Knowledge

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

beatroute66
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Knowledge

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 am

boorman wrote:Dugald McArrison: another sliding doors moment that didn't work out for Ellison...
Or for Dugald, sadly.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

If I recall rightly we couldn't afford Dugald and I don think think he wanted to stay permanently- wanted to try his luck back at the Tic?

boorman

Post by boorman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm

I was very young at the time but I'm sure Celtic asked for a fee of 30K which was a lot less than we paid for Nick Cusack later on in the season. Someone said to me a few years ago that the problem with the deal was that Frank Gray had a policy that players had to live within a certain distance of Darlo, rather than the size of the fee. Not sure whether this is true though.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm

shildonlad wrote:I remember Lee Ellison playing non league for likes of shildon and bishop. Seemed decent at that level. He once said the scotch guy at Darlington knocked his confidence when he was younger? I'm sure he had one final shot as a pro with Darlington in late 90s under David hodgson.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
In Ellison's 2nd spell at Darlo he scored probably my favourite ever Feethams goal! It stays in my mind as I was ridiculously close to where it happened and had a very good view.

I was stood just to the "Quaker Centre" side of the goal on the first step of Polam end terracing. The ball looked to be rolling out of play and all the players bar Ellison seemed happy to let it go and switched themselves off - but Ellison wasn't giving up on it and somehow saved the ball from going out, then deftly turned and smashed it nearly vertically upwards into the roof of the net. When he hit the ball he was no more than half a yard in from the dead ball line, and just in front of me! :clap:

That's how I remember it anyway.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm

boorman wrote:Dugald McArrison: another sliding doors moment that didn't work out for Ellison. What if we'd have bought him instead of Nick Cusack? A third of the price and they had a great partnership. We'd have certainly done better that season if we'd have had McArrison.
It was McCarrison and as much as he looked good in his 5 or so matches for us, he did fuck all else in his career. It is not a given that he would have done well for Darlo if we had signed him permanently.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:It was McCarrison and as much as he looked good in his 5 or so matches for us, he did fuck all else in his career...
Possibly a touch harsh given he was out for nigh on two years after he broke his leg in a friendly.

I'm sure he didn't help himself at times - he liked a drink, I believe - but two years in a professional career that only typically lasts 15-20 years (if you're lucky) is a long time.

I'd have loved to have seen him play more for us. Him and Ellison got something going in a very short space of time.

boorman

Post by boorman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Yes I read that about 'awld Dugald a while ago. Inspired by this I did a quick google of "Victor Kasule" and whaddya know, I found an even better story!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish ... 3421466546

I think it's somehow fitting that he ended up just yards from disaster, but got away unscathed and gave himself yet another legendary anecdote.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Reading some of the views elsewhere about over reaching the clubs resources made me think about more than one season where a strong position fell away after some unexpected results. 50 year Quaker might remember the 1968-69 season when we went top in September and stayed there more or less until March when we lost every game, if I remember right. We eventually finished 5 in the days when 4 went, up after losing a notorious game at home to Bradford City. This was a very good Quakers team with such as Ken Hale, Lance Robson, Sproates, Pev and Ray Yeoman as manager. It didn't seem right at the time and Yogi left directly. Were the directors still shaken by promotion then relegation during the 1965-67 period ? Something similar happened in 1970-71 when Billy Horner was holding the side together from midfield. Dave Hodgson claimed that he was told to put the brakes on when he was about to take the team top - so if Hodgy says so it's true, eh ?
I'm not saying that Darlo would be where, say, Rotherham are now with a bit more guts from the various directors and we might have been able to break out a bit. I wonder if the players and supporters have been a bit short changed over the years. Plenty of money has gone into the club at one end over the years but too much has seemed to evaporate. It may therefore be best to stick with the current fan-based arrangement and be realistic about where we can operate.
Does anyone remember Ken Hale ? Ex first teamer at Newcastle - when they were good - one of the best attacking mid-fielders outside the top divisions.

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:13 pm

[quote="Wiseacre"]Reading some of the views elsewhere about over reaching the clubs resources made me think about more than one season where a strong position fell away after some unexpected results. 50 year Quaker might remember the 1968-69 season when we went top in September and stayed there more or less until March when we lost every game, if I remember right. We eventually finished 5 in the days when 4 went, up after losing a notorious game at home to Bradford City. This was a very good Quakers team with such as Ken Hale, Lance Robson, Sproates, Pev and Ray Yeoman as manager. It didn't seem right at the time and Yogi left directly. Were the directors still shaken by promotion then relegation during the 1965-67 period ? Something similar happened in 1970-71 when Billy Horner was holding the side together from midfield. Dave Hodgson claimed that he was told to put the brakes on when he was about to take the team top - so if Hodgy says so it's true, eh ?
I'm not saying that Darlo would be where, say, Rotherham are now with a bit more guts from the various directors and we might have been able to break out a bit. I wonder if the players and supporters have been a bit short changed over the years. Plenty of money has gone into the club at one end over the years but too much has seemed to evaporate. It may therefore be best to stick with the current fan-based arrangement and be realistic about where we can operate.
Does anyone remember Ken Hale ? Ex first teamer at Newcastle - when they were good - one of the best attacking mid-fielders outside the top divisions.[/quote]

I sort of remember Ken Hale. Don't remember him as an attacking midfielder, more your Bog Standard left half.

From our early 70's side I can't say he stood out, not like your Peter Graham's or Alan Sproats's :P

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 pm

I remember that 1968 year well, first 5 games, Lincoln had won all 5 and we had won 3 and drawn 2 (from memory) and we played Lincoln at Feethams, and we won 5-0, great days. Then down hill for a while, and as said and just missed out on promotion place as we had to beat Bradford City, (Fair bit of trouble at that game in the Tin Shed), in the last game. That Lincoln game was actually the one that got me totally glued into the club, I have the programme of the game framed on my wall at home.

As to Kenny Hale, my memory of him was as a midfielder and one of my favourite players (even used his name many years ago as one of my passwords). He could out jump most players to win headers, (remember seeing him training and using a box to jump up on, holding weights I think), and was solid quality leader as captain. I still have a signed certificate from him for raising money for the club with a walk that used to be organised now and again- those were the days. :)

That makes me feel old :roll:

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm glad 50 years remembers Ken Hale. I wonder if Bernie Rhodes is confusing him with Clive Nattrass.
Another left-half of legend cropped up recently in these columns - Joe Jacques - a sort of Ferryhill Franz Beckanbauer he didn't score often but they were worth celebrating. He scored in an incredible game at Derby County when we lost 5-4 in a league cup quarter final and drew praise from Brian Clough. Les O'Neil had put us one up at half-time. I think Hale played that night. It would be great if anyone could dig up an Evening Despatch report.