Phil Turnbull Departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Phil Turnbull Departs

Post by JE93 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:13 pm

lo36789 wrote:
JE93 wrote:Looking at our starting 11 now think looked something like. Obviously players have pre season to prove themselves.

--------------------------- ??????? ---------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton ----- Galbraith ---- O'hanlon

------------------ ??????? --- Wheatley --------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers-------------------- Gillies

--------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: ???? (Yth Keeper), Collins, Hughes, ???? (Striker), Glover.
Any reason why you think that Hughes has been brought in to sit on the bench - can he not play CM alongside Wheatley?

That is current state of play. There will be plenty of players who are about to be on trial probably simultaneously with us and FL/National League clubs I am not too concerned that we have only really one or two gaps to fill. If we can bring in better quality in pre-season.
Just on the basis of reports from Cambridge fans that he is more of an attacking player rather than Turnbull who held the midfield. I think for the players listed above and the formation. Turnbull was important as he dropped back into the CB position to make it almost a back 3 and offer the cover for Trotman and O'hanlon to really push on and support the likes of Gillies and Thompson.

Don't think New signings will be signed for the bench but based on the end of last season those players currently hold that position. New players have to play themselves in and the current players retain their places.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:20 pm

I don't know, there were times when we really lacked a physical presence in reserve last season so in the absence of styche and syers we had no way of getting the ball out of defence. We're apparently close to signing a striker, and you'd expect that styche, syers, Hughes and the new one will all be after two places. We do need another midfielder who can sit in now, maybe even one who's a bit of a b****** since leon has gone. It's too soon for Glover to be a regular just now, even coming from the bench.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 27, 2018 11:36 am

We've now saved wages on Brown, Turnbull, Hunter, Portas, Scott, Marrs and Mills and added a further 8 grand - hopefully that can be added to the playing budget - so we should be able to add 3/4 decent players on a slightly reduced budget using those savings.

And the good news is that is without taking into account Burgess and Caton - if they go then there is potential for 1 or 2 more players.

But if we can't shift them and are looking at 3/4 players max, then Tommy's recruitment needs to be absolutely spot on. Major priorities are a goalkeeper, striker and midfielder in that order, and if we move on Burgess and Caton and can bring another couple in then I'd be going for a versatile defender and a winger.

If we can't move Burgess and Caton on then we might as well retain them as squad members, after all we are paying their wages, and tell them that although they're not first choice that the squad is smaller and there might be more opportunities for them to play and prove themselves.

I'm not sure I like the idea of loaning Burgess back to Whitby for next season with us paying the majority of his wages, when we are going to have a small squad.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Phil turnbull was exceptional for us whilst he was here I wish him well on his next adventure with shields, good luck Phil.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 am

I was shocked to hear this news, but in hindsight is it such a bad thing? Turnbull is not getting any younger and as others have said, he'll have been one of our best paid players, so losing him will free up more space within our budget. Obviously Turnbull will relish playing for him hometown club and he'll have less travelling as well. Good luck Phil and thanks for everything you've done for us over recent years.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 am

Shame to see him go as he's been a very good player for us, and also seemed to buy into what the club was about. He's still a good player at this level, so there is a gap in the squad, but I don't think he's exceptional anymore so I'm not overly worried.

The challenge for Tommy is to replace him with someone just as good or better. Turnbull would have been off to Shields next summer anyway, so to get 8k for him is good business I think. I'd imagine he would have been on a decent wage, so it opens up even more money for Tommy to reshape the squad in his image.