New loan signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

New loan signings

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Well now that we have lost two I hope TW and AW don’t sit on their laurels and get two more in. We still have a waifer thin squad and players that are injury prone. Personally I would have liked Wollerton to have stayed as he never got a fair shot.
Or now that the dust has settled is TW going to go back to his old ways and persist with just about getting a fit 11 together and putting academy players on the bench.
It will be interesting to see what happens over the next week.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Gow9900

Re: New loan signings

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 pm

I’d imagine it’s all in hand, Wollerton only left today and Nelson yesterday.

I’d imagine it depends on the players available, whether we can get them where we don’t have to pay much/any of their wages, whether there parent clubs want them playing National League North and whether the players identified see it as beneficial to their development to join us.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 am

Any player or players brought in have got to be the right players, there's no point bringing in players just for the sake of it.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 am

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

Shame to see Nelson go but one where surely we all expected him not to stay with us as he looks capable of playing higher. Wollerton never really got much of a chance so hard to decide if he will be a miss or not. Glad to see we are wanting to replace these lads though and lets not forget we have a couple of players coming back into the squad after being injured or on loan, Ainge and dare I say Caton.
Hopefully we can get the Barnsley lads tied down until the end of the season as I think they are possibly the key to us sustaining our recent improvement in form. I think we need another 4 wins and a couple of draws and that will see us safe for this season. The sooner we can get them then the more chance we have of looking up towards that 7th spot although we will have to go on borderline title form from now until the end of the season but you never know in this league...

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Agree about the Barnsley lads, more Smith than Palmer - Palmer has shown glimpses of quality but looked a bit casual in some of his appearances, needs to remember this isn't u-23 football and if he wants to make a career in the professional game he needs to be standing out at this level, he's 21 this year not a callow 18 year old.

Smith on the other hand has been excellent and I'm sure he'll eventually make it higher up. Really important for us he signs for the rest of the season IMO

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 pm

sue_donym wrote:Agree about the Barnsley lads, more Smith than Palmer - Palmer has shown glimpses of quality but looked a bit casual in some of his appearances, needs to remember this isn't u-23 football and if he wants to make a career in the professional game he needs to be standing out at this level, he's 21 this year not a callow 18 year old.

Smith on the other hand has been excellent and I'm sure he'll eventually make it higher up. Really important for us he signs for the rest of the season IMO
I think Smith is learning and for his own personal growth this will be massive for him and I’m sure he’d be desperate to stay. He actual gives the back 3 a bit of balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

D_F_C wrote:
sue_donym wrote:Agree about the Barnsley lads, more Smith than Palmer - Palmer has shown glimpses of quality but looked a bit casual in some of his appearances, needs to remember this isn't u-23 football and if he wants to make a career in the professional game he needs to be standing out at this level, he's 21 this year not a callow 18 year old.

I think Smith is learning and for his own personal growth this will be massive for him and I’m sure he’d be desperate to stay. He actual gives the back 3 a bit of balance

Agree Smith has brought strength to the defence and would be a useful addition to the squad. Jury is out on Palmer, has shown control & some good touches but can fade. Perhaps can benefit from some muscle building and a few more matches?

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:41 am

Just to bring this back up. After finding that Palmer was not in the squad for last week's match, I don't recall seeing anything about what his situation is. Is he still considered to be on loan with us or has he gone back? And what of the possible additional loans to replace those who have already returned to their clubs - anyone heard anything?
Last edited by en passant on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am

:cry:
Last edited by jjljks on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am

Does Harvey Saunders count as a new loan signing? If so, surely we have restricted our squad.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

jjljks wrote:Does Harvey Saunders count as a new loan signing? If so, surely we have restricted our squad.
Yes of course. I guess the decision was taken that he is better than what we thought we could attract. At the moment pending the decision of the Barnsley lads we have 4 loan spaces filled so can bring in one more.

I’d expect us to wait until towards the end of the window to make our move as I’d expect us to have our eyes on players who may think they can get a loan higher up the pyramid

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Will Smith extends his loan to the end of the season. Great news for us. Would be good to confirm Palmer, Kokolo and another CF alongside Saunders.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

JE93 wrote:Will Smith extends his loan to the end of the season. Great news for us. Would be good to confirm Palmer, Kokolo and another CF alongside Saunders.
Great news! His contract expires at the end of the season so it will be interesting to see what happens beyond the end of the season.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

I’m surprised Nelson hasn’t gone somewhere else yet.

We should also be on the look out for permanent additions too. Surely we have some money freed up now Harvey has gone (presumably for a fee, and his wages will no longer be on our budget). Michael Sweet from Consett anyone? Absolutely banging them in, would surely be a low cost risk?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 pm

H1987 wrote:I’m surprised Nelson hasn’t gone somewhere else yet.

We should also be on the look out for permanent additions too. Surely we have some money freed up now Harvey has gone (presumably for a fee, and his wages will no longer be on our budget). Michael Sweet from Consett anyone? Absolutely banging them in, would surely be a low cost risk?
Certainly worth enquiring about along with Craig Hutchinson for Billingham who scored 51 goals last season and 27 this season so far.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:37 pm

You would of thought with Whitey living in the area he would know about these lads so obviously they don't want to take the risk

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:You would of thought with Whitey living in the area he would know about these lads so obviously they don't want to take the risk

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Big leap from Step 5/6 up to Step 2. Probably too big a gamble to take when funds are limited

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Saunders played for the Grey Horse and then Darlington RA. Glen Taylor was with Ashington.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Lewis Wing played for Shildon, Dan Maguire played for Seaton Delaval and Lee Mason who is banging them in for Shields was signed from North Shields so there's plenty of players at that level who can play higher up, its just whether work commitments come first.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

divas wrote:
jjljks wrote:Does Harvey Saunders count as a new loan signing? If so, surely we have restricted our squad.
Yes of course. I guess the decision was taken that he is better than what we thought we could attract. At the moment pending the decision of the Barnsley lads we have 4 loan spaces filled so can bring in one more.

I’d expect us to wait until towards the end of the window to make our move as I’d expect us to have our eyes on players who may think they can get a loan higher up the pyramid
Does an emergency loan for a goalkeeper fall within the limit of 5 loans?

If so, are we limiting ourselves to 4 in case Maddisson picks up an injury/suspension?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Spyman wrote:
divas wrote:

Does an emergency loan for a goalkeeper fall within the limit of 5 loans?

If so, are we limiting ourselves to 4 in case Maddisson picks up an injury/suspension?
The 5 limit is for the match day squad. So we could still bring in an emergency loan if we needed to, just could have no more than 5 of them in the 16 man match day squad.
Last edited by JE93 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Gotcha - thanks
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Andrew Nelson has signed for Dundee. Is that an upgrade from us

HarrytheQuaker

New loan signings

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Quaker85 wrote:Andrew Nelson has signed for Dundee. Is that an upgrade from us Image

Standard of championship / league 1 clubs so I'd say yes and probably on 2500 a week

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:Andrew Nelson has signed for Dundee. Is that an upgrade from us Image

Standard of championship / league 1 clubs so I'd say yes and probably on 2500 a week
No chance of that money at Dundee.

Adam Rooney was Aberdeen’s top earner on £2500 a week, a comparatively far bigger and richer team, before he signed for Salford on £4000 a week.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Looks like Will Smith is staying until the end of the season! Good news

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Beano wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Adam Rooney was Aberdeen’s top earner on £2500 a week, a comparatively far bigger and richer team, before he signed for Salford on £4000 a week.
Correct. Hearts ceiling for permanent (non loan) players is around £2.8 to £2.9k a week and that's with home attendances between 16,000 - 20,000

Nelson will probably be getting somewhere between £500 - £750 a week. Suspect Kenny Miller will be eating up much of Dundee's playing budget.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Beano wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Correct. Hearts ceiling for permanent (non loan) players is around £2.8 to £2.9k a week and that's with home attendances between 16,000 - 20,000

Nelson will probably be getting somewhere between £500 - £750 a week. Suspect Kenny Miller will be eating up much of Dundee's playing budget.
That is good money for the SPL. St Mirren average about 4700 at £22. ( season tickets were £380).