Mr Gray in todays NLP

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Mr Gray in todays NLP

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:37 pm

bga wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
bga wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:I know it’s slightly off topic but Salford have just signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen and he’s on £4,000 per week! Against all odds..
Owners probably confused and think they have signed their old mate Wayne as a kindness in his old age. :lol:
Darlo_Cr more likely to be confused as I very much doubt a player at that level is on £208,000 a year!
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.four ... format=amp
Don't believe everything you read second hand! (Fake news?) I still maintain I doubt he is being paid this amount.
Don’t shoot the messenger.. I’m just reporting what’s all over the news!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Danny Lloyd also said he used to be on peanuts before he signed for Salford, according to their chairman he was being paid £80,000 a year!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:23 pm

The wages in SPL outside of Celtic & Rangers are not particularly high I wouldnt expect. Comparable to League One and Two so £1000-£1500 per week I expect. It is why they are able to pluck conference players quite easily who are between £700-£1200 mark.

Salford clearly with intentions to go straight through by developing local talent...again.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Owners probably confused and think they have signed their old mate Wayne as a kindness in his old age. :lol:[/quote]
Darlo_Cr more likely to be confused as I very much doubt a player at that level is on £208,000 a year![/quote]
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.four ... format=amp[/quote]
Don't believe everything you read second hand! (Fake news?) I still maintain I doubt he is being paid this amount.[/quote]
Don’t shoot the messenger.. I’m just reporting what’s all over the news![/quote]
Evening News states "It is understood that......." I always treat that phrase with suspician as the Jounalist has not got the balls (or evidence?) to make a more decisive statement. Also fourfourtwo just report what they have read elsewhere! But I wasn't having a go at you just the Press.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Reported fee of £350,000 they've paid for Rooney. Not confirmed mind.

If true, it dwarfs the £250,000 a year budget we have for next season, the financial madness that used to be largely confined to the top levels of the game has spread to all levels of the game.

Was reading an article about the South Shields chairman planning to invest £4m in their infrastructure as well in the medium term future, along with Chester receiving a gift of £1m to improve their infrastructure

It always seems being a Darlo fan that everyone else gets the lucky breaks and we have to make do with the fallout from all the incompetent owners we have had in the past. Then again, the club could have had a smart stadium fit for purpose with money generating facilities if we hadn't had an egomaniac of an owner build us that oversized monstrosity at the bottom of Neasham Road.

Oh well, we aren't in a bad position at the moment and lots of good work going on to improve the club both on and off the pitch ongoing. Roll on the start of the season.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm inclined to believe the £4k a week figure. Rooney at aberdeen was probably on around £3k a week at least - so to drop to such a level and move hundreds of miles away to play suggests a figure of £4k. Remember, Lim is bankrolling sa£ford and he's a billionaire. a few hundred grand to him is nothing.

Wages in the SPL - sellick excepted - aren't overly high. Forget The rangers as they are a basket case of a club at the mo. (one minute they can't afford to lure Martin Skrtl on £6k a week, but then they sign scott arfield who must be on a £20-£30k a week deal (I think someone else is paying his wages - and gerrard and macallister)

But Hearts, hibs & aberdeen probably pay an average of £3k a week - some players will be on £6k - £7k but very few.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:49 pm

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... study/amp/

Not quite. Aberdeen average about £2,600 per week. Once you get to Hearts and Hibs it’s about £1,700.

League One money.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 am

Good spot Lo - although it’s the sun newspaper which is notorious for making things up.

The averages will be lowered - certainly in hearts case - if they’ve factored in what the 16 year olds are earning. Lafferty, Naismith and Berra will be on big bucks

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Interestingly David Preece has said on twitter NL salaries are £500-£800 per week which he knows from time coaching at Lincoln. My £800-£1200 thought might have been over the top as a result.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Fook Gray. Who cares about him now? Let the inner chi keep you chilled and mellow.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm

I see Salford are favourites with coral for promotion from NL will take some doing I think even with all there money

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Salford were my favourites the moment they went up from NLN. I think it’s between them and Fylde.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 am

£alford certainly starting to ruffle some feathers.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ague-place

offside

Post by offside » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Hope Martin gray loses his first 5 games and gets sacked !!!!!!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Here is a quote from the M.G.Football Academy website.

"Martin is a former professional footballer with Sunderland, Oxford United and Darlington, and as manager of Darlington Football Club, he has guided them to three promotions in four seasons from the Northern League to the Vanarama National League North — an unparalleled achievement. He is the most successful manager in the club’s 134 year history."

The last sentence :roll:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Here is a quote from the M.G.Football Academy website.

"Martin is a former professional footballer with Sunderland, Oxford United and Darlington, and as manager of Darlington Football Club, he has guided them to three promotions in four seasons from the Northern League to the Vanarama National League North — an unparalleled achievement. He is the most successful manager in the club’s 134 year history."

The last sentence :roll:
I think Brian Little might have something to say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Yeah - those were my thoughts too. I don't think Gray's achievements surpass Little's, and then of course there's the manner of Gray's leaving to consider.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Maybe he means he’s the most successful manger since 2012 which I guess he is

I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm

No, he meant the most successful manager in our 134 year history. But he isn't, as you can't compare winning the Northern League and Evostik League with winning the Conference, or Division 4 or the FA Trophy.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Quakerz wrote:No, he meant the most successful manager in our 134 year history. But he isn't, as you can't compare winning the Northern League and Evostik League with winning the Conference, or Division 4 or the FA Trophy.
"Most successful NON LEAGUE Manager in the Club's 134 year history" anyone? I agree Football League achievements (of which there are very few!) count for much more.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Quakerz wrote:No, he meant the most successful manager in our 134 year history. But he isn't, as you can't compare winning the Northern League and Evostik League with winning the Conference, or Division 4 or the FA Trophy.
The statement would have been more believable had he said the most successful manager in the clubs 6 year history

I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 am

Cyril knowles possibility did a better job?

Did he have less cash than little had via Dick Corden?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 pm

You couldnt make it up with salford. They signed ashley hemmings from boston a few weeks ago and have now sold him to fylde without kicking a ball for them in anger. Presumably this is because they have managed to sign danny lloyd who they regarded as better so didnt need hemmings anymore. Its like some sort of computer football game with real people. What a joke.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

shildonlad wrote: The statement would have been more believable had he said the most successful manager in the clubs 6 year history
No it wouldn't, because the club is 135 years old.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Cyril knowles possibility did a better job?

He absolutely had less money than Little had under Corden.

Knowles turned us from perennial Division 4 no hopers into promotion winners off the back of very small crowds in previous seasons and therefore little finance - and although the crowds increased massively during the 84/85 season due to the promotion form and FA Cup run he will have started that campaign without the sort of money that those increased crowds brought.

He then got us playing the best football I've ever seen us play in Division 3 in the 85/86 season - we had a terrible start and a terrible finish due to our small squad being crippled by injuries, quite often we were wondering how we'd even field 11 men - but in the middle 3rd of the season when we had a fit squad we went 15 unbeaten and beat everybody notable, and I mean everybody. We beat Wolves, Swansea, Reading, Bolton, Derby, everyone.

We finished 15th that year but could easily have finished top 8-10 with more luck on injuries.

After we unbelievably sacked him the following season, he then went to Torquay and then Hartlepool and did exactly the same with them as us - turned them from bottom feeders into promotion challengers.

There's no doubt in my mind that Cyril Knowles was our best ever manager. RIP.

polam

Post by polam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:Cyril knowles possibility did a better job?

He absolutely had less money than Little had under Corden.

Knowles turned us from perennial Division 4 no hopers into promotion winners off the back of very small crowds in previous seasons and therefore little finance - and although the crowds increased massively during the 84/85 season due to the promotion form and FA Cup run he will have started that campaign without the sort of money that those increased crowds brought.

He then got us playing the best football I've ever seen us play in Division 3 in the 85/86 season - we had a terrible start and a terrible finish due to our small squad being crippled by injuries, quite often we were wondering how we'd even field 11 men - but in the middle 3rd of the season when we had a fit squad we went 15 unbeaten and beat everybody notable, and I mean everybody. We beat Wolves, Swansea, Reading, Bolton, Derby, everyone.

We finished 15th that year but could easily have finished top 8-10 with more luck on injuries.

After we unbelievably sacked him the following season, he then went to Torquay and then Hartlepool and did exactly the same with them as us - turned them from bottom feeders into promotion challengers.

There's no doubt in my mind that Cyril Knowles was our best ever manager. RIP.

Nice to see some recognition for Cyril Knowles. To put his 84/85 achievements further into context, the club had not had a promotion for 19 (!) years and money was even tighter than budgeted (because of weather postponements we played 0 home league games in Jan and only 1 in Feb). As well as seeing off Boro in the FA Cup 3rd round, we almost got to the Freight Rover Northern final, being narrowly beaten by Bolton at Feethams.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/mem ... arl-airey/

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:03 am

Bang on chaps. I also remember one player at the time - maybe Phil Lloyd - saying knowles would deconstruct a player and rebuild them - some players were totally transformed - others never recovered. Those seasons in the mid 80's were great.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 am

Some previous occupants of the Darlo hot seat have produced impressive returns with very limited resources compared Gray - it's relatively easy to blitz through the the lower reaches of non league if you can outspend any potential rival.

On second reading this end bit annoys me more than it did first time round!

"He is the most successful manager in the club’s 134 year history." And Gray's sanctioned this guff.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!