Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Well this is it, can we break the cup hoodoo tonight???
Come on get yourselves down there.

JE93

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by JE93 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Team for tonight:

Hemming, Trotman, O’Hanlon, Elliott, Hughes, Galbraith, Nicholson, Wheatley, Ainge, Syers, Thompson

Subs: Glover, Maddison, Henshall, Burn, Saunders

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Worth 5k in prize money as well so thats incentive enough to win.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:41 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Worth 5k in prize money as well so thats incentive enough to win.
...................if you are Telford!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Lots of people saw this defeat coming & stayed away. Surely TW has to learn something from this display?
Like we need Maddison back, some backbone and a goalscorer?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:51 pm

And a different manager?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Good job they were down to 10 or it would have been 4. That was our full sqad. We are miles from being a play-off team. Can we scrape together another 28 points to stay up is my question.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Good job they were down to 10 or it would have been 4. That was our full sqad. We are miles from being a play-off team. Can we scrape together another 28 points to stay up is my question.
According to the FA website it was 7. Apparently we lost 1-7 AET, even though full-time was 0-2, in front of seven supporters in a match played at Bishop :shock:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Well this is it, can we break the cup hoodoo tonight???
Come on get yourselves down there.
Who was I trying to kid , poor just poor not sure where we go from here.
White having a go at Thompson after 10 minutes Syers having a go at White after 15 minutes something is just not right.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 pm

That were embarrassing a team who looked like they had never played before.. 1st half we lumped the ball forward for Ainge to chase 2nd half with Harvey on we looked to play it on the floor... Beggars belief Tommy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Season over, we need a total midfield, Wheatley and Elliott far too lightweight, O'Hanlon another one and a big relegation battle on our hands.And I nearly forgot...do us a favour Tommy and resign now if you still have our club at heart.They were better than us all over the field, pace,shape,strength and their keeper I don't think had a shot to save.Something has to give or we will be changing places with South Shields.Rant over, now let's see what Tommy has to say in his PMI but excuses have gone now.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Same s***, different game. Time for a change.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Desire?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Getting increasingly fed up of Tommy Wright, I don't think he actually knows what his best team is. He doesn't know his best formation. While he has mainly signed decent players he has built a squad that is unbalanced and which he has since failed to improve. He had two weeks to prepare and drill the team to play FC United when they were in crisis, we looked average at best. He had two weeks to prepare us to play Hereford, who were in crisis, we put in a below par performance.

He seems to have an okay eye for a player but coaching ability when it comes to organizing and preparing a team i can't see anything, Add to that some of his baffling in game tactical decisions. I thought when ex players left in the summer questioning his man management skills it was maybe just a bit of sour grapes, starting to think its far more likely they were correct.

TBH i don't care if the playoffs were out of reach but based on our budget we are not a bottom half side. The whole idea would be to keep fans hoping, keep us on the coat tails of the playoffs or give us a cup run and we will provide our support. Last season we were bad baring a 10 game spell, it was enough to keep us on the coat tails of the layoffs until the dying weeks of the season and the fans dug into their pockets to produce £80k give us the same again. Go close again and I'm sure most would have dug deep once again. Mark Bower (Bradford Park Avenue) is doing better with lower resources, as are Paul Holleran (Leamington), John Flanagan (Curzon Ashton) to name a few.

I think this season will just be lower mid table mediocrity, we'll draw lots, win a few and be soundly beaten a few times. I completely understand the limitations of the budget and the likelihood is we don't have the money to pay him off, or the money for new players unless Collins or Caton go. If that's the case when is his contract up? Can we just wait till the end of the season, shake hands and go our separate ways? appoint someone new in May so they have the whole summer to shape their squad. Fairly gutting to know your season is over in November.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:38 pm

This result is such a let down for the supporters who really deserved a win tonight. And for the players who deserve better management. Their confidence must be wafer thin. What a bad reflection on the management - maybe White should start playing again - Tommy too, they might do something positive then. I think it's time for a referendum from the loyal fans we should be able to get someone better because I think this result might finish us off for this season. I hope I'm wrong but I fear Wright's best efforts are not enough.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Surely even the staunchest TW/AW supporters have to agree now that they are clueless.

So 5-3-2 didn’t work on Saturday and he changed it after 20 mins and we improved, so let’s just go back to it again tonight. Clueless.

Let’s drop our only mobile forward and play possibly the slowest ever forwardline in the clubs history! Clueless.

I like Syers and he is one of a small few who show desire and commitment every game, but Ainge is the least mobile forward I have ever seen, and he can’t even jump now. Why did we sign him. Clueless.

5 mins after going down to 10 men, play stopped for an injury. What did their manager do? Got his team together and told them the plan. What did ours do...let them wander about aimlessly while they were having a team talk. Clueless.

When we conceded the first goal not one of our players started shouting, cajoling, encouraging, they just stood like dummies like the inevitable had just happened. Wright included. Clueless.

I overheard a guy near me say it was like watching a team of 11 trialists and not one of them giving a toss!

Stories of players having a go at the management etc, it’s just obvious that they are lost and not responding to them.

Sad times when it’s obvious we are crying out for some reinforcements and TW says he isn’t even looking! Probably we cannot afford to do it, but we need to replace them with someone with team building skills who can get them fitter, understands tactics and can motivate what is often is a decent set of players. Get them playing with a smile on their faces again. It’s just getting worse and may well regret it if a change is not made soon.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Time is up for Tommy Wright. A decent bloke, a nice guy, heart in the right place but simply not up to the job.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:46 pm

If anyone thinks we have any chance of long-term progress under TW, I'm afraid they are deluding themselves. Our record now stands at 2 wins out of the last 15 games at BM and the standard of fare being served up by TW will drive away the fans that are left. Tonight was just about as depressing as it gets. We were outclassed by a team that looked fitter, faster, stronger and better organised and passed the ball in a way we couldn't touch. Even against ten men we huffed and puffed and never remotely looked like scoring.

