Darlington V Blyth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Blyth

Post by D_F_C » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:In genuine disbelief that we didn’t win that game. We absolutely hammered them
First half was fairly even, but then we got well on top and we certainly deserved the win. Thomo got MOTM, but I'd have given it to Galbraith and Trotman had a great game as well. We hit the woodwork twice and had 3 goals disallowed. Overall it was a very good game and a vast improvement on the Curzon Ashton game.
Fairly even first half? Not for me. We started well, conceded off nothing. Next 10 were even-ish. Then we dominated everything after, although they did have 1 very good chance at the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 am

Excellent performance. If we can maintain that standard we will win a lot of games.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 am

Three disallowed one hand ball two off sides I heard the referee had said. Didn't see anything wrong myself with the third goal. But that's the poor standards of refereeing in these league,s
Onwards and upwards kiddie on Saturday.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 am

Really enjoyed the game, but not the result. Trotman and Galbraith outstanding and if the Peterlee Pele had scored that 45 yard shot what a night!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 am

onewayup wrote:Three disallowed one hand ball two off sides I heard the referee had said. Didn't see anything wrong myself with the third goal. But that's the poor standards of refereeing in these league,s
Onwards and upwards kiddie on Saturday.
The hand ball disallowed goal was interesting... Had the ball hit a Blyth player in the same way and bounced clear, would the ref have given a penalty.. I very much doubt it.
But, as others have said. It was a very good performance last night apart from not getting the luck you sometimes need in games.. Indeed all the luck was with Blyth last night.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am

D_F_C wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:In genuine disbelief that we didn’t win that game. We absolutely hammered them
First half was fairly even, but then we got well on top and we certainly deserved the win. Thomo got MOTM, but I'd have given it to Galbraith and Trotman had a great game as well. We hit the woodwork twice and had 3 goals disallowed. Overall it was a very good game and a vast improvement on the Curzon Ashton game.
Fairly even first half? Not for me. We started well, conceded off nothing. Next 10 were even-ish. Then we dominated everything after, although they did have 1 very good chance at the end

Well it's just about opinions, I thought they had the better of the first 20 minutes, hence a fairly even first half.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 am

wizardofos wrote:Excellent performance. If we can maintain that standard we will win a lot of games.
This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am

Credit must also go to the management duo, for pulling together this squad of players, and getting them playing well within the team in a relatively short time frame. Well done both management and players.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am

I heard some gob shites slating our keeper for one of Saturday s goals and they were saying the jury is out..FFS some of our fans are funking delusional at times and they forget it's a good young team and mistakes happen we are PART TIME not premiership class..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 am

Apart from 10/15 mins at the start of the game, I was happy with that performance last night. We did everything we could apart from getting that second goal.
We just didn’t have that bit of luck, any other day we’d have scored 5/6.

How Blyth beat Chester 8-1 at the weekend I don’t know as they were just awful. Thommo has a fantastic game and deserved a goal. Thought Elliott and Wheatley in the middle were superb and they’re building up a great understanding.

Styche and Ainge are doing fantastic up top too, 7 goals between them in 4 games. It’s only going to get better too.

Must give credit to the Darlo fans who turned out in the rain. 1631 wasn’t it? Alongside Blyths massive 15/20 who turned up.
Hopefully those floating fans enjoyed that game and are back against Altrincham next weekend.

Onwards to Kidderminster. Up The Darlo.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am

AndyPark wrote:
Must give credit to the Darlo fans who turned out in the rain. 1631 wasn’t it? Alongside Blyths massive 15/20 who turned up.
That's an encouraging attendance for a midweek game in the rain if true.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

The weather could have put a few off, as it was pretty heavy in the 30 minutes before kick-off and then when the game started it stopped. Thought the Blyth turnout was really poor and given that the 1600 or so Darlo that made up the rest of the crowd was a great effort.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am

AndyPark wrote:How Blyth beat Chester 8-1 at the weekend I don’t know as they were just awful.
Thought they contributed to an entertaining game. Very sharp up front which we really struggled with early on but remedied that by making them defend for most of the game - and their centre halves did that very well unfortunately.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am

I also thought Blyth were better team first 15-20 mins. Seemed to get through us every time they went forward, and could have been 2 up at least. Switch then seemed to be thrown, and we battered them, but without much luck, and also some poor finishing. Nearly lost it at the end when the munchkin dragged a shot wide he should really have scored.

