Fancy our chances...?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Fancy our chances...?

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:28 am

Go on, get your shirt on the Dynamic Duo up front to fire us to glory.
BetVictor odds:

4/1 STOCKPORT COUNTY
5/1 YORK CITY
8/1 HEREFORD
12/1 CHESTER FC
12/1 GUISELEY
12/1 SOUTHPORT
12/1 KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS
14/1 BRACKLEY TOWN
14/1 CHORLEY
14/1 BOSTON UNITED
16/1 DARLINGTON
20/1 BRADFORD PA
20/1 BLYTH SPARTANS
25/1 ALTRINCHAM
25/1 SPENNYMOOR
33/1 ALFRETON TOWN
50/1 NUNEATON
50/1 ASHTON UNITED
50/1 AFC TELFORD UNITED
50/1 FC UNITED
50/1 CURZON ASHTON
50/1 LEAMINGTON

I quite fancy Southport to go close. Loads of cash, big-money signings... that's them in the bottom three then :D

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Fancy our chances...?

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

I think 25/1 for Spenny is fantastic odds. I know they have had no signings yet but who would bet against Brad spending bigger again this year and adding some quality to a decent enough squad.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm

I thought seven-figure Brad said the club was going to reduce the reliance on him as much as possible and they were seeking new investors.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Alfreton are perhaps decent value e/w at those odds

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 pm

I don’t think there’s any stand out candidate this year. Could be 15 teams in the mix for the playoffs, maybe more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Alfreton are excellent value.

Obviously there's a long way until the start of the season but you'd expect Kidderminster, York, Brackley and Chorley to be strong. Surprised Stockport are as short as they are, but it must surely happen for them at some point.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm

al_quaker wrote:Alfreton are perhaps decent value e/w at those odds
That was my immediate reaction too considering they have been pushing the boat out with new signings.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I think they're pretty favourable odds for us, as there's no standout side this year. Interesting that Hereford are 8/1.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Brackley at 14/1 are stand outs for me

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Just waiting for us to fill the gap between the posts before i commit my cash ;)

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Anybody post a link to the betvictor odds? I cant seem to find it

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 pm

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:41 am

swadquaker wrote:Anybody post a link to the betvictor odds? I cant seem to find it
Did you find it??
We are 14/1 now

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

It looks like this league is becoming more difficult each season. When you look back at the final table for 2015-16 when Solihull Moors won the title, I don't think there were any full-time clubs. Fylde finished third but went full-time the following season and up they went. Despite two full-time teams going up last season, there are still a handful who are full-time and certainly several who have had fairly big money to spend. It'll be a tough season all right.
Then again in the league above the scramble to get into the Football League looks tougher than ever. Salford are splashing the cash again and have just given one player a three-year contract, it's getting crazier than ever.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am

LoidLucan wrote:It looks like this league is becoming more difficult each season. When you look back at the final table for 2015-16 when Solihull Moors won the title, I don't think there were any full-time clubs. Fylde finished third but went full-time the following season and up they went. Despite two full-time teams going up last season, there are still a handful who are full-time and certainly several who have had fairly big money to spend. It'll be a tough season all right.
Then again in the league above the scramble to get into the Football League looks tougher than ever. Salford are splashing the cash again and have just given one player a three-year contract, it's getting crazier than ever.

I agree totally.

The madness of football finances is spreading down the pyramid.

I wonder how many of the current NLN clubs will experience a financial crisis in the next ten years. I suspect it will be a large number of them [& before anyone mentions it, I am including Spennymoor in that list]

If you look at the founder members of the Conference, nearly all of them have either gone out of business or into administration/ financial meltdown at some time since

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 am

I remain confident that if we stick to our prudent financial guns then the landscape will change and there will be more set-ups like our own, and clubs like Gateshead who spend beyond their means will have to also cut their cloth accordingly.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I remain confident that if we stick to our prudent financial guns then the landscape will change and there will be more set-ups like our own, and clubs like Gateshead who spend beyond their means will have to also cut their cloth accordingly.
havent they already had to? - new owners or a massive budget drop?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

