Kokolo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Kokolo

Post by Alfie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 am

Just for a break from gloom and doom threads, how did he get on yesterday. The poor lad must wonder what he has walked into.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Kokolo

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 am

He had a good start but then faded a little.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 am

I thought that too, especially as they reckon he speaks very little English.

He looked raw but you could tell he has a bit of class and finesse which stood out when compared to our lads. He was quick and not lacking in confidence. Made several runs down both wings and beat his man on many occasions putting in several decent balls into the box which came to nothing.

I wonder what he made of the pitch with the ball bobbling around? A far cry from his Monaco days I suspect.

On the whole, he was one of the few positives on an otherwise depressing day for the club.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 am

Kokolo looks like a player, got fantastic balance and a trick or two.
This is why I am frustrated, why can't TW get a few more on loan, we need help - and Sunderland might be the team to help us a bit more.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am

Le garçon a bien jouee et tres bien en deliverant du coin. Il tire tres fort et aussi tres vite. Il resemble Kylian M'Bappe mais notre garçons doivent lui donner la balle plus souvent :clap: :thumbup: Merci les Makkems

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am

Quaker85 wrote:I thought that too, especially as they reckon he speaks very little English.

He looked raw but you could tell he has a bit of class and finesse which stood out when compared to our lads. He was quick and not lacking in confidence. Made several runs down both wings and beat his man on many occasions putting in several decent balls into the box which came to nothing.

I wonder what he made of the pitch with the ball bobbling around? A far cry from his Monaco days I suspect.

On the whole, he was one of the few positives on an otherwise depressing day for the club.
Suspect he felt right at home as Monaco FC pitch is built on top of an underground car park and is renown for poor playing surface, very hard and unpredictable bounce of ball. Crowds are averaging about 9000 whilst stadium can take 18000, so like Darlo BM about half full ;)

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 am

Good attempt - 8 out of 10. Some personal pronouns and other minor spelling errors, but verb endings and tenses quite strong. (From a French teacher)

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Good attempt - 8 out of 10. Some personal pronouns and other minor spelling errors, but verb endings and tenses quite strong. (From a French teacher)
From the guy who’s never heard of paragraphs Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Good attempt - 8 out of 10. Some personal pronouns and other minor spelling errors, but verb endings and tenses quite strong. (From a French teacher)
:D am blaming it on my autocorrect app which seems to be Brexit ready and did not let me write in French. We do need a couple of more loanees as good as Kokolo, preferably a big lad who can lead the line and then also a bruiser in midfield. Can Lidds lend us another raw gem from Boro? Would take anything from anyone as the situation is now desperate :!:

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am

I’m still baffled why we never had 3 lads on half season loans from the start if the outlay is minimal/nil. Yes their clubs will want them to play but if they’re of sufficient quality then why wouldn’t they play anyway? If you’re only having a first team squad of 16 players then they’re going to play a part in pretty much every game. I’m sure as long as they were getting some proper game time over a six month period their parent club’s wouldn’t have an issue.

For 90% of the games this season we’ve had 2/3 kids in the bench who aren’t used for obvious reasons but if they had been better quality they would have seen plenty of action.

Baffling decision imo, especially as TW has gone on record to say how many of these lads he’s been offered, I’m sure there must have been a few up to the task. Worse case scenario is they go back in January and you re-assess.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm

There are a whole host of things around TW's reign that are baffling and alarming.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:11 pm

He looked decent - pretty much only him and Nicholson looked like they could be decent players at this level. If Ainge ever gets fit again then Kokolo might be able to bring out the best in Ainge. Maybe.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Ainge for me is the biggest let down. For the money he must have cost / be on not having him fit for most of the season has cost us big time. I wonder how much due diligence went into the signing as he looks to me as though he’s never recovered from the bad injury he had at Harrogate. I’m sorry to say it but the bloke looks finished, certainly as a forward anyway. The double whammy is that we’ve had to cash in on Styche because of the resource Ainge is taking up being injured/unfit.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:26 pm

It seems Tommy put a large amount of faith in to the dynamic Ainge/Styche partnership that worked only once! Get a nimble team of half decent footballers and get the ball up to Ainge and Styche - job sorted.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:It seems Tommy put a large amount of faith in to the dynamic Ainge/Styche partnership that worked only once! Get a nimble team of half decent footballers and get the ball up to Ainge and Styche - job sorted.
In fairness so did most fans.

Truth be told I'm not too bothered about TW staying or going, just focussing on supporting the team leaving the board to worry about that side if things.

Ultimately I've supported us at quite literally our lowest point in history and even with relegation we wouldn't be that low so I'll still be here next season.

Couple of caveats, unless it's MG in charge or I see much more of the outrageous behaviour of people calling themselves fans, I didn't like how some behaved at Chester and yesterday was worse.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm

I thnk it's crucial that the club has a management team that the fans believe in and have faith in. It underpins everything in moving forward, including finances. It very much does matter who is in charge. I don't think the fans are expecting the earth from someone but they need that belief. All faith in TW has gone and we've lost hundreds of fans at BM.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Loan players from the big club’s (I’ll include Sunderland in that definition) are usually free (cost nowt) provided you play them. So the dilemma for any management team at our level is do I put faith in the players I’ve brought in, who the club are paying good money for in wages, or do I fill the team with loanees who’s pedigree is largely unknown.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Given the size of our squad, it's completely unforgivable he hasn't tried it, and that it's taken until this point for him to be pro-active.

