Midlands games instead. There's just a different atmosphere at these games generally. Many Midlands and Southern based exiles go to these games and the fans get behind the team, often with Andy Park and friends as our chief cheerleaders. I contrast this with the toxic atmosphere at home games, where the 'I've paid my money I'm entitled to hurl abuse' crowd hold sway. I'm sure Andy has noticed this contrast too. It's very sad to see.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am

The performance was dispiriting, but we were beaten by the better side. The performances of some showed how bad some of TWs summer signings were, and goodness knows whats happened to some of last seasons better players.

But the most worrying thing was the crowd and the general apathy which seems to have swept over the entire club. When was the last time we had a 3 figure crowd in Darlington for a league match? I fear we are watching the slow decline of Darlington Football Club unfolding before our eyes. It's a vicious circle of dwindling crowds leading to budget cuts leading to a worse squad leading to less entertainment leading to dwindling crowds etc. The whole club is in desperate need of a spark to reverse this decline, but for the life of me I can't see where that is coming from.

It has been stated that there will be a further budget cut in the summer, and no doubt BtB will be lower. I would not be surprised if season ticket sales are lower too. I've no confidence in Wright that from this set of circumstances he will be able to put together a better squad next season than he did this season, particularly when considering no doubt some of last summers poor recruits will still be here. While I think we will stay up this season, unless there is a major intervention, I think we will be in serious danger of relegation next season. Unless we manage to reverse our current trend, I honestly would not be surprised if in a few years time we are an Evostik side playing regularly in front of crowds which struggle to top 1000.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:17 am

al_quaker wrote:The performance was dispiriting, but we were beaten by the better side. The performances of some showed how bad some of TWs summer signings were, and goodness knows whats happened to some of last seasons better players.

But the most worrying thing was the crowd and the general apathy which seems to have swept over the entire club. When was the last time we had a 3 figure crowd in Darlington for a league match? I fear we are watching the slow decline of Darlington Football Club unfolding before our eyes. It's a vicious circle of dwindling crowds leading to budget cuts leading to a worse squad leading to less entertainment leading to dwindling crowds etc. The whole club is in desperate need of a spark to reverse this decline, but for the life of me I can't see where that is coming from.

It has been stated that there will be a further budget cut in the summer, and no doubt BtB will be lower. I would not be surprised if season ticket sales are lower too. I've no confidence in Wright that from this set of circumstances he will be able to put together a better squad next season than he did this season, particularly when considering no doubt some of last summers poor recruits will still be here. While I think we will stay up this season, unless there is a major intervention, I think we will be in serious danger of relegation next season. Unless we manage to reverse our current trend, I honestly would not be surprised if in a few years time we are an Evostik side playing regularly in front of crowds which struggle to top 1000.
We need a cup run more than anything next season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 am

lo36789 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:The performance was dispiriting, but we were beaten by the better side. The performances of some showed how bad some of TWs summer signings were, and goodness knows whats happened to some of last seasons better players.

We need a cup run more than anything next season.
Yes - but considering our record in cups, I'm not sure how realistic that is :lol:

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Then that's what we'll be. We'll be down to the people who genuinely want a football club to support, not just a successful football club to support.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/will-th ... re-rubbish
No movement up front, quite flat, conceded goals were rubbish, Honest opinion from the young on loan defender.
If we can play with same endeavour(complete opposite to Brackley) against Chorley as we did in horrible weather at their place I will be more than happy whatever result.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/will-th ... re-rubbish
No movement up front, quite flat, conceded goals were rubbish, Honest opinion from the young on loan defender.
If we can play with same endeavour(complete opposite to Brackley) against Chorley as we did in horrible weather at their place I will be more than happy whatever result.
Smart head on his shoulders that lad, hope he goes far.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:

Then that's what we'll be. We'll be down to the people who genuinely want a football club to support, not just a successful football club to support.
What will be will be. But it doesn't mean that any journey to that type of existence wouldn't be sad to watch unfold.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:22 pm

