TW Post match interview

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

TW Post match interview

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am

Just got round to listening to it - it sounds as though he is on the verge of going. As soon as Ray started talking about next week TW did not want to talk about it.

Just also listened to Sam Collins post match interview - its quite funny when he starts on banging on about Doritos and pints of Larger. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeU-gUMtGM
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Re: TW Post match interview

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 am

Wouldn't be surprised if we hear something Monday.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we hear something Monday.
I think the parties involved were all a little shellshocked after the events during and after the game. Some calmer reflection might well lead to action in the coming week, before the Netcafe. Just hope our directors don't decide a quieter life is the best option for them.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:55 am

Alfie wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we hear something Monday.
I think the parties involved were all a little shellshocked after the events during and after the game. Some calmer reflection might well lead to action in the coming week, before the Netcafe. Just hope our directors don't decide a quieter life is the best option for them.
I was not at the game yesterday but I really am shocked to hear that abuse was directed at volunteer directors / executives.
It is madness.
I only hope that they accept that this is from what I am told is a very small minority.
For my part I am just very grateful for the work and effort all volunteers put in and hope that they receive the apologies due to them.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Well TW has put the ball (excuse the pun) firmly back in the club's court by the sounds of it, he isn't resigning according to the Echo...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 pm

"I'm beyond listening."

That's good to know.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Has anyone any idea how much TW walks away from if he resigns?

Suppose hes got a family and associated costs so thats why he wont go and with his record he will have to get himself a normal job now.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"I'm beyond listening."

That's good to know.
In the position he is in a bit of humility might be more appropriate. Obviously not going for the sympathy vote.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Has anyone any idea how much TW walks away from if he resigns?

Suppose hes got a family and associated costs so thats why he wont go and with his record he will have to get himself a normal job now.
A grand a week, allegedly.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Alfie wrote:

That's good to know.
In the position he is in a bit of humility might be more appropriate. Obviously not going for the sympathy vote.
Why would he, if he doesn't believe he can get it right then he chose the wrong career.

Even when things aren't going well a manager has to believe in themselves, it's our responsibility to sack him if we think it's right for the club.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Beano wrote:

About 25 grand to pay him off before April on that basis.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:55 pm

It's never been revealed what contract he was given. Clearly despite his failure and the awful place he's led the club to he won't go without being paid off and we can't afford to sack him. He knows he's lost pretty much the entire fan base and I can't imagine the board now really believe he's the right man to take us forward. It's a truly dreadful situation.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Beano wrote:

About 25 grand to pay him off before April on that basis.
“Allegedly” - I’ll take that to mean “wildly inaccurate”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's never been revealed what contract he was given. Clearly despite his failure and the awful place he's led the club to he won't go without being paid off and we can't afford to sack him. He knows he's lost pretty much the entire fan base and I can't imagine the board now really believe he's the right man to take us forward. It's a truly dreadful situation.
We can't afford not to sack him.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

I never get this can’t afford to sack someone line. Very rarely will managers be given a lump sum. They’ll either negotiate a severance package or continue to be paid by the club until the end of their contract / they get another job, gardening leave basically.

Of course you’d still need to find funds to pay another manager for the same period but it’s not as drastic as needing X cash in the bank to handover on departure. Shame we don’t seem to have a safe pair of hands these days who you’d rely on to steady the ship in times of need such as this who might be a bit more pragmatic as to the structure of his deal

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:12 pm

In which case maybe the board have faith that he's a good manager working under difficult circumstances but with the right credentials and qualities to turn this around despite the crisis that has engulfed us.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:18 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's never been revealed what contract he was given. Clearly despite his failure and the awful place he's led the club to he won't go without being paid off and we can't afford to sack him. He knows he's lost pretty much the entire fan base and I can't imagine the board now really believe he's the right man to take us forward. It's a truly dreadful situation.
It depends on the T&Cs of his contract and any clauses in it which would allow termination.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm

divas wrote:I never get this can’t afford to sack someone line. Very rarely will managers be given a lump sum. They’ll either negotiate a severance package or continue to be paid by the club until the end of their contract / they get another job, gardening leave basically.

Of course you’d still need to find funds to pay another manager for the same period but it’s not as drastic as needing X cash in the bank to handover on departure. Shame we don’t seem to have a safe pair of hands these days who you’d rely on to steady the ship in times of need such as this who might be a bit more pragmatic as to the structure of his deal
Eleven home games left. With TW in charge that will be 11 games with around 1000 spectators and relegation. 400 less per game than average, roughly £5000 per game.£55,000 loss of revenue up to end of season, plus relegation.
A new manager doesn't mean salvation, but a bit of fight and commitment and the crowds will improve.
Oh yes we can afford to put TW on gardening leave.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

shawry wrote:
Alfie wrote:

That's good to know.
Why would he, if he doesn't believe he can get it right then he chose the wrong career.

