Kidderminster V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster V Darlington

Post by bga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:Isn't/wasn't Alan White a Personal Trainer? If so........ there is your answer. Your point regards part time is interesting, and of course this has been mentioned many times before on here. Playing Devils advocate, does this mean that the players are allowed a bit of slack as regards their ability to do the job (not time off) from their other Employer because they are also a part time footballer? Maybe they are but I doubt it. Do you not agree all players should be fit enough to play football at this level whatever that takes?
I think he needs someone local to him though - he’s living in Hull or something isn’t he?

It depends what job they have and their maturity in that job I guess. If they are just starting out then expect it’s their focus. Their job is what pays the mortgage still at this level I think. It just gets topped up pretty well nowadays.
I was trying not to make my comments about fitness player specific. I agree with you that some of the comments recently have been out of order, but bear in mind many (myself included) were not aware of an underlying pre existing health condition. I do wonder whether for some of our players the football wage is more than half their income? Guess we will never know without prying into their private lives. I think we can all agree our players should be as fit as any other Part timers in this league.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be getting fit. I am saying people should be conscious of their tongue. I think “Miller still needs to get match fit” is a perfectly reasonably comment to make some of the language used here is borderline abusive.

I am more conscious coz of his battles with mental illness but in actual fact does any one deserve to be subject to abusive language on an internet messageboard never mind one of our own players.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm

I was trying not to make my comments about fitness player specific. I agree with you that some of the comments recently have been out of order, but bear in mind many (myself included) were not aware of an underlying pre existing health condition. I do wonder whether for some of our players the football wage is more than half their income? Guess we will never know without prying into their private lives. I think we can all agree our players should be as fit as any other Part timers in this league.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:Right gonna put it out there people need to give Hughes a chance. I think he himself will know he is not in shape but to describe him as a cart horse is needlessly harsh. Anyone can see that he is extremely composed on the ball and technically has the skillset required.

It’s not an excuse but the guy is still working his way back from depths of depression and nearly suicide. Do we really think that the way to talk about such an individual is just abuse his weight constantly?

Maybe it’s just me but I can see a player in there. He needs some time to get right and back to a peak condition but that isn’t easy for a part timer who has another job to work throughout the day.

The more I look at it he would benefit from some individual fitness training (local personal trainer perhaps?) because he’s not going to get there from just completing the stuff with the rest of the team. I’m sure this is all well known but you don’t become ‘fit’ in 6 weeks.
I agree that we need to be sensitive of the mental health issues that he has had, but also, it is not unreasonable to expect that he loses some weight, as his performance at work is tied up on it. I'm not saying he's a write off, but if he wants to be paid to play football, a bare minimum is that he stays in reasonable shape.

As someone else pointed out, you can be a bit heavier but still do well. I think Ainge probably falls into this category. Even Styche isn't far off. They're big lads, but i don't think anyone is questioning their fitness. Hughes, sorry, looks out of shape, and it does go against him that he's playing in a position when more fitness is required.

Anyway, that aside. I've finally caught up with the highlights. That was much worse than I would've imagined, sadly. Obviously we're in trouble when we go down to ten men with that amount of time on the clock (It was a red for sure, is that a three game ban). Too many individual errors though. Thought the penalty was soft, but what is Collins doing for their second? Ball watching. The final goal is a shambles as well.

Eesh. Hope we can bounce back. I do believe we can make the playoff this year, but there's certainly work to do.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

bga wrote:I was trying not to make my comments about fitness player specific. I agree with you that some of the comments recently have been out of order, but bear in mind many (myself included) were not aware of an underlying pre existing health condition. I do wonder whether for some of our players the football wage is more than half their income? Guess we will never know without prying into their private lives. I think we can all agree our players should be as fit as any other Part timers in this league.
It’s probably not hard to work out. What is our playing budget now? About £120,000 per annum shared amongst about 18 people. They are getting £6k-£7k per year which is considerably more than teams we are in a division against who are lucky to get £4K.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:I was trying not to make my comments about fitness player specific. I agree with you that some of the comments recently have been out of order, but bear in mind many (myself included) were not aware of an underlying pre existing health condition. I do wonder whether for some of our players the football wage is more than half their income? Guess we will never know without prying into their private lives. I think we can all agree our players should be as fit as any other Part timers in this league.
It’s probably not hard to work out. What is our playing budget now? About £120,000 per annum shared amongst about 18 people. They are getting £6k-£7k per year which is considerably more than teams we are in a division against who are lucky to get £4K.
Are you joking?

