Martin Gray sacked by York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Gray sacked by York

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Would be weird to see Gray turn up at a financially stable club that doesn't rely on the money of one wealthy backer though.....
Darlogramps wrote:Big Bri of course is a former Spennymoor assistant as well. Left them to join us.

Could definitely see the dream team pairing up at Brewery Field if Jason Aimless can't pick up results.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:56 pm

banktopp wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I'm not suggesting this would or should ever happen but the thought occurred to me today that now Gray's been neutralised, there's nothing to stop Gregan or Big Bri coming back in some capacity.
Comfortably_numb wrote:which is why I think he'll struggle to get another manager's job. should any club want to take a punt on him,
I really can see Gray turning up at Spennymoor if they ever feel the need for a change. I mean the job's ideal for him - he only lives round the corner :D
Gregan would be good, to replace our current defensive coach Titus Bramble.
Did not realise we had a defensive coach, thought White could have done that.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Quakerz wrote:I agree. Gramps has got this entire thread bang on. Apart from the not laughing at Gray bit.

Too many people buried their head in the sand regarding the sustainability of the budget and were brainwashed by reports that Gray had never gone over his budget. That may be so, but if your budget keeps getting increased every time you pipe up about your lack of spending power, then you're not going to go over it.

Christ we nearly folded about 3 times due to not having enough funds and everybody was too blind to see why - it was always bad luck, or postponements, or legacy debt, or whatever - us fans always had an excuse to justify yet another mid season embarrassing cash call. But nobody saw the elephant in the room until the past season - and even then, only a few did.

The ex manger and a great proportion of the fanbase were too wrapped up in getting back up the leagues as soon as possible, and fuck the cost, it'll come from somewhere, right?

I could never understand why there was so much of a hurry myself. If it took 10 years to get to the conference (and it still might, judging by the strength of the current league) and it was done without any more drama and within a reasonable budget which allowed us to also develop infrastructure, then I would have taken that right from day one.

We must never allow a manager to be so influential as Gray, ever again - it is OUR club and the manager is there to manage the team and do as he's told, we are after all his employer. If the manager isn't happy with his working conditions or budget, then he can look for another job - something which Gray thankfully did in the end.
This post should be framed and hung over the turnstiles

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 pm

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018082 ... 49a973.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018082 ... 3b6fc5.jpg[/img]
I love Google God it's up to date..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I have worked as a Financial Controller for the last 20 years, and have worked for various 'mavericks' over that time.

It takes a strong character to say no to someone like Gray, they don't care how the numbers stack up and when people get paid, and when you can't pay people it is the Financial Controller that gets the blame, like its their fault.

Over the last few years I am not sure who has been responsible for the cash flow and budget process at DFC. It looks as though things have been rained in and we are living within our means now.

I politely offered my services a few years ago but was politely declined, but it looks as though the person who was responsible for the budget in the Martin Gray years had a difficult job balancing the books.

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
Quakerz wrote:I agree. Gramps has got this entire thread bang on. Apart from the not laughing at Gray bit.

Too many people buried their head in the sand regarding the sustainability of the budget and were brainwashed by reports that Gray had never gone over his budget. That may be so, but if your budget keeps getting increased every time you pipe up about your lack of spending power, then you're not going to go over it.

Christ we nearly folded about 3 times due to not having enough funds and everybody was too blind to see why - it was always bad luck, or postponements, or legacy debt, or whatever - us fans always had an excuse to justify yet another mid season embarrassing cash call. But nobody saw the elephant in the room until the past season - and even then, only a few did.

The ex manger and a great proportion of the fanbase were too wrapped up in getting back up the leagues as soon as possible, and fuck the cost, it'll come from somewhere, right?

I could never understand why there was so much of a hurry myself. If it took 10 years to get to the conference (and it still might, judging by the strength of the current league) and it was done without any more drama and within a reasonable budget which allowed us to also develop infrastructure, then I would have taken that right from day one.

We must never allow a manager to be so influential as Gray, ever again - it is OUR club and the manager is there to manage the team and do as he's told, we are after all his employer. If the manager isn't happy with his working conditions or budget, then he can look for another job - something which Gray thankfully did in the end.
This post should be framed and hung over the turnstiles
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:58 pm

What odds an MG return this season after today?!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

100000000000000000000000000/1

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Nimrod wrote:What odds an MG return this season after today?!!
If he does, I won't.
Simple as that... And I am a long term season ticket holder.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:20 pm

The messier will return

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Or the Messiah?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:39 am

He will not return, to much has happened,

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:50 am

He would never ever be offered the job, too much water has passed under the bridge and as far as I know we already have a manager.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:33 am

Ex managers do turn up at their previous clubs, it's not an uncommon thing to happen but Gray decided to stick the knife in and left in a manner which gave the impression that he thought he was bigger and better than we (the club) deserved.

Which reminds me of that old saying which states " be careful how you treat people on the way up, as you'll meet them again on the way down"
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am

The chances of Gray returning are nil. Not because of the manner of his leaving, association with Singh, or the infamous FF, but because he reached the limit of his managerial skill in National League North. We found that out and so did York.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:16 am

Brian Atkinson, with Gregan, had the Darlo job last time until it was ruled out by league rules and he was gutted not to get his chance.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am

LoidLucan wrote:Brian Atkinson, with Gregan, had the Darlo job last time until it was ruled out by league rules and he was gutted not to get his chance.
But not gutted enough to give up his other job, which isn't really gutted.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Brian Atkinson, with Gregan, had the Darlo job last time until it was ruled out by league rules and he was gutted not to get his chance.
But not gutted enough to give up his other job, which isn't really gutted.
Come on, that's rubbish and you know it.

You seriously expected him to give up one job, plus the likelihood of work at York as well, for a part-time job with us?

If you have two jobs, you're not going to chuck them both in for one part-time job, regardless of how much you would like the part-time role.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 am

My comment was tongue in cheek, I'm not anti B.A. or S.G - however a little point lurks behind it, the point being - if you really want something you can often find a way to make it happen.

As far as I know Tommy Wright (or St Tommy as you named him) doesn't have another job, is he full time or part time ?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:My comment was tongue in cheek, I'm not anti B.A. or S.G - however a little point lurks behind it, the point being - if you really want something you can often find a way to make it happen.

As far as I know Tommy Wright (or St Tommy as you named him) doesn't have another job, is he full time or part time ?
He could have made it happen, but only by significantly reducing his income. No one in his position would have done anything differently.

As for TW, he swapped full-time Nuneaton for part-time Darlington. But he won't be much worse off financially, if it all. He travels further, so it stands to reason he's being well compensated. Again, I highly doubt he'd have made the move if he was going to be substantially worse off.

So the comparison is a fatuous one, as the context for both is very different.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:40 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:My comment was tongue in cheek, I'm not anti B.A. or S.G - however a little point lurks behind it, the point being - if you really want something you can often find a way to make it happen.

I don’t think a little point lurks behind it to be honest.

IIRC both were only offered contracts running until the end of the season - so basically a little over 6 months security, whereas they already had a guaranteed job at the MGFA and the possibility of going to York.

As much as being in charge at Darlo probably appealed to them at the time, it would have been a massive gamble for them both to give-up the MGFA and scrap the chance of going to York all for an end of season contract, and I’m sure they would have been made aware of the upcoming budget cuts too, which with all due respect TW dealt with well.