Even when things aren't going well a manager has to believe in themselves, it's our responsibility to sack him if we think it's right for the club.

I can understand Wright believing that he can push on through to better times but things could well get a lot worse than they are now. Just imagine a 7-1 hammering at home from someone like say ...... Spennymoor, or ....... York!

I've changed my mind about Wright, unfortunately I now feel he hasn't got what it takes for us however, I feel that "the powers that be" seem to be neglecting the situation, they're letting him stew!

D.J might as well sell the bench out of the home dugout (£85 anyone?) as we have nobody to sit on it. :evil:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I was thinking about this last night - I can see why Wright won't walk away. He'd be walking away from his main (only?) source of income and he'd likely be leaving behind any hope of a managerial career, at least at something resembling a reasonable level. If he stays on, there's always a chance that the form might turn around (of which I'm sure the fans and Wright have different opinions on how likely this turn around is). So I see no reason why Wright will resign unless he gets sick of the aggro.

Down to the board - and average crowds of around 1000 (York game excluded) might force their hand.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:39 pm

It`s not just Wright that might have to be paid off but White also unless another manager decides to keep him

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 pm

al_quaker wrote:

I was thinking about this last night - I can see why Wright won't walk away. He'd be walking away from his main (only?) source of income and he'd likely be leaving behind any hope of a managerial career, at least at something resembling a reasonable level. If he stays on, there's always a chance that the form might turn around (of which I'm sure the fans and Wright have different opinions on how likely this turn around is). So I see no reason why Wright will resign unless he gets sick of the aggro.

Down to the board - and average crowds of around 1000 (York game excluded) might force their hand.
Agreed, at this point Wright is hanging on because they is no alternative for him. He just hasn't got a good enough record to land himself another job, so this is it for him. Unfortunately, by refusing to resign it looks like he's going to drag Darlington down with him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Any hammerings over the Christmas period could change that. If things got worse still T.W. could jack it in.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm

If he had any decency he should walk away saying things have not worked out the way he would have liked. This way he might save his reputation and not be classed as a complete failure.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:47 pm

darlo reborn wrote:If he had any decency he should walk away saying things have not worked out the way he would have liked. This way he might save his reputation and not be classed as a complete failure.
No sensible person is going to give up their income.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm

spen666 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:If he had any decency he should walk away saying things have not worked out the way he would have liked. This way he might save his reputation and not be classed as a complete failure.
...or their chance of another job! Imagine the conversation with a prospective new employer...

“How did your last post come to an end?”
“I quit when the going got tough”
“Perfect, you’re the man for us”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:25 pm

spen666 wrote:
Some people do walk out of their jobs for numerous reasons. Stress, disagreements with their employers... etc. In reality though, he's not likely to do this.

TW isn't going to get another job at this level if he leaves us like this. In reality, he'd have to drop way down, and the salary will not be anything comparable i'd assume. So you can see why he would want to dig in. He won't be sorted financially like many further up the leagues, and he needs to think of his family and his own circumstances carefully.

I'd assume, as employers, we would have to pay a severance package if we would like him to leave, and if we're as cash strapped as it seems, then that might be beyond us.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm

What sounds better to another prospective job
I left because things were not working out
I was sacked because things were not working out

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 pm

darlo reborn wrote:What sounds better to another prospective job
I left because things were not working out
I was sacked because things were not working out
I'd say in football management they'd almost prefer you were sacked, most realise that's almost always the way it ends for managers, walking out because it got difficult is a lot harder to explain though

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 pm

H1987 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Some people do walk out of their jobs for numerous reasons. Stress, disagreements with their employers... etc. In reality though, he's not likely to do this.

TW isn't going to get another job at this level if he leaves us like this. In reality, he'd have to drop way down, and the salary will not be anything comparable i'd assume. So you can see why he would want to dig in. He won't be sorted financially like many further up the leagues, and he needs to think of his family and his own circumstances carefully.

I'd assume, as employers, we would have to pay a severance package if we would like him to leave, and if we're as cash strapped as it seems, then that might be beyond us.

The big difference being footballers and managers are on fixed term contracts and entitled to have contracts paid up.

Most of us are on rolling contracts and only entItled to v short notice period eg 1-4 weeks.