Curzon V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curzon V Darlington

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the game in good company. Darlo fans all around the ground, some even standng in torrential rain. Great effort by the lads and what an equaliser! We were asleep for their goal, seconds from kick off, ball looked liked it was going for a corner (it didn't) and they were quickest to it. Loads of chances, saves, near misses. Happy with a point. Mcfc did you spend the second half in the bar?!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 pm

Think this is a very significant result and a very different draw from the others such as Southport where we were very lucky. Today we came from behind and could have won against one of the better teams - a bit dozy for their goal but maybe TW knows what he's doing with Elliot ... and who knows, maybe the rest. He's getting the best out of Thommo and if we carry on like this we (I) might have to stop knocking him. I suppose the sensible view is that he was never that bad but still needs to learn how to think tactically - he needs one of those black boards with little men. Shame about York City eh.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 pm

We probably did enough to win three games, never mind one, and I'm sure that if a Nelson had been in the side it would have been three points. The approach play was very good and we had them on the back foot for much of the time but just couldn't produce the finishing touch to the good work in and around the box. Any goal machines going spare for free?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:54 pm

The switch to 442 was a great move and I thought Henshall looked terrific on the left wing...willing to take on his man and whipped in some great left foot crosses. Was also good to see Kokolo come on. Pleased he stuck with Elliott...good performer and great strike for the equaliser (plus the first half curler the keeper tipped over). Pretty solid at the back early on, then got a bit shaky either side of half time, only to finish solidly again. We looked great going forwards, esp 442 with Thommo/Henshall out wide. Good to see us battle back for a point but also disappointed not to have won it based on the last 20mins

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Thought it was a good game, fast pace and some good football, they had 3 good chances and we had a good half a dozen. We lack a finisher, Saunders was getting in good positions but shots not on target, (although right idea going for far post area from out wide like Gabbadini used to, only he usually hit the target :) ). Don't think anyone had a poor game and Elliott was the man of the match for me today with Thommo second.

Would like to see the video of the Curzon player who caught the ball as it was going out, it looked from where I was that he was at least a foot inside the line and the ball was in play, obviously given as goal kick but would be interesting to see it again.

Only two things I thought were issues, (other than shots on target of course), first one being throw in's where we constantly just launch it and lose the ball over 50% of the time and the other one was being strong in the 50/50 balls where at times we seemed to pull our foot out and make it easy for them to take the ball - but minor issues overall to be honest on a good all around display.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:17 pm

We also had a couple of good penalty shouts for trips in the first and second half and I think one of their players did have his hands on the ball in the box and the keeper took it from him. I don't think a goal-kick was given, I think it was still in play and the ref allowed the keeper to play it out. Over to the highlights to confirm or deny.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
shawry wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
joejaques wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:The ref were a clueless fcuker and no mistake

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
What do you expect? If the refs were any good, they'd be plying their trade higher up the pyramid. :roll:
Not necessarily. All good refs start at the bottom and work their way higher up. There's no reason (in theory) why there shouldn't be a fair few good refs at this level, who are simply passing by on their climb.
I'd also argue that while I understand realistically the better refs officiate higher up, there should be a minimum level, essentially a ref from our division should be capable of reffing a premiership game to a decent standard, otherwise you are effectively being penalised with officials who have made glaring errors or just aren't good enough because you are at a lower level

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
This must be a contender for the stupidest post ever on this forum
I don't know there has been a few contenders over the years. :roll: :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Great point today against an inform team, slowly but surely TW is turning things around and steering us to calmer waters. Wonder when Ginge is going to start his posts?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:12 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We also had a couple of good penalty shouts for trips in the first and second half and I think one of their players did have his hands on the ball in the box and the keeper took it from him. I don't think a goal-kick was given, I think it was still in play and the ref allowed the keeper to play it out. Over to the highlights to confirm or deny.
That was incredibly odd. I didn't think a goal kick was given either. The Lion was staring straight at it from 10 yards away, and the defender was literally holding the ball in his hands for three or four seconds. How in God's name was that not a penalty?

Trotman in the first half looked a good shout too, and ainge apparently, although didn't see it, was a clear penalty.

