Legends game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legends game

Post by JE93 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:09 pm

dickdarlington wrote:I thoroughly enjouyed the day. There was a great vibe, and not even the weather stopped the fun. It was good to see some famous faces, and some much loved ones from the past.

However, i walked away feeling that this was a wasted opportunity financially. There should have been double that attendance. there was little advertising/promotion outside of the existing sphere. It's a painful lesson learnt, but my thoughts are that the commercial side of the club has progressed as far as it can on a voluntary basis. The club needs a full time commercial/marketing manager. Somebody to work on selling advertising space, on increasing the saleable package as a whole. On getting the image ouf the club out there.

The club and supporters group do a decent job as it is and this isn't a dig at the hard work that does get done, but their time limitations are what is holding things back. Lets take the plunge and give someone a fighting chance of generating some valuable pounds.

Before anyone says anything, yes, I have presented this to the club.
Can't agree. Just think the amount of money that person would have to bring in just to be cost neutral. Anything they don't make comes out of the playing budget. It's a chicken and egg situation but I don't think adding a liability of a full time wage to the club is the way to do it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:23 pm

dickdarlington wrote:The club and supporters group do a decent job as it is and this isn't a dig at the hard work that does get done, but their time limitations are what is holding things back. Lets take the plunge and give someone a fighting chance of generating some valuable pounds.

I thought D.J. had mentioned this and was trying to sort it?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

JE93 wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:I thoroughly enjouyed the day. There was a great vibe, and not even the weather stopped the fun. It was good to see some famous faces, and some much loved ones from the past.

However, i walked away feeling that this was a wasted opportunity financially. There should have been double that attendance. there was little advertising/promotion outside of the existing sphere. It's a painful lesson learnt, but my thoughts are that the commercial side of the club has progressed as far as it can on a voluntary basis. The club needs a full time commercial/marketing manager. Somebody to work on selling advertising space, on increasing the saleable package as a whole. On getting the image ouf the club out there.

The club and supporters group do a decent job as it is and this isn't a dig at the hard work that does get done, but their time limitations are what is holding things back. Lets take the plunge and give someone a fighting chance of generating some valuable pounds.

Can't agree. Just think the amount of money that person would have to bring in just to be cost neutral. Anything they don't make comes out of the playing budget. It's a chicken and egg situation but I don't think adding a liability of a full time wage to the club is the way to do it.
Well a hike on the gate of 150 per match would afford a wage around the £30,000 mark, but on current experience that looks an awfully big ask just to break even. To really make it work better than the current arrangements it would require an increased gate much higher than that. It seems you would have to have a pretty clear idea of what this person could achieve before you could justify splashing the cash. Perhaps if they were in part employed by the council to finish closing all the shops in the town centre so that people who went shopping on Saturday afternoons could be directed to spending their time and cash on football instead we might have a winning solution.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

What about selling games in 3's I.e games are £14 adult or £13 If online what about 3 home games for £36 or something along those lines , we could encorparate with a cup game to to encourage a few more through the gate

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm

en passant wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Well a hike on the gate of 150 per match would afford a wage around the £30,000 mark, but on current experience that looks an awfully big ask just to break even. To really make it work better than the current arrangements it would require an increased gate much higher than that. .....
If someone was employed in this role, you would expect them to be seeking to increase the commercial revenue rather than the attendance figures.

If the only benefit you are seeking from such a role is an increase in crowd figures, then the person employed is not being utilized efficiently.

Whilst increased crowds are welcome, the biggest source of untapped income is from businesses

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Easy. Find a conference north quality player who has his sights set on a career in marketing or sponsorship sales and employ him part time alongside his playing role.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 am

Spyman wrote:Easy. Find a conference north quality player who has his sights set on a career in marketing or sponsorship sales and employ him part time alongside his playing role.

What if you want to get rid of the player, or he ends up wanting to leave for footballing reasons...

Wouldn't really work in practice i would expect. Footballers are too transient.

I think it's Gateshead who offer 'flex' season tickets, for folks who can't make every game, but can buy a block of ten or fifteen tickets. It could be an avenue worth investigating. You might get people who live further away buying one, who might only ordinarily make a couple of games.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm

H1987 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Easy. Find a conference north quality player who has his sights set on a career in marketing or sponsorship sales and employ him part time alongside his playing role.

What if you want to get rid of the player, or he ends up wanting to leave for footballing reasons...

Wouldn't really work in practice i would expect. Footballers are too transient.

I think it's Gateshead who offer 'flex' season tickets, for folks who can't make every game, but can buy a block of ten or fifteen tickets. It could be an avenue worth investigating. You might get people who live further away buying one, who might only ordinarily make a couple of games.
I wasn't being entirely serious - but if it was someone in the situation Turnbull was in when he joined us, perhaps coming towards the end of their career as a player who was almost certain to be able to offer us two or three years on the pitch - if they could build the marketing/sales side of their role over that period we may then be in a position to offer them something more like a full-time role when they retired.

Of course, the chances of us finding someone with that niche skillset in exactly that stage in their career is highly unlikely - but it would be an ideal solution if it did ever present itself.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:59 pm

biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:My highlight was Chris Senior scoring and then celebrating flossing with his young un.. Now he is a Darlo Legend for obvious reasons
Who's the number 15 who congratulates Senior? Billy Bragg let himself go?
https://youtu.be/QO898bYrDn4?t=191
Was a fantastic experience, I'll take Billy Bragg any day of the week even though no good on the guitar, I can partially blame the tight away shirts but yes "I did eat all the pies"

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:My highlight was Chris Senior scoring and then celebrating flossing with his young un.. Now he is a Darlo Legend for obvious reasons
Who's the number 15 who congratulates Senior? Billy Bragg let himself go?
https://youtu.be/QO898bYrDn4?t=191
Was a fantastic experience, I'll take Billy Bragg any day of the week even though no good on the guitar, I can partially blame the tight away shirts but yes "I did eat all the pies"
:thumbup: Nice one eddie-rowles. Hope my comment didn't come across as unkind; it wasn't intended as such (I was channelling Stewart Lee and his "Terry Christian's let himself go. Morrissey's let himself go etc" routine about being mistaken for other people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVffIgFsJDg). Glad you had a good day.