I've never known a team make such heavy weather of it

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

I've never known a team make such heavy weather of it

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Bottlers 1-1 NFU.

Vodka_Vic

Re: I've never known a team make such heavy weather of it

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:48 pm

If Southport play like they did against us then they'll beat Spenny. Kiddy will rest players against BPA so expect BPA to win that.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:If Southport play like they did against us then they'll beat Spenny. Kiddy will rest players against BPA so expect BPA to win that.
If York beat Brackley I can see them getting 7th Adam.Southport will beat Spenny if they play anything like they did on Wed as I cannot see Bradford beating Kiddie.Hope I am wrong but gives them a chance they don't deserve.Spenny want there backsides kicking, looks like they have thrown it away, more like relegation form.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I can't believe how badly Spenny, Blyth and York have done this last 3 months, Spenny and Blyth were nailed on for play offs whilst York you just always felt they would sort things out.

Crazy if all three miss out but Chorley, Stockport and BPA have pushed them right out, if BPA win then that's it really on Sat as can't see Spenny turning the goal difference around.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Once again, Spendy look like bottling it. Even if they make it, it's still ridiculous to be so tight given the position they were in. Happens time and time again. Whenever they come under pressure, they crumble. Psychologically, they are weak.

Spendy are only ever any good when they can overwhelm the opposition in terms of budget. When they can't, they fall short.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:If Southport play like they did against us then they'll beat Spenny. Kiddy will rest players against BPA so expect BPA to win that.
If York beat Brackley I can see them getting 7th Adam.Southport will beat Spenny if they play anything like they did on Wed as I cannot see Bradford beating Kiddie.Hope I am wrong but gives them a chance they don't deserve.Spenny want there backsides kicking, looks like they have thrown it away, more like relegation form.
The way YCFC are playing that's a massive if QM2. Spenn have to better BPA's result, so two draws puts BPA in the p/offs even if YCFC and Blyth win (unless one of them wins big)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm

BPA are away to Kidderminster on Sat which is the exact same fixture in the play offs on Wednesday if BPA secure that spot, certainly makes it an interesting challenge for Kidderminster in regards to do they try to get the win or do they rest some players.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Spennymoor :crazy:

They had so many games in hand and didn't really have to do much. They should have got into position with points to spare then rest a few players, but no!

3 points from their last 7 games says it all.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Jason Ainsley did mention though that they would finish above Darlington in the pyramid for the first time, wonder if he'll trot that one out again if they fail to reach the play-offs.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 pm

From all the promise it could now turn out to be quite a damaging season for them. Having to play games out of town really naffed off fans and to blow it all after being in such a strong position would be a truly devastating blow that would take some recovering from.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:19 pm

It shows how easy or hard it is to get into a play off place especially with the new format - which initially looks to have made the regular league season more competitive. Let's hope we are in a position on and off the field to mount an assault on the top 7 next season! I would hope to see us back challenging the FL inside 5 years.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I would hope to see us back challenging the FL inside 5 years.
Not going to happen.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm

I went along tonight and I have to say Spenny looked absolutely knackered, they were lethargic and sloppy and never really started playing until Ferriby equalised.

The mammoth run of games has really taken it's toll on them I think they've played Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday just about every week for the last 6 weeks and it's knackered them and it has reflected in their results recently.

That being said take nothing away from NFU tonight they didn't look like a team that had finished rock bottom and been relegated they set up to frustrate Spenny they sat deep and defended manfully they could well have even nicked it against the run of play in the end.

They didn't come to make the numbers up and were good value for their point tonight, recent results certainly will give them some encouragement for next season.

As for Spenny all being told they have had an excellent first season in NLN and have probably overachieved. Maybe missing out is the best thing for them with the run of games they've had to then have to face an in form Kidderminster at Aggborough you really can't see any other outcome.

The door is now open for BPA, Blyth and York at the weekend, also given the form Kiddy have been in lately (5 wins in their last 6) I can't see them resting players on Saturday they will definitely want to keep the momentum going into the play offs.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:34 pm

quaker4life wrote:Maybe missing out is the best thing for them with the run of games they've had to then have to face an in form Kidderminster at Aggborough you really can't see any other outcome.
It's BPA who are at Kiddy on Sat, Q4L. Spenn are home to Southport.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:38 pm

biccynana wrote:[
Sorry I probably worded that wrongly, what I meant was if Spenny finish in the play offs they'll play Kiddy away and as things stand I can't see anything other than Kiddy beating them.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:50 pm

quaker4life wrote:
biccynana wrote:[
Sorry I probably worded that wrongly, what I meant was if Spenny finish in the play offs they'll play Kiddy away and as things stand I can't see anything other than Kiddy beating them.
Ah, got it!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:41 am

It was the heavy weather that did for Spenny. If Southport put on another display like they did at BM.......
At least this new format for playoffs keeps interest going beyond April, but not sure how happy i would be as a Harrogate fan. To be absolutely sure of going up, you must be Champions. Seems very harsh on the #2 spot who have been consistently good over the rest of the season if a team goes up who had completed the season with nearly 30 points less.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:12 am

AndyPark wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:I would hope to see us back challenging the FL inside 5 years.
Not going to happen.
Maybe I am being optimistic...but we can dare dream. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 am

jjljks wrote:It was the heavy weather that did for Spenny. If Southport put on another display like they did at BM.......
At least this new format for playoffs keeps interest going beyond April, but not sure how happy i would be as a Harrogate fan. To be absolutely sure of going up, you must be Champions. Seems very harsh on the #2 spot who have been consistently good over the rest of the season if a team goes up who had completed the season with nearly 30 points less.
At least this format gives the team who finish 2nd a big advantage by only having to play a potential 2 games, both at home. Whereas the 6th & 7th place teams would need to win 3 away games.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:39 am

divas wrote:
jjljks wrote:It was the heavy weather that did for Spenny. If Southport put on another display like they did at BM.......
At least this format gives the team who finish 2nd a big advantage by only having to play a potential 2 games, both at home. Whereas the 6th & 7th place teams would need to win 3 away games.
Also, if you're not the best team in the league then why should you get the same reward as the best team? Giving automatic promotion to the team finishing second only devalues winning the league.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 am

Is it right that a team can qualify for the playoffs having lost more games this season than they have won ?
Even if they win on Saturday Blyth will have achieved that dubious statistic.
Makes a mockery of having a league in the first place.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:42 am

banktopp wrote:Is it right that a team can qualify for the playoffs having lost more games this season than they have won ?
Even if they win on Saturday Blyth will have achieved that dubious statistic.
Makes a mockery of having a league in the first place.
But then what do you do and where do you draw the line between who gets a chance at promotion and who doesn't? Fact is that the team finishing 7th have been the 7th best team over the season regardless of how many they've lost. This gives them a final stab at promotion via a system which is weighted against them, in addition to the fact they are probably the weakest side in the playoffs - so very little chance of them progressing as a result.

Imagine there were only 2 points between 2nd and 7th at the end of the season - if you finished 7th and had the handicap of more rounds to get through away from home compared to a team that finished 2 points ahead of you, you'd also feel hard done by.

I'd rather it the way it is than a cut-off at 5th place and very little for most teams to play for towards the end of the season. We're 12th and until a few days ago still had something to play for, which surely is the whole point of competitive football.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 am

There's an argument as to whether playoffs should even exist, but as they do I think this system of playoffs is pretty good. Ticks all the boxes for the existence of the playoffs, mainly keeps the season exciting for more teams. But it also gives an advantage to league placings over the course of the season. Finishing 2nd and having to win 2 home games is certainly an advantage over finishing 7th and needing to win 3 away games

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:59 am

Although I am not advocating it, going back to 2 points for a win would give a fairer reflection of a teams overall performance.
Blyth who have lost half their games this season would be down in 13th place.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:19 am

I didn't like the idea of playoffs when they were first introduced BUT it did give me & the rest of us a chance to see our team run out at Wembley, long before the Trophy Final. Now work out how many lower / non league fans have had that same opportunity which otherwise they might never have had. :roll:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 pm

joejaques wrote:Now work out how many lower / non league fans have had that same opportunity which otherwise they might never have had. :roll:
The baboon stranglers certainly haven't! :clap: :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:32 pm

banktopp wrote:Although I am not advocating it, going back to 2 points for a win would give a fairer reflection of a teams overall performance.
I don't see how that's a fairer reflection. It's simply more a reflection of how they end up positioned under a different scoring system (one which rewards 'not losing' more than the current one, which provides more incentive for winning).

Plus games would probably pan out slightly differently, given two points for a win provides less incentive than the three-point system.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Radar

Post by Radar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Managerial inexperience has just about cost them a play off place. To blow the strong position they were in shows a high degree of complacency, almost like they believed they had the job done. Relegation candidates next season.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
banktopp wrote:Although I am not advocating it, going back to 2 points for a win would give a fairer reflection of a teams overall performance.
I don't see how that's a fairer reflection. It's simply more a reflection of how they end up positioned under a different scoring system (one which rewards 'not losing' more than the current one, which provides more incentive for winning).

Plus games would probably pan out slightly differently, given two points for a win provides less incentive than the three-point system.
Which is why I am not an advocate of the old system.
The present system does throw up anomalies such as Blyth who could still in theory
gain a play off place and possible promotion after losing half their games in the league.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Radar wrote:Managerial inexperience has just about cost them a play off place. To blow the strong position they were in shows a high degree of complacency, almost like they believed they had the job done. Relegation candidates next season.
No chance.