Everything about tonight was depressing... from the tiny crowd to the cheering that accompanied Ainge's substitution to the loud boos at the end of another woeful home display and yet another cup exit at the first stage.

The club is heading one way under TW and tonight was a clear example of which way that is. He just doesn't know how to piece together, organise, motivate and lead an effective and solid side on a consistent basis. As a club we cannot now afford to ignore that harsh reality. There will be fewer and fewer of the dwindling number of fans left if this is allowed to continue and any feel good factor around the club continues to evaporate. Something has to give.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Agree with loid lucan

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Me too

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 pm

We can't afford to sack TW. If our chief exec decides we have to sell our best player to balance the books, despite the fact it was likely to lead to ever diminishing gates, its clear we aren't likely to go into debt on the chance a new manager would improve our results.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Yarblockos wrote:We can't afford to sack TW. If our chief exec decides we have to sell our best player to balance the books, despite the fact it was likely to lead to ever diminishing gates, its clear we aren't likely to go into debt on the chance a new manager would improve our results.
Can we afford to keep him? Diminishing attendances will be disastrous for us financially. As would a relegation (and given our form this season, only a complacent fool would rule that out). If the best argument for keeping him is "We can't afford to sack him" that's a damning indictment on his performance and ability.

Setting aside the financial implications though, based on our performances this season, do you think he deserves to stay? Is he getting the best out of this group of players (who he believes are better than last year's squad)?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:16 pm

Disappointing game beaten by a better organised, fitter, faster, stronger team. Although the players did not play that Badly individually (except a couple), we were out played and were not play off candidates on that showing.
I thought it was quite spectacular the difference in team spirit, at half time their players ran into the dressing room while ours trudged off heads down, same on the way out they ran out and with a member of their management team did some invigorating warm up before second half started. Nearly all their players supported each other verbally where we have no one. 90% of their passes went to Telford players where we would be lucky if we hit 60%. When their keeper went down, every one of their players crowded around the management team for advice and direction, ours wandered over individually and took a drink.
There clearly is something not right within the team and we don't have the money to change personnel.
That is going to knock confidence again.

May be the players and management will give up there wages to give the club £5k as we needed that, but the fans really needed a win tonight - I don't think we will get relegated this year but it may be a close thing.

Next season is going to be really hard with substantial less money for the club (less btb, no Heaton, Styche, gillies etc transfer, or the snow dive money). Could be a really hard year.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 pm

What you don't mention is the crucial point. TW's role in all that you have pointed out. He is the man in charge of it all and in a position to make sure these kind of things are done right. He's at the root of it.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:We can't afford to sack TW. If our chief exec decides we have to sell our best player to balance the books, despite the fact it was likely to lead to ever diminishing gates, its clear we aren't likely to go into debt on the chance a new manager would improve our results.
Can we afford to keep him? Diminishing attendances will be disastrous for us financially. As would a relegation (and given our form this season, only a complacent fool would rule that out). If the best argument for keeping him is "We can't afford to sack him" that's a damning indictment on his performance and ability.

Setting aside the financial implications though, based on our performances this season, do you think he deserves to stay? Is he getting the best out of this group of players (who he believes are better than last year's squad)?
Yes, but the point I am making is that DJ decided to sell Styche even though it would likely lead to poorer results and lower gates. His aim was to avoid going into debt even if it meant the club contracting. Like it or not, DJ is prepared to put up with lower gates rather than put the club into debt. Thus the chances of him sacking TW are very, very slim.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:07 am

However it happens there is one thing that is certain in football, if a manager cannot win matches, loses the confidence of fans and loses the confidence of players it will only ever end one way... with his departure. Difficult though that may be in terms of finance, it will always lead to a parting of the ways. That may be through negotiation or through a resignation or a sacking.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:38 am

There are some really good comments on here about just how poor we were tonight. I was up on the balcony and had a great view of the “action” - and I’m wondering if the players have been made to take a pay cut as they look flat, disjointed and clueless.

Up to this point I was always willing to give T.W the benefit of doubt but where was the desire? The input from the dugout?

And speaking of dugouts, from the raised up position of the balcony you could notice that there was so much activity from the Telford one, cajouling, organising, even at times skulduggery-but from ours?

It’s all very well selling Styche to balance the books but at this rate attendances will fall to such a degree that we’ll have to terminate Mr Q’s contract too.

Flat as a pancake!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote: And speaking of dugouts, from the raised up position of the balcony you could notice that there was so much activity from the Telford one, cajouling, organising, even at times skulduggery-but from ours?
I too like theoriginalfatcat viewed the match from the clubhouse balcony and would echo his comments. Our managerial team just seemed to chat to each other without directing the on field game - it's the same every week. By contrast the Telford managerial team were so much more animated and enthusiastic directing the players on the pitch and calling them over for a team talk when there was the delay for the injury on the pitch.

It really was a lacklustre performance, and given the current squad of players and the same excuses given each week by Wright & White I just don't know how we are to move forward.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:22 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Yes, but the point I am making is that DJ decided to sell Styche even though it would likely lead to poorer results and lower gates. His aim was to avoid going into debt even if it meant the club contracting. Like it or not, DJ is prepared to put up with lower gates rather than put the club into debt. Thus the chances of him sacking TW are very, very slim.
Handcuffed to TW for now in that case. Just don’t get how DJ has taken us from a cash rich position in August to cash strapped in 3 months.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:12 am

I'm told that some training sessions have only been attended by half a dozen players.