Styche gone this week

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Styche gone this week

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 am

50 years wrote:With Alfreton selling Tom Denton to Chesterfield last week, Styche is obviously there replacement, (although they did also sign a forward and defender earlier last week I think, so they must have a touch of money available so. May be a real challenge for the play off's this year?
Alfreton are loaded, they got a few million in the summer from a 25% sell on fee from Aden Flint being sold to Middlesbrough for 8 million quid.

They've also got millionaire investors/owners. They should be there or thereabouts.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am

be interesting to see if positive results continue without Styche in the team....removes the headache for TW having to shoehorn Styche and Ainge into the lineup....forced to rely on Saunders...TW / the team having to play slightly differently...

reminds me a bit of last season when TW had to abandon his preferred line up / tactics and we went on a decent run....

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

AndyPark wrote:
50 years wrote:With Alfreton selling Tom Denton to Chesterfield last week, Styche is obviously there replacement, (although they did also sign a forward and defender earlier last week I think, so they must have a touch of money available so. May be a real challenge for the play off's this year?
Alfreton are loaded, they got a few million in the summer from a 25% sell on fee from Aden Flint being sold to Middlesbrough for 8 million quid.

They've also got millionaire investors/owners. They should be there or thereabouts.

Think you are mistaken. Alfreton got 25% of the fee when Swindon sold the player to Bristol City.

They had no entitlement to any % of the fee when Bristol City subsequently sold him to Middlesbrough.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm

great posts by Divas.

I think it's summed up that it's next to impossible to predict a budget and our board to their best. When it goes slightly wrong as least they are proactive in trying to tighten it up.

DJ is a great asset and as Loan Star pointed out, we'd be a hell of a lot worse off if it wasn't for him.

Question from me is about Boost the Budget. Please keep saying we gave the budget £80k, but did we? Did everyone who pledged pay up or is paying? What's to stop someone cancelling their direct debit?

How would you ever be able to budget for that?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

On the subject of crowds, is it just me or do we seem to get very small away followings? No one ever takes the amount we take to other grounds, and 200-300 paying on the day would be a huge difference if it happened semi regularly. There's enough big clubs in the division capable of bringing those numbers. They probably don't fancy the uncovered hard standing.

FWIW, are we actually sure that we are having to cut the budget, or perhaps we've received an offer that represents a good profit on the player, we've looked at it and thought... 'well, we have Ainge, and Saunders is coming along well...' and thought we'll accept it and take the money. Maybe it's less a money panic, and more a situation where the club shouldn't turn down good offers that represent a profit on a player we can possibly cope without (possibly in the managers opinion).

I'm curious where he ends up, but we absolutely must bring in a midfielder with some of the money.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:14 pm

AndyPark wrote:
50 years wrote: They've also got millionaire investors/owners. They should be there or thereabouts.
Sounds like a club nearby.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm

H1987 wrote:On the subject of crowds, is it just me or do we seem to get very small away followings? No one ever takes the amount we take to other grounds, and 200-300 paying on the day would be a huge difference if it happened semi regularly. There's enough big clubs in the division capable of bringing those numbers. They probably don't fancy the uncovered hard standing.
I was standing next to some away fans earlier in the season (I think it was the Alfreton game) and they were saying that BM was the worst ground in the league. They were complaining that last season they weren't allowed in the Tinshed when it was raining and that the view from the hard standing was really poor. They still turned up, so I don't know if the conditions would put off a dedictaed away fan. However, the poor match day experience is a reality for both home and away fans and it was the first time I realised that we probably do have the worse ground in the league to watch football at.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 pm

JE93 wrote:
divas wrote:I don’t get some of this train of thought at all. It’s not like the club have come out and asked the fans for money or are burying their heads in the sand like previous years, they are pro-actively dealing with a forecasted gap in the budget by accepting a good offer for a player that cost us less when we bought him. I’d much rather this than the alternative we’ve faced in recent seasons. Of course you’d like to get the budget bang on at the outset but that’s not always possible for a number of reasons. The next best thing is you manage it from operational revenue which we’re now doing rather than by borrowing or not servicing debt as we’ve done in the past.

As long as you have the flexibility in the squad to do that - i.e. saleable assets. The alternative would have been to get rid of key high earners like Styche in the summer and face a relegation battle (cue the comments re: us being in one... I think everyone will accept that’s not solely down to budget)

The real disappointment amongst fans if they are honest isn’t the fact that we’re re-aligning our budget (like any prudent business should) but the realisation that we can’t compete in a regional league with decent sized crowds relative to our opposition. Many need to take a reality check of where we’ve come from and what we’ve had to spend to get to this point both on and off the pitch.

The creation of an academy and the appointment of a full time commercial director is the club’s attempt at developing new revenue streams rather than relying on gate receipts which have shown will never be enough to get where we want to get to.

We’re looking at a good few years of consolidation under this model, or if people are that impatient then the other option is one where we’ve been before and is the root cause of us of having to start from scratch in 2012.
Good post divas. Think you're bang on.

Budgeting for football without a benefactor to pick up any slack is incredibly tough. Under budget or get your cash flow forecasts wrong and you create cash problem. Budget too conservatively and you run the risk of providing a team that can't compete on the pitch in which case crowds dwindle anyway. It's a game where losses are unnacceptble, but so are significant profits.

At least what we're seeing is proactive financial controls in place. We have got an offer for more than what we paid for Styche, which I was lead to believe was a decent fee. It provides a cash injection into the club and lessens our liabilities.

Certainly gives even more importance to the FA Trophy and the potential prize money it could bring in. We enter at the 3rd qualifying round on the 24th November. Not as much as the FA cup but some very helpful sums if we could make it through a few rounds:

Third round qualifying (40) £5,000
First round (32) £6,000
Second round (16) £7,000
Third round (8) £8,000
Fourth round (4) £10,000
Semi-Final (2) £20,000
Final runners-up (1) £30,000
Final winners (1) £60,000

I also think we need to be making better use of the loan market. Gateshead are working on a highly reduced budget this season (albeit still probably more than their crowds can afford) but they have At least 3 squad members on loan from the big 3 north east clubs.
And a big miss they will be when they go too especially Ainsley pears. Seems an experience keeper for 20 year old.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Remember first time I saw styche playing for Macclesfield at Gateshead during a frustrating good Friday game. was cocky but still a confident striker with a few goals in him. When he signed for Gateshead he never did much at all and was no big loss when he went to Tamworth, who I presume darlington must have paid s good fee too to so far away from home for part time football

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 am

I’m convinced that the loss of the man-bun has been a factor. He’s not looked as confident since he reverted to a more regulation haircut. I remember from the 1980s that David Currie seemed to be less potent immediately after his mullet was trimmed back

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 am

Good spot. Things were never the same after his man-bun went, I remember that he lost form straight away.

I'm still wandering if there's more to this move than is being let on. It's great that everything appears to be civil, but in reality is it? Ultimately D.J makes these decisions, so has he noticed something or does he suspect something?

We'll never know....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:I’m convinced that the loss of the man-bun has been a factor. He’s not looked as confident since he reverted to a more regulation haircut. I remember from the 1980s that David Currie seemed to be less potent immediately after his mullet was trimmed back
David Cork also struggled once he had his locks trimmed

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 am

How odd: From football database

Reece Styche

Date of BirthMay 03, 198929 years

Birthplace Sutton Coldfield

Height1m85

Nationality Gibraltar

Current clubFree

Number of international caps4

First capvs Faroe Islands 01/03/2014

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 am

Sorry to see Styche go, he will be missed. But I think that Saunders has stepped up this season and I think he can make up for Styche's departure. The problem will come when and if Saunders gets injured or suspended, as there isn't a ready made back up.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

Yep bang on Re Cork too. Club should issue an edict about changing hairstyles mid-season. I’ve read Reece’s comment. It felt like he wasn’t loving things up here so much, esp after Brackley. His shooting definitely got worse. Maybe more will be revealed at the FF

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Yep bang on Re Cork too. Club should issue an edict about changing hairstyles mid-season. I’ve read Reece’s comment. It felt like he wasn’t loving things up here so much, esp after Brackley. His shooting definitely got worse. Maybe more will be revealed at the FF

FF ? Fans Forum? Is there one looming?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:40 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Yep bang on Re Cork too. Club should issue an edict about changing hairstyles mid-season. I’ve read Reece’s comment. It felt like he wasn’t loving things up here so much, esp after Brackley. His shooting definitely got worse. Maybe more will be revealed at the FF

FF ? Fans Forum? Is there one looming?
Nope, but there's an AGM on Thursday at the Rolling Mills Club on Longfield Road. Sure it starts at 7.45pm.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm

That flat standing area didn't put us off going to FC united in big numbers a couple of seasons back. If you're keen nothing stops you. Been on open ends in terrible weather over the years. I think we've done well to self fund what we've got. And welcome back Quakerz even if you've not really gone away.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Good spot. Things were never the same after his man-bun went, I remember that he lost form straight away.

I'm still wandering if there's more to this move than is being let on. It's great that everything appears to be civil, but in reality is it? Ultimately D.J makes these decisions, so has he noticed something or does he suspect something?

