Darlington V Nuneaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Nuneaton

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
tdk1 wrote:Some of our fans are mental aren't they? Like seat-gate taught us nothing.

Dj wants us to break even. So do I. Wright spunked his budget on a load of pea hearted lightweights. That's not dj's fault.
Kind of is if he appointed a manager with a track record for recruiting pea hearted lightweights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I don't know about that, but he is clearly a manager with no contacts in the north east and no knowledge of players in the region. He knows a few people in Nuneaton though, which is a bonus.

longlost

Post by longlost » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Well I made an interesting decision today and attended the Darlo game for the 1st time in over a year. So yes i have no right to critisise but thought i would share my thoughts.

Individually it looks like we have a good standard for footballer for this level. However as a group they don't look like a team that can win a game. Two big issues stood out to me.

First there wasn't a single player in the middle of the pitch who likes to win a tackle or generally battle to boss the game. This meant very little build up came through the middle of the pitch. Leading to issue two.

The team tactic seemed very good at creating spaces out wide however we had two small centre forwards who were not likely to win a battle in the air and no big midfield player to back them up. Generally there is no attacking threat in the air but the whole tactic was to create arial chances.

Then as the game goes on this approach did not change, no subs and no tactical adjustments.

Less of an issue if these two do not exist but I think the No 2 was left with the whole of the right hand side to cover, as the no 10 sort of floated in field. But their second goal seemed to come from the no 2 being out of position leaving the wide player to go through. This happened a number of times in the game and could have resulted in more.

These aren't player issues. These are manager issues. So today it definitely looked like the result of sub standard management.

This was exemplified by the lads coming out early in the second half. Waiting around for the opposition to come out. Not much time spent on strategy, just an ass kicking and told to get out.

Also a quote pre game was:

“The lads who get the shirts on Saturday, I want them to be fearing for their place, the competition for places is massive."

Not sure you get the best from players through fear and then there were no subs to change the game.

So there is a lot the manager has to answer for in my opinion.

I was a little disappointed in the reaction of the fans when their second went in. Appriciate the anger but at that time the players need support even though i didn't think there was any chance of getting back in the game. 

After the game some fans have appear to have gone too far with their anger but post game is the time to vent.

Not sure anger at DJ is well directed. For me his job is to get the most money into the club as possible and employ people to get the most out of it. At £14 to get in the budget should be sufficient to be comfortable at this level. But if people don't use the budget wisely then here we are. He seems to be doing the money job, not sure he has the people to spend it wisely.

As far as needing a benefactor can we not have patience. Yes not great at the moment but the history of Darlo did not happen over night. I believe if we stick with it we are more likley to be in a position where the club actually has some assets to build on. If it is based on the business men to provide money and give the assets to the club, good luck, we have no assets now because of that.

Unfortunately it looks like the manager has made some bad choices and doesn't have the tactics to get the best out of the talent at his disposal. So he has to go, but keep faith with the Board and see if they can improve their recruitment of people to make the most of the budget they are given.   

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:21 pm

I think your last paragraph is just about where most fans are re board and manager. We have a manager who is now completely lost and there is no evidence he has the capability of turning this around. It's about so much more than him having to work to a tight budget... there are many, many issues surrounding TW.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Wright’s interview suggests he’s not jumping. Will we push him? Will we even have anyone left to push?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Now that we are shedding hundreds of fans at BM it would be in the best long-term interests of the club and its well-being if TW and the club parted company. Something needs to happen to restore some hope and get the fans back on board although I realise that is challenging, financially and otherwise.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Tempest’s comments last week suggested he’s going nowhere as it talked about new loan signings being given time to gel etc

