Nuneaton on the brink...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Nuneaton on the brink...

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 am

It's looking like they could well go under.... what a mess. I don't want to be cruel but would that mean only two clubs would get relegated?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ys-2060657

spen666

Re: Nuneaton on the brink...

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 am

LoidLucan wrote:It's looking like they could well go under.... what a mess. I don't want to be cruel but would that mean only two clubs would get relegated?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ys-2060657

Come on, this is the FA we are talking about. They would probably think fit to relegate 4 teams and promote a team from the South Coast to NLN!

Trying to second guess the FA is like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:41 pm

I presume this means we'll be getting some more players.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I presume this means we'll be getting some more players.
I very much doubt they are any worth having.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:I presume this means we'll be getting some more players.
I very much doubt they are any worth having.
There's a punchline to this that I feel everybody can come to by themselves.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm

They play York tonight, if they win we will be in the bottom 3.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Currently we are heading for the bottom 3. :thumbdown:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Finished 2-2 so ok for at least 2 weeks

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Apparently they played with spirit, passion and desire and should have won last night. s***, they were one of my very, very few bankers to finish below us,

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:09 am

LoidLucan wrote:Apparently they played with spirit, passion and desire and should have won last night. s***, they were one of my very, very few bankers to finish below us,
They were probably playing like that, hopefully to get a contract somewhere else! :roll:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm

They need people to come forward to save the club in the next seven to ten days or it could be shut down. They supposedly have a monthly shortfall of £17,000 to £19,000 and need people to form a board and put together financial budgets and meet the club's obligations otherwise it's curtains.
I'm sure Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite, who bought the ground and is a property developer, will find alternative uses for his asset should the worst happen to the club.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 pm

LoidLucan wrote:They need people to come forward to save the club in the next seven to ten days or it could be shut down. They supposedly have a monthly shortfall of £17,000 to £19,000 and need people to form a board and put together financial budgets and meet the club's obligations otherwise it's curtains.
I'm sure Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite, who bought the ground and is a property developer, will find alternative uses for his asset should the worst happen to the club.
That is a massive shortfall.

Don't they share a ground with the local rugby club, re. The question of what happens to the stadium?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 pm

The monthly players budget is £25,000.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 pm

LoidLucan wrote:The monthly players budget is £25,000.
Are they p/t? If so, I'm not surprised they're in the clarts because that's a ridiculous amount of money.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 am

biccynana wrote:
Are they p/t? If so, I'm not surprised they're in the clarts because that's a ridiculous amount of money.
They were full-time last season, with a squad of cheap youngsters. I haven't heard that they have gone part-time and that perhaps explains there terrible shortfall each week.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:39 pm

biccynana wrote:
They're supposedly F/T but I don't think that they ever truly were fully full time. I think at best they were training 3 times a week during the day, instead of the traditional 2 nights a week.

I vaguely recall Tommy alluding to this when asked why he would swap a full time club for a part time one. Also, I can't remember where I heard it but I was under the impression last season that their budget was around 250k.

You couldn't even run a decent F/T squad on 25k a month. 18 players at an average £1388 a month each? In reality more like £1250 each on average (gross not take home) because the club would have to also pay employers national insurance.

As a P/T budget it's a good budget, but ridiculous, no. Our budget is similar - around 250k paid over between 9 and 10 months.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 am

Nuneaton are very close to admin now. Owner has just quit after three months in charge, players not being paid on time, £30,000 HMRC bill is due and they say they need ten investors to pledge £10,000 a season on a rolling basis, taking 10% of the shares each, and that will allow them to get them through to the end of the season. Us, Curzon Ashton and FCUM are the only clubs they have beaten this season (how the feck did we manage that?). There would be a lot of clubs losing points if they can't complete the season. I'm sure the league will want to avoid that if they can as they have just 13 games left to play.

Desperate times at the club.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

LoidLucan wrote:Nuneaton are very close to admin now. Owner has just quit after three months in charge, players not being paid on time, £30,000 HMRC bill is due and they say they need ten investors to pledge £10,000 a season on a rolling basis, taking 10% of the shares each, and that will allow them to get them through to the end of the season. Us, Curzon Ashton and FCUM are the only clubs they have beaten this season (how the feck did we manage that?). There would be a lot of clubs losing points if they can't complete the season. I'm sure the league will want to avoid that if they can as they have just 13 games left to play.

