Resignation...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

banktopp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Resignation...

Post by banktopp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:31 pm

jjljks wrote:Look around and there is not any obvious replacement. Wait a bit & Hignett could become suddenly available so IF we could forgive his stint with Pools.....
How long before MG comes creeping around? :oops:
A player manager could be one solution, but only if they have coaching qualifications and ideally some financial management experience. Perhaps we could find someone who wants to do it as an unpaid internship ;)
Given we are a fan-based club, those of us with shares or in the Supporters club could be given access to a Darlo Fantasy team and participate to democratically pick the team? :thumbup:
Ebbsfleet United tried that. Went on to win the F.A. trophy too.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:48 pm

banktopp wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:Send for Turnbull and Brown, player manages , they know the club, all the things that were lacking last night , passion, desire ,commitment . They would get my vote.
I can't imagine the compensation pack we'd have to pay South Shields would be cheap.
I said at the time Turnbull and Brown should have been given more time. I think we had just won our first game under their leadership when they were replaced.
Water under the bridge now, and we won't be paying to get them back. For better or worse we are stuck with TW, I rather fear worse.
Brown and Turnbull were in charge for 3 games, won one , drew one but we were abysmal in the second game, a defeat against Wrights Nuneaton.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 pm

So what happens if we get relegated and Wright and White leave we would still need a new manager and be in league below so a new manager now from leagues below could have more time to sort things out may even stop the rot.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:09 pm

We don't really look like getting relegated right now though.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 pm

H1987 wrote:We don't really look like getting relegated right now though.
Yes we do, we are only 3 points adrift for god's sake and look how we are playing.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:13 pm

loan_star wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:Send for Turnbull and Brown, player manages , they know the club, all the things that were lacking last night , passion, desire ,commitment . They would get my vote.
I can't imagine the compensation pack we'd have to pay South Shields would be cheap.
I said at the time Turnbull and Brown should have been given more time. I think we had just won our first game under their leadership when they were replaced.
Water under the bridge now, and we won't be paying to get them back. For better or worse we are stuck with TW, I rather fear worse.
Brown and Turnbull were in charge for 3 games, won one , drew one but we were abysmal in the second game, a defeat against Wrights Nuneaton.
Here's the thing though- one of the excuses people give Wright for his terrible form when he took over was that he was dealing with Gray's team.

The same therefore applies to Turnbull/Brown - they were dealing with someone else's team and couldn't put their own stamp on it (obviously as they were caretaker managers).

Ultimately, you can't use that one game against them. They got a win v Bradford PA and we were unlucky not to beat Stockport (which was a late equaliser). There's no way of knowing whether they'd have done better than Wright, and I don't see them as an option for replacing him, if it comes to that. But they probably wouldn't do any worse.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Four wins all season and three points above the drop zone says otherwise.

Very complacent to say we don't look like being relegated, when you look at those stats. If we play like we did last night, it's definitely a possibility.

As for finances, if getting rid of Wright was in the best interests of all involved, I daresay we'd find a way.

What's intriguing is no one is offering up a defence of why Wright himself should stay. It's purely the circumstances around having to get rid. It says a lot.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Very complacent to say we don't look like being relegated, when you look at those stats. If we play like we did last night, it's definitely a possibility.
Think you are being a bit generous there Gramps,I would say we are more than likely to be relegated than staying up on present form.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Reiterate, where is the cash coming from, to do what most posters here insist on doing, had it been as simple as what is being said it would have been done, it's just not that easy with the clubs financial situation, that's why we excepted the reece styche deal. Come on its not rocket science. Level heads required, we have come a long way from nothing.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Nice to see that Phil Turnbull has liked a tweet saying that we should get rid of Tommy -class....less
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:39 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Nice to see that Phil Turnbull has liked a tweet saying that we should get rid of Tommy -class....less
Least of our worries, although whilst sour grapes can be blamed for some ex players comments, certain players opinion I would take more seriously.

If Turnbull wasn't a fan of Wright it holds more weight for me, sensible lad who talks well about the game, he got to play for his hometown club so he got a decent move, generally no reason for him to be just bitter.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 pm

onewayup wrote:Reiterate, where is the cash coming from, to do what most posters here insist on doing, had it been as simple as what is being said it would have been done, it's just not that easy with the clubs financial situation, that's why we excepted the reece styche deal. Come on its not rocket science. Level heads required, we have come a long way from nothing.
Looking forward to the claggy glue league are you.?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

As for finances, if getting rid of Wright was in the best interests of all involved, I daresay we'd find a way.

What's intriguing is no one is offering up a defence of why Wright himself should stay. It's purely the circumstances around having to get rid. It says a lot.
In reality no defence is available, we seem to take one step forward and then two step back.

Generally myself and most people around me have no idea what formation we are playing at the start of each game, what we are trying to do, or why the constant player changes. Wright doesn't look like he is building or learning anything, picking 11 players and selecting a formation (often changing it straight away). We only seem to really go for it once we are getting beat, we need to be on the front foot.

General belief in Wright has gone from most fans now. Whilst I can put myself in the board shoes and I wouldn't pull the trigger just yet, however this is more in hope than expectation that Wright pulls a few results out the bag.

My main worry at the moment is that a change now without someone lined up will spiral the club into chaos, although it's getting toxic now which could force the hand but let's be honest stay or go is not a choice between chaos/stability it could well be chaos/worse chaos.

Tough times.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:09 pm

I have been in the ‘wait until the end of the season’ camp as the unbeaten run was allaying my concerns.

However, we have some decent players on decent money, at Wright’s behest, and they’re unfit, unorganised and last night looked uninterested.

We are a mess tactically with the players looking disorganised, and his substitutions and tweaks during the game seem to confuse rather than galvanise.

The atmosphere is draining, attendances are flat, and we look bereft if any ideas whatsoever. The post-match interview stating we’ve turned down loan players on a weekly basis is madness as we’ve been operating on the bones of our arses for weeks.

I really like the bloke, and Alan White, but it is time to change.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Another factor here is the “Boost The Budget” fund - I mean that’s gone well hasn’t it...........

Why give £80,000 to fund a deflated, toothless, out of kilter team - when you can have a deflated, toothless, out of kilter team without giving £80,000?

Deflated, one or two of our players near the end of last nights game appeared to simply give up, one in particular caught my eye, although I won’t name him - however goals can be scored late on in games, at Bishop Auckland a couple of weeks back 2 goals were scored in the last 4 minutes of the game, giving Bish a dramatic draw - their opponents having had a man sent off half way through the second half!

I pick up the feeling that we’re just coasting along, and it’s not good enough.

T.W. Impressed me previously because he was simply getting on with the work that M.G. considered was beneath him, but there’s something wrong and people are starting to lose interest.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I think it's all the draws and the never ending cup defeats that have brought things to a head. Haven't we only lost one in nine in the league? Yet we're only three points from the relegation places and so many of those games we should have won. I'm struggling to think who would come in if they left but there's a few people on here who might be able to fill in for a bit. I've always wondered how you gel with a team when you live so far away.
It's hard to get your head around it being our club and so many have put so much in, even time if not money then to hear that players don't seem to be trying. I've not seen that in the games I've been to but respect those who attend regularly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm

It's right that we would need to identify the best available candidate and try to get them in place quickly. We don't have a Brown/Turnbull to step in and hold the fort during a drawn-out recruitment process. There is no-one in the squad that TW has assembled who comes anywhere close to being able to fill that temporary void. There are no talkers or organisers or motivators... and that is one of the many problems that have taken us to this place. The playing side would be completely rudderless.

No-one is pretending this would be easy but one thing is for sure, the current management team's position is going very quickly down the road of being untenable with a completely alienated fan base. The only supporters still onside are in that camp because they fear any costs involved and the difficulty of such a situation. That is the position we have reached with our management. Faith and belief has drained away.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Who is left of the coaching team that could hold the Fort? Don't we have about three coaches apart from tw/aw? Don't we have a youth coach to carry us over as so many teams do?

This question of who we get in of tw left, as if that was check mate in the argument, is such a nonsense. Somebody would hold the reins for a while, somebody else would come in after a couple of weeks to take over. I'm buggered if I know who, but wouldn't it be nice to get somebody with new ideas? Shrewsbury sacked their manager two weeks ago with no succession plan, and since then they've won three and lost one under their goalkeeping coach, who has totally revitalised them on the training ground. Maybe Steve pears could be interim. Maybe whitey. Maybe dave syers could. Christ, maybe David Johnson could himself. Keeping hold of a failing manager should not happen purely because you can't imagine who will follow them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Speaking of David Johnson - I’d like to know his thoughts at present - he seems to be keeping a low profile.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Whole club is so so flat - average team playing terribly with what appears to be no game plan, players looking so unfit, an awful ground which provides for a truly terrible 'match day experience', and with money so tight we had to sell probably our one player capable of providing a spark, we seemingly have no money to sort any of these issues out. It's only November and, barring a truly remarkable turn around in form, all we have left to play for is not to be relegated from the 6th tier.

It's getting to the stage where I can barely muster up the effort to go to home games - I struggle to name a single enjoyable aspect about going to them. And I would count myself a pretty big fan.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:02 pm

al_quaker wrote:Whole club is so so flat - average team playing terribly with what appears to be no game plan, players looking so unfit, an awful ground which provides for a truly terrible 'match day experience', and with money so tight we had to sell probably our one player capable of providing a spark, we seemingly have no money to sort any of these issues out. It's only November and, barring a truly remarkable turn around in form, all we have left to play for is not to be relegated from the 6th tier.

It's getting to the stage where I can barely muster up the effort to go to home games - I struggle to name a single enjoyable aspect about going to them. And I would count myself a pretty big fan.
A very good post al. For the first time in years, I too am starting to lose a little interest, and I always try to enjoy watching Darlo and try to stay realistic.

As I wrote above, I would genuinely like to know D.J’s thoughts on recent events. We appear to be broke, financially and of ideas.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:42 pm

H1987 wrote:I would be loathe to change anything midseason again. It causes a gigantic mess. Unless we were in serious danger of being relegated (which, in spite of the crap we're being served up right now, i don't think we are), I think we should give Tommy the whole season.

It's not good right now though. No doubt. We are wafer thin, but I think what bothers me even more, is that so many of our players do not look fit enough to be playing at this level. Indeed some of them have a belly bigger than mine. I realise we are not a full time outfit, but we can still enforce fitness requirements upon players we are paying to play, lets remember. They are not amateurs. If i see a fit team, giving it their all, I think we are all a little more forgiving when things don't go our way.

Tommy has some thinking to do, but we absolutely don't have the money to sack him, so lets be realistic.
Agree with this, we're not in a relegation spot and we should stick with TW.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:51 pm

It would appear DJ’s main aim is to get us debt free and, while I would love that to be the case, if the cost is relegation or the continuation of TW’s chaotic management then it is not a price worth paying. I would love TW to be a success but it is clear now it is not going to happen and we need to cut our losses and get rid even if it means taking a massive gamble on an unknown uantity as manager. If we don’t then next years BTB will get nowhere near £80K

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:25 pm

dfc4me wrote: It would appear DJ’s main aim is to get us debt free and, while I would love that to be the case, if the cost is relegation or the continuation of TW’s chaotic management then it is not a price worth paying.
In defence of T.W, he signed both Heaton and Styche - and the coffers have done well there, to the detriment of the team.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as fed up as everyone else.........
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:32 pm

dfc4me wrote:It would appear DJ’s main aim is to get us debt free and, while I would love that to be the case, if the cost is relegation or the continuation of TW’s chaotic management then it is not a price worth paying. I would love TW to be a success but it is clear now it is not going to happen and we need to cut our losses and get rid even if it means taking a massive gamble on an unknown uantity as manager. If we don’t then next years BTB will get nowhere near £80K
How much are you willing to be in debt by at the end of the season in terms of the gamble on a new manager?

Serious question because if we sack and get someone else in then this will no doubt costs us, most managers will want some money to change squad around.

So if Johnston does some figures and tells us we can remove the management team, get someone else in and give them say 30k extra budget (which isn't a lot) but we will have debt of say 50k by the end of the season is that acceptable.

Basically are people happy for Johnston to break the tight financial management he is trying to complete to throw the dice?

Stay as we are, see if Wright comes good and try and balance books. £0 debt end of season.
Remove get new manager but give him no budget, say £20k minimum debt end of season.
Get new manager give him small amount of £30k leading to £50k debt end of season.

I am comfortable making a decision which may cost us and affect next seasons budget etc. if that's the choice are those who want to remove happy ending the season in debt?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:34 pm

The other side of the above is that apathy in the fan base reduces attendances anyhow and creates a hole in the finances with Wright.
Either way you have to be comfortable with the possibilities of the decision.

Maybe we spend 50k and still get relegated, maybe we stay as we are and lose 40k revenue and still get relegated.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Stick with TW. I can remember a certain Mr Ferguson just managing to keep ManU up in his first season, when most of the Stretford End were baying for change. They did not like his grinding out of draws and wanted sparkling attacking football, whilst they were fairly woeful at the back. Bit of patience from the fans and a few signings of players who really wanted to pull the shirt on for the club, could turn the season round yet. :thumbup:

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:04 pm

I get that Wright is a young manager and that it's worth giving them a chance, but we are regressing. The training stuff worries me, there's no strategy, no game plan, no apparent playing style, seemingly little scouting of players beyond those who he already knew. I'd bloody love a manager who grinds out draws - at least that takes a degree of planning.

As for the money, they are very speculative figures. Surely the work of the new commercial director is designed at putting us further into the black? Nobody really knows the real current financial position, nor what a change of manager would cost, nor what we are losing out on with this creeping apathy.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm

tdk1 wrote:I get that Wright is a young manager and that it's worth giving them a chance, but we are regressing. The training stuff worries me, there's no strategy, no game plan, no apparent playing style, seemingly little scouting of players beyond those who he already knew. I'd bloody love a manager who grinds out draws - at least that takes a degree of planning.

As for the money, they are very speculative figures. Surely the work of the new commercial director is designed at putting us further into the black? Nobody really knows the real current financial position, nor what a change of manager would cost, nor what we are losing out on with this creeping apathy.
So are you a move Wright on and accept any financial hit if we have one of that decision?

For anyone who thinks times up, they need to understand that decision and be happy with the possible positives and negatives.

It may work out and be a financial positive for us due to being good on the pitch (best case)
It may not work out and we regress further with possible budget outstripping revenues, players unhappy and not performing (not sure we would see a change), finished with relegation.

We may even find that we struggle to get a new manager, all three offered last time turned us down until Wright changed his mind, a lot of that was we financially had to break up the team and had little money to spend - which the challenges wasn't fancied by some.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Whatever we do is going to be a gamble with no guarantee of success. Those who crunch the numbers need to work out what relegation could cost us and then decide if it is better to stick with TW or make a change and occur some new debt, something which hopefully they are already doing.