Ashton United on Monday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ashton United on Monday

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Ron, at least you're not here.
Take it you and Nick are there Adam, could Maddison have saved any of the goals...both seemed a fair way out?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 pm

It's Hughes fault this one.. Or and Maddison 's as usual

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:It's Hughes fault this one.. Or and Maddison 's as usual

For your info Harry even Craig Stoddart seemed to think Maddison may have been caught off his line.And who is blaming Hughes?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm

2-1, Thommo penalty. Come on...

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

It's OK but your heart is in your mouth every time they attack.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Why is Vaulks not even on the bench, surely we have the right to recall him on an emergency
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:30 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Why is Vaulks not even on the bench, surely we have the right to recall him on an emergency
Apparently on the bench today for Whitby, so not even getting the benefit of a run out. We need him more than Whitby evidently!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Eyup, 2-2, saunders

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, well. 2-2 a Thommo pen and Harvey. Park the bus and make do with a point?
Last edited by biccynana on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

I don't think we're capable of sitting back and seeing the game out.

We're better attacking and going for the winner.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Quakerz wrote:I don't think we're capable of sitting back and seeing the game out.

We're better attacking and going for the winner.
Agreed. We tried that against Spenny and it had the opposite effect.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Thank God we managed to grab a point because Alfreton will be a different proposition on Saturday.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Very good point and great character.Hopefully could be a turning point,well done lads.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Positives - fought-back, a point is a good one after being 2 down in 30 minutes.

Negatives - The defence needs sorting, 17 goals conceded in 7 which is the joint-worst in the league. Vaulks was on the bench today for Whitby so probably worth trying to get him back if possible. TW seems adamant on going 4-4-2 so you’d rather free-up Ainge.

We’ve conceded 2+ goals in every away game, we don’t look like keeping a clean sheet. Alfreton next on Saturday and I think that’ll be a tough ask.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm

TW still needs to show he can make us hard to score against and hard to beat. Even today, good point though it was, it frequently sounded a bit too end to end and open. Most teams find it fairly effortless to score against us whether it's a Kidderminster or an Ashton although to be fair we are a bit short on numbers. Huge gaps do seem go appear in our defence frequently and we also seem to stand off attacking players all too often and don't do the basics like stopping the cross or closing down quickly. The space in and around the box is alarming at times. I'm at a loss to know why that is and, more worrying, TW seems to be.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:It's Hughes fault this one.. Or and Maddison 's as usual

For your info Harry even Craig Stoddart seemed to think Maddison may have been caught off his line.And who is blaming Hughes?

If you read other threads you would know what I mean... He has been made a scape goat because of the so called extra weight he seems to people be carrying.. As for Maddison he seems to be called every week for the goals conceded not the defence in front of him, it's so easy to pick on the keeper..

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm

I think going forward it's difficult seeing that there will be a place in the side for Hughes with Elliott, Wheatley and Syers all being preferred and from what I've seen so far that's the way it should be. I thought before the season started that Hughes would be a permanent midfield fixture but it's clear now that won't be the case.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:TW still needs to show he can make us hard to score against and hard to beat. Even today, good point though it was, it frequently sounded a bit too end to end and open. Most teams find it fairly effortless to score against us whether it's a Kidderminster or an Ashton although to be fair we are a bit short on numbers. Huge gaps do seem go appear in our defence frequently and we also seem to stand off attacking players all too often and don't do the basics like stopping the cross or closing down quickly. The space in and around the box is alarming at times. I'm at a loss to know why that is and, more worrying, TW seems to be.
Exactly.

We’ve proved we can score goals. Despite Saturday, only 6 teams in the league have scored more than us.

Do we really need to go so gung-ho, even today’s line-up was more attacking than I expected.

Put it this way, if someone told you at the start of the season that we were going to score 4 against Brackley, 2 against Kidderminster, 2 against Spennymoor and 2 against Ashton in our first 4 away games then I’d be thinking something along the lines of 3-1-0, not 1-2-1. As it happened the single goals against Curzon Ashton and Blyth at home weren’t enough either.

Even against Brackley had our forwards not been ridiculously clinical in a 15 minute spell then could we have been looking at another 2-2.

I appreciate that tactics go out of the window when players don’t do the basics, but we don't seem to be able to defend crosses, and on the flip side the opposition are getting a lot of joy through the middle.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Result today, although always good to comeback from 2-0, just papers over the cracks. Nothing has changed my opinion the jury is still out on TW's capabilities.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Opponents are getting a terrifying amount of space from set pieces as well. Whose fault is that?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:54 pm

On a side note, I know it's only 7 games in but Chorley are 15pts clear of us at the top and 6pts ahead of 2nd. At the moment positively romping away and shows how far away we are in relative terms!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Well that was a much better performance than Saturday. Clearly some enforced changes with Glabraith out through injury and Collins seemingly out of the picture.