If you love the club you'll support it, I always ha e and always will. And I will back the boost the budget again as I always have. Darlington football club is my home town club its my club. When I thought it had gone back in 2012, I was in a desperate state of
Blackness thankfully people rallied round and the club lived I am so thankful for those people who saved my club and my sanity. So I will do everything I can to help my club continue its also your club get behind it and let's ride this roller-coaster together.
Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:It’s getting to the time of year again where the club will be asking the fans to invest in the budget for next season, with crowds dropping it’ll be up to us to supplement the budget. Given last years recruitment I don’t have faith that TW can spent it wisely enough and I imagine a lot of people feel the same, I think we’ll have to rely heavily on the loan market, I know I won’t be investing until we get a new manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a good post on Facebook by Doug 'peugeot' Embleton. He worries that BTB has been wrongly linked with playoff/promotions rather than fans owning&funding the club.
It may, perhaps in the next few months, require some very serious debate about the club’s future. Because if fans decide in significant numbers not to support the club financially, through tickets / season tickets or BTB or any of the other fund-raising efforts, then there’s only one way this would go. Fans, as owners, sooner or later will have to accept that in the absence of major investors that it needs them to step up to the plate - firstly to survive and after that to progress. I think divas has alluded to this in the recent past - we shouldn’t sleepwalk into it.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm

onewayup wrote:If you love the club you'll support it, I always ha e and always will. And I will back the boost the budget again as I always have. Darlington football club is my home town club its my club. When I thought it had gone back in 2012, I was in a desperate state of
Blackness thankfully people rallied round and the club lived I am so thankful for those people who saved my club and my sanity. So I will do everything I can to help my club continue its also your club get behind it and let's ride this roller-coaster together.
Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.
Spot on, good post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 am

al_quaker wrote:
There are certainly things about the way this season has gone so far that I'm sure most of us would have wished to have turned out differently but the narrative you have painted seems to rely heavily on the turnout on Wednesday night being significant in showing we are on a downward spiral. It was certainly a very disappointing crowd, but only receives notable attention because it fell below 1,000. We have had other low crowds this season but these have often been followed by better crowds, probably due to the ebb and flow of personal finances, and the quality and fan base of the opposition. I'm not sure at this stage that it is right to draw the apocalyptic conclusions that you have reached on one bad result and one poor crowd. It would be no different to assuming that we were on the up because we had one crowd over 2,000 a few weeks ago. Yes it was another bad result, and yes the goals aren't flowing at the moment but I don't extrapolate from this that it is the end of our time in the NLN nor the end of DFC, and I think there are still enough likeminded supporters who will not willingly let that happen.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:24 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
jjlewis1k89 wrote:It’s getting to the time of year again where the club will be asking the fans to invest in the budget for next season, with crowds dropping it’ll be up to us to supplement the budget. Given last years recruitment I don’t have faith that TW can spent it wisely enough and I imagine a lot of people feel the same, I think we’ll have to rely heavily on the loan market, I know I won’t be investing until we get a new manager.

There is a good post on Facebook by Doug 'peugeot' Embleton. He worries that BTB has been wrongly linked with playoff/promotions rather than fans owning&funding the club.
It may, perhaps in the next few months, require some very serious debate about the club’s future. Because if fans decide in significant numbers not to support the club financially, through tickets / season tickets or BTB or any of the other fund-raising efforts, then there’s only one way this would go. Fans, as owners, sooner or later will have to accept that in the absence of major investors that it needs them to step up to the plate - firstly to survive and after that to progress. I think divas has alluded to this in the recent past - we shouldn’t sleepwalk into it.

Unfortunately it’s the same people stepping up to the plate each time my feeling is we don’t have the numbers and finance to take us to the next level both in development and playing budget. Everyone has done a fantastic job but we need to be realistic and discussing now what to do in the future. Unless DJ has a rabbit to pull out the hat I think next season will be the same as this season without the pre season good feeling this season had.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm

quakersfan wrote:Unfortunately it’s the same people stepping up to the plate each time my feeling is we don’t have the numbers and finance to take us to the next level both in development and playing budget. Everyone has done a fantastic job but we need to be realistic and discussing now what to do in the future. Unless DJ has a rabbit to pull out the hat I think next season will be the same as this season without the pre season good feeling this season had.
Agree, but I’m more thinking about survival, not just in this league, but also as a football club. If the post by divas (which didn’t seem to elicit too much response at the time), which said we’d run out of money in March is correct then we have a much more fundamental and immediate problem to deal with.
Yes, some of the usual suspects who always contribute may not be able to. But in the absence of significant others, it’s mainly down to the fans to fund our club. If it’s getting to the point where some either can’t or won’t continue to do so, then we’ve hit a significant stage for the club if we can’t even tread water financially.