Darlington v Hereford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm

I really don't know what people expect..?? We have hit a ceiling regarding the shitehole(Ground) The hard-core who are constantly relied on to put there hand in there pockets season after season.. We are a decent mid table team that's it, We are NOT Brazil like some fans think we are, just get behind the team instead of slagging off the players and the management

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I really don't know what people expect..?? We have hit a ceiling regarding the shitehole(Ground) The hard-core who are constantly relied on to put there hand in there pockets season after season.. We are a decent mid table team that's it, We are NOT Brazil like some fans think we are, just get behind the team instead of slagging off the players and the management

Completely agree, one point I want to add we have lost our main player for the last year in Styche, yet TW has never whinged or used it as an excuse - we are being managed on a shoe string within our limits. I dont want to keep banging on about York all the time, but they have a massive squad, just got 3 players on loan, but got tanked 3-0 today. We have the nucleus of a good team.
A further comment I want to make, what a decent signing Nicholson has been, unfortunately Wheatley, although a really good footballer, he just does not score any goals which is a shame for the lad but we need more goals in the team.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:40 pm

The defending at times was suicidal. We could have been 4/1 down at one stage and Hughes is not quick, he should never be left on his own against any striker, while Galbraith to me doesn’t look confident at all.

Our squad is too stretched and as pointed out further back in this thread we need some bigger players in midfield.

I know some on here look to blame T.W. for everything but the lack of a few players coming in is hardly his fault.

We MUST do better next Friday.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The defending at times was suicidal. We could have been 4/1 down at one stage and Hughes is not quick, he should never be left on his own against any striker, while Galbraith to me doesn’t look confident at all.

Our squad is too stretched and as pointed out further back in this thread we need some bigger players in midfield.

I know some on here look to blame T.W. for everything but the lack of a few players coming in is hardly his fault.

We MUST do better next Friday.
The FA cup run (or lack of it) has completely killed us in terms of flexibility of budget. That is down to TW. However, we have to be realistic we are no longer the big boys in this league, we are an ex-league club yes, but our budget is probably mid table at best in this league.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Our squad is stretched. We need a couple of additions, surely we can manage that?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Our squad is stretched. We need a couple of additions, surely we can manage that?
Nope, can't afford it.

Any additions will mean costs out run revenues. Only way is young kids on loan who clubs are willing to pay wages, but with that your not sure what you are getting and the owner club expects them to play.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 pm

We have a budget that is supposed to be competitve for a play-off spot, yet we have a small squad, have just sold our top scorer and can't afford to bring anyone in. Just how much of the budget did TW spunk on Jason Ainge?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Yarblockos wrote:We have a budget that is supposed to be competitve for a play-off spot, yet we have a small squad, have just sold our top scorer and can't afford to bring anyone in. Just how much of the budget did TW spunk on Jason Ainge?
In theory the budget has reduced to match our revenues, hence Styche leaving.

The board are trying to achieve a season where we don't end up with a negative in the P&L column.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Yarblockos wrote:We have a budget that is supposed to be competitve for a play-off spot, yet we have a small squad, have just sold our top scorer and can't afford to bring anyone in. Just how much of the budget did TW spunk on Jason Ainge?
Nothing on Jason maybe a bit on Simon, FFS fans can't even get players names right

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 am

We seem to have a number of fans who believe that we should be beating everyone, (maybe they are confusing us with Man City?). We are a fan owned, non league team, who does not have its own ground, limiting our capacity to make money while having large financial commitments in rent etc. We can't compete for local talented players against Spennymoor, South Shields, Hartlepool, York and Harrogate financially but we get moans that players are having to travel. In this league there are strange results every week, full time teams with big squads and big budgets getting beat week in week out. For me I am happy that we finally seem to be building for the future with the academy and financial acumen and some good players.

We have a small squad with some really good players, but lack a little confidence, especially in front of the home crowd, (understandable given some of the comment coming from the crowd by odd individuals at times). We have played some excellent games, in fact played Bradford PA off the pitch for a good part of that away game and they are top of the league.

In yesterdays game, yes it was not a brilliant start, but the first goal was a fluke that seemed to bounce just in front of the keeper, (we have seen that happen to the top keepers in the premier league), which gave them a great lift and will have knocked our confidence, but we still had a chance to pull it back with O'Hanlon missing what looked like a sitter, (he played ok to be honest just coming back from injury).

Second half gave away a poor goal, (to be honest Hughes played ok in defence, but looks like he may be putting on a touch of weight again, looking a little slow when running back with defender and consequently diving in to try and get ball but missing a couple of times). But then we seemed to step up a gear and MoM for me David Syres pulled that goal back and there was the boost needed. Nicholson played really well and got the second. Thommo had a shot saved, (their keeper was very good I thought), Harvey had what I thought was a good goal as I thought there keeper dived over Syres, rather than Syres fouling the keeper, (video will confirm I suppose), Ainge missed a sitter that looked easier to score. So chances were there for us to wrap the game up. The crowd where I was got really excited, and it lifted everyone with the noise of support for the team being brilliant till the end.

I agree not a brilliant game, but some good play at times and excitement, (I agree we need some strength in midfield as we struggle against strong physical teams), but we are where we are, and we are not a team who can expect to be the best and roll teams over. For those that are expecting more all I can say is enjoy what we have, otherwise you are going to be upset a few more times this year, (which ever team you support in the league to be honest).

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:18 am

50 years wrote:We seem to have a number of fans who believe that we should be beating everyone, (maybe they are confusing us with Man City?). We are a fan owned, non league team, who does not have its own ground, limiting our capacity to make money while having large financial commitments in rent etc. We can't compete for local talented players against Spennymoor, South Shields, Hartlepool, York and Harrogate financially but we get moans that players are having to travel. In this league there are strange results every week, full time teams with big squads and big budgets getting beat week in week out. For me I am happy that we finally seem to be building for the future with the academy and financial acumen and some good players.

We have a small squad with some really good players, but lack a little confidence, especially in front of the home crowd, (understandable given some of the comment coming from the crowd by odd individuals at times). We have played some excellent games, in fact played Bradford PA off the pitch for a good part of that away game and they are top of the league.

In yesterdays game, yes it was not a brilliant start, but the first goal was a fluke that seemed to bounce just in front of the keeper, (we have seen that happen to the top keepers in the premier league), which gave them a great lift and will have knocked our confidence, but we still had a chance to pull it back with O'Hanlon missing what looked like a sitter, (he played ok to be honest just coming back from injury).

Second half gave away a poor goal, (to be honest Hughes played ok in defence, but looks like he may be putting on a touch of weight again, looking a little slow when running back with defender and consequently diving in to try and get ball but missing a couple of times). But then we seemed to step up a gear and MoM for me David Syres pulled that goal back and there was the boost needed. Nicholson played really well and got the second. Thommo had a shot saved, (their keeper was very good I thought), Harvey had what I thought was a good goal as I thought there keeper dived over Syres, rather than Syres fouling the keeper, (video will confirm I suppose), Ainge missed a sitter that looked easier to score. So chances were there for us to wrap the game up. The crowd where I was got really excited, and it lifted everyone with the noise of support for the team being brilliant till the end.

I agree not a brilliant game, but some good play at times and excitement, (I agree we need some strength in midfield as we struggle against strong physical teams), but we are where we are, and we are not a team who can expect to be the best and roll teams over. For those that are expecting more all I can say is enjoy what we have, otherwise you are going to be upset a few more times this year, (which ever team you support in the league to be honest).
Well said..We have seen worst games at BM

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:04 am

I would add to the above list of chances that I thought that the tackle on Trotman just before we scored the second goal looked very much like a foul and a penalty. The amount of anger shown by the Hereford players seemed to be on the basis that Trotman had dived, but there was no appeal by our lad, so I think that a lot of this protesting too much was due to the realisation that we did have a good shout.