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:44 pm

There'll be no-one left to watch them gel and does anyone have any faith that TW would be capable of forging together a good, solid, consistent side out of the ashes of what he put together first time around?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Now that we are shedding hundreds of fans at BM it would be in the best long-term interests of the club and its well-being if TW and the club parted company. Something needs to happen to restore some hope and get the fans back on board although I realise that is challenging, financially and otherwise.
Everything will be fine, if the gates keep falling DJ can always sell more players. Sound financial thinking.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Just heard the PMI and same old excuses about mistakes at the back, players not doing what they have been told , etc,etc,etc.Both goals from wide positions, full backs nowhere, how many goals have we conceded like that? Why not play with a traditional back 4, keep it simple, we do not have the midfield to play a back 3 and are being found out time after time.Our management are over complicating things and I cannot for the life of me understand how they are not learning from past mistakes and just try and make us more defensive minded and go for more clean sheets and less of this gung-ho attacking style of play.Needs must.. hardly rocket science.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:56 pm

We desperately need someone up front like dare I say a Beck to hold the ball up as that is not Saunders game actually thought first half we played quite well but once they scored we seem to have no clue as to how to get back in the game.
I`m all for a change of manager but just can`t see him walking away to help us out as that`s the only way we could get rid.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Just heard the PMI and same old excuses about mistakes at the back, players not doing what they have been told , etc,etc,etc.Both goals from wide positions, full backs nowhere, how many goals have we conceded like that? Why not play with a traditional back 4, keep it simple, we do not have the midfield to play a back 3 and are being found out time after time.Our management are over complicating things and I cannot for the life of me understand how they are not learning from past mistakes and just try and make us more defensive minded and go for more clean sheets and less of this gung-ho attacking style of play.Needs must.. hardly rocket science.

No need to have a post match interview - just play the one from last week/month/season

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 pm

I’ve never seen John Tempest look so down, he’s always come across fairly chirpy but he’s also thick skinned, if he goes I can’t see Dave Johnson hanging round. Let’s hope the idiots haven’t ruined it as I can’t see anyone else stepping up.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Now that we are shedding hundreds of fans at BM it would be in the best long-term interests of the club and its well-being if TW and the club parted company. Something needs to happen to restore some hope and get the fans back on board although I realise that is challenging, financially and otherwise.
Everything will be fine, if the gates keep falling DJ can always sell more players. Sound financial thinking.
The current problems cannot be laid at DJ's door. He could not have forseen the disaster that TW is. His remit is to try and keep the club on a sound financial footing, and in my opinion that is what he is trying to do.
Sacking T.W will not mean that we stay in this division, but not sacking him will guarantee relegation. The financial hit from being relegated will be far greater than any compensation we have to pay to Wright.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:14 pm

banktopp wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
The current problems cannot be laid at DJ's door. He could not have forseen the disaster that TW is. His remit is to try and keep the club on a sound financial footing, and in my opinion that is what he is trying to do.
Sacking T.W will not mean that we stay in this division, but not sacking him will guarantee relegation. The financial hit from being relegated will be far greater than any compensation we have to pay to Wright.
I wouldn't lay all the problems at DJ's door at all, but selling Styche was not a smart financial decision. The primary cause was Wright, his mismangement of the team and our massive underperformance on the pitch has led to our financial struggles. But we are not Newcastle, we can't just sell our best players and still get a full house every week. I would ask whether you think we now have a more sound financial future after selling Styche?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:21 pm

We would not have had to sell Styche if Wright had even been a half decent manager.
What is certain is that after today's performance and disgraceful scenes at the end, we are in deep s***.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 pm

For me the ceo is keeping this clubs head above water, he's been fastidious in looking after the financial affairs with in the club, I Can only apologise to Mr Johnson his wife and John tempest for the horrible vile abuse directed at them and hopefully they will see its only a few idiots who don't know their arse,s from their elbows, who threw the abuse.
I would hate to think where the club would be without these wonderful volunteers doing a very difficult job under extreme circumstances.
To the abusers you will kill the club with outrageous attacks like we have seen today. I hope never to witness such appalling scenes like that again at any games ever again. Mr /mrs Johnson and Mr John tempest I am sorry for the idiots again.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Would have to say that any points from next 3 games will be a surprise and then we will be in bottom 3.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 pm

While the defeat was a bit of a disaster, today I thought we played good football for the majority of the game, better than we have played in the last couple of games, can't say there was any one player that had a poor game, with their keeper making a few good solid saves. The new loan signing looked useful and hope the additional loans are as good. Hughes being out with a dislocated shoulder was a bit of a blow and Ainge is looking like he may be another "Dom Collins" with is injuries so team down to 11 senior first teamers and bench then full of academy lads.

The fans in the tin shed were fantastic today, backing the team loudly, (until the second goal went in). Also nice to see a fair number of fans clapping the team off in the end.

The scenes at the end were not good, if the CEO David Johnson and John Tempest the chairman leave, I hope those people don't hide in the background but step forward and take on the roles, utilising hopefully there business skills, as we will desperately need them given the financial position of the club, possibly no manager and lots of off the field implications all on a volunteer time.

I believe both DJ and JT are made of sterner stuff, (although would understand if they did walk), and hope they stick with us otherwise a bad situation will turn into a real nightmare, wonder what these people at the end of the game will do then, or if they even gave it a thought?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:05 pm

You forgot to mention that we were playing one of the worst teams we have faced since the Northern League days.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:05 pm

onewayup wrote:For me the ceo is keeping this clubs head above water, he's been fastidious in looking after the financial affairs with in the club, I Can only apologise to Mr Johnson his wife and John tempest for the horrible vile abuse directed at them and hopefully they will see its only a few idiots who don't know their arse,s from their elbows, who threw the abuse.
I would hate to think where the club would be without these wonderful volunteers doing a very difficult job under extreme circumstances.
To the abusers you will kill the club with outrageous attacks like we have seen today. I hope never to witness such appalling scenes like that again at any games ever again. Mr /mrs Johnson and Mr John tempest I am sorry for the idiots again.
Absolutely agree, these 2 are so important for our club and have been outstanding.Really hope the scum who hurled the abuse decide they can spend the entrance money elsewhere and stay away from BM

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Have to agree, fans were good today and the first half we played well.
Surely our luck will change!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 pm

I’m sure JT and DJ are as worried about results as the rest of us and presumably there are reasons why they are sticking with TW. Maybe it would help if these reasons were explained to us because I don’t believe they genuinely expect TW to turn things round no matter what they say in public.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Bit off topic but does anyone know how much it might cost to sack Wright as I`d donate £20 to the fund as something has to be done soon.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm

From the post match interview I did get the feeling Wright expects to be sacked. He stuttered a little when asked about getting back on the training pitch.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:14 pm

quakersfan wrote:Have to agree, fans were good today and the first half we played well.
Surely our luck will change!
Problem is it isn't luck. It's game plan, it's drilling our players to play formations, organisation in transitions. Non of which Tommy has given me any indication he is capable of.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:16 pm

The reasons for sticking with him could only be financial but of course today also showed the financial costs of keeping him.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Maybe we are in a false position and in reality we can’t afford to compete in NLN if we have to be debt free/sustainable

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Relegation would be a disaster. The budget would have to be reduced even more (around 150k plus any BTB). The only positive would be our position at BM. We would have to massively reduce what we paid the Rugby Club, and in fact we would at least have more negotiating power, as potentially we would be able to explore other options again (I.e. Bishop Auckland). Not suggesting it's what we would want, but financially there's no way we could afford 65k as a NPL club.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Relegation would be a disaster. The budget would have to be reduced even more (around 150k plus any BTB). The only positive would be our position at BM. We would have to massively reduce what we paid the Rugby Club, and in fact we would at least have more negotiating power, as potentially we would be able to explore other options again (I.e. Bishop Auckland). Not suggesting it's what we would want, but financially there's no way we could afford 65k as a NPL club.
Can’t just walk away from BM. As others have pointed out, we would have to repay grant funding received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Then I hope as a club that we immediately work out costings for how much a) relegation and b) shortfall from a drop off in gates for the rest of the season will cost us. Someone on the Tin Shed worked out it could be over 40k if gates remain similar to today. At least if we do go down then we can forget about needing to invest in either developing BM or another venue at the Sporting Village as we'll be so far off even the Conference that stuff just won't be relevant.