Darlington V Southport match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:35 goals in 54 games for Harrogate tells me he can play as a striker but he didn't score in ten games at Wrexham and he's hardly scored for us so maybe we just play him at the back or not at all?
On the money front don't we have three home games on the trot? Hopefully that will help the cash flow.
The home games are taken into account already, the projection suggests cash will run out in March.

From my understanding this doesn’t mean we are in any financial trouble, we are just taking longer to smooth cash flow and also get us on an even financial footing.

We have worked on spending everything every year, at some point we have to put some cash in the bank as cash flow which can be dipped into at times like this and then put back.

eek

Post by eek » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am

Yarblockos wrote: Dropping £14 to £10 is a drop of 28%. 1100 to 1400 is an increase of 27%. I'm using a figure of 1100 paying £14 versus 1400 paying £10. Just a rough approximate, but you are correct, if we only have 500 pay on the day supporters then I can see it would work as a small increase.
But 600 (say) of those 1100 are season ticket holders so won't be paying money at the door.

So we go from 500 paying £13 at the gate to 900 paying £10 at the gate. Which means the club get £9000 from the gate rather than £6500

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:35 goals in 54 games for Harrogate tells me he can play as a striker but he didn't score in ten games at Wrexham and he's hardly scored for us so maybe we just play him at the back or not at all?
The 35 goals were before he suffered a really serious injury though. He's not been the same player since, and probably never will be.

I agree completely with DarloFan97 (a rare occurrence!) that we're not going to see the best out of him as a forward. I know some say we should play him as a forward because we signed him for that purpose. But he just hasn't delivered at all, and we look quicker, sharper and more dangerous when using others in the forward line. Now Kneeshaw is on board, it reduces the necessity to use Ainge so if we do play him, it should be at centre back where he has looked decent this season.
I largely agree, we just don’t seem to flow as well when Ainge is upfront and his style doesn’t seem to fit our 5-2-1-2 or whatever formation we play.

He has however never had a decent run at it, which Wright seems determined after spending a good chunk of money on him to give him a good try at it.

This is really where I do struggle with Wright, he keeps trying until it becomes a big problem, rather than spotting early and making a change. I guess when you are the manager you have more faith, trust and belief that it will work out and give it longer than us fans would.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am

On the money front don't we have three home games on the trot? Hopefully that will help the cash flow.
Ainge scored those goals for Harrogate pre-injury and in a side levels above where we are at currently. They actually played wingers for a start and had one of the best ones at this level supplying them (Joe Leesley).

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:05 pm

The best attacking play I’ve seen from us this season was the last 30 mins at Curzon, where we had Ainge and Harvey up top with Henshall and Thommo on either wing, ably complemented by Kokolo and Trotman respectively. He looked much more dangerous when balls were being whipped in from the flanks

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
divas wrote:I doubt we’d get 2k it we let everyone in for free unfortunately - that number is just totally unrealistic at the moment. Have we ever hit that number apart from a play off or Spennymoor game? It’s also not relevant to look at the crowd versus the average. Truth is numbers had dropped to around 1100 for a “normal” Saturday. I’d classify the Southport game as having as much appeal as the Nuneaton and Kidderminster games where we had attracted around 1100. Attendances were on the slide and the offer today was about bringing more cash through the turnstile than we had been. We managed to do that so I’d class it as a relative success.
We asked people to pay less at the turnstiles, the fact that more turned up does not mean we took more cash!
But as he's already said that takings were 40% up on the Kidderminster & Nuneaton matches, then yes it does mean we took more cash.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Shame the game was spoiled by poor officials & nasty injury to Muggleton, especially as the offer was on. Not exactly the sort of game to entice casual fans to return. Ainge hardly
much of a threat once we lost the long throws so don't see him contributing in future. Yes he has history but it is not repeating itself.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:The best attacking play I’ve seen from us this season was the last 30 mins at Curzon, where we had Ainge and Harvey up top with Henshall and Thommo on either wing, ably complemented by Kokolo and Trotman respectively. He looked much more dangerous when balls were being whipped in from the flanks
Not sure why TW has not played Kokolo, he looked good in his very first game playing wide left and for some reason has not been played there since.Did not look like scoring yesterday but they defended very well, we are much more solid at the back and cannot see us conceding many but Tommy has a problem giving some service to Ainge now Muggleston is probably out for the season.Pleased with a point, we would have lost that a couple of months ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Attendance

It’s a strange one with how the club drum up further support at Blackwell Meadows.

I think the current price structure is very responsible. Compared to Blyth last week it’s £2 more but we extend discounts by giving OAP discount to over 60s rather than 65 and allowing free entry to 11 & under rather than 10. Both these groups are crucial to our core fan base.

As fans I don’t we help sell the club with our constant highlighting of our short falls. Complaints about fan behaviour, match day experience and poor performances are a regular thing on social media. I don’t think the clubs regular statements about fan behaviour present a good impression either.

I have children in the junior Quaker club and have to say I think it’s fantastic. The pack given at the start of the season and the fact they receive a birthday card really brings that age group into club and is a level of personalisation you simply wouldn’t get at any of the local ‘big three’. It’s things like this we should be selling.

Ultimately thought following Darlington isn’t fashionable and only when we break that down will attendance start to increase. Unfortunately the way to break that may be by creating success that’s beyond our existing means.

The Game

We didn’t play badly at all against a big strong team, who came to bully and who will be much happier with a point than I think we are.

Simon Ainge is a real disappointment up front and while Tommy must want a physical presence after the last two games I’d be really disappointed if he’s ahead of both Harvey (not sure why he was dropped) or Wilson on Wednesday.

I don’t think think I’ve seen such an inept performance by an official for some time. That goes for decisions given both ways as well. He failed the keep up with game properly and tried to blag it when he was caught out. I hope there will be a report submitted as that display needs to be highlighted to the league.

Hopefully the lads who went of injured will be ok and back in the fold very soon.

Overall a disappointing afternoon but pleased with the uplift in gate receipts.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Simon Ainge is not a Harvey Saunders and Harvey Saunders is not a Simon Ainge, total opposites and need a different type of service.This is the big problem Tommy has got.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 pm

I didn't think it was that bad a game,(although certainly not a classic), against a big strong and physical team that came to bully our players, (they were not a dirty team but a lot of shirt pulling and muscling players off the ball etc that the ref did nothing about) . In fact thought that we were just starting to get on top when Muggleton was taken out. Given that we lost our full back and centre half captain, keeping a clean sheet was not bad at all.

Thought Elliott was really strong and is improving with each game, and Palmer looked really useful, with Trotman looking good going forward. While a few have mentioned Ainge,
I thought he played ok, strong in the air winning I would think 90% of the headers both in attack and defence against a big tall team, and with a bit more movement than of late, although still a little slow.

Thommo I thought was having an off day compared to games of late, but all the others I thought played ok. We are clearly short of a natural goal scorer and this game emphasised that I thought, with few real chances created but the team battled right to the end.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm

50 years wrote:While a few have mentioned Ainge,
I thought he played ok, strong in the air winning I would think 90% of the headers both in attack and defence against a big tall team, and with a bit more movement than of late, although still a little slow.

Thommo I thought was having an off day compared to games of late, but all the others I thought played ok. We are clearly short of a natural goal scorer and this game emphasised that I thought, with few real chances created but the team battled right to the end.
This is bang on. Thommo wasn't his usual self yesterday and Ainge was having to do what the quicker forward should have been doing by closing down the defenders and keeper when they had the ball. Yet all I have seen is people saying Ainge wasn't good enough.
Its a moot point anyway who plays up front on wednesday as I think Ainge will be back in defence as I can't see Galbraith being allowed to play if he came off for concussion.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Elliot Nicholson and Palmer have no physical presence, like three school kids. Need a big strong arhletic player in the middle.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Muggleton been taken off on a stretcher. Poor lad, was down for about 12 minutes before being lifted off.
Don't think I've picked this up anywhere, but was Muggleton's injury the result of a 50-50 or was it a foul by the Southport player? All the Echo says is that he came off second best.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:33 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:Muggleton been taken off on a stretcher. Poor lad, was down for about 12 minutes before being lifted off.
Don't think I've picked this up anywhere, but was Muggleton's injury the result of a 50-50 or was it a foul by the Southport player? All the Echo says is that he came off second best.
It were a fair challenge it were just one on those unfortunate things when 2 players go in for the ball at the same time..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Unfortunately, we’re in a position where our attacking threat looks consistently greater when our first choice forward isn’t playing up front.

I don’t know if it’s fitness, confidence, style, tactics, partnerships, injury or whatever - but it is a statement of fact from what we’ve all seen this season.

I do think Tommy seems pretty determined to persevere with it so I expect we may have to endure it a while longer yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
biccynana wrote:
It were a fair challenge it were just one on those unfortunate things when 2 players go in for the ball at the same time.
Cheers, Harry. From the news on another thread it sounds like bad news for the lad.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 pm

biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
biccynana wrote:
It were a fair challenge it were just one on thkose unfortunate things when 2 players go in for the ball at the same time.
Cheers, Harry. From the news on another thread it sounds like bad news for the lad.
It looked to me like he was taking the shot from range first time and jarred his foot into the ground when the other player was coming across to clear the ball. 50/50, so no blame on their player as far as I could see.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Ref never gave it as a foul, but there again he did not show any understanding of the rulebook, just abandoning the 1st half after the injury. Lots of other bizarre decisions, no support from his assistants either. Very poor & ruined the game.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 pm

jjljks wrote:Ref never gave it as a foul, but there again he did not show any understanding of the rulebook, just abandoning the 1st half after the injury. Lots of other bizarre decisions, no support from his assistants either. Very poor & ruined the game.
To be fair, abandoning the first half was the right decision after consultation with our physio

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am

tdk1 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
biccynana wrote:
It were a fair challenge it were just one on thkose unfortunate things when 2 players go in for the ball at the same time.
It looked to me like he was taking the shot from range first time and jarred his foot into the ground when the other player was coming across to clear the ball. 50/50, so no blame on their player as far as I could see.
That’s definitely what it looked like on the highlights, which may I add if you’re a bit squeamish I wouldn’t watch, it’s sickening. A really bad one.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:27 am

divas wrote:
jjljks wrote:Ref never gave it as a foul, but there again he did not show any understanding of the rulebook, just abandoning the 1st half after the injury. Lots of other bizarre decisions, no support from his assistants either. Very poor & ruined the game.
To be fair, abandoning the first half was the right decision after consultation with our physio
Yes, but not the way to do it.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 am

Its the reaction of their player that does my head in. He's screaming blue murder after the coming together. Quite why I don't know. He was at it all afternoon.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am

TFDM wrote:Its the reaction of their player that does my head in. He's screaming blue murder after the coming together. Quite why I don't know. He was at it all afternoon.
Just watched it back now. What a fucking arsehole. Their other players are clearly concerned he is badly hurt, (and the angle his leg is at is sickening) and he turns round, and he's screaming at Muggleton, hurt, on the floor, after what was an honest coming together.

I'm not one for wishing injuries on people, but if karma existed...

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 am

"I don’t think think I’ve seen such an inept performance by an official for some time. That goes for decisions given both ways as well. He failed the keep up with game properly and tried to blag it when he was caught out. I hope there will be a report submitted as that display needs to be highlighted to the league."

The referee failed to get a firm grip on reckless play from the off. This failure has to leave him culpable to the Muggleton incident, which was a debacle into how he handled it and scuttled of the pitch.. His lack of timely action actually encouraged some Southport players to commit offence after offence. There should be report and this guy needs to look in the mirror, because he is well below par on the officiating scale.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:50 am

So how will we line up on Wednesday?

Maddison,
O'Hanlon, Ainge, Hughes, Smith, Trotman,
Palmer, Elliott, Thommo,
Nicholson, Kneeshaw/Saunders

Bench of Hall, Wheatley, Burn, Saunders/Kneeshaw, Kokolo?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:01 am

TFDM wrote:Its the reaction of their player that does my head in. He's screaming blue murder after the coming together. Quite why I don't know. He was at it all afternoon.
Shame for Muggleton. He'd made a really good start with us and could definitely have seen a place with us for next season had he wanted it. Hopefully he's able to make a full and quick recovery. The reaction of their player is unacceptable. Young lad on loan from Bolton I'm sure he wouldn't like to be treated like that should he face such a serious injury.

As for the game. I'll take that as a decent point against a team who have playoffs for. Since late October time. Had they not had an awful start they would probably be fighting it out in and around 7th place. Our new found solidity in defence is the basis for building decent team for next season.

The Ainge upfront question is tough. If you break down his performance. Then on the plus side he genuinely does occupy defenders and he wins more headers than he loses. So in that sense I can see why he might just be out of confidence while he builds himself back to full match fitness.

On the other hand I really don't think the way we play suits a target man as much as when we played under Gray. The three in midfield with Nicholson in he hole means we've often got the ball centrally rather than outwide. So there aren't as many crosses being swung in for Ainge to feed off. Losing the Muggleton long throw is another blow to this.

In any case I think the decision will be made easier on Wednesday night where Ainge will move back to CB in place of Galbraith and one of Saunders or Kneeshaw I'll come in to partner Thompson. Unless Vaulks is available for us now he's on dual registration and so can take Galbraiths place. In which case I think the young lad deserves a chance to show what he can do ahead of next season.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:03 am

AndyPark wrote:So how will we line up on Wednesday?

Maddison,
Palmer, Elliott, Thommo,

Pickering aren't playing on Wednesday so perhaps a chance to play jack vaulks at CB? Let him stake a claim for next season.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am

i think our side is too lightweight in the middle.

Next season im hoping we go for something a little more physical in the middle.

Will be a key year for Tommy next year ... his signings havent worked out as planned this year.

Ainge - knackered - immobile and unfit
Hughes - cant play in midfield where he was signed to play - immobile and very very unfit
Burn - useless and seems uninterested
Henshall- seems uninterested

Most of these issues could have been spotted prior to signing as these arent football issues.

We need to get tougher on these unfit players. I wonder who scouts them?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 am

JE93 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:So how will we line up on Wednesday?

Maddison,
Palmer, Elliott, Thommo,

Pickering aren't playing on Wednesday so perhaps a chance to play jack vaulks at CB? Let him stake a claim for next season.
I know he won't but I would drop Elliott in favour of Wheatley.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg