TW tactics......again!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakers83
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: TW tactics......again!

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

I think Gramps’ assessment is a fair one, as Henshall is yet to demonstrate he is better than Gillies albeit with limited appearances, but he may still well be given time.

Personally I think we could do with an Alan White style centre-half next to Galbraith.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

Yep I didn't have much confidence when he was first appointed and yes he did strike lucky at Leamington starting a run which earnt him the opportunity to have the summer to revamp the squad.

My opinion hasn't changed, we have started poorly. Granted injuries haven't helped but this is the risk taken to cut our cloth accordingly with a small squad. He might get lucky and turn it around but I just don't believe he has managerial ability, his achievements with previous clubs were at best average and if it wasn't for a Darlo link he wouldn't of been considered.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:32 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:Yep I didn't have much confidence when he was first appointed and yes he did strike lucky at Leamington starting a run which earnt him the opportunity to have the summer to revamp the squad.

My opinion hasn't changed, we have started poorly. Granted injuries haven't helped but this is the risk taken to cut our cloth accordingly with a small squad. He might get lucky and turn it around but I just don't believe he has managerial ability, his achievements with previous clubs were at best average and if it wasn't for a Darlo link he wouldn't of been considered.
Well on Monday you posted saying the jury is out on TW’s capabilities, now you’re saying he is tactically naive and inept.

You also mentioned Leamington as luck, but you based this on playing a system with the players TW had available. Now you’re saying that if he turns it around, again, then it’ll just be luck striking twice, even though these are his players.

As for previous capabilities, I think it’s actually overlooked that he won the Southern Premier League with Corby to be honest. He is a young manager who is learning, and he has massively steadied the ship.

I understand that we’re not doing well at the moment, and TW will always have his critics but he really can’t win with you and that post has just proved it.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:Yep I didn't have much confidence when he was first appointed and yes he did strike lucky at Leamington starting a run which earnt him the opportunity to have the summer to revamp the squad.

It's clear to me that your opinion of TW is set in stone. You don't rate him, and even if he does good things going forward it will only be due to luck and nothing else.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I love on here how people miss Browny and Gillies BUT how many times was it said last season they weren't good enough, God I despair sometimes... We had 6 players out today but that were always gonna happen I'm afraid it's where we are we can't just go out and get players.. Isn't he working within a budget everyone (or most people) called for.. Let's stop pissing pants support the team and the results will come...
The only person pissing their pants is you with your ludicrous exaggerations. No one is panicking or not supporting the team, but raising questions about how TW is running it.

The point people are making is Burn and Henshall are yet to demonstrate they're any better than two people they replaced. Yes Brown and Gillies had may be reached their ceiling and no one is pining for their return, but Burn and Henshall are yet to show they're any better.
How many games has Henshall played Gramps??
That's literally my point. People have said earlier in this thread Henshall was better than Gillies. It's too soon to say that. Gillies had a few seasons, Henshall had had a few games. No one on the current evidence can say Henshall is better than Gillies.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I love on here how people miss Browny and Gillies BUT how many times was it said last season they weren't good enough, God I despair sometimes... We had 6 players out today but that were always gonna happen I'm afraid it's where we are we can't just go out and get players.. Isn't he working within a budget everyone (or most people) called for.. Let's stop pissing pants support the team and the results will come...
The only person pissing their pants is you with your ludicrous exaggerations. No one is panicking or not supporting the team, but raising questions about how TW is running it.

The point people are making is Burn and Henshall are yet to demonstrate they're any better than two people they replaced. Yes Brown and Gillies had may be reached their ceiling and no one is pining for their return, but Burn and Henshall are yet to show they're any better.
How many games has Henshall played Gramps??
That's literally my point. People have said earlier in this thread Henshall was better than Gillies. It's too soon to say that. Gillies had a few seasons, Henshall had had a few games. No one on the current evidence can say Henshall is better than Gillies.
That is a fair point, and an erroneous one made by me earlier in the thread.