Oh well. Best performance I've seen this season. Change of shape worked well, at the right time. No complaints from me about darlo. Maybe Harvey could have taken a touch for one of his chances but he played well overall, as did everyone.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 pm

tdk1 wrote:The Lion was staring straight at it from 10 yards away
:shock:

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Not necessarily. All good refs start at the bottom and work their way higher up. There's no reason (in theory) why there shouldn't be a fair few good refs at this level, who are simply passing by on their climb.[/quote]I'd also argue that while I understand realistically the better refs officiate higher up, there should be a minimum level, essentially a ref from our division should be capable of reffing a premiership game to a decent standard, otherwise you are effectively being penalised with officials who have made glaring errors or just aren't good enough because you are at a lower level

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk[/quote]

This must be a contender for the stupidest post ever on this forum[/quote]

I don't know there has been a few contenders over the years. :roll: :roll:[/quote][/quote]

Indeed Peter....have you found the moon yet? :)

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 pm

biccynana wrote:
tdk1 wrote:The Lion was staring straight at it from 10 yards away
:shock:
Uh, yeah. Did nobody else notice the lion?

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Great point today against an inform team, slowly but surely TW is turning things around and steering us to calmer waters. Wonder when Ginge is going to start his posts?
Pete a few weeks ago we were 9 points clear of relegation last week it was 7 points after today wee are 6 points clear of relegation. I think I prefer TW to be steering us back to those choppy Waters of a few weeks ago!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Well I’m finally home and warm again after being stood in the rain from 2.30-5pm in that open terrace.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game though, thought both teams played some decent footy at times. Curzon has a couple of clear cut chances in the first half and should have went in 2-0 up.
We dominated the ball in the second half and should have wrapped the game up when Harvey took his chance just wide.

A decent following from Darlington fans today. I’d estimate just over 200, we definitely had more fans than the home team today.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Good stuff today in the second half.

What I noticed today watching FA Cup is those vests players wear. I believe they have a gps tracking system and spit out all sorts of data.

I think we should fund raise for them and make our semi professional setup a little more professional. It’s small investments like that which can make a huge improvement in the playing side.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 pm

AndyPark wrote:Well I’m finally home and warm again after being stood in the rain from 2.30-5pm in that open terrace.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game though, thought both teams played some decent footy at times. Curzon has a couple of clear cut chances in the first half and should have went in 2-0 up.
We dominated the ball in the second half and should have wrapped the game up when Harvey took his chance just wide.

A decent following from Darlington fans today. I’d estimate just over 200, we definitely had more fans than the home team today.
I just don't know how these team survive on little fan coming through the gates

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Rich chairman or sponsor

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:59 am

bga wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Great point today against an inform team, slowly but surely TW is turning things around and steering us to calmer waters. Wonder when Ginge is going to start his posts?
Pete a few weeks ago we were 9 points clear of relegation last week it was 7 points after today wee are 6 points clear of relegation. I think I prefer TW to be steering us back to those choppy Waters of a few weeks ago!
It's one of those where, depending on your agenda, you can spin the stat to whatever you want.

We're either three games without a win (four for those who believe the Bob Carolgees Charity Bowl game v the Chimphangers was significant).

Or we've lost just one in our last four or two of our last eight.

All that says to me is we're as inconsistent as we've always been under TW. But like you say, certainly no evidence we're being "steered to calmer waters".
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 am

Calmer waters.....we are still in a relegation battle for goodness sake. Teams below us win their game in hand and the table looks pretty worrying to me still.

Playing well in patches for sure but absolutely no cutting edge since Nelson left. TW for me still not showing he can use the loans that well. Only Smith currently is definitely strengthening the team and the only one even playing regularly. Why Kokolo didn’t play yesterday, who knows. Why have the guy and not play him when your regular wing back is injured. He offers something different which surely is whole idea of loanees!
It’s a good few games now since Nelson last played and we are crying out for a forward.
All this “TW is doing a lot better”. Is he really, same inconsistencies and mysterious decisions for me.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 am

Quakerlad wrote:Calmer waters.....we are still in a relegation battle for goodness sake. Teams below us win their game in hand and the table looks pretty worrying to me still.

Playing well in patches for sure but absolutely no cutting edge since Nelson left. TW for me still not showing he can use the loans that well. Only Smith currently is definitely strengthening the team and the only one even playing regularly. Why Kokolo didn’t play yesterday, who knows. Why have the guy and not play him when your regular wing back is injured. He offers something different which surely is whole idea of loanees!
It’s a good few games now since Nelson last played and we are crying out for a forward.
All this “TW is doing a lot better”. Is he really, same inconsistencies and mysterious decisions for me.
Sorry but this all seems a bit harsh.

