Post AGM update.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Post AGM update.

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

I am a 500 + member and would extend again if it was offered, I also not always but a lot of times pay on the gate ,so for me it's a no brainer ,anything I can do to help the financial state of the club I will continue doing, I,m fortunate that I can do this, others are not in a position where they can afford to , we as a club must always strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for all our activities. We are fan owned as such must never get to the stage where we can't service our debt.keep the faith and we will move on as our finance improves over the year's,
Rather build slowly than not at all.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 pm

i had an idea ........ could people donate to the DFCSG the amount equal to a season ticket in return for a gold card which allows free access to match in recognition of their fund raising efforts.

Would save on the VAT as mentioned on here before.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:i had an idea ........ could people donate to the DFCSG the amount equal to a season ticket in return for a gold card which allows free access to match in recognition of their fund raising efforts.

i am pretty sure that HMRC would see through that and regard it as a tax evasion scheme.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:13 pm

The last few posts have been about the impact of the 500 club and a possible further extension. I am a 500 club member and as far as I can remember I was part of a second push for people to join the scheme and so my expiry date on my card is June 2021, which seems to fit with what others have said about the initial group having one further season, after the current one, to run.

Beyond this I am a little short on information about how a further extension, and who it might be offered to, would impact on other ticket sales against the immediate needs of the the club to close a hole in the finances.

Is it better for the club for me to continue to be a 500 club member and join in with extensions, or would it be more beneficial for me to eventually switch over to being a season ticket holder once the 500 club membership expires? Or would they both be equal in terms of money going into the club?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm

As I see it the season ticket is revenue for the season it represents,
A call for extention on 500 club is for the debt accrued to be stabilized thus allowing the club to function over the close season. So no matter what the club benefits from season ticket funds one way or another, alibet less from further seasons with extensions of 500 club.
This is just my take on it.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:What were the terms of the original 500 club scheme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you basically paid a lump sum and got a 5 year season ticket, the club got a wedge of money to help us through a period were we needed a good injection of cash at the time , this first offer expires in the 19/20 season, some members paid for a years extension, (not sure how many) the thing with 500 club it impacts on the normal sales of season tickets, which 500 club members would usually buy.
As I said before I am a member, and not sure extending again is the best way to go.
Were there any additional privileges for joining eg voting rights etc?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 pm

spen666 wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:i had an idea ........ could people donate to the DFCSG the amount equal to a season ticket in return for a gold card which allows free access to match in recognition of their fund raising efforts.

i am pretty sure that HMRC would see through that and regard it as a tax evasion scheme.
Yes that’s basic tax evasion.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:

you basically paid a lump sum and got a 5 year season ticket, the club got a wedge of money to help us through a period were we needed a good injection of cash at the time , this first offer expires in the 19/20 season, some members paid for a years extension, (not sure how many) the thing with 500 club it impacts on the normal sales of season tickets, which 500 club members would usually buy.
As I said before I am a member, and not sure extending again is the best way to go.

I don't think so , I got a nice water proof jacket which I still ware to games.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm

divas wrote:
H1987 wrote:It does feel like we're just kicking the can down the road a little. I'd prefer we move away from the 500 club model. I'm not sure I have a solution, but we can't just keep gambling for short term gain. It was probably right at the time, but i'm not entirely sure the one year extension was the right course of action either.
Playing devils advocate is there any difference to spending that income now rather than in 2/3/4 years? Maybe that extra spend this season has allowed us to stay in the NLN rather than get relegated. As it’s much easier to stop up than get promotion would it not be then considered a smart thing to do to have spent a little now to ensure we remain in the league rather than get relegated and then have the income in 2/3 years that still doesn’t get us up?
True. At the end of the day, it's a strategic gamble. I think a relegation right now, and dropping below this level, would be disastrous for the club. The frustrating part of all of this is that even one FA cup win in the past couple of years would've brought in a comparable income to what I suspect this generates. While i'm still very much on the fence with TW, I think one of the major positives he has on his CV with us is the ability to generate a profit on players. Something that just was not happening under MG.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:

The original 500 club was launched to pay for the move back to town and there is one season left. For 4 seasons not a penny has gone towards team or playing expenses.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Do we know what the shortfall is?
Can we do another Community shares pledge.
Can we just say right we need £50K (just a figure I made up) to be debt free, can you the fans help.
Can we who are the owners of the club get some fund started to help our Directors get us back to where we should be.
Sure we could do something if we know what's needed.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Tax fraud - not something we want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

H1987 wrote:While i'm still very much on the fence with TW, I think one of the major positives he has on his CV with us is the ability to generate a profit on players. Something that just was not happening under MG.
I'm not sure that is necessarily a fair comment - during MG's time with us it was all or nothing in terms of promotion. He had to think for the ultimate short term and win promotion at all costs, which he did deliver.

