Tommy's interview - seething

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

Alfie wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:We (me personally and many other posters on here) have funded a third of the playing budget for players who don't turn up to training. Say what you like about MG, this wouldn't have happened under him. I was a TW sympathiser before this, not any more.
Sums it up for me. There will always be valid reasons why you can't turn up on odd occasions, especially in a part time set up, but they should be very much the exception rather than the rule.
I wonder if Tempest and Johnson endorsed this amateurish approach.
Yes, good point. I’m convinced that the people in charge are very talented and diligent about off field matters but do they keep a close eye on football related things?

Someone pointed out on here that “it’s all a bit pally” and maybe it is?

I can think of at least one previous chairman who would have noticed this scenario very quickly and had it sorted immediately.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 am

Let's be honest our board members are amateurs at this, not a dig as they have stepped up and a worry here is the pressure on them results in some walking away.

The board have full time jobs and realistically would just like Wright to take care of football things with the board having as little as possible to complete in that side of things. Hence why they will be the last people to accept Wright needs to move on.

Some tough times ahead for our club over the rest of this season, relegation will be a catastrophe and we won't come back up first time. Some big decisions need to be made and the board will need support.

What a mess.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:52 am

Would it be possible for the midlands players to do some training with their local clubs ? It would at least keep them fit and I don't think they'd miss much tactical input from our lot. I'm sure the club could negotiate something sensible ?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 am

I'm not certain relegation will be a catastrophe, as long as we have a manager in place that can inspire the supporters. It might give us the breathing space to rebuild properly, and won't result automatically in a huge drop in income because you get so little from the league at this level anyway.

Obviously I'd rather it didn't come to that, but I think getting a manager in who keeps the fans coming is the greater priority.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

Must admit I didnt like some Darlo fans singing "youre not fit to wear the shirt" at the end of the game but having seen this wish I had joined in now!

I noticed Thomo turned round and applauded the fans when they sang this, I thought it was him being sarcastic but now realise he already knew what we do now.

Like other Darlo fans Im so happy that Im putting my monthly BTB contribution into this absolute shambles.Good job the wife knows f.... all about football.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:12 pm

tdk1 wrote:I'm not certain relegation will be a catastrophe, as long as we have a manager in place that can inspire the supporters. It might give us the breathing space to rebuild properly, and won't result automatically in a huge drop in income because you get so little from the league at this level anyway.

Obviously I'd rather it didn't come to that, but I think getting a manager in who keeps the fans coming is the greater priority.
Gate prices would have to be cut, I would assume rent would not drop. If not winning every week still then attendances likely to drop further, no big local games v York, Spennymoor, Blyth or any games v Stockport, Chester etc.

So a further reduction in budget, which puts pressure on the board getting it right again (maybe the set it and have to cut budget by October again next year) and a manager working with even less cash again. We have lost all momentum from our promotions and in danger of spiralling into a slump, some real pressure on the board getting this right.

Only 8 promotion places across 4 leagues also, it's easier to stay up than it is to get back up.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
tdk1 wrote:I'm not certain relegation will be a catastrophe, as long as we have a manager in place that can inspire the supporters. It might give us the breathing space to rebuild properly, and won't result automatically in a huge drop in income because you get so little from the league at this level anyway.

Gate prices would have to be cut, I would assume rent would not drop. If not winning every week still then attendances likely to drop further, no big local games v York, Spennymoor, Blyth or any games v Stockport, Chester etc.

So a further reduction in budget, which puts pressure on the board getting it right again (maybe the set it and have to cut budget by October again next year) and a manager working with even less cash again. We have lost all momentum from our promotions and in danger of spiralling into a slump, some real pressure on the board getting this right.

Only 8 promotion places across 4 leagues also, it's easier to stay up than it is to get back up.
Only 3 teams go down from National north and south, so only 6 places between the 4 lower leagues. Presumably the 4 winners go up and then the 4 'winners' of the league playoffs go into another playoff.

There are some well financed clubs at that level - we would struggle to get back up.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Alfie wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Only 3 teams go down from National north and south, so only 6 places between the 4 lower leagues. Presumably the 4 winners go up and then the 4 'winners' of the league playoffs go into another playoff.