I know that we were for the most part trying to find a way through a packed defence and it seemed perfectly right to try and get the ball forward quickly, as we did in the first half in particular, but trying to pace a ball to fall into the stride of a mobile forward such as Saunders or Nicholson seems to find us wanting and most balls were over or under hit so possession was surrendered. We looked rather better when we had two targets up front in Syers and Ainge who came rather shorter to offer a less demanding ball be played up to them and they could hold it up or flick it on. As others have observed, we are a bit light weighted in several areas which sets the team up to be a swift, accurate passing side that will run through and beyond the opposition. This can work when faced with teams that are open to free play and leave gaps but the hard as nails teams that offer few openings push our passing ability to its limits and sadly we often come up short.

But having said that I'm still supportive of the team and understand the need to work within a budget that may well have been thought good enough for a play-off push at the start of the season, but until you see what the opposition have got how do you know if it is enough? Much as we would like to be the team everyone fears we are clearly not in that position and we may be looking more down than up for the rest of the season. We could probably get by if we continue to replicate the form we have shown thus far, mainly draws, and a few wins, but that won't bring in the crowds and make the extra cash. Home form needs to be a whole lot better, as we seem to be capable of a fairly respectable away form. Why do we struggle at home? That is certainly difficult to answer. We clearly aren't blowing teams away and find it hard to score goals. Yesterday we did create chances but we're a bit wild and over keen and snatched at shots. Tension and a lack of confidence created by a long list of failures at home can weigh very heavy on anyone who is presented with a chance to score. Having got to the point where we have stopped losing can we make extra shift of confidence to go out and get wins?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 am

Coming back from 2-0 down is a big advance on letting a 2-0 lead slip. I think Harry is correct about the general picture - what do people expect ? Having been unkind about the management team in the past I think they can keep us in this league then a dose of reality should sink in. Talk about the play offs is daft, even if we got there and somehow went up how would the club manage at the next level, another relegation and years getting over it ? I honestly think some people - self included - have got used to going up. My lingering interest in you know who is probably to do with that period of success. I wonder if people are too hard on the players - we know they can play well, but often away from BM which is telling. We need to stay up and be patient. Lincoln took their time getting back to a higher level and it's paid off for them.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Our squad is stretched. We need a couple of additions, surely we can manage that?
Nope, can't afford it.

Any additions will mean costs out run revenues. Only way is young kids on loan who clubs are willing to pay wages, but with that your not sure what you are getting and the owner club expects them to play.
You might hit lucky with a young kid - like we did with Pears - but it seems we are crying out for some experienced older heads/ leaders - and you are unlikely to get that from an academy lad, no matter how talented they may be.

Aren't too many of those around part time at our level, so we probably have to make do with what we have - which is where a tactically astute and motivational manager comes in - the question is 'do we have one?'

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Unfortunately, recruitment over the summer has not helped. Ainge and Burn have been very disappointing signings so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Talk about the play offs is daft, even if we got there and somehow went up how would the club manage at the next level, another relegation and years getting over it ?
An interesting sentence - I'm going to split it in two.

Talk about the playoffs is far from daft. What kind of football club would ever not talk about getting into the playoffs? What kind of football club manager would ever not talk about getting into the playoffs? And what kind of players would be attracted to a club like this? It would be a great pre match team talk wouldn't it ............ "listen lads, we haven't got the talent in our team to get top seven and in any case we'll be straight back down even if we do make it, so no need to bust a gut today"

My view is we do have all that's required to get into the playoffs and should be aiming for that. If we don't aim for that and push for that then we will be going backwards! And that will definitely not attract new fans or advertisers or interest in any way.

However I do see your point about struggling at the next level however what a nice problem to have! If we can get to the playoffs (M.G. managed it incidentally) and if we can win them (which is a tall order) then we would have to really rally round and make a huge boost on and off the pitch to try to reconsolidate.