Ashton scored two cracking goals early on - not much the defence could have done about either of them (those that criticised the defence for conceding earlier in this thread were clearly not at the match). However, it was the response from Darlo that was really heartening. Their heads didn't go down and they fought and battled back into the game with some good football - all that was lacking on Saturday.

We were unlucky not to have got back into the game earlier with the referee turning down two (or three!) good claims for penalties. However we did get the penalty when Styche was bundled over and thumped away by Thommo to pull us back and then Saunders in the right place to put home after the Ashton goalkeeper failed to clear.

We were perhaps a bit fortunate not to conceed another goal when Ashton hit the bar and the ball bounced off the line, but we could also have snatched a winner in the closing stages.

All in all a good performance - some of the gloom has lifted.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Feethams lad, good summary of the game. I thoroughly enjoyed my day out and thankfully no booing!

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Feethams lad, good summary of the game. I thoroughly enjoyed my day out and thankfully no booing!
Tbh I didn't expect any, the booing was for lack of apparent effort/giving a fuck, today was a completely different feel, even at 2 down.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Ashton scored two corker goals, which no keeper would have stopped (may have been stopped if closed down quicker by the defenders but not when shot was on its way). Don't think any of the players had a bad game individually and kept on till the end. Nicholson ran his socks off and looked dangerous having two good shots early on that went just wide. Syres made a difference being solid and winning balls in the air in midfield along with Elliott covering a lot of ground. Ainge made the defence look stronger.

Overall a bad start going two goals down but neither though defensive errors imo so good fightback and felt we finished the stronger. Both teams had chances to score more goals. Thought the fans were very supportive from the terraces.

The only issue imo was that we looked disjointed with little movement off the ball and wasted passes but made up for that with effort and fight, (Ashton played short passing game with movement and wasted few passes), - so easy to make improvements you would think.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Got to be happy with a point and looks like the ref turned down 2 good pen claims from us and one from them.Tough game coming up with Alfreton and the aerial threat from Denton but fingers crossed we have Galbraith back.Looks like Syers made a big difference today and hopefully will start.We just need to stop conceding 2 goals every game.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:55 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Got to be happy with a point and looks like the ref turned down 2 good pen claims from us and one from them.Tough game coming up with Alfreton and the aerial threat from Denton but fingers crossed we have Galbraith back.Looks like Syers made a big difference today and hopefully will start.We just need to stop conceding 2 goals every game.

Ron we feared the worst first half esp having at least one stonewall penalty turned down. Fair play to the lads they plugged away. Our penalty was the softest of the 3 claims we had and I was cross when Styche elected to shoot from the edge of the area...although I soon ate my words when Harvey bundled in after the keeper spilled it. Was disappointed we couldn’t wrap up 3 points but fair enough they missed an open goal and hit the bar.
Thought Burn looked better (maybe Ainge’s influence?). Ainge was rock solid but is he wasted at CB? Still a bit exposed at RB/LB? Midfield 5 were effective but Thommo cut in more to central positions. Syers was ok but my worry is how do squad players get match fit with no reserve team to play for?
5 in midfield also left Styche on his own. Would we be better to Re-pair him with Ainge at the expense of one midfielder? Nicholson and Elliott were very impressive IMO

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 pm

For the good of the team I’d keep Ainge at the back. At least for the time being. He bossed that second half. And yes we got ripped to pieces. But the issue isn’t the centre halves Trotman is not, nor ever will be a right back in my eyes. Great going forward. And has a relationship with Thommo. But he leaves us so exposed. O’Hanlon is better. But need thee press the opposition. I’d be tempted to shift Tez back there in the short term (when he’s fit).

Then Syers, Wheatley and Elliot in the middle. The results without Wheatley in the team tell a story. With Thommo and Henshall wide. But that’s a tad unfair on Nicholson, who today had his best game by a distance. Styche up front.

Fair play to Harvey. He was brave for his goal. But we need more than pace in a player at present.

Maddison needs protecting. He’s young. And exposed at present. He is making poor decisions. But He’s got some ability. The concern is that we repeat what happened with Jameson.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:14 am

Ok how about Tez at LB and O’Hanlon at LW until Henshall is fit again, keeping Ainge at CB in the short term as you say. I’d still recall Vaulks asap...he’s never let us down and it’s a waste of everybody’s time having him warming the bench at Whitby

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Ok how about Tez at LB and O’Hanlon at LW until Henshall is fit again, keeping Ainge at CB in the short term as you say. I’d still recall Vaulks asap...he’s never let us down and it’s a waste of everybody’s time having him warming the bench at Whitby
Sound idea, although does depend on a quick return by Tez from injury. O'Hanlon could be the kind of ball winner we need in midfield. Wonder if Whitby would swap Collins for Vaulks? ;)