Bradford PA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Bradford PA

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Looks like the bankrolling is coming to an end and the tiny crowds have finally caught up with them......

Nicky Wroe says joining Boston United was an ‘easy decision’ after being told the entire Bradford Park Avenue squad were being put up for grabs.

The former Barnsley, York City and Preston North End midfielder has been part of the BPA side which reached the National League North play-offs last season and spent much of this campaign on top of the table.

But Wroe told The Boston Standard manager Mark Bower had been warned his players were free to leave the Horsfall Stadium.

“Basically, a couple of weeks ago the gaffer had a team meeting and said that, instead of getting backing, he was getting his budget cut and that everybody would have their name circulated at the request of the chairman and people above him,” Wroe said.

“He was obliged to inform us as soon as anybody came in. It’s real strange, I’ve never encountered it before. “Basically, they’ve come out and said behind the scenes they’re not ready to go up. But when are you ready to go up? What does that say to the players?”

I know Bradford are trying to play this down but if Wroe's right I can see them falling away now.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Bradford PA

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/93113125023036 ... 79?sfns=cl

They say here that they can be sustainable in the NL but after ‘rebalancing’ on and off the field

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Wouldn’t mind Beesley joining us if he’s going free :thumbup:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:43 pm

That statement is the biggest load of PR guff I've heard. The player's version is likely to be much more accurate. I also reckon they'll sink like a stone.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Always enjoyed our trips to Bradford PA, I hope they've got enough points to stay up, as I can't see them winning many more over the remainder of the season.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Wouldn’t mind Beesley joining us if he’s going free :thumbup:
Sounds like it’s sale only .
Wonder if it includes the manager.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 pm

I'll bet Bower won't be there next season. Looks like he was hoping to strengthen rather than put players up for grabs. The owner has put in seven figures over the past three seasons but says they will have to be more sustainable going forward as they were facing a big deficit this season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Would happily have Bower in charge here next season....

*Removes pin, throws grenade, runs away.*
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 pm

We'd all assumed he'd done it on a shoestring. Apparently not. Be interesting to see how he does with a budget cut.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:We'd all assumed he'd done it on a shoestring.
No we all hadn't.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm

I think they've had a good, rather than spectacular, budget. Certainly they couldn't hang on to Adam Boyes last summer when he heard the Spendy vibes. But they've struggled badly to get more people through the turnstiles, even with two very good seasons being challengers.

On January 19 they had a crowd of 373 for a home match with Blyth... when you look at home support of 300 for a team in the play-off picture and not long ago top of the league, you can see the problem.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Our scouts should be all over this, do we have scouts?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

I don't think these players will be available on a free loan basis.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Keeper has gone to Altringham tonight

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I thought Lewis Knight was their stand our player when we played them at Horsfall. Young, skilful, strong and pacey winger. Former Leeds youth. Definitely worth a look.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 pm

LOL does no one get it, we have no money to sign anyone.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Tapping up for next season

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Another of the players to have left the club has said on Facebook that the message the players got was that the club doesn't want to get promoted, presumably because they just can't afford it. He then deleted the post. I can imagine there would have to be a stack of work at that ground and the prospect of trips to Dover and the like probably fills them with dread.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:Our scouts should be all over this, do we have scouts?
Some of our ball boys might be?

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:30 pm

Lolol ... good one that

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Another of the players to have left the club has said on Facebook that the message the players got was that the club doesn't want to get promoted, presumably because they just can't afford it. He then deleted the post. I can imagine there would have to be a stack of work at that ground and the prospect of trips to Dover and the like probably fills them with dread.
Some northern league clubs will probably do similiar,
Start flogging squad as they look food for been promoted
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Always enjoyed our trips to Bradford PA, I hope they've got enough points to stay up, as I can't see them winning many more over the remainder of the season.
Only way they’ll go down is if they get a points deduction. No way the tally required to stay up will be higher than last season, and no way BPA dont pick up at least another 5-6 points

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:15 am

Could just be an important game for BPA on 19th April... and for us!?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:29 am

They're not going down, as someone has said, they only need a handful of a points.

Shame they didn't want this fire sale in the summer. They certainly have a few players who would help us out no end. The only possibility might be if they release players, or tell them they're free to go at the seasons end (so we can get them signed up for next year).

I'd err on the side of the player who said the club don't want to get promoted. They don't have the money or set up for the national, and would have to spend a lot more than promotion is worth. Of course, that's not really fair on the players, or the few fans that they do have, but such is life in the lower reaches.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:Wouldn’t mind Beesley joining us if he’s going free :thumbup:
Sounds like it’s sale only .
Wonder if it includes the manager.
Isn't Beesley on loan from Salford?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 pm

They’re trimming their squad and replacing with loanees...sensible move

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:26 am

LoidLucan wrote:Another of the players to have left the club has said on Facebook that the message the players got was that the club doesn't want to get promoted, presumably because they just can't afford it. He then deleted the post. I can imagine there would have to be a stack of work at that ground and the prospect of trips to Dover and the like probably fills them with dread.
Not the first time I've heard this tactic at a club, although not publicly as in this case. As others have mentioned, the Northern League springs to mind and a few years ago I know the owners at Bromley built their club up on this plan - got to the National South, then each season would get enough points on the board in the first half of the season before falling away (quite dramatically) after Christmas. However they have now got the resources and infrastructure to have a crack at the National League where they currently are now and are holding their own.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 am

I imagine they could get into a lot of trouble if they are intentionally making changes to lose some games, no wonder that those player comments disappeared so quickly.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I imagine they could get into a lot of trouble if they are intentionally making changes to lose some games, no wonder that those player comments disappeared so quickly.
How can you punish a side for selling / releasing players to avoid making losses?

That allegation could be laid at Darlington for selling Dtyche and at most clubs who sell players.

I know where you are coming from, but a loss making club have a perfect defence to such allegations.

It would be different perhaps if club were profitable, but even then, it's up to a club who they buy and srll

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am

lo36789 wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:Our scouts should be all over this, do we have scouts?
Some of our ball boys might be?
Are they old enough to be scouts? Just cubs I would have thought. :roll: