Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 am

Well after Boxing Day hopefully everyone wants to come back again and hopefully we will get similar entertainment.

Ashton United form was terrible until boxing day when they turned over Curzon Ashton 4-2 (Curzon look like they are in big trouble since sacking Flanagan), which is quite similar to our situation.

Kokolo should be back to bolster the squad and maybe even Wheatley although currently we don't have to rush him back which is strange situation to be in. Can't see any reason to change the team other than injuries but perhaps another game coming up on Tuesday, however for me stick with what we have and try and build some momentum.

Nelson, Saunders and Nicholson seem to work so well together and are a constant danger, all offering something different.

Looking forward to it so get yourself along, decent weather for this time of year other than expected to be a bit windy.

Lets hope for a decent crowd again, remember to get your ticket today and will save you a little extra for the 50/50 ;)

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/dfcsg/196195/

al_quaker

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Amazing what one win can do - I'm fully expecting a win tomorrow. Hopefully we can a decent crowd in and there's a bit of atmosphere

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

al_quaker wrote:Amazing what one win can do - I'm fully expecting a win tomorrow. Hopefully we can a decent crowd in and there's a bit of atmosphere
Yes it is amazing how different things look when you believe again after you get the sort of result we had on Boxing Day, and looking at the performance as much as the result I think there is plenty to be optimistic about, but Ashton may well be feeling a similar boost of confidence after their thumping away win at Curzon. We have had the very recent down to earth bump supplied by a team that was supposed to be even worse than Ashton, and there was also plenty of shock that we failed to turn them over at their place when they scored two worldies. Still have to turn up and play all the good stuff from Wednesday, get a win, and see us on a roll into the new year.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm

It's really nice to start a game expecting to win. I'm sure that a good few of the none hard core fans that came to the York game, will give us another go tomorrow. I'd expect between 1500 and 1700 to attend.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm

I'd be surprised if it's that high. A fair few of the last crowd were York fans, remember, plus you always get a boost on Boxing day.

1,400 I reckon. Really looking forward to this one!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:21 am

New problem for TW - how to pick a team from a squad with more than 15 fit & match ready players!
Got to keep most of the loanees on the team sheet as they make a helluva difference to us & may not be here for more than a month.
Love to see Kokolo and Palmer feeding crosses to Nelson (& Harvey) plus Smith stiffening the defence.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 am

It’s a good problem to have and will concentrate the minds of the other players to pull their weight.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 am

jjljks wrote:New problem for TW - how to pick a team from a squad with more than 15 fit & match ready players!
Got to keep most of the loanees on the team sheet as they make a helluva difference to us & may not be here for more than a month.
Love to see Kokolo and Palmer feeding crosses to Nelson (& Harvey) plus Smith stiffening the defence.
Kokolo for O'Hanlon would be my only change .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

Amazing to talk about a starting line-up and no-one even mention a place in the starting line up for Thommo

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:06 am

Talking of feeding crosses in, any sign of Ainge returning? Maybe with right delivery he'll get some goals.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:13 am

lifetime darlo fan wrote:Amazing to talk about a starting line-up and no-one even mention a place in the starting line up for Thommo
After Boxing Day, he shouldn’t be starting as others have rightly earned their places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:33 am

What'll be interesting is the reaction of some supporters if we get another win. It'll be "the moaners were wrong about TW" and "we were right to stick with TW". As if two positive results make all the difference half a season of ineptitude and mediocrity.

The fact is, even if we win today, it does nothing to dispel any concerns about TW. We'd still be nearer bottom than the top, and still under-performing if you look at the season as a whole. That's not me being grudging over any success from TW.

Realistically, we'd only have improved because TW has brought in half a team on loan, after failing so miserably firstly with his summer business, and then with his tactical displays in the first half of the season.

So as much as I hope for a win this afternoon, let's not carried away if we do get another victory. TW has a tremendous amount of work to do to prove he should be trusted again next summer, if we do so at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Realistically, we'd only have improved because TW has brought in half a team on loan
And that's only because he's been forced into it...

(although to his credit he does have an eye for a player)

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 am

Beano wrote:
lifetime darlo fan wrote:Amazing to talk about a starting line-up and no-one even mention a place in the starting line up for Thommo
After Boxing Day, he shouldn’t be starting as others have rightly earned their places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm concerned about thommo's future. The 3-5-2 doesn't really have a place for him, and I fear he may end up sidelined and eventually take the shields dollar.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Realistically, we'd only have improved because TW has brought in half a team on loan

I think we could do a lot worse when he eventually leaves his management post with us, to offer him a role as a chief scout.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I think we could do a lot worse when he eventually leaves his management post with us, to offer him a role as a chief scout.[/quote

Like the idea in theory. In practice we couldn't afford it.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I think we could do a lot worse when he eventually leaves his management post with us, to offer him a role as a chief scout.
What, in the Midlands?!

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm

I'd be surprised if he'd seen any of the loan players before bringing them in.
More likely recommendations or conversations with the coaching staff from their respective teams.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm

I’m sure I read he went to Barnsley to watch the 2 lads from there

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Team unchanged:

Maddison
Trotman
Smith
Hughes
Galbraith
O'Hanlon
Elliott
Palmer
Nicholson
Nelson
Saunders

Subs: Thompson, Wollerton, Henshall, Burn, Kokolo

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:42 pm

3 massive points today but my oh my we were flat as the proverbial pancake, what a second goal by Nelson it was worth the wait. :thumbup:

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

An ugly win today was just as important as us turning on the style v York. Grabbing ‘routine’ points in flat games like today will be the difference between a climb to safety and a nervy last few weeks

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Workmanlike performance, rescued by 2 touches of class from Nelson. It was disappointing that the performance didn't match the heights of Boxing Day, but it was important to back up Boxing Day with a win, and that's what we did. On to New Years Day and a chance for another 3 points

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I'd be tempted to change a couple of things for York, maybe bring in Wheatley and Kokolo.

I'd also like to see how Nelson and Ainge pair up, if a) we keep Nelson longer and b) if Ainge is ever fully fit.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I'd be tempted to change a couple of things for York, maybe bring in Wheatley and Kokolo.

I'd also like to see how Nelson and Ainge pair up, if a) we keep Nelson longer and b) if Ainge is ever fully fit.
I thought Wheatley was injured? If not he should replace Elliott .

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I think the challenge today has been mentioned on another thread, we lost the midfield and didn't play around Ashton enough. Although Ashton weren't really good enough to expose us too much, chances wise we about deserved the win.

Maybe we were tired, maybe Ashton sitting back made it more difficult for us, I guess it doesn't matter and we got three points.

If we had been offered 7 points form the 9 then I would have snapped their hand off. Hopefully we can get something at York on Tuesday now, my worry is we lose Nelson and without him we will struggle to pick up wins as we were before he signed. We will easily be pulled into the relegation zone, so hopefully we get as many points as possible now.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm

We were overrun in midfield. Not sure why Nelson was playing wide left, they were getting better as the game went on. I might be wrong but Saunders looked like he was playing wide right for a time, a bit mystified to what the game plan was, only Nelson rescued us in that one.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:37 pm

So by my reckoning we have Nelson for 2 more games York & Kidderminster.
Can we keep him?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Forward players move and switch position all the time...it's about being in space much more than sticking to an on-paper formation

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:An ugly win today was just as important as us turning on the style v York. Grabbing ‘routine’ points in flat games like today will be the difference between a climb to safety and a nervy last few weeks
An ugly win achieved by a strike of Brutal Beauty by Nelson
Worth the admission fee alone :D