REECE STYCHE TRANSFERRED TO ALFRETON CONFIRMED

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

REECE STYCHE TRANSFERRED TO ALFRETON CONFIRMED

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:00 am

The sale is blamed on lower crowds and the early exit from the FA Cup.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/reece-s ... o-alfreton
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Re: REECE STYCHE TRANSFERRED TO ALFRETON CONFIRMED

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:27 am

Interesting to see the FA Cup referenced, as I thought we had supposedly stopped budgeting for this.

Chicken and egg with the crowds. Not playing terribly well, awful home record, perceived poor experience in the ground. Not sure how you grow attendances given what is happening on the field without some extra budget, or fix the ground without the budget, an additional budget which would largely be driven by.... increased attendances.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, but the new guys have got a challenge on their hands. I hope Tommy gets at least some money to try and bring in someone else though (even if they're on a lesser salary than Reece, and it sounds like we've received a fee also). Either that, or we need to try and exploit links with Liddle at Boro and get a couple of their kids in. The squad is wafer thin, and we need someone for midfield in particular.

HampshireQuaker

Post by HampshireQuaker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 am

It doesn't say we budgeted for a cup run. It reads more like the FA cup is gone as a way of making up for a shortfall in attendances.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:44 am

H1987 wrote:Interesting to see the FA Cup referenced, as I thought we had supposedly stopped budgeting for this.

Chicken and egg with the crowds. Not playing terribly well, awful home record, perceived poor experience in the ground. Not sure how you grow attendances given what is happening on the field without some extra budget, or fix the ground without the budget, an additional budget which would largely be driven by.... increased attendances.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, but the new guys have got a challenge on their hands. I hope Tommy gets at least some money to try and bring in someone else though (even if they're on a lesser salary than Reece, and it sounds like we've received a fee also). Either that, or we need to try and exploit links with Liddle at Boro and get a couple of their kids in. The squad is wafer thin, and we need someone for midfield in particular.
I read it that crowds were lower than expected and because we are out of the fa cup we can't use that additional money to cover the shortfall.

Tbh, my biggest issue is that we can't seem to get the average crowd right, just budget for a 1000 and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am

disappointing if no FA Cup money is a factor. we really need to stick to not allowing for this. unless we already are and signed Styche under a previous budget which did expect Cup money?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am

shawry wrote:
H1987 wrote:Interesting to see the FA Cup referenced, as I thought we had supposedly stopped budgeting for this.

I read it that crowds were lower than expected and because we are out of the fa cup we can't use that additional money to cover the shortfall.

Tbh, my biggest issue is that we can't seem to get the average crowd right, just budget for a 1000 and be done with it.

Yeah, quite possibly actually. I'm also wondering if Styche was on a high salary. I'm sure he was probably the best paid player at the club.

I hope we're not seriously going to try and play the rest of the season with this squad though. We can't keep having a bench full of unheard of kids, who you wouldn't trust to come on in all but a scenario where we are winning comfortably.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm

H1987 wrote:
shawry wrote:

Yeah, quite possibly actually. I'm also wondering if Styche was on a high salary. I'm sure he was probably the best paid player at the club.

I hope we're not seriously going to try and play the rest of the season with this squad though. We can't keep having a bench full of unheard of kids, who you wouldn't trust to come on in all but a scenario where we are winning comfortably.
I doubt he was the best paid I'm sure it will be Collins and Caton as they are on the older contracts from Martin Gray.

I wouldnt object to using the funds to paying these two players off now, they might accept a lower one off payment and they will have the freedom to go and search for another club.

A couple of other things.
1)The statement came across as very negative as it did not mention anything about what Tommy is going to do in Styche's absence - even if it said Tommy is assessing his options with regard to the squad - it dangles a carrot to the fans and lets the players know they need to continue performing.
2) Tommy has had the rug pulled from under him, I'm sure if results start to turn negative again he will have a valid excuse.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:22 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
H1987 wrote:
shawry wrote:

I doubt he was the best paid I'm sure it will be Collins and Caton as they are on the older contracts from Martin Gray.

