Darlington V Nuneaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

shawry
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by shawry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:13 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Watching the highlights, we didn't seem to play badly and could have been well up by half time if we could finish. I thought maybe our full backs were caught out again for the goals but there seemed to be plenty of effort? Happy to be corrected by those who lived it!
I thought the effort was there, my issue is with our full backs who think they are wingers, it's like playing with 2 at the back mostly.

But that's an issue I've had since ohanlon and trotman came in. I don't mind that they want to get forward, in fact I encourage it, but both of them at the same time? They've played enough that they should know not to over commit.

I'd rather drop them both and get solid full backs in at this time because they are inviting pressure onto our centre backs.

I didn't leave disappointed with the performance so much as disappointed with the fact that we still make the same errors all the time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

H1987
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:41 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Gateshead are loaded. They had their arse saved by a multi-millionaire yet again.
What the f00k! shows how much you know.
So are you denying that you were taken over by another millionaire then?

Yes I'm aware that your budget was going to be slashed when your old owners wanted out, but that was if they were staying on, as they couldn't continue to put as much in...

But they didn't stay, because another rich backer came in. Are you telling me he hasn't pumped money in since?

Are you doing an impression of a Spennymoor fan - pretending that you're all sustainable and barely spend any money? Fuck off man.
Taken over and yeah a slight increase in squad as likes of mike williamson was brought in but nowhere near backing as in the past and the club will not be fully sustainable any time soon. Still one of the lower budgets in the league no ones saying otherwise. How sustainable are darlo shipping a manager up from miles away and players dont tell me you dont pay good wages


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errrr..... completely sustainable.... all of our money is drawn from the fans, and we're on target to be debt free, while supposedly providing a competitive budget in this division. The manager using the said budget badly doesn't make the club unsustainable.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Gateshead and Spennymoor continue to compete well because they have owners willing to put money in, which keeps their budget artificially above the income they generate, which in turn allows them a larger playing budget. It isn't sustainable because if that owner ups and leaves, the club is absolutely stuffed. We, as a club, work around the budget the club and the and the fans put in. We're not reliant on one backer.
Last edited by H1987 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Alan White speaks on the official site "how we weren't winning the game was beyond me"

Alan, with respect, I reckon we need a few players on the pitch who are capable of scoring a goal - these players are usually called strikers, oh and a few players on the bench over the age of 15 would help too.
I usually agree with what Whitey says. However, he says recent performances haven't got the deserved results. Telford and Chester anyone? Against 10 men it was men against boys.

shildonlad
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by shildonlad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:10 pm

H1987 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Gateshead are loaded. They had their arse saved by a multi-millionaire yet again.
What the f00k! shows how much you know.
So are you denying that you were taken over by another millionaire then?

Yes I'm aware that your budget was going to be slashed when your old owners wanted out, but that was if they were staying on, as they couldn't continue to put as much in...

But they didn't stay, because another rich backer came in. Are you telling me he hasn't pumped money in since?

Are you doing an impression of a Spennymoor fan - pretending that you're all sustainable and barely spend any money? Fuck off man.
Taken over and yeah a slight increase in squad as likes of mike williamson was brought in but nowhere near backing as in the past and the club will not be fully sustainable any time soon. Still one of the lower budgets in the league no ones saying otherwise. How sustainable are darlo shipping a manager up from miles away and players dont tell me you dont pay good wages


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errrr..... completely sustainable.... all of our money is drawn from the fans, and we're on target to be debt free, while supposedly providing a competitive budget in this division. The manager using the said budget badly doesn't make the club unsustainable.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Gateshead and Spennymoor continue to compete well because they have owners willing to put money in, which keeps their budget artificially above the income they generate, which in turn allows them a larger playing budget. It isn't sustainable because if that owner ups and leaves, the club is absolutely stuffed. We, as a club, work around the budget the club and the and the fans put in. We're not reliant on one backer.
Yes as a fan owned club with no benefactor with in any form money is tighter so how can you justify a manager comeing from the midlands and players this is even rare for pro clubs league 2/conference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

tdk1
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by tdk1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:20 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Gateshead are loaded. They had their arse saved by a multi-millionaire yet again.
What the f00k! shows how much you know.
So are you denying that you were taken over by another millionaire then?

