Hereford in the North next year

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Hereford in the North next year

Post by H1987 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Another big club for this level. I'll enjoy the games, and it's good to be playing a proper club, but they'll have the means to be pushing up towards the top end of the division.

AndyPark

Re: Hereford in the North next year

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Some very strong teams at this level now.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu May 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Chester and Hereford will be the tough newboys for me, Guiseley were woeful last season.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Good news for me.
How many in this league are full time, 5,6 ?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 10, 2018 5:20 pm

You'd expect whoever loses the play-off final to be strong again.

York are strengthening. Chorley and Kidderminster are always contenders, and surely at some point it'll happen for Stockport.

Plus with some strong newcomers in the division, even just reaching the play-offs is a major ask.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm

It's a fairly local game at a well supported club for me, but they're going to be another big club making the league tougher again.

Also, are we cool with Hereford over the Simon davey fiasco now?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 pm

tdk1 wrote:It's a fairly local game at a well supported club for me, but they're going to be another big club making the league tougher again.

Sure I'd read that Hereford will have to do an awful lot of recruitment as some of their players will leave due to playing in the North & can't commit to long distance trips up north.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 pm

AndyPark wrote:
tdk1 wrote:It's a fairly local game at a well supported club for me, but they're going to be another big club making the league tougher again.

Sure I'd read that Hereford will have to do an awful lot of recruitment as some of their players will leave due to playing in the North & can't commit to long distance trips up north.
I must admit I don't know anything about their squad, except that Rob purdie was playing for them before retiring last month.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Pretty sure I read that Purdie scored the goal that got them promoted in something like the last minute of his last ever game for the club.

Looking at the league next season, including us I think that makes 7/22 teams that I remember as football league clubs within probably the last decade or so.

Boston
Chester
Darlington
Hereford
Kidderminster
Stockport
York
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Harder for us to get promoted, but at the same time probably bigger crowds,as the floating fans seem to come to these 'bigger' games.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 pm

I don't think the league is going to be much stronger, will probably be about the same 2 good teams promoted out of our league, 2 good ones promoted/relegated into our league to replace them

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Shame Purdie has retired - really liked him when he played for us

Mixed feelings about Hereford being in our league - on the one hand a proper club, but on the other I'd imagine they'll be challenging up near the top somewhere.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am

That will be news to scholars of geography! It may be slightly closer than Brackley physically but takes a lot longer to get there from BM, more than 5 hours by coach? Can't see them bringing many fans here unless it is a crucial match. Edgar Street is one of the few grounds remaining which are 'traditional' town centre locations like Feethams, so perhaps worth a nostalgic visit? Certainly another team capable of promotion and could be stiff opposition for us next year. Also fancy trips to Chester and Guisley.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri May 11, 2018 12:29 pm

It will be the only away game I can get to and from on the same day. :D :roll:

cbh89f

Post by cbh89f » Fri May 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Looking like a real good league with some cracking games ..

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

That play-offs semi final at Hereford is one of my favourite awaydays. Absolutely crazy scenes in the away end. My kids were only young but I think it cemented their love for Darlington.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 12, 2018 7:53 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:That play-offs semi final at Hereford is one of my favourite awaydays. Absolutely crazy scenes in the away end. My kids were only young but I think it cemented their love for Darlington.
It only seems like yesterday, when we got that looping header in front of the mass rank of Darlo fans

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

Chester is an awesome city to visit, very nice old fashioned henry the 8th look to it

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am

Remember when all the Wrexham fans came in with us to gloat at Chester? That was strange!

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Harder for us to get promoted, but at the same time probably bigger crowds,as the floating fans seem to come to these 'bigger' games.
Southport and Bradford PA will also be remembered as former league teams to older Darlo floating supporters.

Don't fancy an away trip to Hereford again (drab and a far longer and more boring journey to Boston), but Chester away trip is attractive apart from the ground location.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Harder for us to get promoted, but at the same time probably bigger crowds,as the floating fans seem to come to these 'bigger' games.
Southport and Bradford PA will also be remembered as former league teams to older Darlo floating supporters.

Don't fancy an away trip to Hereford again (drab and a far longer and more boring journey to Boston), but Chester away trip is attractive apart from the ground location.
Bradford PA are not a former league club.

The old club folded in 1974 and there was a gap until 1977 before a new club was formed

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Even666 wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

The old club folded in 1974 and there was a gap until 1977 before a new club was formed
I wonder if they thought about taking over another club and stealing their league standing rather than folding.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 pm

DFCAnth wrote:
Even666 wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

I wonder if they thought about taking over another club and stealing their league standing rather than folding.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 pm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spennymoor Town Football Club is an English football club based in Spennymoor, England and are currently playing in the National League North, the sixth tier of the English football league system. The club began playing in the Northern League in 1931–32 as Evenwood Town, reaching the 1st round of the FA Cup in the 1956–57 season. In 2005, the club merged with Spennymoor United,[1] who earlier that year folded[2] and collectively changed their name to Spennymoor Town.

Evenmoor or Spennywood :lol: :lol:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat May 19, 2018 9:07 am

So Spen, were you a spennymoor or evenwood fan before the teams merged? Did the seven figure sum the chairman has put in influence your decision making? Imagine, if they had both folded you might have become one of us....

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am

They are still THE Pride of County Durham though :clap: