Thoughts on Kneeshaw?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Thoughts on Kneeshaw?

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Personally would like to see him signed up at least until the end of the season. Liked him last time round. Have been doing some asking and Party Marty thought he was too much of a 'flair' player for us. Very skilful, nice lad with a nice family and used to play for the Spraire Lads.

I just think we need another striker option and if he wants to get himself in the shop window A la Nelson, then we could be the right fit for now. He did well for Sacramento in a high quality league and obviously we need to replace Hervey in the close season anyway. Only thing is funds.....

Spyman

Re: Thoughts on Kneeshaw?

Post by Spyman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:41 pm

If we can make the numbers work to bring him in then it's a no-brainer. We could do with more cutting edge up front, he's clearly good enough for this level and as you say, another chance for us to put a player in the shop window which could hopefully at least cover his wages down the line.

With Vaulks now on a dual registration I wonder if we could ship Burns out and bring Kneeshaw in in his place?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Spyman wrote:I wonder if we could ship Burns out and bring Kneeshaw in in his place?
I don’t think McDonalds are hiring atm

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:49 pm

He looks pretty decent on the highlights video on his Facebook page and he did manage 9 goals in about 20 games for Blyth (including 5 in one game) before heading out to the States in July 2016. If we've got the wriggle room in our finances maybe a deal to the end of the season would suit both parties. One thing is clear, we are playing better now but are still crying out for another option to help finish off all the good approach work.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:30 pm

He looked really good when he came on and I doubt we'd have invited him along, if there wasn't an intention to sign him if he proved himself.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:28 pm

How old is Kneeshaw? We do have to plan for the long-term as well as immediate replacement for Harvey. Granted we need someone with scoring ability and experience but think he is in last chance saloon for a professional career. Hopefully, he can raise his attitude to match his skills, only then is he worth for us to invest our hard-earned money. Let's put our faith in TW and the board to make a good decision.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:30 pm

jjljks wrote:How old is Kneeshaw? We do have to plan for the long-term as well as immediate replacement for Harvey. Granted we need someone with scoring ability and experience but think he is in last chance saloon for a professional career. Hopefully, he can raise his attitude to match his skills, only then is he worth for us to invest our hard-earned money. Let's put our faith in TW and the board to make a good decision.
He's only 24

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Wilson is a darlington lad born and bred in the town
So no travelling problems, and he is fast with ability.
And at only 24 can develop further with his home town club. We shall see.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Get him signed. We could clearly sell him on to a profit, he's capable of playing at the level above.

I don't even think this is really a gamble. It's good business sense. Speculate a little to accumulate. It's not a sure thing, nothing is in football, but I don't feel it's a big risk.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 pm

What makes him capable of playing at the level above given his career to date?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 pm

His last club

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Thought he looked decent last time around at the level we were at. I read something in another thread recently suggesting his attitude wasn’t right but I have to say that is not my recollection. I hope his trial goes well and he can add something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:03 am

Darlo2807 wrote:
jjljks wrote:How old is Kneeshaw? We do have to plan for the long-term as well as immediate replacement for Harvey. Granted we need someone with scoring ability and experience but think he is in last chance saloon for a professional career. Hopefully, he can raise his attitude to match his skills, only then is he worth for us to invest our hard-earned money. Let's put our faith in TW and the board to make a good decision.
He's only 24
Thanks. Lots of other factors in his favour so provided he isn't demanding excessive wages and he continues to put in plenty of effort then he looks like he is worth a punt.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 am

m62exile wrote:Thought he looked decent last time around at the level we were at. I read something in another thread recently suggesting his attitude wasn’t right but I have to say that is not my recollection. I hope his trial goes well and he can add something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His attitude wasn't an issue whatsoever, MG just thought he wasn't much of a team player and therefore didn't suit his style of play.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 am

Is Kneeshaw unattached at the moment? Might be worth a punt until the end of the season
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Is Kneeshaw unattached at the moment? Might be worth a punt until the end of the season
Yes, he's on trial. He was the trialist that scored the other night against Bishop.

Only 24, and has potential resale value. I know the second level in the US isn't setting the world alight, but it *is* a professional league, and it's a higher standard than the conference north. Probably the conference also.

He's probably been playing on very nice pitches, which is a bit different, but i'd be very confident he can be a good player for us. I hope we get something done, and i hope we opt for an 18 month contract, just in case he does set the league alight in a way Nelson did, and then we end up with nothing for it (albeit a good boost in the league).

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Is Kneeshaw unattached at the moment? Might be worth a punt until the end of the season
Yes, he's on trial. He was the trialist that scored the other night against Bishop.

Only 24, and has potential resale value. I know the second level in the US isn't setting the world alight, but it *is* a professional league, and it's a higher standard than the conference north. Probably the conference also.
Why do you say that? (Not making a point here, just genuinely interested - I confess to knowing nothing about the 2nd tier I American.

While the Conference isn't a full time league as such, the majority of clubs are.

I think purely on a numbers point of view, we could with signing Kneeshaw if we can make the finances work. Neither Saunders or Ainge have fully convinced as strikers this season, especially the latter who I suspect is more use to us as a defender. Another forward would be beneficial for us without doubt.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Happy to keep until end of season, nothing more; been burned too much already and need to leave flexibility for the new manager in the summer or whenever we can get rid of TW

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Maybe we could agree a contract with an option for the club to automatically extend it for a year in the summer? That'd give the degree of flexibility to the club, but also protect us from potentially losing him for nothing if he does well.

I really think he can be a great player for us, but I would expect he wants to play full time football, possibly back in the states or in Europe. So we have two options really - agree with him a short term contract and lose him for nothing when someone does offer him that chance, or agree a longer term one (18 months deal) with a release clause if a pro team comes in for him.

I think he's always been a very talented footballer, who has never really found an ideal position. I think with the nature of our small squad, and relative dearth of options, it'd be a good deal for all involved. It gets him playing and puts him in the market window for a move to a pro club - and Nelson just did very well out of this, so we can do that. However, as we'd be picking up his salary, i'd want something in return for us doing this. Obviously, this would all be contingent on how much money we have available, but we've shed a lot of players this year, and assuming he's getting paid nothing right now and lives in the town... lets hope a relatively modest deal can be done.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:35 am

eddie-rowles wrote:Happy to keep until end of season, nothing more; been burned too much already and need to leave flexibility for the new manager in the summer or whenever we can get rid of TW
It's a good job that the people who run our club don't share your views.