It's been abundantly obvious to the fans for ages that the squad was too small, and having kids you would not want to actually put on the field making up your bench was unacceptable. Yet it lurched on, the results have been rubbish so we've had to slash more players, and it's now even more desperate. It's an abdication of responsibility, and we're led to believe he's been given a budget at the start of this season capable of building a promotion challenge.

I want to believe the board. In most other circumstances, i'm pretty sure TW would have been sacked. He should shoulder the responsibility, not the volunteers running the club.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:25 pm

divas wrote:Ainge for me is the biggest let down. For the money he must have cost / be on not having him fit for most of the season has cost us big time. I wonder how much due diligence went into the signing as he looks to me as though he’s never recovered from the bad injury he had at Harrogate. I’m sorry to say it but the bloke looks finished, certainly as a forward anyway. The double whammy is that we’ve had to cash in on Styche because of the resource Ainge is taking up being injured/unfit.
A slightly smaller sum than Styche, but rather sizeable nonetheless.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Loan players from the big club’s (I’ll include Sunderland in that definition) are usually free (cost nowt) provided you play them. So the dilemma for any management team at our level is do I put faith in the players I’ve brought in, who the club are paying good money for in wages, or do I fill the team with loanees who’s pedigree is largely unknown.

Loan players can be free, unless more than one club wants them and one can offer to cover more of their wages than the other.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm

divas wrote:Ainge for me is the biggest let down. For the money he must have cost / be on not having him fit for most of the season has cost us big time. I wonder how much due diligence went into the signing as he looks to me as though he’s never recovered from the bad injury he had at Harrogate. I’m sorry to say it but the bloke looks finished, certainly as a forward anyway. The double whammy is that we’ve had to cash in on Styche because of the resource Ainge is taking up being injured/unfit.

The recruitment in the summer was shambolic at best.

Ainge, must have blown a huge percentage on this signing alone. Best years behind him and injury prone and doesn't look like a striker.
Henshaw, hardly kicked a ball last season.
Hughes, I don't want to knock the lad but he was massively overweight, brought in as a midfielder. However Tw got out of jail as he slotted in as a centre half but still not his natural position.
Burn, didn't cut it at York last year and doesn't look any better this season.
Maddison, ex league player. Will be on a good wage dropping down the leagues, should have gone for a young keeper released from one of our local clubs. Talbot who we had on loan last season could of done a job, or we could have brought another one in on loan.
Nicholson, pick of the summer signings
Elliot, on his day not a bad signing but a bit hit and miss. Confidence looks shot at the moment.

I dread to think what he would bring in if we have to give him another season.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm

quakerste wrote:

Ainge, must have blown a huge percentage on this signing alone. Best years behind him and injury prone and doesn't look like a striker.
Hughes, I don't want to knock the lad but he was massively overweight, brought in as a midfielder. However Tw got out of jail as he slotted in as a centre half but still not his natural position.
Maddison, ex league player. Will be on a good wage dropping down the leagues, should have gone for a young keeper released from one of our local clubs. Talbot who we had on loan last season could of done a job, or we could have brought another one in on loan.
Elliot, on his day not a bad signing but a bit hit and miss. Confidence looks shot at the moment.

I don't think Maddison is a bad investment. He might even develop into a saleable asset, although Talbot isn't even on the books anywhere as far as I can see.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:57 pm

What hasn't been mentioned about Ainge so far is that he has been full time the last few years at Harrogate then dropping down to part time for us. It looks like he has the sort of body that needs to play full time.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:What hasn't been mentioned about Ainge so far is that he has been full time the last few years at Harrogate then dropping down to part time for us. It looks like he has the sort of body that needs to play full time.
Harrogate only went full time last season

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm

H1987 wrote:
quakerste wrote:

I don't think Maddison is a bad investment. He might even develop into a saleable asset, although Talbot isn't even on the books anywhere as far as I can see.
Maddison is also a local lad despite signing from Yeovil.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Don’t think we could have got much better than Maddison on a permanent deal. He’s a good prospect with league experience and he’s local.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Having said that, I was surprised we didn’t sign Dan Lowson at the time (despite his frequent gaffs against us).

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm

At the time the players brought in looked decent signings. Hindsight however suggests that there were far more misses than hits. Nicholson has looked good, and is pretty much our one attacking outlet. Maddison has looked OK. Hughes has been decent at CB, but his failure to be the dominating CM I presume he was brought in to be has been hugely problematic. The others have ranged from anonymous to disastrous.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

For me, henshall is the only real disappointment, the others look like they could do a decent job, the problem TW has is that at this level it's much harder to ship out the mistakes, MG would get people in then get them out just as quick if they didn't work out, which is easier at the levels below us.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm

It was surprising as Tommy did have a good record previously. The lads he brought in after his arrival all worked out pretty well apart from Mills who is by all accounts smashing the league below with Stourbridge this season.