I wouldnt object to using the funds to paying these two players off now, they might accept a lower one off payment and they will have the freedom to go and search for another club.

A couple of other things.
1)The statement came across as very negative as it did not mention anything about what Tommy is going to do in Styche's absence - even if it said Tommy is assessing his options with regard to the squad - it dangles a carrot to the fans and lets the players know they need to continue performing.
2) Tommy has had the rug pulled from under him, I'm sure if results start to turn negative again he will have a valid excuse.
1) Could be turned around I 2 weeks time if we haven't signed anyone and fans start saying 'he said he was going to get back into the market.
2) Our home record has been pretty appalling early this season just as easy to blame Tommy for failing to entertain and get those extra fans through the gate.

This is just the reality of running a business on a budget. Remember sales is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is always king. Unfortunately if revenue was down below what was expected that means less cash in the business. That could have been mitigated with FA Cup prize money but we didn't progress in the FA cup. As such, and to avoid any cash issues down the road, we have taken an acceptable offer for a player meaning both cash and a lowering of our overheads.

I said it on another thread and it has been said above, I do think we need to be taking a closer look at the loan market and getting players in without burdening ourselves with large costs.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 pm

HampshireQuaker wrote:It doesn't say we budgeted for a cup run. It reads more like the FA cup is gone as a way of making up for a shortfall in attendances.

Correct.

I knew that would be the first question when the cup was mentioned.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 pm

We're averaging over 1400 (about the same as last season)- so it makes me wonder what we actually budgeted for with the quote 'we set a budget for the season based on basic crowd levels, but unfortunately those haven’t been forthcoming'

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

al_quaker wrote:We're averaging over 1400 (about the same as last season)- so it makes me wonder what we actually budgeted for with the quote 'we set a budget for the season based on basic crowd levels, but unfortunately those haven’t been forthcoming'
Exactly..........What is the big secret DJ, what did you budget for? I don't find the statement helpful at all.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 pm

I am not knocking what he achieved with us in his short period here, we will miss him, but Facts do not lie...……... According to Wiki, this is Reece's 15th Club in 14 years. He did stay 4 years at Forest Green, outside these 14 years. If I was an Alfreton fan I don't think I would have his name printed on the back of my replica shirt just yet!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Think we deserve a bit more of an explanation.

Surely we did not budget for more than 1400. That wouldn’t make any sense after being told that budgeting for a lower average attendance was a big part of the playing budget being cut by so much.
Read another fan asking why we need to do it at all after raising £300k+ in last 12 months from BtB, Dolphin centre meeting plea for help, players sales and the goal celebration.

Have to say that I agree and would like some better communication than is coming out at present.

Also remember TW saying at a forum that he had the big north east clubs practically begging him to take players on loan. We’ll surely we need some now with a wafer thin squad.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Don't think we will be leant players to warm the bench. They would have to go straight into the first 11. Therefore we'd dip in if we had an injury.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm

I've heard that Alfreton paid 60k for Reece.

Tops what we paid last season & also takes a hefty wage off the wage bill.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm

AndyPark wrote:I've heard that Alfreton paid 60k for Reece.

Reece's Tweet refers to HIM bringing in nearly £60,000 to the Club. Must admit when I read this I took this to include the Marathon Bet figure as well. Perhaps the fee was nearer £40,000? Either way Reece may have forgotten how much we forked out for him to offset against the £60,000!

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm

bga wrote:

Reece's Tweet refers to HIM bringing in nearly £60,000 to the Club. Must admit when I read this I took this to include the Marathon Bet figure as well. Perhaps the fee was nearer £40,000? Either way Reece may have forgotten how much we forked out for him to offset against the £60,000!
Didn’t we pay £20k for him ?

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

If that is correct then how can we refuse that sort of figure at our level, plus it gives Harvey a great chance to develop with extra games.No brainier IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: 2) Tommy has had the rug pulled from under him, I'm sure if results start to turn negative again he will have a valid excuse.
One of the principle reasons we are in this position is because the squad are underperforming under Tommy. No way should we have been 4th bottom with the budget we have. If Tommy had managed to get his side to win a few more games and actually win a cup tie he might have had some more wiggle room.

I personally felt like Tommy should have been sacked after the cup defeat, on reflection I think I might have been a bit hasty, but looking back you can see the damage it has done us.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Think we get £60k cause we was called up for Gibraltar for the Nations League, we get the amount from UEFA as compensation after the Nations League has finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Said in the Echo that we’re getting more than we paid for him so wouldn’t expect it to be more than £25k, main thing is the money we’ll save on his wages heard he was in about £700 a week, don’t know how true that is but will be a substantial saving.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:20 pm

jjlewis1k89 wrote:Think we get £60k cause we was called up for Gibraltar for the Nations League, we get the amount from UEFA as compensation after the Nations League has finished.

It's about 3k per game I think (though unsure if that's each game they play, or each game they miss) though it could be less if it's based on the level of the country and the club.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Think we deserve a bit more of an explanation.

Surely we did not budget for more than 1400.
Not often I agree with you but today I do.

Here is a fact..

The basic budget (before BTB) was going to be a 40% CUT on last season's budget, and would represent a budget which would see our expectation to be avoid relegation! We were told that we were forecasting very cautiously, which I was happy with. The rest was up to us and we came through on that...

Anyway, disregarding the BTB (because it was an addition to the budget) the basic budget must have been set on crowds above 1,400 - WHY? And also HOW can a basic budget based on such HIGH crowd figures be so poor in relation to many other clubs in this league?

What else are we paying out on? How much rent are we giving DRFC? Is it true that they are getting half of the advertising hoarding money? How come - the hoardings are hung on OUR fence? The one that we paid for and built.

What next, are they going to stop us sitting in our stands unless we give them half of the gate receipts?

Do we have a sign up yet saying that we play at BM, cos I haven't seen one?

Seems like the rugby club just want whatever cash they can get out of us and are not prepared to give any concessions to help us thrive alongside them.

We need to do everything to get out of this "partnership" asap before we throw any more money at that pipe crippled joke of a fucking ground.

Pick up the phone and dial A for the Arena, NOW.

And when we put the phone down, pick it up again and dial B for Brodie - we need a cheap 3rd striker. He's probably only worth £100 a week these days.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:19 pm

The rugby club had us over a barrel as we had to of moved into a new ground by the march of the season we got promoted. They knew if they stalled long enough we would have to accept their terms or Be forcibly relegated.

Don’t see going back to the Arena as a viable option as were just swapping one rugby landlord for another who will want to squeeze every penny out of us.

Ultimately we do need to leave Blackwell but without the funding to get are own ground we’re pretty much stuffed, fan ownership has got us as far as we can, we really need a backer who can take us forward.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 pm

It's very frustrating at the moment, but we just have to be patient. Blackwell Meadows is what we have for the time being. It's not a good arrangement for a number of reasons, but there are no other options on the table. We know that David Johnston is currently in talks with the council about the Sporting Village and we need to see what he can pull out. By people not watching us play the only harm they are doing is the football club, as proved by us having to sell Reece Styche.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Forget B for Brodie.... it should be dial B for Bazza.....

The Bald Messiah is back in the gym, had his knee done and is only 40....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 64973.html

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Forget B for Brodie.... it should be dial B for Bazza.....

The Bald Messiah is back in the gym, had his knee done and is only 40....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 64973.html
Absolutely no sign of a man-bun there!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 pm

I particularly loved this one from Bazza.....

"I lose track of where I’ve been sometimes, I’ve been around that much. Sometimes, you forget entire seasons."

Aye, some of those seasons were a bit like that!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:45 pm

We love you Barry. ..one of our better singing efforts. I remember this went on and on at Macclesfield. He scored some great goals, Bristol Rovers away?

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 pm

That hat-trick on his return