We are crying out for a forward. You mean like the one that Wright was forced to sell. You mean like the one he sourced but for pretty obvious reasons couldn’t extend the loan for. You mean like the one he has on trial but will need to prove their worth. You mean like the one we have who was top scorer in the division last season but is forced to play CB because the person who would be centre back is not available.

It’s not through want of trying that we don’t have a goalscorer. If he has managed to get the rest of the team playing well and that is the missing piece then it is harsh to throw blame at him.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 am

lo36789 wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:Calmer waters.....we are still in a relegation battle for goodness sake. Teams below us win their game in hand and the table looks pretty worrying to me still.

Sorry but this all seems a bit harsh.

We are crying out for a forward. You mean like the one that Wright was forced to sell. You mean like the one he sourced but for pretty obvious reasons couldn’t extend the loan for. You mean like the one he has on trial but will need to prove their worth. You mean like the one we have who was top scorer in the division last season but is forced to play CB because the person who would be centre back is not available.

It’s not through want of trying that we don’t have a goalscorer. If he has managed to get the rest of the team playing well and that is the missing piece then it is harsh to throw blame at him.
The fact is though, quite a lot of this is an accumulation of his failures earlier in the season. If he had got things right during the summer and early part of the season [assembling a balanced squad and budgeting more conservatively], then we might not have been scrambling around financially and reassembling the squad mid-season.

I have said it before but I will again, a lot of the recent form has only papered over these failings and a lot is to do with the loanees - goalscoring definitely with Nelson. However, now he has moved on, we lack a cutting edge and whether we get out of a relegation fight will be down to his judgement of the current options or a loanee. You can't just brush his failings under the carpet, he still has a lot of work to do to ensure the club is not relegated!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 am

Totally agree with Quakerlad and his point regarding Kokolo, a baffling decision not to start him at LB rather than Elliott who should have started in midfield.What message is this sending to the lad, he looked really good in his first game for us but has hardly had a look in since for whatever reason.Cannot imagine Sunderland will be too happy and hopefully will not impact on future loan deals but really think Tommy got this wrong not starting him as a direct replacement for O'Hanlon

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:17 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Totally agree with Quakerlad and his point regarding Kokolo, a baffling decision not to start him at LB rather than Elliott who should have started in midfield.What message is this sending to the lad, he looked really good in his first game for us but has hardly had a look in since for whatever reason.Cannot imagine Sunderland will be too happy and hopefully will not impact on future loan deals but really think Tommy got this wrong not starting him as a direct replacement for O'Hanlon

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
So how would you have got Palmer in the team today, who would you drop to get him in, I guess Wright may have the same issue that Barnsley want him and Smith to play week in/week out also. Maybe Sunderland are happy with Kokolo in and around the squad whilst Barnsley are expecting starts, who knows.

I did however think it was a little strange Elliott playing wing back with Kokolo on the bench, Elliott played well enough and as a one off it wasn't the worst decision. First half Elliott done well holding them up, whilst he often had two players coming down his wing.

Another note Elliott done well when moved into midfield and Kokolo was decent enough when he came on at left back. For me this is what Wright often struggles with, he has decent players he just doesn't always get them in the right formation/selection.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:39 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
divas wrote:If only the solution was as easy to identify as the problem.
We have the solution. Stick Ainge back up front, simple as that.

Go 4-4-2 like we finished today with two wingers (then you don't need to put Ainge at the back) and work on whipping cross after cross in. He will start getting on the end of those crosses as he regains fitness and form. He really is superb in the air, as proven at Harrogate.

We've never used him properly yet, at the start of the season the players looked like they weren't sure what sort of service to provide Ainge and Styche, and went up the middle far too often. In those first few matches I thought Ainge actually did quite well, also scoring 3 or 4 goals, and although not at peak fitness, was winning headers that he had no right to.

Then he got injured and has been in and out after that - had a few fitness problems to be fair, but hopefully that's now behind him and he can get sharper.

We all know he's a good defender, but he's also a good striker and that is why we signed him. Seeing as though we have nothing else up front, we MUST use him up front. If he flops, then fair enough then, lesson learned. But I think he'll come good.

People who keep saying he should just be played in defence are a) talking nonsense, and b) not seeing the bigger picture, in that we can't afford to have our "star" striker wasted in defence when his job is to score goals.

