Phil Turnbull has joined South Shields

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo2807
Team Supported: Darlington

Phil Turnbull has joined South Shields

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:33 pm

According to the Echo. We do receive a transfer fee.

The Golden Hairclip

Re: Phil Turnbull has joined South Shields

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 pm

£8K apparently which isn’t enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:£8K apparently which isn’t enough

Will reserve judgement until I see who we replace him with.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 pm

At this level 8k isn't to be sneezed at, plus he will be one of the big earners I bet.

That said, I'm a bit gutted.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 pm

One of the top earners I think but let's see what Tommy is made of with the players he has to bring in.Not entirely convinced about breaking up the team as quickly as this though so over to you Tommy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 am

How much should a part time 31 year old conference north crabster be worth, like?

We need to get real, we're not a league team, that's what our players are worth.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:One of the top earners I think but let's see what Tommy is made of with the players he has to bring in.Not entirely convinced about breaking up the team as quickly as this though so over to you Tommy.

Not being funny but what is all of this talk about breaking the team up? Shields have came in for Turnbull offering a fee, it's his home town club, of course he would be interested? No point hanging on to him if he's been unsettled.

Same for Hunter who did not play at all last season.

Same for Brown, who although a great guy and a legend, was pretty much at his level and had been overtaken by the likes of Heaton.

Same for Scott, (one of my favourite players as it happens) who had given everything to the club but had also hit his level and hardly featured last season.

So we've lost Turnbull, but I'm confident we can find someone of equal ability, and we've lost a player who didn't play at all last season and two more that would hardly feature.

We've freed up wages to try and bring in equal or better, that's what close season is all about.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 am

Quakerz wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:One of the top earners I think but let's see what Tommy is made of with the players he has to bring in.Not entirely convinced about breaking up the team as quickly as this though so over to you Tommy.

Not being funny but what is all of this talk about breaking the team up? Shields have came in for Turnbull offering a fee, it's his home town club, of course he would be interested? No point hanging on to him if he's been unsettled.

Same for Hunter who did not play at all last season.

Same for Brown, who although a great guy and a legend, was pretty much at his level and had been overtaken by the likes of Heaton.

Same for Scott, (one of my favourite players as it happens) who had given everything to the club but had also hit his level and hardly featured last season.

So we've lost Turnbull, but I'm confident we can find someone of equal ability, and we've lost a player who didn't play at all last season and two more that would hardly feature.

We've freed up wages to try and bring in equal or better, that's what close season is all about.
Was going to post something similar but probably wouldn't have put it as well as Quakerz.
The breaking up of the team occurred at the beginning of last season when Ferguson, Falkingham, Bartlett and Beck all left, followed by Marrs and Burgess.. These were all first team members of the previous season.. In addition to that other players were at or above their limit and remained in the squad.
That is when the breakup occurred not now.
When you lose first teamers because of transfers, loss of form or whatever they have to be replaced.. The team is evolving.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat May 26, 2018 1:47 pm

There will be a problem replacing Turnbull with a like for like, so we may see some different formations next season to better accommodate midfielders with different styles and strengths.

Sad to see such a good player go, but at least he wont be playing against us this coming season.

The £8,000 fee looked a bit shocking as its far lower than recent fees, but age was maybe catching up and a 3rd bash at the NLN may not have appealed to him. Wage savings should be carefully employed to fill gaps in our squad.