Football is all about challenges. Our aim should be the playoffs, this is not an unreasonable expectation - I think you should think again.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Gray never had to sell his main striker 14 games into the season, nor did he have to work to a restricted budget.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:45 pm

m62exile wrote:Unfortunately, recruitment over the summer has not helped. Ainge and Burn have been very disappointing signings so far.

At the time, they both had the pedigree to be viewed as excellent signings for the club. Can't recall any dissent at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:28 pm

I didn’t comment on their pedigree. I commented on their performances.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:51 pm

The whole club just feels to be lacking any sort of spark. Yesterday there wasn't much urgency from the players, not a great atmosphere, and there were no real moments of quality. Add in a terrible ground and having no money, and the whole club just feels, to me at least, really flat.

Oh for a decent cup run to give us some sort of spark.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:08 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Gray never had to sell his main striker 14 games into the season, nor did he have to work to a restricted budget.
Once again, TW's supporters always look for excuses.

Even with the same budget, TW would struggle in my opinion. He's quite simply a mediocre manager and his record says everything.

Let's not forget, he himself said the quality in the squad was better than last season. DJ has said we should challenging for the play-offs.

Under TW, our form has been indifferent for 12 months. We'll go on a bad run, then a decent run, then indifferent. And then repeat the cycle. He's a bang average manager who is achieving bang average results with a squad that by his own admission is capable of more.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:15 pm

50 years wrote:We seem to have a number of fans who believe that we should be beating everyone, (maybe they are confusing us with Man City?).
Here we go again with this patronising crap.

No one is saying we should be beating everyone or that we should be playing like Brazil. It's exaggerated bullshit.

All people are saying is we should be achieving more than what we're doing. It's not asking much for a side that's supposedly a top 10 team to not be struggling to a 2-2 draw against the least in-form side in the league.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback again Gramps, always look forward to it. I note your quoteon another recent thread "His opinion (for that is all it is) is just as valid as mine or yours" applies to me too as it is my opinion, not just from this thread but on many where I personally feel "some" people do believe that our budget allows us to beat most teams,(although not sure where I mentioned Brazil but I am sure that you will be able to put me right on that, also not sure where patronising bit comes in but I may not quite understand so wont argue, and too be honest English was always my worst subject at school many years ago).

I often wondered if I had ever met you at one of the games by accident, but don't believe I can have, but I have to say that I have met many people who appear to be like you over the years who write or say things to get a response by using certain language. In most cases I found these people to be lonely and unhappy in life - I do hope this does not apply to you.

I hope that the games improve to your satisfaction and you can start to enjoy them again.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:32 pm

50 years wrote:Thanks for your feedback again Gramps, always look forward to it. I note your quoteon another recent thread "His opinion (for that is all it is) is just as valid as mine or yours" applies to me too as it is my opinion, not just from this thread but on many where I personally feel "some" people do believe that our budget allows us to beat most teams.
So now it's "most" teams. Earlier in the thread you were saying "everyone". You're already rowing back. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate, maybe give an example of where someone has said we should be beating most teams. If not, then it suggests you're exaggerating and can't back it up.

Of course you're entitled to have an opinion, but it doesn't mean I have to respect it. I'm perfectly entitled to criticise it, and to do so in strong terms if I wish. You're a grown man, I'm sure you can cope with your opinion being described as crap and bullshit. Why the upset? They're just words.
(although not sure where I mentioned Brazil but I am sure that you will be able to put me right on that, also not sure where patronising bit comes in but I may not quite understand so wont argue, and too be honest English was always my worst subject at school many years ago).
You didn't mention Brazil, but HarrytheQuaker did. Hence me including it in my criticism of people who deliberately misinterpret any suggestion TW is underperforming. As for patronising, saying anyone who criticises TW and the team is "confusing us for Man City" is the perfect example. Hope that clears things up.
I often wondered if I had ever met you at one of the games by accident, but don't believe I can have, but I have to say that I have met many people who appear to be like you over the years who write or say things to get a response by using certain language. In most cases I found these people to be lonely and unhappy in life - I do hope this does not apply to you.
What's interesting is your failure to defend your opinion here. Nowhere have you tried to back up your opinion, or go into a bit more depth about why you think this.

Instead you're choosing to make jibes at me (a sure sign you know your argument is weak - so you play the man not the ball). So if all you can do is make jibes about me, rather than defend your opinion, and maybe even criticise mine, well it says a lot about the weakness of your own argument and debating abilities.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Gramps, you are right I did exaggerate (on purpose to be honest), as nobody has said we should beat every one, but there a numerous mentions of what we should have done with the budget we have, and numerous comments against games that we have not won and some fans thinking we should have, I am sure that you can find these if you look. Any team in this league seems capable of beating any other team so lots of unpredictable results.

As for your opinion I do value it as much as anyone else's, (although may not be keen on the words you use at times, but I am big enough and old enough not to be worried about them directed at me - I am sure I have had much worse over the years, especially when I was at work to be honest ;) ). I even mentioned I look forward to your comments, some with real value and understanding, (loses a bit of impact when you get personal I believe, but that is just my personal opinion).

As to patronising, I was not on about people criticising TW, would think even he will think he has got it wrong at times, but my comments were regarding some fans expectations. Maybe I have low or realistic expectations, (although generally a very happy and busy bunny most of the time ;) ), and therefore I enjoy it when things go well even more.

As for what you believe to be a Jibe, it was an genuine concern, (I exaggerated again as it should have read a "few" not "many" people over the years).

Still so this does not overtake a thread about the football game, I hope this answers your questions too.

"Up the Quakers"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Gray never had to sell his main striker 14 games into the season, nor did he have to work to a restricted budget.
You've missed my point. I'm not a Gray fan or someone who has ever criticised T.W. - although he is not above criticism.

I mentioned Gray in my reply to Wiseacre simply to point out that a playoff position should always be a realistic aim for us while we remain in this league - I wasn't keen on Wiseacre's "talking about the playoffs is daft" line, and I really hope that this attitude hasn't in some way filtered into the dressing room - if it has it might explain why sometimes, at home, we look flat!

In our first season at Blackwell Meadows, while still riding high on confidence we went for it and reached 5th in the table - and we should always go for it, everyone from the top management down to the players/fans must believe that we can reach a top 7 place.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 pm

50 years wrote:Gramps, you are right I did exaggerate (on purpose to be honest), as nobody has said we should beat every one, but there a numerous mentions of what we should have done with the budget we have, and numerous comments against games that we have not won and some fans thinking we should have, I am sure that you can find these if you look. Any team in this league seems capable of beating any other team so lots of unpredictable results.
Surely this is a point about expectation-management. Remember TW saying the squad this season was better than the one last season? When the manager says things like that, and then has his team only three points off the relegation zone, I think people are right to question him.

It's either the case that TW (and DJ) have raised expectations too high, or TW is not achieving as much as he should be.
I even mentioned I look forward to your comments, some with real value and understanding, (loses a bit of impact when you get personal I believe, but that is just my personal opinion).
I don't get personal with people, not often anyway. But I get repeated attacks on my character. I've even had people suggest I have mental health problems, yet this never gets condemned. Yet I say someone's opinion is bullshit (note - I'm criticising the opinion) and people start getting upset. There's a double standard, definitely.
As for what you believe to be a Jibe, it was an genuine concern

No it wasn't. Have the balls to admit it. There's a clear implication in your post and most sensible people will pick up on it, which makes your comment about me "getting personal" hypocritical.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Your right again, I meant "genuine comment" not "genuine concern" from previous experience.

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:21 pm

This is getting a bit tedious for the rest of us. Would you both like to go away into a corner of some other thread and sort it out there?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 pm

jonn wrote:This is getting a bit tedious for the rest of us. Would you both like to go away into a corner of some other thread and sort it out there?
If you don't like reading it, skip over it.