Can't remember the details of the rules, but there is a point in season when record is not expunged and all future games are awarded to opposition as 0-0 wins - ie 3 pts awarded but goal difference not changed!

This approach follows the rulings in the court litigation after Spennymoor United went out of business near the end of a season and expunging records had one effect on promotion and play offs and awarding wins to opposition had a very different effect

Whatever, its sad to see a professional football club in Nuneaton struggling again to exist

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 am

spen666 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Nuneaton are very close to admin now. Owner has just quit after three months in charge, players not being paid on time, £30,000 HMRC bill is due and they say they need ten investors to pledge £10,000 a season on a rolling basis, taking 10% of the shares each, and that will allow them to get them through to the end of the season. Us, Curzon Ashton and FCUM are the only clubs they have beaten this season (how the feck did we manage that?). There would be a lot of clubs losing points if they can't complete the season. I'm sure the league will want to avoid that if they can as they have just 13 games left to play.

Can't remember the details of the rules, but there is a point in season when record is not expunged and all future games are awarded to opposition as 0-0 wins - ie 3 pts awarded but goal difference not changed!

This approach follows the rulings in the court litigation after Spennymoor United went out of business near the end of a season and expunging records had one effect on promotion and play offs and awarding wins to opposition had a very different effect

Whatever, its sad to see a professional football club in Nuneaton struggling again to exist
Think its after march when clubs would be awarded a 3-0 win by default who had yet to play them. Seems a while since a club at that level went bust during season so not sure what happened last time
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 am

shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Think its after march when clubs would be awarded a 3-0 win by default who had yet to play them. Seems a while since a club at that level went bust during season so not sure what happened last time

In a discussion regarding another club on the late Tony Kempster's Website the following was stated
If they've played more than 75% of their fixtures (They need to fulfill another 4 games to meet that percentage) then i believe "The Spennymoor Rule" would apply, meaning that their record would be kept and any future opponents would be automatically awarded 3-0 victories

If not then their records will be expunged
http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum ... =ASC;mh=25;

I can't vouch this is correct, but it would seem to make sense ie 75%

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Expunged would suit us well. Anything to dull the memory of that dire mid-week game against Nuneaton.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

dsr wrote:Expunged would suit us well. Anything to dull the memory of that dire mid-week game against Nuneaton.

It was a saturday

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:50 pm

A game that will live in infamy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

From @nbfcupdates on Twitter, Saturday's game 'should' be fine, which is alarming to hear. If Saturday's game isn't confirmed on yet, they may not even get into March

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:It was a saturday
Of course. Perhaps my memory is fading, as well as (thankfully) my memory of the game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Quaker85 wrote:A game that will live in infamy Image

Infamy! Infamy? They've all got it in for me (another fine Carry On).

There is something basically wrong and rotten with football and as the old adage says, a fish rots from the head down. FA needs to make sure that grassroots clubs get more of a share of the money generated at the top level. Until this happens, more local clubs will cease to operate and future generations will lose opportunities and interest in the game. Very sad.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Non league football is a huge part of the culture of football in this country. It is relatively unique, and is part of our heritage. It should be protected.

Here's hoping Nuneaton pull through.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm

jjljks wrote:

There is something basically wrong and rotten with football and as the old adage says, a fish rots from the head down. FA needs to make sure that grassroots clubs get more of a share of the money generated at the top level. Until this happens, more local clubs will cease to operate and future generations will lose opportunities and interest in the game. Very sad.
It is sad when any club gets into difficulty, but if the FA were to pump more money downwards the same issues would still happen to the same clubs.

Every club needs trustworthy, capable people in charge to keep the financial side of things in check. We have learnt this the hard way, and in fact are still learning this the hard way.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:19 pm

The fa will probably get the blame but when folk are running these clubs into the deck what are they supposed to do, hoy money into a blackhole?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 pm

jjljks wrote:

This is not grass roots.