My underlying point was it isn’t fair to say this is the players fault or simply an issue of poor recruitment.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 am

Quakerz wrote:

It's clear to me that your opinion of TW is set in stone. You don't rate him, and even if he does good things going forward it will only be due to luck and nothing else.
Whereas for the pro-TW brigade, there'll always be an excuse.

Martin Gray, injuries, budget cut, referees, cheating opposition, negative home fans, or Martin Gray again. There always seems to be an excuse.

David Johnston has suggested the budget and squad TW has should be capable of challenging for the play-offs. At some point, if this carries on, people should start asking why this challenge isn't happening.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:32 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Whereas for the pro-TW brigade, there'll always be an excuse.

Martin Gray, injuries, budget cut, referees, cheating opposition, negative home fans, or Martin Gray again. There always seems to be an excuse.

David Johnston has suggested the budget and squad TW has should be capable of challenging for the play-offs. At some point, if this carries on, people should start asking why this challenge isn't happening.
You could say I'm part of the pro TW brigade right now, but at the end of the day if things don't improve during the season then I will ask questions like anyone else, and the excuse well will run dry.

Can't speak for any other individual in this so called brigade though.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:45 am

Another couple of issues regarding TW's tactics. Hughes is clearly a ball player and the most capable of picking out a pass, so why isn't he taking set pieces? Is it because of his height that he is sent into the box? Tommo's set pieces yesterday were appalling. I notice Hughes wanted to take the free-kick we were awarded on the edge of the Box but Styche took it off him. Which brings me to my second point. Styche is the captain, but he is not a team player, he is an individual who plays his own game who in many cases would rather beat a man and shoot from any angle than pass. I know he is our best player but he has never been captain material.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Another couple of issues regarding TW's tactics. Hughes is clearly a ball player and the most capable of picking out a pass, so why isn't he taking set pieces? Is it because of his height that he is sent into the box? Tommo's set pieces yesterday were appalling. I notice Hughes wanted to take the free-kick we were awarded on the edge of the Box but Styche took it off him. Which brings me to my second point. Styche is the captain, but he is not a team player, he is an individual who plays his own game who in many cases would rather beat a man and shoot from any angle than pass. I know he is our best player but he has never been captain material.
Good point, there's not many left now who would make a good captain - it would be controversial (to Styche!) but Ainge could be good. He's experienced, vocal and less of a maverick. Let's see who leads us out next Saturday - but I'd go with Ainge.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Another couple of issues regarding TW's tactics. Hughes is clearly a ball player and the most capable of picking out a pass, so why isn't he taking set pieces? Is it because of his height that he is sent into the box? Tommo's set pieces yesterday were appalling. I notice Hughes wanted to take the free-kick we were awarded on the edge of the Box but Styche took it off him. Which brings me to my second point. Styche is the captain, but he is not a team player, he is an individual who plays his own game who in many cases would rather beat a man and shoot from any angle than pass. I know he is our best player but he has never been captain material.
A good observation and something discussed at the ground yesterday.

My group of fans suggested Galbraith as a potential captain hoping this would trigger more organisation at the back as Styche is more of a talisman type and not a leader as such.

We earn of a lot of set piece opportunities and I’m sure it will be addressed in training especially as Tommy referenced it in his post match interview. Annoyingly, our better set piece takers are also our better players in the air.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:00 pm

The role of captain is overrated, they’re there to do more off the pitch than on the pitch. On the pitch you should have several leaders - the armband means nothing, it’s not like cricket where the captain is making decisions on field placing and who is bowling. For instance Turnbull always organised and cajoled even when he didn’t have the armband.

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:34 pm

At least we have some tactics ! previous management way of doing things was to hooth the ball up as quickly as you could, to the forwards, poor Thommo used to have a permanent bad neck !!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:No I haven't. However, you would think that there would be a pecking order to his selection of youth players rather than just plucking anyone to place on the bench. Glover for example has come on a few times and I think started a couple of matches last season, he has been held in high regard by TW which is why he signed him.

What is infuriating me is the fact that TW knew the risks involved in having a small squad and now when we have a scenario where senior players are missing he is not prepared to risk youth players. So what are we going to do wait until they're 20-21 before giving them a chance?

