Muggleton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Muggleton

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 pm

A broken leg and knee ligament damage. Awful. Could even be career ending for him..

Ligament damage is usually a year anyway, but a broken leg along side it? Awful news.

lo36789

Re: Muggleton

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Is it ACL?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 pm

All the club announcement says is knee ligament damage.

Best case is the MCL, but all knee ligament damage is very serious :thumbdown:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Sad to hear for any player, but does he have outside employment & will he be paid by other employer if long term off work?

Worth considering a GoFund Me appeal to raise money for him?

Sure fans of many clubs would be willing to help him out if long term sick

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

H1987 wrote:All the club announcement says is knee ligament damage.

Best case is the MCL, but all knee ligament damage is very serious :thumbdown:
This is the club announcement.

News on the two injured players

Sam Muggleton and Terry Galbraith were both taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital for treatment after sustaining injuries during Saturday’s home game with Southport.

Sam has sustained two injuries – a partial fracture of his femur, and knee ligament damage caused by a dislocation. He will be having a further scan on Monday to assess the extent of the damage.

Tez has suffered a partial concussion, and will be ruled out of Wednesday’s home game against Brackley.

We’re sure that everyone connected to the club would like to wish both players a speedy recovery, and we would also like to thank the medical staff for their care and attention during and following both incidents.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm

It says that it's knee ligament damage caused by the dislocation. However, any dislocation of the knee will cause some ligament damage. It's not worth jumping to conclusions. I had the same knee injury and it was 6 weeks in plaster followed by single-leg work on the weaker knee due to muscle wastage. If he doesn't need surgery then best case scenario is fit for pre-season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Isn’t he employed full time by Chesterfield? If so he will still be on full pay and will be looked after by the PFA if he is released in the summer still suffering from the injury. A go fund me page is a bit OTT.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 pm

True, you *can* get knee ligament damage which isn’t a tear of course... but from a dislocation, I believe it’s much more likely that he’s dealing with a tear.

It’s awful news for the lad either way. Obviously he isn’t our player, but at this level such a bad injury is terrible news. Hoping he makes a speedy recovery and hoping for the best.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Terrible injury for him and he's out of contract at Chesterfield at the end of the season. No doubt he regarded his time with us as a good opportunity to get some game time with a view to getting a deal somewhere for next season. He'd looked solid enough and that throw is one potent weapon. Hope he recovers well and is able to get his career back on track.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Yeah, a dislocation will at the very least stretch the ligaments. Luckily mine were just badly stretched. Fingers crossed that's the case for Sam.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 am

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am

All three. That is horrendous. On top of that, I assume the break will slow recovery of the knee ligaments. Poor lad.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 am

He'll be lucky to get back into football after those horrendous injuries.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am

that bloody awful. easier to say what wasn't injured. hope the lad recovers and can keep in the game - he'll be feeling pretty low at the mo.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am

A broken leg, a dislocated knee, every ligament in his knee ruptured and torn, as well as a torn tendon.

I'm no doctor but I'll be amazed if he ever plays again. It's the stability of the knee when recovered which will be a problem.

Some of the older people may remember but a Spurs player called Danny Thomas had a very similar injury in the 80s, which he never recovered from - all tendons ruptured in the knee. I remember seeing a picture of it in the paper, his leg buckled out of shape at the knee joint - it was spew inducing, worse than looking at a broken leg.

Poor bloke, hope he can somehow recover.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:54 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:A broken leg, a dislocated knee, every ligament in his knee ruptured and torn, as well as a torn tendon.

I'm no doctor but I'll be amazed if he ever plays again. It's the stability of the knee when recovered which will be a problem.

Some of the older people may remember but a Spurs player called Danny Thomas had a very similar injury in the 80s, which he never recovered from - all tendons ruptured in the knee. I remember seeing a picture of it in the paper, his leg buckled out of shape at the knee joint - it was spew inducing, worse than looking at a broken leg.

Poor bloke, hope he can somehow recover.

That last sentence sums up my feelings, and probably those of most football fans everywhere.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Terrible injury - I hope the lad can recover.

The first stage is to be able to lead a full life and not be mobility limited, football is a secondary goal to that.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Really upsetting news this, really liked the look of him in the 2 games, just a young lad with a football career ahead of him suffering an injury like this.It will be a long road back and with advances in medical science fingers crossed he will resurrect his career.Really hope so

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

He may well not play again, and that's desperately sad, especially as he was a professional hoping to make his way in the game.

Any ligament injury is usually around a year anyway, but it involves ongoing work on building stability in the knee through regular exercise... which he can't really do if his leg is also broken.

It's just about the worst injury you can have in footballing terms. I hope Chesterfield and the PFA have something to support him, as he's out of contract in the summer also. Genuinely gutted for him. I don't think i've ever even heard of a footballer breaking their femur before, but combined with the rest... ouch.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:15 pm

H1987 wrote:He may well not play again, and that's desperately sad, especially as he was a professional hoping to make his way in the game.

Any ligament injury is usually around a year anyway, but it involves ongoing work on building stability in the knee through regular exercise... which he can't really do if his leg is also broken.

It's just about the worst injury you can have in footballing terms. I hope Chesterfield and the PFA have something to support him, as he's out of contract in the summer also. Genuinely gutted for him. I don't think i've ever even heard of a footballer breaking their femur before, but combined with the rest... ouch.
What did John McClelland do in that game at Hartlepool? Sickening.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
H1987 wrote:He may well not play again, and that's desperately sad, especially as he was a professional hoping to make his way in the game.

yeah - think that was his thigh bone. wasn't there but apparently you could hear the crack all round the ground.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm

....and not even a yellow card for the offender.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:

yeah - think that was his thigh bone. wasn't there but apparently you could hear the crack all round the ground.
you could. I was there. Shocking and Horrible.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Thankfully I don't remember that one. Was a bit young.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:23 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:....and not even a yellow card for the offender.
what actually happened as i was at the other end of the ground so didnt see the full incident?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:....and not even a yellow card for the offender.
what actually happened as i was at the other end of the ground so didnt see the full incident?
You can watch the incident here: https://youtu.be/VCAgzbzH838?t=309
Not a nice watch mind.

holmesdale

Post by holmesdale » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Very nasty tackle, designed to hurt but doubt he meant to do that..

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 pm

holmesdale wrote:Very nasty tackle, designed to hurt but doubt he meant to do that..
No.Two players going for a 50/50 that unfortunately had a dreadful outcome.I don’t think for a minute the lad meant to “do” him.Really hope he gets back into the game.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 pm

I sort of agree. It's a full blooded 50/50, and while he clearly means to take the man with him, i don't think he intends to cause injury.

The reaction afterwards however, is one of a cnut.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 pm

H1987 wrote:I sort of agree. It's a full blooded 50/50, and while he clearly means to take the man with him, i don't think he intends to cause injury.

The reaction afterwards however, is one of a cnut.
Yep, it was a 50/50 and entirely accidental, but the Southport player's reaction was one of a grade A cokc.