I was going to say I hope this will be the case - but given our experiences and others, it's surely more a matter of time before Sal£ford and the likes go pop.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I remain confident that if we stick to our prudent financial guns then the landscape will change and there will be more set-ups like our own, and clubs like Gateshead who spend beyond their means will have to also cut their cloth accordingly.
There will always be money men gambling on chucking money in for a few seasons on a play thing. We’re probably seeing an increase in this if anything else. The pyramid is taking on a much different look as a result with many ex-league clubs now residing in the National. Just as one club like Gateshead has to live within their means another new club is being bankrolled. With no outside investment I could see us holding our own in a largely part-time National. Sadly I don’t think there would ever be a time when the National league isn’t heavily subsidised due to the money on offer at the next level up

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 am

Talking of splashing the cash, MG is taking no chances this time around at York as he nows has SIX strikers on the books:

YORK City manager Martin Gray has declared himself happy with his striking options for next season after signing Macaulay Langstaff form Gateshead.

Langstaff will join fellow new attackers Jake Wright and Jordan Burrow, as well as last season’s 25-goal leading marksman Jon Parkin, rookie Alex Kempster and first-year professional Flynn McNaughton, in a front-line that Gray believes will give City greater all-round potency during the 2018/19 National League North campaign.

Well, you can't ever have too many, can you? What can possibly go wrong :D ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 am

LoidLucan wrote:Talking of splashing the cash, MG is taking no chances this time around at York as he nows has SIX strikers on the books:

YORK City manager Martin Gray has declared himself happy with his striking options for next season after signing Macaulay Langstaff form Gateshead.

Langstaff will join fellow new attackers Jake Wright and Jordan Burrow, as well as last season’s 25-goal leading marksman Jon Parkin, rookie Alex Kempster and first-year professional Flynn McNaughton, in a front-line that Gray believes will give City greater all-round potency during the 2018/19 National League North campaign.

Good luck to him keeping all of them happy!!

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am

LoidLucan wrote:Talking of splashing the cash, MG is taking no chances this time around at York as he nows has SIX strikers on the books:

Including last season, I reckon that’s 6 strikers plus the young first year professional that Gray has signed.Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 am

So the formation will be 3-1-6. :lol: :roll:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 am

joejaques wrote:So the formation will be 3-1-6. :lol: :roll:
Not a lot different then from the 2-3-5 formation when myself and probably you first started watching. :lol:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 am

banktopp wrote:
joejaques wrote:So the formation will be 3-1-6. :lol: :roll:
Not a lot different then from the 2-3-5 formation when myself and probably you first started watching. :lol:
You'll need to explain that one to the kids. :roll:

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 pm

What is a Right Half Dad?
A Right Half son is Ray Yeoman and you don't want to meet him on a football field!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 am

AlanSprouts wrote:What is a Right Half Dad?
A Right Half son is Ray Yeoman and you don't want to meet him on a football field!
Our very own ten-pin bowling ball, and he made plenty of strikes. :roll:

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

One of the funniest things I saw at Feethams was a ref running backward towards the half way line when Yogi crouched down behind him to”tie his boot lace”.The ref went arse over tit and got up covered in shite but had a good laugh with him.
Different times.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 pm

I’m sure (which is shorthand for I think I remember rather than imagine) a game against Hartlepool which was talked about, in advance, as a battle between the two hard men ie Ray Yeoman our no.4* and their number 6* who I think was called Atkinson. It would have been a game over the Christmas period and I think the pitch was suitably hard too. Sure enough the inevitable 50:50 ball came up in midfield and I, along with most everyone else there, held my breath.
Both went fully into the tackle (Probably well described in those days as bone crunching).
When the dust settled Mr. Yeoman had not let us down (he never did)
Raymond was standing, on one leg, over a prostrate Atkinson arms raised and fists clenched with his raised foot hovering over the Hartlepool No. 6’s midriff.

I can’t actually remember anything else about the game but it was worth going just for that.

*In relation to another thread on this board, in those days everyone had a pretty good idea what position a No.4 & a No.6 played in and a pretty good idea of just how they were likely to go about their business, whatever level the game was being played at. In the The. First division for example the names Harris (Chelsea) Stiles (MUFC) Bremner (LUFC) and Doyle (MCFC) spring immediately to mind but there were many others too.