Yes I'm aware that your budget was going to be slashed when your old owners wanted out, but that was if they were staying on, as they couldn't continue to put as much in...

But they didn't stay, because another rich backer came in. Are you telling me he hasn't pumped money in since?

Are you doing an impression of a Spennymoor fan - pretending that you're all sustainable and barely spend any money? Fuck off man.
Taken over and yeah a slight increase in squad as likes of mike williamson was brought in but nowhere near backing as in the past and the club will not be fully sustainable any time soon. Still one of the lower budgets in the league no ones saying otherwise. How sustainable are darlo shipping a manager up from miles away and players dont tell me you dont pay good wages


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a stupid comparison.

We've been talking almost non stop for weeks about how we are facing the challenges of sustainability, and how our manager has opted for a wafer thin squad with ex league players in it when deciding how to use our budget. The whole point of everything that's happened with styche and syers is sustainability. The only remaining argument for keeping our manager is about balancing the books. We know exactly how sustainable we are - not quite, but we're trying bloody hard. How is that comparable to Gateshead continuing to be bankrolled, but not quite by as much?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm

shildonlad wrote: Yes as a fan owned club with no benefactor with in any form money is tighter so how can you justify a manager comeing from the midlands and players this is even rare for pro clubs league 2/conference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never understood why football fans are so sensitive to the idea their clubs aren't sustainable. Gateshead and Spennymoor fans always get really touchy when you mention their finances, to the point of self-denial. Really weird.

TW and the Midlands players are without doubt using up a good proportion of our budget. But they are factored into the budget, whether you like it or not. Whether that leaves enough for us to have a competitive squad remains to be seen. On current evidence, it doesn't.

But because it is factored into the budget, we can say with some certainty that we're trying to be sustainable (a lot more than someone like Gateshead, who operate full time budgets on three-figure attendances). It's the drive for sustainability that has led to Styche and Syers' departures.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Alfie
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 pm

shawry wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Watching the highlights, we didn't seem to play badly and could have been well up by half time if we could finish. I thought maybe our full backs were caught out again for the goals but there seemed to be plenty of effort? Happy to be corrected by those who lived it!
I thought the effort was there, my issue is with our full backs who think they are wingers, it's like playing with 2 at the back mostly.

But that's an issue I've had since ohanlon and trotman came in. I don't mind that they want to get forward, in fact I encourage it, but both of them at the same time? They've played enough that they should know not to over commit.

I'd rather drop them both and get solid full backs in at this time because they are inviting pressure onto our centre backs.

I didn't leave disappointed with the performance so much as disappointed with the fact that we still make the same errors all the time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Didn't Wright bring in O'Hanlon and Trotman specifically as wing backs playing with a back three, so you might expect them to be quite attacking. The trouble is they play the same way when used as 'normal' full backs in a back four. Not necessarily their fault, depends on what instructions they are working to, although you would like to think they or others might have worked it out by now.

shildonlad
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by shildonlad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm

So why not use a squad of north east players or at least players that are based northwards of leeds. No wonder spennymoor are doing better and no it aint just down to the backer (just gonna put on my tin hat on ha ha)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 990
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We need to be a north east club with a north east-based manager with north east contacts and mainly north east players. This midlands path that TW led us down was crazy and has failed in many ways including financially.
Welcome to Royston Vasey.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 pm

shildonlad wrote:So why not use a squad of north east players or at least players that are based northwards of leeds. No wonder spennymoor are doing better and no it aint just down to the backer (just gonna put on my tin hat on ha ha)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because the North East is a basketcase of a region when it comes to footballers. The Northern League's Royston Vasey approach (You'll never leave) has artificially inflated prices for all clubs in the region, meaning it's cheaper to get players from elsewhere. And the North East isn't as populated as other regions, meaning there's a smaller pool of players available.

Spennymoor can afford the high prices for the best non-league talent in this region (and further afield as well) because of their benefactor. So you're wrong, it is just down to their backer. Spennymoor (like Gateshead) are only sustainable so long as their backer remains interested.

Plus TW was based in the Midlands, and had worked for Midlands clubs. He developed a knowledge of players from that region, so brought some with him. Unfortunately for us, the majority of them were limited in their ability, as is the manager, who should have left his job by now, but clings on for his pay-off (TW is such a nice bloke apparently - but I'm digressing).

Personally, I'd prefer Darlington to sign players from the North East. Mainly it reduces travel costs, is more convenient for players to attend training and home matches and they have a connection with the region. But it's not always possible because of the sky-high prices and increased competition for players. If money is a key motivating factor for a North East player, Spennymoor, for example, are likely to be able to offer more than us (see Jamie Chandler and the "vibes").
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 pm

What is our scouting set up? Do we have one? I go and watch Stockton Town, Billingham Town and Billingham Synthonia when I can, yes I know those teams are a few leagues below us, I am no scout I just enjoy watching local football, but there are some talented players in those teams, my point is are we missing a trick here? Or are we as a club just not interested in unearthing a Heaton.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:43 am

Darlopartisan wrote:What is our scouting set up? Do we have one? I go and watch Stockton Town, Billingham Town and Billingham Synthonia when I can, yes I know those teams are a few leagues below us, I am no scout I just enjoy watching local football, but there are some talented players in those teams, my point is are we missing a trick here? Or are we as a club just not interested in unearthing a Heaton.
Speaking of Stockton whom I frequently watch, Jamie Owens recently had this to say on Marske United web site :

Is there any change you think could be made to the game at this level?

I think travelling. I know they’ve restructured the league, but I left the house at something like quarter past 9 and we went to Wisbech, and I didn’t get back in my house until maybe 11 o’clock at night. It’s a 14-hour day, and if you divide that, an hourly rate of what you’d get on a Saturday working, you probably get more at work, but like I say, I like doing it regardless of the money. I just think if they can get a better restructure of this level and give other people opportunity, I know a lot of my friends who are capable of playing at this level and would step up if it wasn’t so far to travel. I could name loads who’d love to give it a go, but at the end of the day, work’s the main thing at the minute for them. That’s why it stops a lot of players going forward at this level and the Evo-Stik Premier.

Confirms the widely held view that there are good players in the NL league but are happy to stay there and be “home for tea”



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789
Posts: 8227
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 am

Darlogramps wrote:Spennymoor, for example, are likely to be able to offer more than us (see Jamie Chandler and the "vibes").
Loads more by sounds of it.

Know somebody who works at the academy of light and Chandler couldn't believe how much Spennymoor were going to pay him after leaving Gateshead. To the effect of didn't really need the job at the academy but was keeping himself there more for continuity when he retired.

al_quaker
Posts: 5411
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by al_quaker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 am

Vodka_Vic wrote: I usually agree with what Whitey says. However, he says recent performances haven't got the deserved results. Telford and Chester anyone? Against 10 men it was men against boys.
Agreed. The first 45 mins against Nuneaton we looked the better side - yet that's the bare minimum against one of the worst teams I've seen at this level. And we still went in 1-0 down. Second half I thought the 2 sides were pretty evenly matched. We were completely outclassed against Telford and by all accounts by Chester. Hereford we were poor and I can't remember the Guiseley match at all :lol: If we're going back to Guiseley or even BPA at the end of October for when we deserved more than we got, then it's debatable how "recent" it is.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12237
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:What is our scouting set up? Do we have one? I go and watch Stockton Town, Billingham Town and Billingham Synthonia when I can, yes I know those teams are a few leagues below us, I am no scout I just enjoy watching local football, but there are some talented players in those teams, my point is are we missing a trick here? Or are we as a club just not interested in unearthing a Heaton.
Speaking of Stockton whom I frequently watch, Jamie Owens recently had this to say on Marske United web site :

Is there any change you think could be made to the game at this level?

I think travelling. I know they’ve restructured the league, but I left the house at something like quarter past 9 and we went to Wisbech, and I didn’t get back in my house until maybe 11 o’clock at night. It’s a 14-hour day, and if you divide that, an hourly rate of what you’d get on a Saturday working, you probably get more at work, but like I say, I like doing it regardless of the money. I just think if they can get a better restructure of this level and give other people opportunity, I know a lot of my friends who are capable of playing at this level and would step up if it wasn’t so far to travel. I could name loads who’d love to give it a go, but at the end of the day, work’s the main thing at the minute for them. That’s why it stops a lot of players going forward at this level and the Evo-Stik Premier.

Confirms the widely held view that there are good players in the NL league but are happy to stay there and be “home for tea”



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As more teams from the NL get promoted, then the Evo-Stick leagues will gradually become more Northern orientated, but it'll take a number of years.

shildonlad
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by shildonlad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:What is our scouting set up? Do we have one? I go and watch Stockton Town, Billingham Town and Billingham Synthonia when I can, yes I know those teams are a few leagues below us, I am no scout I just enjoy watching local football, but there are some talented players in those teams, my point is are we missing a trick here? Or are we as a club just not interested in unearthing a Heaton.
Speaking of Stockton whom I frequently watch, Jamie Owens recently had this to say on Marske United web site :

Is there any change you think could be made to the game at this level?

I think travelling. I know they’ve restructured the league, but I left the house at something like quarter past 9 and we went to Wisbech, and I didn’t get back in my house until maybe 11 o’clock at night. It’s a 14-hour day, and if you divide that, an hourly rate of what you’d get on a Saturday working, you probably get more at work, but like I say, I like doing it regardless of the money. I just think if they can get a better restructure of this level and give other people opportunity, I know a lot of my friends who are capable of playing at this level and would step up if it wasn’t so far to travel. I could name loads who’d love to give it a go, but at the end of the day, work’s the main thing at the minute for them. That’s why it stops a lot of players going forward at this level and the Evo-Stik Premier.

Confirms the widely held view that there are good players in the NL league but are happy to stay there and be “home for tea”



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As more teams from the NL get promoted, then the Evo-Stick leagues will gradually become more Northern orientated, but it'll take a number of years.
So true. Also talk of a 8th step 8 league which i guess would have a north east and yorkshire footprint


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by shildonlad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
shildonlad wrote:So why not use a squad of north east players or at least players that are based northwards of leeds. No wonder spennymoor are doing better and no it aint just down to the backer (just gonna put on my tin hat on ha ha)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because the North East is a basketcase of a region when it comes to footballers. The Northern League's Royston Vasey approach (You'll never leave) has artificially inflated prices for all clubs in the region, meaning it's cheaper to get players from elsewhere. And the North East isn't as populated as other regions, meaning there's a smaller pool of players available.

Spennymoor can afford the high prices for the best non-league talent in this region (and further afield as well) because of their benefactor. So you're wrong, it is just down to their backer. Spennymoor (like Gateshead) are only sustainable so long as their backer remains interested.

Plus TW was based in the Midlands, and had worked for Midlands clubs. He developed a knowledge of players from that region, so brought some with him. Unfortunately for us, the majority of them were limited in their ability, as is the manager, who should have left his job by now, but clings on for his pay-off (TW is such a nice bloke apparently - but I'm digressing).

Personally, I'd prefer Darlington to sign players from the North East. Mainly it reduces travel costs, is more convenient for players to attend training and home matches and they have a connection with the region. But it's not always possible because of the sky-high prices and increased competition for players. If money is a key motivating factor for a North East player, Spennymoor, for example, are likely to be able to offer more than us (see Jamie Chandler and the "vibes").
Cant argue about the northern league been like that for years which i feel has a factor that has stagnated north east football right up to league 2. Im hopeing things will change with compulsery promotion over time
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Post Reply