Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

wizardofos
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by wizardofos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:45 am

Altrincham are up as Champions, with Warrington, Grantham, Ashton and Farsley in the play-offs with two games left. Shaw Lane in 6th place could still squeeze in. Some familiar awaydays there.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 am

Also interesting what happens in the Southern Premier. Hereford are champions and could wind up in our division.

Kettering and Kings Lynn will be in our division if either of them goes up via the play-offs. Some suggestion Brackley would be shifted across to the NLS if that happened.

But if Barrow come down from the National League, then Hereford would probably end up in the NLS as well.

At an educated guess, we're likely to see Brackley shifted across regardless, unless Woking come down instead of Barrow and neither Kings Lynn or Kettering are promoted.

But the FA may come with another weird and wonderful solution as well.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Alfie
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Alfie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 am

Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.

al_quaker
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 am

Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
Makes you wonder how different things could have been for us if we hadn't had/didn't have our ground issues!

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 am

Yep, playing at Bishop certainly put a cap on the potential crowds from the start.

Both Chester and Hereford saw huge increases when they started again under fan ownership at a lower level. I think critically, being able to play at home in an appropriate stadium from the start was the factor.

They are not bigger clubs than Darlo, traditionally they get very similar attendances, in fact if anything they would usually get smaller crowds in a like for like situation.

So we definitely missed out there.

Having said that, when the likes of Maidstone and Newport were exiled for years and went back home they saw large increases in attendances, and we naturally expected we'd have the same. It didn't happen as well as some of us thought it would.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

shawry
Posts: 2601
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by shawry » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:Yep, playing at Bishop certainly put a cap on the potential crowds from the start.

Both Chester and Hereford saw huge increases when they started again under fan ownership at a lower level. I think critically, being able to play at home in an appropriate stadium from the start was the factor.

They are not bigger clubs than Darlo, traditionally they get very similar attendances, in fact if anything they would usually get smaller crowds in a like for like situation.

So we definitely missed out there.

Having said that, when the likes of Maidstone and Newport were exiled for years and went back home they saw large increases in attendances, and we naturally expected we'd have the same. It didn't happen as well as some of us thought it would.
We had the initial large crowd, but let's face it you aren't going to pay to go to a game you physically can't see.

To take real advantage of moving back home we would have needed an appropriate ground, rather than one that ticked the boxes.

Needs must though, and we are where we are so to speak :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12949
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Hereford have maintained their momentum, since they got kicked down the leagues. Surely they are two far sarf to be considered for the National League North?

jjljks
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Don't know what maps the FA & league are using, but Google reckons Hereford FC is 30 miles further than Brackley from BM and only 2 miles further than Gloucester City. Barmy!
But we knew that....

jonn
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by jonn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm

There's been a lot of talk about North Ferriby folding at the end of this season... if they do, how does this affect things? Will the FA reprieve one of the relegated three or move an extra team up from below?

dickdarlington
Posts: 1475
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 am

Yes. If North Ferriby do fold (sadly), then the team that finishes third bottom would be reprieved. This makes Tamworth v Gainsborough on the last day, potentially a very important game.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5720
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Yes. If North Ferriby do fold (sadly), then the team that finishes third bottom would be reprieved. This makes Tamworth v Gainsborough on the last day, potentially a very important game.
Why would they reprieve a team that finished in the bottom three of Nat North because another team that finished in the bottom of Nat North has folded. This would leave us with one extra team, I would imagine they either don't relegate a team at the next level or promote an extra team further down.

Would be different if North Ferriby were not in the bottom three but they are.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2001
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Worcester requested dropping to Step 5 after being relegated last season and no-one was reprieved.

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:41 pm

shawry wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Yep, playing at Bishop certainly put a cap on the potential crowds from the start.

Both Chester and Hereford saw huge increases when they started again under fan ownership at a lower level. I think critically, being able to play at home in an appropriate stadium from the start was the factor.

They are not bigger clubs than Darlo, traditionally they get very similar attendances, in fact if anything they would usually get smaller crowds in a like for like situation.

So we definitely missed out there.

Having said that, when the likes of Maidstone and Newport were exiled for years and went back home they saw large increases in attendances, and we naturally expected we'd have the same. It didn't happen as well as some of us thought it would.
We had the initial large crowd, but let's face it you aren't going to pay to go to a game you physically can't see.

To take real advantage of moving back home we would have needed an appropriate ground, rather than one that ticked the boxes.

Needs must though, and we are where we are so to speak :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
This is why I think we should be putting that 20k from Styche's goal towards a terrace at the other end, or if possible some more seats... if we can improve the ground we may attract the crowds back... having said that, neither the tin shed nor the seats are ever full, so is this really the reason?

banktopp
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by banktopp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.

spen666
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm

banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.

Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club

banktopp
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by banktopp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm

spen666 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.

Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club
Edgar Street is a valuable area of real estate, next to the old cattle market which has
been sold off and a whole new shopping complex developed.
Herefordshire Council could have sold Edgar Street to developers for many millions,
instead they chose to have a football club in the heart of the city.

biccynana
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by biccynana » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 pm

banktopp wrote:
spen666 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.

Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club
Edgar Street is a valuable area of real estate, next to the old cattle market which has
been sold off and a whole new shopping complex developed.
Herefordshire Council could have sold Edgar Street to developers for many millions,
instead they chose to have a football club in the heart of the city.
Funnily enough went past it today. It's a fine looking, traditional football league ground, big stands, old style pylon floodlights.

jjljks
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:04 pm

spen666 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.

Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club
The proposed Sports Hub has gone very quiet, but is one last chance for the Council to do the right thing by our club and give us some support. They must realise by now that unless they take some prompt action, the town will continue to decline.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 pm

This council are not bothered about anything to do with the town only claiming there money for doing nothing

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:00 am

jjljks wrote:
spen666 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.
Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club
The proposed Sports Hub has gone very quiet, but is one last chance for the Council to do the right thing by our club and give us some support. They must realise by now that unless they take some prompt action, the town will continue to decline.
Darlo council won't do owt for us... they never have...

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12949
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
spen666 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Alfie wrote:Hereford clearly retained or have re-established their fanbase after they went pop - 4,556 at their home game yesterday. Could be very competitive next season.
One of the main reasons for their success has been the unequivocal support from the local council who have just completed the 10 year lease of Edgar Street to Hereford F.C.
Quote " Herefordshire Council is looking forward to working with Hereford F.C. by planning and investing in the stadium. Hereford F.C. continues to make a great contribution to the city and wider community. Many local traders benefit from increased trade on match days and the football club is an important employer and contributor to the local economy."
From day one the phoenix club received council support, unlike another local council I could mention.
Think the big difference was that Hereford Council owned the ground and could therefore grant a lease of it to Hereford FC.

Darlington Council did not own the Arena or any other football ground they could lease to Darlington. The fC needed a ground suitable for Step 5 football in the short term, so even if a plot of land had been available, it would not have been suitable for the short term need of the football club
The proposed Sports Hub has gone very quiet, but is one last chance for the Council to do the right thing by our club and give us some support. They must realise by now that unless they take some prompt action, the town will continue to decline.
Darlo council won't do owt for us... they never have...
If we were the Mowden Park rugby club then that would be a different matter!!

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 am


The proposed Sports Hub has gone very quiet, but is one last chance for the Council to do the right thing by our club and give us some support. They must realise by now that unless they take some prompt action, the town will continue to decline.
Darlo council won't do owt for us... they never have...[/quote]

If we were the Mowden Park rugby club then that would be a different matter!![/quote]

Absolutely... hopefully their eagerness to support Mowden could play into our hands if we can piggy back on the hub. I think I vaguely remember Johnston saying that he was expecting discussions to progress over the summer so we may know where we are and where we're going by the start of next season... anyone else recall him saying this?

jjljks
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Going back nearly to the subject, wonder how long it will be before Darlo are playing South Shields and/or Scarborough in VNLN? Both good days away & nice seeing some more North East clubs coming through.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5720
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

jjljks wrote:Going back nearly to the subject, wonder how long it will be before Darlo are playing South Shields and/or Scarborough in VNLN? Both good days away & nice seeing some more North East clubs coming through.
I expect South Shields to win promotion next season into Nat North, Scarborough I think will consolidate in Evo Prem.

Wonder if Morpeth & Marske make a challenge for the Evo 1st Title next season as well, it's good to see more NE clubs up in these leagues.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 am

The Morpeth chairman would disagree with you Les! He's the ultimate Home-in-time-for-tea merchant.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Woking relegated from the National League meaning Barrow stay up.

Means Chester, Guiseley and Altrincham will definitely be in our division. If Kettering or Kings Lynn go up they also will be (along with the NPL play-off winners).

If Slough or Weymouth go up instead of Kettering or Kings Lynn, I think that puts Hereford in ours as well. But we'll see.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987
Posts: 1631
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by H1987 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm slightly torn on that. I like seeing us play proper teams, and Hereford certainly are, but also they would be much stiffer competition, in terms of the funding they have.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5720
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:The Morpeth chairman would disagree with you Les! He's the ultimate Home-in-time-for-tea merchant.
He certainly is, I have no idea how these clubs keep saying they can't afford promotion but happy to be very good money for success in the NL and a chance at Wembley every year.

So glad the FA have enforced promotion, makes the NE non league scene so much more interesting.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5720
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Woking relegated from the National League meaning Barrow stay up.

Means Chester, Guiseley and Altrincham will definitely be in our division. If Kettering or Kings Lynn go up they also will be (along with the NPL play-off winners).

If Slough or Weymouth go up instead of Kettering or Kings Lynn, I think that puts Hereford in ours as well. But we'll see.
Just checked on maps for away travel and I will have Kettering please.

polam
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming up to the NLN next season from the EvoPrem

Post by polam » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Just checked on maps for away travel and I will have Kettering please.[/quote]

They don't play in Kettering any more (where we played them at Rockingham Road in our first Conference season) - they're now in Burton Latimer (home of Weetabix)

Post Reply