This point has also been slapped down by people close to the club who don't want to admit it's a problem when it clearly is.

And another thing, "you won't win anything with kids".... I seem to remember someone say and look how that went, just saying! :wave:
And what is infuriating me is that some people can’t grasp that we work on a tight-budget, and realistically managing a larger squad would be very difficult, not only in terms of finances but selection. It’s also pretty obvious that those 3 YT players on the bench yesterday (although highly thought of) aren’t ready for first-team football or that sort of game yesterday (they were all 16, so your comment about waiting until they’re 20-21 is ludicrous!)

I don’t think for one minute TW picked those players aimlessly either, and for all you critize TW for not using them - personnel didn’t lose us the game yesterday!

The bottom line is the opening of the season is often the busiest and most hectic, this has coincided with injuries to O’Hanlon, Galbraith, Collins plus Henshall, and the suspension to Wheatley. Vaulks went out on-loan for his own development at the precise moment we had three fit centre-halves in Galbraith, Burn and Collins - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

TW also mentioned that he didn’t want to bring in a loan player for the sake of one game yesterday - this is probably because O’Hanlon, Wheatley, Henshall and potentially one of Galbraith/Collins will return for Saturday. All of a sudden the squad doesn’t look as small.

Your constant digs for TW not throwing a youth player into the baptism of fire is just knit-picking. Fair enough tactics, hitting the wide diagonals etc but I for one don’t begrudge TW for not making any subs.
THIS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 pm

divas wrote:For instance Turnbull always organised and cajoled even when he didn’t have the armband.
Yeah but he didn't score 20 goals a season though did he?

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:40 am

QuakerPete wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:No I haven't. However, you would think that there would be a pecking order to his selection of youth players rather than just plucking anyone to place on the bench. Glover for example has come on a few times and I think started a couple of matches last season, he has been held in high regard by TW which is why he signed him.

What is infuriating me is the fact that TW knew the risks involved in having a small squad and now when we have a scenario where senior players are missing he is not prepared to risk youth players. So what are we going to do wait until they're 20-21 before giving them a chance?

This point has also been slapped down by people close to the club who don't want to admit it's a problem when it clearly is.

And another thing, "you won't win anything with kids".... I seem to remember someone say and look how that went, just saying! :wave:
And what is infuriating me is that some people can’t grasp that we work on a tight-budget, and realistically managing a larger squad would be very difficult, not only in terms of finances but selection. It’s also pretty obvious that those 3 YT players on the bench yesterday (although highly thought of) aren’t ready for first-team football or that sort of game yesterday (they were all 16, so your comment about waiting until they’re 20-21 is ludicrous!)

I don’t think for one minute TW picked those players aimlessly either, and for all you critize TW for not using them - personnel didn’t lose us the game yesterday!

The bottom line is the opening of the season is often the busiest and most hectic, this has coincided with injuries to O’Hanlon, Galbraith, Collins plus Henshall, and the suspension to Wheatley. Vaulks went out on-loan for his own development at the precise moment we had three fit centre-halves in Galbraith, Burn and Collins - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

TW also mentioned that he didn’t want to bring in a loan player for the sake of one game yesterday - this is probably because O’Hanlon, Wheatley, Henshall and potentially one of Galbraith/Collins will return for Saturday. All of a sudden the squad doesn’t look as small.

Your constant digs for TW not throwing a youth player into the baptism of fire is just knit-picking. Fair enough tactics, hitting the wide diagonals etc but I for one don’t begrudge TW for not making any subs.
THIS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spot on!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm

divas wrote:The role of captain is overrated, they’re there to do more off the pitch than on the pitch. On the pitch you should have several leaders - the armband means nothing, it’s not like cricket where the captain is making decisions on field placing and who is bowling. For instance Turnbull always organised and cajoled even when he didn’t have the armband.
“You are just your teams designated tosser (coin)”

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 pm

When the squad is down to the bare bones, what do you expect? I don't believe TW is under any threat.