There are some well financed clubs at that level - we would struggle to get back up.
Sorry, yes meant 6 places from 4 leagues, this time we would have no momentum.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, it would be terrible. But it wouldn't be fatal.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:40 pm

At least she knows you're putting money in!!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:52 pm

tdk1 wrote:Don't get me wrong, it would be terrible. But it wouldn't be fatal.
Shouldn’t be fatal but say rumours are true and budget around 250k with 85k boost the budget inckuded.

So next year budget could be decrease in revenue of example 50k and BTB reduction of 45k that puts a serious hole in our budget. Could be lucky and come straight back up but I wouldn’t fancy us turning it around quickly at that level.

I am sure Johnston would have to start preparing for these options at some point.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm

I think you might be the only person on this board who isn’t certain it WOULD be a catastrophe.After Wright’s total fuck up of this season,fourth bottom would be a good end to the season.Anything less is not worth thinking about.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:54 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Must admit I didnt like some Darlo fans singing "youre not fit to wear the shirt" at the end of the game but having seen this wish I had joined in now!

I noticed Thomo turned round and applauded the fans when they sang this, I thought it was him being sarcastic but now realise he already knew what we do now.

Like other Darlo fans Im so happy that Im putting my monthly BTB contribution into this absolute shambles.Good job the wife knows f.... all about football.
That's very interesting to read that. And yes I can imagine that players like Thommo and Galbraith will be absolutely gutted to see what is happening around them under the disastrous and shambolic management of TW and AW.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Emdubya wrote:

I think you might be the only person on this board who isn’t certain it WOULD be a catastrophe.After Wright’s total fuck up of this season,fourth bottom would be a good end to the season.Anything less is not worth thinking about.
Have only just listened to this interview. I wondered if "Ron Manager" was making a comeback "Isn't it?"But don't worry TW says we are NOT in a relegation battle!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Emdubya wrote:

Yeah, in honesty I was probably a bit blasé about how mega shitty it would be. I don't think it would be fatal, but it would be a disaster. Consider it case closed, I'm back in my box.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:20 pm

I have slowly reviewed my feelings now from the disappointment of the game, and one thing for certain we need to get behind the team next Saturday against Nuneaton right to the end of the game, (the booing and calls of not fit to wear the shirt on Saturday, while understandable at the time, will just knock confidence and "we" all need to help the team through now till the end of the season). It is a must win game, (so additional pressure on the depleted team and management), and we do not want any fingers pointing at the fans for getting on the players backs, so there are no excuses for them. I was quite heartened by Hughes's feedback, and hope the rest of the team is up for delivering and not talking (we know they are capable of delivering).
I am most probably one of the few fans, (if not the only one), who still want to see TW and AW succeed, but realise that time is running out. I personally don't want to be chopping and changing managers for another unknown with no money to support them, just my preference of course.
On another note I think Brian Little is attending on Saturday, meeting fans in both bars for the signing of his book, looking forward to seeing him again as we had a couple of great years and remember his philosophy when in the conference, "get the defence solid, as in that league at that time you will always score goals", (he learned from Lincoln City, if I remember correctly who went up the year before).

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

50 years wrote:I am most probably one of the few fans, (if not the only one), who still want to see TW and AW succeed
I think we all want to see T.W. and A.W. succeed - imagine how we'd feel if they went on a 5 game winning run.

You need a good imagination though..............
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes indeed, and fortunately I have (hope springs eternal :thumbup: ).

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm

50 years wrote:I am most probably one of the few fans, (if not the only one), who still want to see TW and AW succeed
I'm sure every Darlington fan wants them to succeed. But given all that's going on, including the fact he has no authority over the squad, very few see him as being capable of turning it around.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 am

Your right Gramps, I fully understand your point as well, for me it is more in hope that he can turn it around, rather than belief. I am worried for our teams financial position if he fails, (if we keep him or not, as it is going to have cost implications either in revenue or expenditure, and money is what we don't have).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I think we all want to see T.W. and A.W. succeed - imagine how we'd feel if they went on a 5 game winning run.

You need a good imagination though..............
There is a wide difference in standards in our division, but momentum can be a massive factor and it can help overcome these differences. If we win a couple of games then the mood of the players and fans can be transformed. But is up to the players and management to come together and start fighting for the club we all love.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 am

I really hope the outcome of this isn't just TW "clarifying" his admissions and pledging things will change. Combined with everything else around this failing and shambolic management, the admission that performances have been damaged because the group don't work together enough because players make every excuse under the sun to miss training is a step too far. The time for platitudes and pleas of "let's come together" have long gone now. Everything is too fractured for the management to continue.

I think we've passed the point of no return and urgent action is required to restore some faith and hope among the fans... because that has been completely destroyed.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 am

Looking from outside it suggests to me there might be issues behind the scenes between Tw and the board.

The last 2 interviews from TW have contained suprising statements - namely the loan players issue and now the training issue. Being cynical it would be possible to suggest that TW is trying to make his position as manager untenable and trying to force club to sack him (and hence pay him compensation)

The statement from the club seemed , especially in the first half to be offering little support or backing to TW. In fact the wording deemed to be very careful and designed to be clear and positive about the club without a lot of support for TW, especially in the early part. A cynic may suggest that the club were trying to make it so TW found he had to resign - and avoid the club having to pay any compensation

Alternatively, it is far to easy to read too much into statements and interviews

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 am

The lack of players attending training should not be a surprise to the board as several fans attend & it was mentioned in the Tin Shed that most of TW's friends were never there & recently only 8 players were at training, which was more noticeable than other nights. So if fans know so does board and they were happy to let it slide.
No reason why TW could not hold one training session down south a week to check on fitness levels while AW holds the other but maybe that is too easy.
Whatever result Saturdsay TW please hand in your notice

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:13 am

Got to ask yourself why players are ‘making every excuse under the sun’ to not attend training.

I don’t buy the it’s s long journey in the cold excuse.

Players should want to come to training and have some professional pride to try and improve the clubs current predicament.

Ultimately the buck must stop at TW’s door, poor recruitment as he knew these players would have to travel 2/3 times a week, if they weren’t able to commit he shouldn’t of signed them also.

Also it’s his responsibility to create an atmosphere where players want to train and want to perform for the club.

Finally he shouldn’t of announced this to the public as it heaps a ton of pressure on him and the players, just poor management all round.

Think the board need to step in now and find the resources to sack TW and get someone competent in charge.

#tommyout #flanaganin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am

Thing is, it's not even just the training that's an issue, is it? The fitness levels are unacceptable, and the effort during games has been lacking from some. I don't doubt that this is, in part, because of the complete lack of squad depth. As someone else alluded to, there's no competition. If there's no chance you'll lose your place, because there's a kid on the bench who is realistically not ready at all to play, then it doesn't help the motivation either.

Not bringing in some loans to supplement this team is an unacceptably poor decision. We shouldn't be reliant on loans, but there is nothing wrong with having 2-3 lads in from the local clubs. Christ, even Hartlepool, Gateshead and Carlisle will have spare pros that i'm sure they'd be happy to loan out for experience, beyond the big 3 sides. One of their out of favour, hungry professionals is a better option than kids who are just not ready. I fully support young lads getting their chance, and Saunders has come on leaps and bounds, but he was introduced very, very slowly in a larger squad. Some of the kids on the bench these days are there because we simply have no one else, not because they're ready or good enough.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am

spen666 wrote:Being ridiculous it would be possible to suggest that TW is trying to make his position as manager untenable and trying to force club to sack him (and hence pay him compensation)
Yeah, I can already see the queue of chairmen lining up around the block for TW's services as he successfully engineers his own sacking from DFC :roll:

He's either got to somehow turn this around very, very quickly or you fear for his future in the game at any sort of decent level.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:37 am

The club is very clearly in a bad, bad place with this team management in charge and it still will be even if we somehow manage to scrape some kind of win next Saturday.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Update now on the main site. Interesting what he says. 'I have been advised to set the record straight'. Wonder who advised him.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:55 pm

I would guess Wright was well aware of the fallout of his comments. He had no option but to clarify the situation as people were automatically targeting certain players without any firm proof that these were the culprits.