Styche and Ainge

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Styche and Ainge

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

It seems brutally obvious to me that we have to start with the 4-5-1 which served us well today and in the second half of last season. I know TW was keen on developing that partnership between Styche and Ainge, but for me the team just looks better playing 4-5-1 with Syers in behind.

And after today's performance, there's no way you can drop Hughes at CB.

You can possibly make an argument for Hughes and Ainge at CB, which would be tough on Jonny Burn. But after today, you stick with what's working so Burn and Hughes at CB next game.

I'm struggling to see how TW can do anything other than swap Saunders for Styche and put Ainge on the bench. To me, it seems foolish to do anything else.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo2807

Re: Styche and Ainge

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 pm

In all honesty, I’d stick with the XI we fielded today. Highly unfair on anyone who is dropped after today’s near perfect performance, and I’d assume that Ainge, Styche and Tez will accept that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:21 pm

As good as Saunders was, I just don't see how you can leave out Styche - our top scorer and best player. It'd be daft to leave him out.

It'd be tough on Saunders of course but Styche is the better finisher and better player. And Styche played in the same system to great effect for the team in the second half of last season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:59 am

I'd keep the same side apart from swapping Saunders for Styche. If players are out, they can't expect to walk back into the team, especially after yesterday's performance.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd keep the same side apart from swapping Saunders for Styche. If players are out, they can't expect to walk back into the team, especially after yesterday's performance.
"can't expect to walk back into the team"............…..like you are suggesting Styche does Pete? Difficult (but nice decision) for TW to make but don't tinker with something that works. Saunders seems to be playing his best football ever could knock him back if dropped after a performance like that, and the same goes for rest of the team. Leave well alone TW!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am

Darlogramps wrote:Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

It seems brutally obvious to me that we have to start with the 4-5-1 which served us well today and in the second half of last season. I know TW was keen on developing that partnership between Styche and Ainge, but for me the team just looks better playing 4-5-1 with Syers in behind.

You can possibly make an argument for Hughes and Ainge at CB, which would be tough on Jonny Burn. But after today, you stick with what's working so Burn and Hughes at CB next game.

I'm struggling to see how TW can do anything other than swap Saunders for Styche and put Ainge on the bench. To me, it seems foolish to do anything else.
Quite agree with that, but I think TW is a stubborn guy who may well try to play Ainge and Styche up front again.
It seems we find the best system 4-5-1 by default and not design when players are unavailable or injured. Playing Hughes at CB seems to have been a great success again by default. He obviously struggled in a midfield role and but for injuries would still be playing there or on the bench.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 am

The saying is don't change a winning team, so for me same team as Saturday for next game, stych, ainge on the bench, yesterday's team reward for the hard work, this team have set a standard which we should now aim to keep and better as the season moves on. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc, again I say well done to all of the team.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am

banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Working on the assumption Styche and Ainge are both available for the Southport game, what should TW do with them both?

Quite agree with that, but I think TW is a stubborn guy who may well try to play Ainge and Styche up front again.
It seems we find the best system 4-5-1 by default and not design when players are unavailable or injured. Playing Hughes at CB seems to have been a great success again by default. He obviously struggled in a midfield role and but for injuries would still be playing there or on the bench.
4-5-1 is definitely our strongest formation in every area. Syers and Hughes should be undroppable after their performances.

Tough for Tommy, but I’d retain an unchanged eleven.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:38 am

Same XI, but Styche in for Saunders.

Tough on Saunders, but hey ho.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am

Another one in the replace Saunders with Styche camp.

4-5-1 does work best for us because Syers is so good in that role that he plays - think MBW a few years back. It also works because Styche revels in being the spearhead of the attack.

I'm a big fan of Ainge already because I can see he's got so much more to come - I just can't believe how good he is in the air. But yeah, he may have to bide his time.

Tommy may well go 4-4-2 though because we signed Ainge for that reason. Dropping Syers would be incredibly harsh.

As others have said, it's a good problem to have.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 pm

tezza wrote:Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.
The same Harvey Saunders who’s scored 2 in 3... He’s not as bad as people make out ffs.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 pm

AndyPark wrote:
tezza wrote:Saunders ahead of Styche ......... Seriously: What have some of you been smoking. Not even when "Young Harvey" gets his first pair of long trousers.
The same Harvey Saunders who’s scored 2 in 3... He’s not as bad as people make out ffs.
I don't think anyone is making out he is bad. Quite the opposite.
But if you have to choose between Styche or Saunders then it has to be Styche.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:23 pm

I think that TW had in mind playing 3-5-2 when he brought Ainge in, as both Trotman and O’Hanlon are excellent going forward as wing backs but maybe not as solid defensively at times. Clearly, it never seems to work and leaves a doubt over where thommo plays.

Difficult one, because we absolutely tore Blyth apart with 4-4-2, probably the best we have seen for a few years. However 4-2-3-1 seems to work and always looks better when Syers is that role behind, meaning it’s Ainge or Styche with probably Styche winning.

Anyone who thinks Saunders should play instead of Styche has lost the plot!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Styche obviously has to come back in but i was impressed with Saunders yesterday. Easily his best game in a Darlo shirt and on another day could have had 2 or possibly even 3. You can see the work that Tommy & Alan have been putting into him and for the first time yesterday I thought he might actually develop into a decent player

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:In all honesty, I’d stick with the XI we fielded today. Highly unfair on anyone who is dropped after today’s near perfect performance, and I’d assume that Ainge, Styche and Tez will accept that.
Ainge and "Tez" might accept that, and I would put them on the bench for Saturday, but Styche? He's been away on international duty, he's our captain, and on his day our best player - so he'll be expecting to come straight back in. Saunders had a good game and well done to him but he surely knows he won't replace Styche unless Styche is unavailable for some reason.

I thought that Syers had a great game yesterday and made the team look more inventive, it would be a shame to drop him back to the bench.

As for Ainge, what a great player to have as a sub, as he's effective in two positions.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Saunders is work in progress and isn't ready to lead the line every week. If we go to Southport and expect the same results with him then chances are we would end up disappointed. Its not fair to Saunders to keep him in when the likes of Styche is available, the pressure on him is big enough without having Styche breathing down his neck from the sidelines.
Styche is proven at this level and if he's available he plays IMO.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Really feels harsh but you have to play Styche and the obvious player to drop out is Saunders, I don't think dropping Syers to go 442 at this stage is the way forward. I guess it shows how well the team and Saunders played yesterday for some to contemplate not changing the team.

Going back to playing 442 is possible when Wheatley & Elliott are available as they both can defend & attack but mainly give the other forward players and full backs licence to attack. They are the most dynamic midfield pairing we have had for some time, I don't actually think we could play 442 without those two in the team.

We have discussed it before and for me I think Wright has signed some decent players but they have/will take time to bed in, a bit unlucky with injuries/suspensions & he has seemed to struggle to use them all correctly.

Hope we go on a bit of a decent run now be good to get back to having some positivity around.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Just to derail this thread slightly I noticed yesterday that all 4 clubs promoted out of our league since we've been in it are now top 7 in the Conference.

Harrogate/Salford/Fylde and Halifax.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Styche has said on Twitter that he wouldn't drop any of the team, that you don't change a winning team.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm

shawry wrote:Styche has said on Twitter that he wouldn't drop any of the team, that you don't change a winning team.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Wouldn't expect him to say anything else, Wright will have to decide if he wants to stick with Harvey as his main attacking outlet or bring in either Styche or Ainge. Southport are third bottom and a win will be what most hope for so Wright will have some pressure to go for it.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Just to derail this thread slightly I noticed yesterday that all 4 clubs promoted out of our league since we've been in it are now top 7 in the Conference.

Harrogate/Salford/Fylde and Halifax.
All full time with money, that makes a big difference

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:27 pm

There’s only one decision to be made so far as I can see and that’s Styche or Saunders. I like a Styche a lot and he’ll probably get the nod but I don’t think it’s as straightforward as most on here seem to reckon.

Styche gives you guile and cunning, Saunders gives you pace and mobility. Aside from two worldy saves from headers in the games against Altrincham and Telford it would be an even closer call.

I am finding it hard to figure out how to crowbar more than one of Styche, Ainge, and Saunders in to the eleven though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm

loan_star wrote:Saunders is work in progress and isn't ready to lead the line every week. If we go to Southport and expect the same results with him then chances are we would end up disappointed. Its not fair to Saunders to keep him in when the likes of Styche is available, the pressure on him is big enough without having Styche breathing down his neck from the sidelines.
Styche is proven at this level and if he's available he plays IMO.
So when will Harvey be ready? He's not a kid anymore. He won't get better without games, and after a good performance like yesterday's, won't his confidence be sky high for next week? Like Styche himself, I say leave the team alone.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm

As was usually said in the management training videos - "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions".

Why is having more than one way of setting up to play the game proving to be seen as a problem? Surely having the possibility of having a plan B is a positive. How often has it been considered that if you have a single style of play that you might eventually get "found out". I like the formation that we played on Saturday and for the latter part of last season, but to have 4-4-2 alternative, if the situation demands it, is surely a good thing. And having at least one additional potent force up front, to cover for absences is something that was regularly raised last season when we appeared to rely too much on Styche to give our attack a focal point.

As for who gets the nod at Southport, I'm happy to let the manager judge it when he knows who he has available. We don't know yet if Ainge will be recovered by next week, so two up front may not be on anyway.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 am

AndyPark wrote:
Whoop, whoop, two in three. Not exactly a broad sample there Andy.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am

Maybe having very experienced strikers around him is helping develop Harvey's game? He's certainly hitting the target and his confidence must be sky high. I'm really pleased for him, always gives 100% and at least he's not stuck on the bench like Vaulks.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 am

Saw Saunders goal at Ashton Utd, which was just a tap in, all be it under pressure from a couple of Sutton Utd players. I have been fairly critical of Saunders for a while now, but I have to admit he has improved considerably at the start of this season. But Styche is more of a natural finisher and so should get the nod ahead of Saunders.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Saw Saunders goal at Ashton Utd, which was just a tap in, all be it under pressure from a couple of Sutton Utd players. I have been fairly critical of Saunders for a while now, but I have to admit he has improved considerably at the start of this season. But Styche is more of a natural finisher and so should get the nod ahead of Saunders.
Ashton or Sutton Pete??Image

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am

Not sure how bad the jet lag is from Lichtenstein, but Gib (& Styche) failed to score whilst the squad players took their chances & makes it a tough decision for TW as who to leave out. One solution is try to play 4-5-2 then hope the ref doesn't spot the extra man. Given the standard of refs we have seen in this league, reckon 50/50 we could get away with it ;)
Seriously we could be resting players who are not 100% fit, for example Tez. Most of the lads hearts are in the right place and would play even if not 100% fit, but this may cause them problems in long term so let's not risk damage.