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:
£120k budget......are you for real!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Think again.......Boost the Budget was £86,000 on top of the playing Budget already allocated to TW. Players clearly earn more than you calculate some are on a decent wage!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 am

Put it this way I know that more than one club in our league have budgets <£2.5k per week.

I’ve found what I was looking for anyway in AGM. Our budget and I thought this included the boost the budget was aiming to be £225k - I had that figure in my head as the one before the £80k deduction. Assuming Wright and White are taking a salary as well as do we have 18 players plus staff. Sooo divided equally 20 ways is £11kish per year - but that would as far as I am aware include expenses as well?

Even if on minimum wage they gonna be on >£14k per year? The only way I can see that their football money is greater than their ‘main job’ is if they don’t work FT.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am

lo36789 wrote:Put it this way I know that more than one club in our league have budgets <£2.5k per week.

I’ve found what I was looking for anyway in AGM. Our budget and I thought this included the boost the budget was aiming to be £225k - I had that figure in my head as the one before the £80k deduction. Assuming Wright and White are taking a salary as well as do we have 18 players plus staff. Sooo divided equally 20 ways is £11kish per year - but that would as far as I am aware include expenses as well?

Even if on minimum wage they gonna be on >£14k per year? The only way I can see that their football money is greater than their ‘main job’ is if they don’t work FT.
A couple of clubs isn’t representative of the whole league though. There are some huge budgets.

I think that fag packet maths, based on the figures given by DFCSG when Boost the Budget initative was launched, would suggest that our budget is around the £250k mark (inclusive of BtB). Quakerz did a pretty good break-down of this on a previous thread. This does not include management costs (Wright, White, Collett etc).

Your suggestion that we have players the likes of Styche, Trotman, O’Hanlon, Nicholson etc travelling up for just £7k a year (i.e. £175 a week over a 40-week season) is ridiculous! Take away their petrol for 2 training sessions a week and then match-day and it would barely be worth it.

We pay good part-time money at this level which allows us to bring in players from further down South that are willing to travel.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Cool I got mixed up with the pre / post BtB figures.

I think the point will probably still stand that their football money isn’t going to be >50% of their net pay. Taking into account as you say quite a large expenses bill that is going to take a substantial amount of the playing budget (assuming it comes out of that!).

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

I reckon our playing budget is 250k, possibly pushing 260k as we went over the 80k BTB target.

Divide that by 18 players and it's 14-15k a man. Over a year that's £300 a week average for playing part time. I'd love a part time job which paid me that much!

In reality the players only get paid during the season, so it's around 40 weeks pay - so probably around £375 a week average during the season.

I can't see the likes of Vaulks, Saunders and Glover being on more than £200 a week, especially Glover - then the likes of Trotman, Wheatley, O'hanlon and Maddison are early 20s so as a guess would be unlikely to be on more than average money - and that still leaves scope to pay your top players around 500 a week (40 weeks x 500 = 20k spread over a year).

Let's be honest, there's plenty of people working full time for 20k a year and less - so even though we've slashed our budget, most of our players are still pretty well paid - and maybe one or two of our players could get by just on their football money if they have a wife bringing in a wage as well.

Gray's last playing budget was 334k so you can see how some of his boys could have been on as much as 600-700 a week (24k-28k spread over a year), and we're definitely into full time money for a part time job territory there.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I think the wages you describe above are about right.

The Curzon Ashton team are on £200 a week apparently.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I think the wages you describe above are about right.

The Curzon Ashton team are on £200 a week apparently.
Maybe if they only had about 10 players...their players are on closer to £100 than £200.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Hmmm, that's the info I picked up on Saturday, but it could be wrong I suppose.

Could be right though, Players (18?) X £200 X Weeks (40) = £144,000. Some of the younger players will be on less therefore trimming this £144K down by about 20K.

It's supposition, unless you know otherwise ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Presumably we are also paying National Insurance out of that £250k?

That takes it down to £220k ish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC