Darlington v Bradford (Park Avenue)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Bradford (Park Avenue)

Post by JE93 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am

Well it's that time of year again. Lots of hope and expectation. Many dreams of getting through a round or two. Picking up some prize money, maybe drawing a big team first round and getting on the telly. The words that seem to revolve around are 'surely it's our turn for a cup run'. As a reminder to those who don't know the prize money for getting through this round is a useful £9,000.

It will be tough. At the time of the draw, BPA were 3rd in the conference north table and considering we couldn't have drawn AFC Telford due to the regional allocation that means on paper this is the 4th hardest game we could have drawn (Chorley A/H and BPA A). Add to that a the fact BPA have a manager with a very good record at Conference North level in Mark Bower and have players like oli Johnson, Ben McKenna and Jake Beasley to give them a goal threat.

There are signs of life from us, two clean sheets on the bounce is a good starting point. That should hopefully start to grow the confidence of the back 4 that we can shut teams out and Johnny Maddison is looking at his best (although I'm sure he would prefer an afternoon not likened to the Alamo).

Going forwards I can't help but think the success of our afternoon may be based on the likes of Syers and Wheatley being fit. Both are key in solidifying the midfield when we're out of possession but also linking up with our forward players when we're back on the ball. Hopefully both are back fit.

Similarly, well be hoping Simon Ainge has over come his injury to give us even more depth in our striking options. It's never a bad option to have an Ariel presence on the bench.

While there is also a question at CB now Terry Galbraith is fit. Do we give him the chance to win a spot alongside the impressive Liam Hughes. Might be harsh on Burn who hasn't done too much wrong in his performances. Also by by calculations Jack Vaulks 28 days at Whitby are up and he should be able to return to us for tomorrow's squad.

For me, if all are fit I think our strongest team would look like:

--------------------------- Maddison ----------------------------

Trotman ----- Hughes ----- Galbraith ---- O'Hanlon

------------------- Wheatley --- Elliott ------------------------

Thompson ------------ Syers ---------------- Nicholson

----------------------------- Styche --------------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Burn, Henshall, Saunders, Ainge, Glover, Vaulks.

My opinion

Re: Darlington v Bradford (Park Avenue)

Post by My opinion » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:17 am

Agree with most of that but I would keep Burn as centre back alongside of Hughes. I know he wasn't at his best last Saturday, but still made a couple of very good blocks when Southport had shots at goal. Also, he is developing an understanding with Hughes while Galbraith has never yet played with Hughes at CB in competition.
It's interesting that you think Syers is a key to the way we play at the moment {and I totally agree with you}. Last season more than one poster on here did not see the value of him in the team. One of the first names on the team sheet IMO.
Looking forward to a performance similar to the AFC Telford game I hope, where our high energy midfield 5 were exceptional.
Onwards and upwards with the Quakers.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 am

I wonder if Syers struggles to play a full 90 minutes?

He's a good player, and can change a game from the bench - when he's fresh and the opposition are tired.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 am

Both Syers and Wheatley facing fitness tests if they are to play which is disappointing. If we lose both I'd be tempted to bump Galbraith into midfield next to Elliott. Give us a bit of strength a solidity in there, and move Nicholson across.

-------------------------- Maddison ----------------------------

Trotman ----- Hughes ----- Burn ---------- O'Hanlon 

------------------- Galbraith --- Elliott ------------------------

Thompson --------- Nicholson -------------- Henshall

----------------------------- Styche --------------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Yth, Yth, Saunders, Ainge, Glover, Vaulks.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:05 am

Knowing that Ainge was signed to play alongside Styche, if both are available I would think it more likely that today's team would line up as a 4-4-2. I agree that the spearhead formation suggested is the one which works best, but I feel that does require Syers behind the striker and if he isn't available then it would favour dropping back into TW's original team plan.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Starting 11:
Maddison,
Trotman, Hughes, Galbraith, O’Hanlon;
Henshall, Elliott, Thompson,
Nicholson,
Styche, Ainge,

Subs: Glover, A. Burn (GK), Syers, Lycett, Saunders, Alderson, Stansfield

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:34 pm

1-0 BPA goal from outside the box to the top corner.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:49 pm

How are we playing?!

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Very badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:How are we playing?!
Shite.. 1037 there and we just lumped it forward...Hopeless I'm affraid

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Sounded garbage on DFR. Unless we had major injuries he appears to have sacrificed a shape that’s been effective recently (4-5-1) to accommodate the big name front two...at the expense of attacking width. Oh well, ‘we can concentrate on the league’ now that one of the two much talked about pre-season objectives has not been met. The other one, of course, was the playoffs

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Not sure how many times i have to say this but we are a much better side with syers in the team rather than having ainge up front whos just not mobile enough

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Syers was my player of the season last year and would be one of the first names in our starting line-up this year.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

When styche and ainge are upfront we are slow and have only thompson trying to create something. Does the telford game not tell us anything that we need more energy upfront. Im not saying ainge is a bad player hes just a lump he does no off the ball running or anything

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:18 pm

I promised myself I'd say nothing. So I'm saying nothing.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Midfield very poor, am not a fan of Elliott and Nicholson and just what does Henshall do, never attacks and always playing fairly safe balls.Very lucky to be only 1 down at HT, much better 2nd half with Syers on but we couldn't hit a barn door.How did Harvey miss that header in the last minute?.Not a cat in hells chance of the playoffs with the squad Tommy has assembled sad to say.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:52 pm

1st half was Altrincham all over again, 2nd half was better but not good enough. What a fucking let down again. Styche....wtf?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Nicholson as a CM in a midfield 2? Never going to work. One of the worst tactical decisions I’ve ever seen. If Syers wasn’t fit to start then Glover and Nicholson in a midfield 3 had to be a better way to go, with 1 up front. Ainge and Styche up front with that midfield was always going to be a disaster. Those 2 up top will seemingly only work if Wheatley and Elliot are available

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Wonder if our manager still thinks the two we have up front will frighten this league to death.Totaly ineffective (again) today and unless he has a change of mind sharpish we will be in the s*** and he’ll be down the road.Having said that,those two aren’t the only thing wrong with this team.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

I wish it wasn't so but TW just continues to confirm my opinion, maybe others are starting to see this now? Recruitment, team selection, tactics, I'm sorry but he never has had them and isn't going to cut it at this level at least!

Although any team can lose a cup match, i believe we now have a general phycological weakness as a club when it comes to the FA Cup. This isn't entirely TW's fault but the repercussions of today's defeat are that he hasn't boosted anyone's confidence that he can turn around this season and we have again squandered the chance of FA Cup prize money and it's a double whammy because he has lost a significant chance of buying time. My patience is running out and I'd be loathed to boost the budget again if this is how the transfer funds are spent.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:14 pm

What happened with Styche at the end of the game? Heard that Tommo and Hughess pulled him away after an exchange with some Tin She’d fans.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Styche getting the blame this time eh, FFS it's not one man's fault...Who lost his man an never got anywhere near the lad who scored a worldly??? Surely not stycheeeeee's fault.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Mission Impossible wrote:What happened with Styche at the end of the game? Heard that Tommo and Hughess pulled him away after an exchange with some Tin She’d fans.
A fan were constantly giving him it... Styche knows who it were and gave him the stareImage

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Styche said on twitter that the fan called him a cunnt and told him to fuck off. We really do have some special fans don't we? Anyway, luckily it ended amicably with both shaking hands.

As for Tommy...Oh dear me. The pressure has just been cranked up one full notch.

Want him to do well, but losing faith...we needed this today.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm getting some bad, bad feelings about the way the club is heading and worry about the future in terms of leadership, organisation, decision making, tactics and recruitment and off the field issues.

Today's line-up and formation was unfathomable from the off. Granted Wheatley wasn't playing but we seemed to have a centre midfield mainly comprising Elliott on his own. He had Nicholson, who is not a centre midfielder, sometimes with him and the side featured five players who are either wingers or attackers along with two attacking full-backs. It looked like Elliott against the world in the middle. It was not surprising that Bradford completely bossed the first half. They were big, strong and very average and completely dominated. I don't think we had a really serious effort on goal in that first half other than a couple of easy collects by the keeper. The tactics, formation and set-up handed it to them. We were inept.

Second half it improved with the involvement of Syers but they fully deserved their win and overall we were very much second best. I also noticed the number of times shouting matches developed between AW and some of the players as the frustration of the players and management grows.

The scenes at the end with angry exchanges between Styche and fans unhappy with his wayward shooting when others may have been better placed for a pass also added an unsavoury note to the day. He was furious and TW and other players were trying to placate him but there could be some fall-out from this. The players looked a bedraggled, unhappy and frustrated group coming off at the end

The above added to the impression of a less than happy club and when you tie that in with the issues with Caton (out of favour and no use to the squad) and Collins (clearly some issues going on) it doesn't look good.

Now TW had a blank piece of paper this time around and we seem to have ended up with a completely unbalanced squad that is fairly lightweight in certain areas. It's not been helped by the fact that a midfielder he signed doesn't play there. To be fair to Hughes he has become our best central defender and should have got man of the match today.

The way the squad has been put together there is an immediate and deep crisis should Elliott or Wheatley be injured and we end up just being brushed aside as today. We looked completely out of kilter.

Tactics, personnel issues, formation, recruitment, off the field issues and all the rest are now coming into play and we are once again out of the cup with barely a whimper.

I can't see anything other than a season of struggle ahead, I'm afraid.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Just going to repeat myself unfortunately.

Poor signings have weakened the squad. Can you honestly say that even one of his summer recruits have been really good apart from in flashes.

Poor tactics. He is determined to shoe horn Ainge and Styche together yet most of our success has come with 1 up front. Ask yourself....how many out and out defenders were actually on the pitch today..........none would be my view.

Shocking home form. Nothing much to say on that, shocking and again apart from odd games has been awful to watch.

Poor use of loans. Actually NO use of loans even with one fit midfielder today and no centre half’s a few weeks ago.

Thing is, I actually like the guy and want him to succeed, but don’t have confidence he can.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Came away deflated after that game, which is not me. Not just as it was another defeat at home, and out of the cup again, but the big loss of money, (not sure the players realise how much the fans had to dig deep to pay their wages and will have to do it again next year unless we can raise cash by a cup run or get in the play off's and play consistent good football to increase crowds), but also the reaction of some of the crowd to individual players.

First half we were not at the races, with no midfield control and all four all over the place, basically because it was a two man midfield with Elliott and Nicholson (both who I think are good players but too much to do for just the two of them, this four has been tried before and did not work then). Bradford were comfortable on the ball, ran into space for the man with the ball, aware of where their players were, physically strong and fit. We played as individuals, all waiting for the man with the ball to do something, which ended up most of the time with the ball being lumped forward (MG style). Unfortunately their two centre halves where bigger and stronger than Syche and Ainge and they never got a look in on high balls. Our build up was slow or lumped forward.

Talking to a Bradford fan at half time he said that we can't have done our homework as they were very suspect against speedy forwards and Styche and Ainge will not get anywhere against their defence (which proved to be right, and could be seen all game).

Second half Syres came on and we were the better team imo, without actually Bradford looking uncomfortable. Syres almost scoring from his first touch, and the team creating a lot of chances in the second half, (without playing particularly good football), making their keeper, (somebody told me it was his first game), make a couple good saves, but the majority of our shooting was way off target.

Given how little opportunity Ainge was getting I was expecting that he may have been substituted for Saunders, but Nicholson was taken off (who I thought was playing ok and getting involved in attack).

Think today maybe put down to the management not getting it right, but could see why they tried the format, but it needed to be changed earlier than it was I think.

There is clearly a lot to do, as it does not seem like they are a team, but a group of individuals, (some tallented to be honest, but no one looked like they could make it into the professional world on todays showing). This may be impacted by the little time available to train together given the travelling that the team have to do, and also the swapping around of the players which we can't seem to have a settled team or formation for some reason.

Finally the abuse of Styche by some fans was over the top, (although to be honest he is not the player he was before his international call up, seeming slower and lost some of that drive which made him excitng to watch), that sort of abuse will affect players confidence and who knows may be the reason that his last two shots were way off target, so may be the fans fault who knows. I am not saying you cant question a player just not give that sort of abuse.

Tommy and Alan have a lot of work to do to rescue this season, but I fully believe they will.

"Up the Quakers"

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Well Tommy is showing me why he was 3rd choice last season. Let's remember that Alum Armstrong and Dave McGurk were ahead of him in the pickings but neither accepted the job. Still think Mark Bower would have been the perfect appointment. Seemingly doing very well with BPA on a budget I'd imagine is less than ours.

The fans supported Tommy in the summer with 80k of boost the budget. In my honest opinion I actually quite like the look of some of the signings. Tom Elliott is useful, I think Ainge (if used right) could be a good player, Hughes has morphed into an impressive CB and I think Johnny Maddison will be a good keeper for us. I do agree with the previous poster about a failure to use the loan market. But it doesn't matter who you sign if you can't set a team up you have no hope.