Very encouraging performance.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:12 pm

An encouraging attendance indeed. Looking forward to the highlights.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Just seen Armstrong's post match comments and loved the "after McGuire's goal we were dragged down to their style of play". What a complete load of rubbish, not the brightest button in the box and he should have acknowledged they were played off the park by a far better team and should thank his lucky stars that very debatable decisions by the match officials have gifted him a point.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Good to hear Armstrong saying that had they won it would have been daylight robbery, and darlington were a good side, and they nicked an unexpected point

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Well it's just about opinions, I thought they had the better of the first 20 minutes, hence a fairly even first half.
Not criticising yours, just disagreeing. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

People shouldn’t blame the ref. We still should have won and it was nice to see Tommy not blame the ref.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm

I came away last night incredibly encouraged. We battered them, but just had one of those nights in front of goal.

I don't think, with the way we're set up, we're going to be the most solid of teams. 2 out and out strikers, 2 proper wingers, 2 CMs who like to get forwards and 2 attacking full backs means we're going to be left open at times. So I'm not surprised that Blyth, who are set up in a similarly attacking fashion, carved out a few chances of their own. But the pleasing thing was how relatively few they were. We won the ball back well. Elliott and Wheatley must be the most energetic CM partnership we've had in years.

And some of the play going forwards was a joy to behold, carving them open at will. Some of the best football I've seen from a Darlo team. Yes it's disappointing we didn't finish the chances off, but that will come. I reckon we will thump a few teams this season (and I think we will also be on the end of a few thumpings too when we have a bad day, but I hope I'm wrong on that count!).

The one down side is I don't think 433 with both Styche and Ainge on works. I think we lose our shape a bit. Bit that's just nitpicking, as we still created chances after that. I just think Nicholson or Saunders would be better placed for that wide forward role.

Anyway, if that is the standard of play we can expect this season then we'll be in for a very entertaining season, and one in which we should win plenty of games.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Any floating support last night will have been royally entertained and I'm sure they'll come back in the very near future.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Any floating support last night will have been royally entertained and I'm sure they'll come back in the very near future.
No doubt they won't because we didn't win 6-1... :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Really struggling with what is wrong with that third disallowed goal. It goes in off the defender, doesn't it??

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am

It hit Styche but no-one on the Blyth side appealed for handball. Seems like the only person in the ground to spot a deliberate handball was the ref.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 am

The behind goal cam looks a bit suspicious. If you look before Jameson dives Styche makes a movement with him right arm and then it is being pulled back once Jameson has dived. The footage doesn’t conclusively show it though and the original angle looks like nowt wrong.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 am

lo36789 wrote:The behind goal cam looks a bit suspicious. If you look before Jameson dives Styche makes a movement with him right arm and then it is being pulled back once Jameson has dived. The footage doesn’t conclusively show it though and the original angle looks like nowt wrong.
Whilst the camera on the half way line gives a different angle to what the Linesman sees, first 2 goals did look just offside to me didn't they?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am

H1987 wrote:Really struggling with what is wrong with that third disallowed goal. It goes in off the defender, doesn't it??

The Ref seems to be well placed with this incident. To me it looks like the ball could well hit Styche on the arm - it's heading towards him at arm height - Styche seems to make a little nudging turn towards the goal - then the ball is in the net!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:20 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
H1987 wrote:Really struggling with what is wrong with that third disallowed goal. It goes in off the defender, doesn't it??

The Ref seems to be well placed with this incident. To me it looks like the ball could well hit Styche on the arm - it's heading towards him at arm height - Styche seems to make a little nudging turn towards the goal - then the ball is in the net!
Cannot see from the highlights but not sure if Styche "protested his innocence" after this, if not then that probably tells you something!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Have a look again, Styche is doing his nut with the ref. Very telling that neither the Blyth player marking Styche nor the one a few yards away appeal for anything. One of them just has his head in his hands in despair. They were surprised it was disallowed.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Have a look again, Styche is doing his nut with the ref. Very telling that neither the Blyth player marking Styche nor the one a few yards away appeal for anything. One of them just has his head in his hands in despair. They were surprised it was disallowed.
That will teach me to watch highlights at 05:00am with my wrong glasses! :thumbup:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I don’t think Styche really reacts on the highlights. I’ve seen him react more than that when blatant fouls have been given against him when his guilt isn’t even in doubt. It’s what he does to sow a seed of doubt thinking that it might mean the next 50:50 will go his way.

In fact initially he just seems to go back to his position it’s only when the ref moves toward him does he say anything. I’d have really expected Styche to go and remonstrate towards him if he felt hugely hard done by.

Jameson appeals but agree nobody else does. The guy marking Styche won’t have a clue it’s too close to him to see what it came off.

As for offsides. The first goal (Blyth) the camera does show anything we can’t see the Blyth player as the ball is played. On ours it’s actually really really tight to the point I don’t really know. You could draw a line which says he’s off and one which says he’s on and it’s impossible to tell which is the one that is correct based on camera angle distortion.