Crowds would have dwindled to nothing had we lurked around the lower reaches of the Evo Stik for a few years.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Beano wrote:
H1987 wrote:While i'm still very much on the fence with TW, I think one of the major positives he has on his CV with us is the ability to generate a profit on players. Something that just was not happening under MG.
I'm not sure that is necessarily a fair comment - during MG's time with us it was all or nothing in terms of promotion. He had to think for the ultimate short term and win promotion at all costs, which he did deliver.

Crowds would have dwindled to nothing had we lurked around the lower reaches of the Evo Stik for a few years.
Yes but it was supposedly Gray who drove that all or nothing approach. He could have tried to build something more sustainable but ultimately all he wanted was short term success.

If Gray had set his stall out in those first couple of seasons and said the club needs to build something long term, and delivered slightly less instant success then I think most would've been on board with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Beano wrote:

Yes, but you don't need to discard players wholesale in order to do that. You can absolutely achieve success and also have players who become profitable assets for the club. Did we sell a single player for a profit under MG? I'm not really sure we did. We seemed to collect very large squads, presumably with money we didn't really have, and then discard those on the edges... two of whom are now quite good pros in Wing and Edwards.

Imagine if our then manager had at least spotted their potential, tied them down to a contract, and then they moved on for a sell on fee of some kind... I would suspect, for example, one of the conditions Shildon got from Boro is a sell on fee if Wing is a success.

It's all ifs and buts, and i'm not erasing the good stuff MG clearly achieved, but we need to maximise our income as a club of our standing. For the years under MG we spent beyond our means, generated next to nothing in transfer revenue, and crashed out of the cups at the first hurdle time after time. Now the later hasn't exactly abated yet, but still. I'm not wholly in the TW fan club, and i'm still not entirely convinced about his ability to take the club further right now, but we should recognise the good things he has achieved, to be completely fair to him.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 pm

onewayup wrote:I am a 500 + member and would extend again if it was offered, I also not always but a lot of times pay on the gate ,so for me it's a no brainer ,anything I can do to help the financial state of the club I will continue doing, I,m fortunate that I can do this, others are not in a position where they can afford to , we as a club must always strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for all our activities. We are fan owned as such must never get to the stage where we can't service our debt.keep the faith and we will move on as our finance improves over the year's,
Rather build slowly than not at all.
I think what you do is great and I wonder how many more might like to do this online instead at the click of a button. It would be a donation rather than an extra ticket purchase which properly avoids the VAT conundrum.
I know divas is on the case with the online element, I know I’ll make use of it regularly in addition to my season ticket once established. It would be an easy way to donate the price of a ticket (even a season ticket) or any of the fund-raising events

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 pm

All done. Donations can be made here:

https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... /donations

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 pm

divas wrote:All done. Donations can be made here:

Well done that man :clap:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 am

divas wrote:All done. Donations can be made here:

The first donation is in :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 am

I believe I paid £175 x 5 years, so £875 for a 5 year season ticket. Not sure how much a season ticket costed this season, but it was I believe in excess of £200?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:

I believe I paid £175 x 5 years, so £875 for a 5 year season ticket. Not sure how much a season ticket costed this season, but it was I believe in excess of £200?
£240 so the savings pay for my dfcsg membership & 2 50/50 tickets each home game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Starting to sound like the Brexit debate with phrases like "kicking the can down the road". "hard and soft fall in budget", financial problems and even tax fraud! Everything is clearer in hindsight, but the 500 club was put there to generate enough cash to start up and get us up through the pyramid at a time when there was a risk that we could have had no club / team in the next season. Quite a brave thing to chip in for 5 seasons without any guarantee the club had any future (so hats off to those good people). It worked so well that there was a great temptation to 'go back to the well' again when the club needed more funding thanks to some mismanagement by MG and our inability to make progress in any cup campaigns. Now we are in danger of going back to that same well and it is drying up. Let's resist temptation and end the 500 club without further extensions, just return to a simpler season ticket with that 10 game flexible ticket option. Also need to ensure the two commercial contracts that have not yet come to fruition should be pursued - notwithstanding the promised pre-season friendly with York that was part of the MG deal (maybe not as still a sore point there!). At least we now have a new Finance Director and a Commercial Director who should be able to focus on keeping our ambitions within budget and safeguarding the future of the club itself. There is still a great body of support and good will with people volunteering services, raising funds in a wide variety of creative means who deserve the thanks of all Darlo fans, present and future. Look at the names on the bricks / dug-out and next season's shirt - everyone a hero.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm

jjljks wrote:Starting to sound like the Brexit debate with phrases like "kicking the can down the road". "hard and soft fall in budget", financial problems and even tax fraud! Everything is clearer in hindsight, but the 500 club was put there to generate enough cash to start up and get us up through the pyramid at a time when there was a risk that we could have had no club / team in the next season. Quite a brave thing to chip in for 5 seasons without any guarantee the club had any future (so hats off to those good people). It worked so well that there was a great temptation to 'go back to the well' again when the club needed more funding thanks to some mismanagement by MG and our inability to make progress in any cup campaigns. Now we are in danger of going back to that same well and it is drying up. Let's resist temptation and end the 500 club without further extensions, just return to a simpler season ticket with that 10 game flexible ticket option. Also need to ensure the two commercial contracts that have not yet come to fruition should be pursued - notwithstanding the promised pre-season friendly with York that was part of the MG deal (maybe not as still a sore point there!). At least we now have a new Finance Director and a Commercial Director who should be able to focus on keeping our ambitions within budget and safeguarding the future of the club itself. There is still a great body of support and good will with people volunteering services, raising funds in a wide variety of creative means who deserve the thanks of all Darlo fans, present and future. Look at the names on the bricks / dug-out and next season's shirt - everyone a hero.
What's the plan for March to make sure we have cash flow if we don't extend 500 club then?

We will run out of cash, not that long term we have an issue but cash flow is king when you want to pay the players and other things etc.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
jjljks wrote:Starting to sound like the Brexit debate with phrases like "kicking the can down the road". "hard and soft fall in budget", financial problems and even tax fraud! Everything is clearer in hindsight, but the 500 club was put there to generate enough cash to start up and get us up through the pyramid at a time when there was a risk that we could have had no club / team in the next season. Quite a brave thing to chip in for 5 seasons without any guarantee the club had any future (so hats off to those good people). It worked so well that there was a great temptation to 'go back to the well' again when the club needed more funding thanks to some mismanagement by MG and our inability to make progress in any cup campaigns. Now we are in danger of going back to that same well and it is drying up. Let's resist temptation and end the 500 club without further extensions, just return to a simpler season ticket with that 10 game flexible ticket option. Also need to ensure the two commercial contracts that have not yet come to fruition should be pursued - notwithstanding the promised pre-season friendly with York that was part of the MG deal (maybe not as still a sore point there!). At least we now have a new Finance Director and a Commercial Director who should be able to focus on keeping our ambitions within budget and safeguarding the future of the club itself. There is still a great body of support and good will with people volunteering services, raising funds in a wide variety of creative means who deserve the thanks of all Darlo fans, present and future. Look at the names on the bricks / dug-out and next season's shirt - everyone a hero.
What's the plan for March to make sure we have cash flow if we don't extend 500 club then?

We will run out of cash, not that long term we have an issue but cash flow is king when you want to pay the players and other things etc.
:thumbup:

Lots of we should do this/that but no solutions to the problem as usual. The club isn’t offering membership to the 500 for the fans benefit. It needs cash, quickly.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm

If York were to agree to playing us in a friendly in say July, do you think we would be better off playing it at BM or at their new stadium as part of their official opening series?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Divas, that's great but does it need to be out on twitter and Facebook, pinned? That raise the roof thing people had on all their posts was good too! I'm an old git so some techie stuff is beyond me so well done!

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:07 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Divas, that's great but does it need to be out on twitter and Facebook, pinned? That raise the roof thing people had on all their posts was good too! I'm an old git so some techie stuff is beyond me so well done!
It’s a bit of a soft launch at the moment - I believe there will be a bit more info coming very soon at which point we’ll make things a bit more official

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Cheers.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 pm

1. Get the 2 commercial contracts to completion (whatever they were) - job for CD
2. Push the existing 10 match ticket and/or a 6 match mini-season ticket
3, Football festival / family carnival / fun 6-a-side competition at Easter
4. Suggestions from other fans - some great ideas out there, but time is short

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm

jjljks wrote:

1. Get the 2 commercial contracts to completion (whatever they were) - job for CD
2. Push the existing 10 match ticket and/or a 6 match mini-season ticket
3, Football festival / family carnival / fun 6-a-side competition at Easter
4. Suggestions from other fans - some great ideas out there, but time is short
So are you saying the board should throw their weight behind these suggestions and not do the 500 club?

If they don’t hit the cash required we compete the below.

We don’t pay the players
Fail to pay other bills
Sell Any player we might get a few quid for, that’s if the contract is valid after non payment

How much does each suggestion bring in, time is tight and I guess we have to take the option which has the greatest success opportunity. Which one would you seriously put your name to and push it forward, remember if it goes wrong you get the blame and have that responsibility if you were making the decisions?