Tactically we fell into a winning formula last season having persevered too long with 3-5-2. This season we seemed to have done the same with 4-2-3-1 having persevered with 4-4-2 for too long. I mean just use some sense and set up solid. Yes he's had some bad luck with injuries but some of the decisions have been tactically baffling. Getting bored of looking at the team sheet before a game and being disappointed and wondering how we will win.

Our season expectations were to challenge for the play offs and to look for a cup run. And Tommy stated this is the budget he needed to do it. Well we're in 17th in the league and the FA cup has gone at the first round. Need improvement in both the League and the FA Trophy whenever that kicks off.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Just going to repeat myself unfortunately.

Poor signings have weakened the squad. Can you honestly say that even one of his summer recruits have been really good apart from in flashes.
Yep Elliott, he has been excellent, the only one who can tackle and go box to box when we are without Wheatley.

Probably wouldn't keep repeating yourself.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:48 pm

50 years wrote:Came away deflated after that game, which is not me. Not just as it was another defeat at home, and out of the cup again, but the big loss of money, (not sure the players realise how much the fans had to dig deep to pay their wages and will have to do it again next year unless we can raise cash by a cup run or get in the play off's and play consistent good football to increase crowds), but also the reaction of some of the crowd to individual players.

First half we were not at the races, with no midfield control and all four all over the place, basically because it was a two man midfield with Elliott and Nicholson (both who I think are good players but too much to do for just the two of them, this four has been tried before and did not work then). Bradford were comfortable on the ball, ran into space for the man with the ball, aware of where their players were, physically strong and fit. We played as individuals, all waiting for the man with the ball to do something, which ended up most of the time with the ball being lumped forward (MG style). Unfortunately their two centre halves where bigger and stronger than Syche and Ainge and they never got a look in on high balls. Our build up was slow or lumped forward.

Talking to a Bradford fan at half time he said that we can't have done our homework as they were very suspect against speedy forwards and Styche and Ainge will not get anywhere against their defence (which proved to be right, and could be seen all game).

Second half Syres came on and we were the better team imo, without actually Bradford looking uncomfortable. Syres almost scoring from his first touch, and the team creating a lot of chances in the second half, (without playing particularly good football), making their keeper, (somebody told me it was his first game), make a couple good saves, but the majority of our shooting was way off target.

Given how little opportunity Ainge was getting I was expecting that he may have been substituted for Saunders, but Nicholson was taken off (who I thought was playing ok and getting involved in attack).

Think today maybe put down to the management not getting it right, but could see why they tried the format, but it needed to be changed earlier than it was I think.

There is clearly a lot to do, as it does not seem like they are a team, but a group of individuals, (some tallented to be honest, but no one looked like they could make it into the professional world on todays showing). This may be impacted by the little time available to train together given the travelling that the team have to do, and also the swapping around of the players which we can't seem to have a settled team or formation for some reason.

Finally the abuse of Styche by some fans was over the top, (although to be honest he is not the player he was before his international call up, seeming slower and lost some of that drive which made him excitng to watch), that sort of abuse will affect players confidence and who knows may be the reason that his last two shots were way off target, so may be the fans fault who knows. I am not saying you cant question a player just not give that sort of abuse.

Tommy and Alan have a lot of work to do to rescue this season, but I fully believe they will.

"Up the Quakers"
Can't disagree with most of this. Thought that with Ainge available that we would have to get him in the team but he didn't look on his game and didn't win anything in the air in the first half. Like you I thought that it just wasn't happening for him and we would have been better off with Saunders on much earlier. The midfield weakness in the first half was not helped by having Henshall playing little or no part in the game, and his substitution for Syers was warranted much earlier in the game. As you say I find Nicholson to have been one of our better players since he arrived and would not have sacrificed him for the sake of keeping Ainge on the pitch in the hope that he might come good. And another note of praise for Liam Hughes who was great yet again, and with Maddison making some crucial saves kept us in the game.

As has been said above, we appear to be lost without Wheatley and if Hughes is going to be lost to midfield by being our go to defender we badly need a suitable replacement for Wheatley when he can't play.

And the scenes at the end where Styche was being singled out for abuse was not attractive to see and I can't quite see why some of the so called fans were getting such an apparent level of pleasure at acting so badly. On top of the massive disappointment of failing yet again to get into a cup run I do hope that we can keep from pointless in-fighting that can only make it harder to rescue something from the mess we appear to be in.