We'll never know....
Nowt like a conspiracy theory is there?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:54 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Good spot. Things were never the same after his man-bun went, I remember that he lost form straight away.

We'll never know....
Nowt like a conspiracy theory is there?
The Feds have twigged that Jim Morrison is Quakers, that's why he's changed his name.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Hair today, gone tomorrow ;)

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

jjljks wrote:Hair today, gone tomorrow ;)
It's Snow joke

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:27 am

spen666 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Think you are mistaken. Alfreton got 25% of the fee when Swindon sold the player to Bristol City.

They had no entitlement to any % of the fee when Bristol City subsequently sold him to Middlesbrough.
Surely that depends if Swindon has a sell on clause with Bristol City - otherwise Swindon would have surely sold him for £1 plus add one to avoid paying Alfreton as much.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:39 am

H1987 wrote:On the subject of crowds, is it just me or do we seem to get very small away followings? No one ever takes the amount we take to other grounds, and 200-300 paying on the day would be a huge difference if it happened semi regularly. There's enough big clubs in the division capable of bringing those numbers. They probably don't fancy the uncovered hard standing.
Not sure on this. We don't get a smaller percentage of fans from other clubs. We actually have a large away following against our home support. The problem is that the members of our away support aren't necessarily the same as our home support.

As I understand it some are due to location. We have a higher than norm exile population I guess due to Darlington economics combined with history as a FL club (I am not sure this will be the same in the next 10-15 years). There is also as I understand it a population of Darlington based fans who prioritise away games for the day out on the beer etc. so only go away but don't come to home games.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:That flat standing area didn't put us off going to FC united in big numbers a couple of seasons back. If you're keen nothing stops you. Been on open ends in terrible weather over the years. I think we've done well to self fund what we've got. And welcome back Quakerz even if you've not really gone away.
Aye, but even that is covered, and it's not as far away from the goal as ours is. I've not watched a game from there myself, but naturally i've done the wander all the way around for unsegregated games, and it seems like the view would be woeful of the other end. When i'm in the tinshed I always try to stand nearer the back for this reason.

I know we should prioritise Darlo fans, but away fans do bring in vital extra funds, and crucially, they pay on the day. 14 quid for where we make them stand would annoy me no end, I think. I probably just wouldn't make the trip, unless it was a vital game.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Not sure on this. We don't get a smaller percentage of fans from other clubs. We actually have a large away following against our home support. The problem is that the members of our away support aren't necessarily the same as our home support.

As I understand it some are due to location. We have a higher than norm exile population I guess due to Darlington economics combined with history as a FL club (I am not sure this will be the same in the next 10-15 years). There is also as I understand it a population of Darlington based fans who prioritise away games for the day out on the beer etc. so only go away but don't come to home games.
I guess that's true, but is it so much the case while we're in the north. I'd imagine we have a fair few scattered around London, myself included. To be honest, it's much easier for me to get to home games via the east coast train, than a lot of away games in relatively obscure / badly connected spots in the North West.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm

H1987 wrote:I guess that's true, but is it so much the case while we're in the north. I'd imagine we have a fair few scattered around London, myself included. To be honest, it's much easier for me to get to home games via the east coast train, than a lot of away games in relatively obscure / badly connected spots in the North West.
Just a guess but the population of the area the league spans is greater than the population of London. So simple maths would say it would contain more Darlo fans within it.

My suspicion is when we play in Manchester we get an extra 10-20 from that locale, the same in Leeds, Birmingham etc. Again it’s not the same fans going to all games they just go to their local ones.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Any indication of you being correct?
BBCSport wrote:The BBC understands that both of Flint's former clubs, Swindon and Alfreton, will receive cash boosts following the deal, owing to sell-clauses.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44617600

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:
H1987 wrote:I guess that's true, but is it so much the case while we're in the north. I'd imagine we have a fair few scattered around London, myself included. To be honest, it's much easier for me to get to home games via the east coast train, than a lot of away games in relatively obscure / badly connected spots in the North West.
Just a guess but the population of the area the league spans is greater than the population of London. So simple maths would say it would contain more Darlo fans within it.

My suspicion is when we play in Manchester we get an extra 10-20 from that locale, the same in Leeds, Birmingham etc. Again it’s not the same fans going to all games they just go to their local ones.
As a Greater Manchester based exile I think it’s way more than 20. My impression at various grounds in this area is that about 30% of our fans are living locally or maybe have come up from the midlands. I think also that a lot more Darlington fans have moved to the Northwest, than, say, Stockport fans to the North East.