Think about it, we've got no money and are paying someone strikers money to sit in the back 4? Yes, we've had to play him there due to injuries, but those people who think he should *stay* there are simply not thinking of the financials.

He HAS to play up front, going forwards. We need to learn to play to his strengths.
This hits the nail on the head re Ainge. Anyone who has watched that youtube video of Ainge's goals for Harrogate can see that he needs good crosses into the box in order to score goals, yet we have never set up to play that way. 442, Kokolo (who's looked average at LWB but decent when he played further forwards) and Thompson out wide with a brief to whip crosses into the box - then we can see whether Ainge still has it or not.

Of course, the problem with that would be that with 5 at the back we look somewhat more defensively sound (relatively speaking) than with 4 at the back. I guess its a decision for Wright to make which system gives us the best chance of avoiding relegation in the short term.

Looking towards next season if Ainge is still here then we would have to set up to try and maximise his talents as a striker. With an even further reduced budget I highly doubt we will be able to afford Ainge + another 'quality' strikers wage.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 am

Not forgetting that it was Henshall who was playing left wing and not Kokolo who was left back, with Elliott moving into CM with Palmer (Nicholson and Wheatley coming off). Henshall was quality yesterday and his crosses were top notch. If we’re going 442 it’s gotta be. Maddison
Trotman Smith Hughes Kokolo
Thommo Palmer (if he has to play) plus one other (JN, JW, TE) Henshall
Ainge Saunders

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:11 am

I think you have to find a place for Nicholson, but probably not in a midfield 2. He's probably been our best player this season. I'd try to find a space for palmer regardless of whether it's stipulated by Barnsley, he looks very good.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Not forgetting that it was Henshall who was playing left wing and not Kokolo who was left back, with Elliott moving into CM with Palmer (Nicholson and Wheatley coming off). Henshall was quality yesterday and his crosses were top notch. If we’re going 442 it’s gotta be. Maddison
Ainge Saunders
I agree somewhat but your stumbling block is Nicholson can’t play in a CM of two, so we would need to drop our leading goal scorer to do this.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:21 am

There seems to be a conundrum over how we fit all the available players, and more particularly the loanees, into a starting line up. Perhaps we should remind ourselves of the reliance on academy players to fill the bench for such a long period earlier in the season. It was clear from the few times that they were called upon to replace those already on the field that the management did not feel they could make an impact on the game. So now we have two or three players who can cover in midfield and defence, and who the management can call upon when the first 11 need to be freshened up either from game to game or during a match. There is also the point made yesterday that it also buys you some flexibility in the way the team is set up, and it is never a bad idea to have a plan B.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:30 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Not forgetting that it was Henshall who was playing left wing and not Kokolo who was left back, with Elliott moving into CM with Palmer (Nicholson and Wheatley coming off). Henshall was quality yesterday and his crosses were top notch. If we’re going 442 it’s gotta be. Maddison
Ainge Saunders
I agree somewhat but your stumbling block is Nicholson can’t play in a CM of two, so we would need to drop our leading goal scorer to do this.
Well we could revert back to the 4-5-1 that served us well last season with Ainge as the focal point. Get him in the middle, whip crosses in from both sides, have a deep lying forward/advanced midfielder (Nicholson) doing what Syers used to do. Drop Saunders to the bench, he needs a rest, and he can be brought on as an impact sub for a while.

Maddison

Trotman Smith Galbraith/Huges Kokolo/O'Hanlon

Thompson Elliott Palmer/Wheatley Henshall

Nicholson

Ainge

This formation to me seems obvious, depending on the fitness of Ainge and Henshall

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:34 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Ainge Saunders
Well we could revert back to the 4-5-1 that served us well last season with Ainge as the focal point. Get him in the middle, whip crosses in from both sides, have a deep lying forward/advanced midfielder (Nicholson) doing what Syers used to do. Drop Saunders to the bench, he needs a rest, and he can be brought on as an impact sub for a while.

Maddison

Trotman Smith Galbraith/Huges Kokolo/O'Hanlon

Thompson Elliott Palmer/Wheatley Henshall

Nicholson

Ainge

This formation to me seems obvious, depending on the fitness of Ainge and Henshall
This looks a good shout, Nicholson has as much energy as Saunders and for me is the better player, he is always the first name I look for when the team is announced.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg