Craig Stoddart interview with Martin Gray

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo2807
Team Supported: Darlington

Craig Stoddart interview with Martin Gray

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:13 pm

onewayup

Re: Craig Stoddart interview with Martin Gray

Post by onewayup » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:36 pm

He accepts some of the blame and tries to offload /aportion blame to our board,
Yes he did well for the club whilst in charge but thought he was the be all and end all, I really hope he is contrite for the disgraceful scenes at that A.G.M

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm

I know somone who has had dealings with Gray and his opinion is that he was a complete twat to deal with. He was cutting corners and not following the rules.
This person has also worked with TW and I don’t think he is much better, must be a football thing, the egos are big.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

coles

Post by coles » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:24 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I know somone who has had dealings with Gray and his opinion is that he was a complete twat to deal with. He was cutting corners and not following the rules.
This person has also worked with TW and I don’t think he is much better, must be a football thing, the egos are big.
I’ve experienced both managers and Martin was very driven and focused on getting what he wanted ultimately to the detriment of the club and himself. Tommy in the other ha d totally gets the club the infrastructure and the limitations that go with being fan owned, he is also extremely switched on from a business perspective.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:39 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:He was cutting corners and not following the rules.
What does that even mean in context? What rules? And what shortcuts are possible? Such a vague nothing statement.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 am

It was the involvement of Singh which really capped it for me.How Gray thought that we would want anything more to do with him was way off beam.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 am

lo36789 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:He was cutting corners and not following the rules.
What does that even mean in context? What rules? And what shortcuts are possible? Such a vague nothing statement.
tool
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 am

As far as I am aware beyond admin mistakes by the board (player registration / international clearance) we didn’t breach any FA regs under Gray so I am confused about what rules he broke?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

lo36789 wrote:As far as I am aware beyond admin mistakes by the board (player registration / international clearance) we didn’t breach any FA regs under Gray so I am confused about what rules he broke?
I think the fact he's gone down the route of namecalling, rather than explaining himself says everything.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

In my opinion that interview only compounds the contempt he displayed on his departure. Smacks of ..yes I made mistakes but others made more and bigger ones ...
Everything was taken out of context and people misunderstood him ...no he rumbled himself.
Trying to drag John Tempest into the infamous Raj Singh fans forum fiasco. Sure JT would have a different recollection of events.
Playing the sympathy card, harassed on a night out, what did you expect!!!
Sideways swipe when asked about HIS academy ... "but DFC did,nt pay my staff to coach in primary schools telling the kids they,ll play for the football club" . Sounds similar to a recent post on the forum !!!Good luck Shildon looks like the parasite has landed

Sounds like we need to start baking a second pie, and then a third, ad infinitum

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am

leedscol wrote:It was the involvement of Singh which really capped it for me.How Gray thought that we would want anything more to do with him was way off beam.
Thing is though, plenty of fans did want to hear from Singh. In fact, if you search through their posts on here, some of the most vociferous anti-Gray voices on here were very much willing to consider leaping into bed with Raj (metaphorically speaking of course).

I think Gray is quite clearly trying to clear the decks and at least give himself the option of a possible return. You don't give a contrite, in-depth interview like that to the Darlington FC reporter of the local paper without having some sort of agenda.

However I do detect some genuine realisation that he messed up and handled it badly. I doubt he'll ever be back here so it doesn't really matter. Time to finally move on, for everyone involved.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

MG Actions/Comments, immediately prior too, during and after his departure have probably put him on a par with RS as the likely least welcome people at any DFC gathering / discussion of any sort. I always thought RS was out there way ahead and uncatchable ..so in that respect MG has brought about a quite remarkable result.

Ultimately, and unfortunately for him .. His Ambition was not matched by his Ability. Despite being given every advantage. Opportunity squandered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:07 pm

'Hate knows no hatred like love to hatred turned' said the Bard or Reg Brearley. I've said positive things about MG in these columns and had clear feedback that I'm mistaken. Fair enough he's upset a lot of loyal fans so any comeback looks unlikely but I did think his interview saw him putting down one or two markers. Long memories might recall stranger things happening at the club; three times with Dave Hodgson ? Once with Danny Bergara ? Paul Ward betraying Cyril Knowles - real Shakespearean that one. MG is a winner, if he could get himself house trained and properly apologise I sense some minds could change. I predict there's more to come on this one. 'Let's reason with the worst that may befall.' A. Sproates.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Even "house trained" he'd just be more subtle in trying to rid us of the fan owned ethic. :roll: