Darlington FC V Spennymoor match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC V Spennymoor match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am

Update here please.
Looking forward to this, weathers great, looks like we should have a full squad to choose from. They will be well up for it to secure their playoff spot, and we, well, maybe make wait a bit longer :D

Ginge01

Re: Darlington FC V Spennymoor match thread

Post by Ginge01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 pm

One change, Portas replaces Trotman
1 Pears, 2 Portas, 3 O'Hanlon, 4 Turnbull, 5 Heaton, 6 Galbraith, 7 Gillies, 8 Wheatley, 9 Styche, 10 Syers, 11 Thompson

12 Glover, 13 Bancroft, 14 Caton, 15 Brown, 16 Saunders

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm

0-1 Chandler 1 min

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Plenty time to turn it round I suppose

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

1-1 Styche 23

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm

How many Darlo fans made the trip? Anyone

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm

2-1 Quakers Tait og

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:How many Darlo fans made the trip? Anyone
Thanks to Craig Stoddart
Attendance: 1,661 (776 Darlington fans)

divas

Post by divas » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Ginge01 wrote:2-1 Quakers Tait og
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Brown on for Syers seems like a strange move. What's that about?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Rotation I assume due to playing Saturday too.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm

We win 2-1

Good result away from home

alexholland12

Post by alexholland12 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Fantastic win! Joe Tait OG was the icing on the cake.

If you all could please take a couple of minutes to complete a survey on factors affecting supporter loyalty for my university dissertation.

The survey will only take a couple of minutes and is very simple to complete: https://nbsnu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/for ... h8mfmX8RGR

Thank you!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm

biccynana wrote:Brown on for Syers seems like a strange move. What's that about?
Moved Brown to right-back and then Portas in to the centre of midfield. Spennymoor were starting to go more direct and Taylor was always a threat in the air.

Fantastic result and performance by the players this evening.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
biccynana wrote:Brown on for Syers seems like a strange move. What's that about?
Moved Brown to right-back and then Portas in to the centre of midfield. Spennymoor were starting to go more direct and Taylor was always a threat in the air.
Ah right, thanks D97.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ah right, thanks D97.
Not a problem. Perplexed me at the time until I thought about it!

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Very good team performance tonight but I have to say that Joe Wheatley was absolutely outstanding. That lad’s got a big future if he keeps grafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Lovely result.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Those attendance figures for Darlo fans seem to be a bit out. The Spennymoor end was more than half empty. Thought the defence was outstanding tonight, especially in the second half. Good to see Gary Brown come on in the second half. MOTM should go to O'Hanlon, Galbraith and Heaton.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Styche was the best striker on the field, Wheatley and Turnbull by and large bossed the midfield and we had a far better defence than theirs. Yes Spenny are probably getting knackered now but there were a lot of positives for us to take from tonight. If only we had managed to fashion another couple of wins it would have been a really interesting end of season. But I'll settle for the progress we have made and hope we can continue this next season.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Fantastic result tonight! I love this team, every player fought for the badge.

Styche proved exactly why he was made captain when he signed, wears his heart on his sleeve and a great leader.

Our defence looks solid, Tez and Heaton have formed a great partnership and O’Hanlon had a great second half. Portas also doesn’t look out of place at RB at all, nor does he look like he’s missed most of the season through injury, he made some big challenges.

Thommo looked like he thrived on the stick he was getting from the spennymoor fans and put in a motm performance.

All in all a great evening, cheers Joe!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 am

Really can't wait to see the YouTube highlights for a closer view of the Tait OG as it was down the far end from Darlo fans. Even so, you could feel the emotion of their keeper and see their players deflate! They may have an outside chance of going up, but I reckon there will be another very short & enjoyable road trip for us next season. :lol:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 am

Memorable game for Darlo fans. Such a shame that Gray jumped ship so late. Play-offs a remote possibility, but if Darlo glean 9 points there could be some wobbles with others in the pack. Players will be up for the next 3 games anyway.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:32 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Memorable game for Darlo fans. Such a shame that Gray jumped ship so late.
Shall I point it out or does someone else want to? :roll:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 am

Quakerz wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:Memorable game for Darlo fans. Such a shame that Gray jumped ship so late.
Will leave this one to you Quakerz.....got me stumped with the Gray comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 am

As things have shaped up recently the points total for getting into the playoffs may be a lot lower than had previously been touted. I still don't see any way in which Darlo can be involved, but, had we beaten Boston in the last home game, we might have been in with a distant sniff. It is amazing that so many teams either side of the cut off point have crumbled under the pressure of making the top seven, even Chorley joining the "after you Claude" brigade. The league will have to go back to the old top five structure for the playoffs if teams 6 and 7 start to show no taste for it.

Going back to last night. First, what truly impressive support from the Darlo fans, and in what splendid voice they were. After such a badly conceded opening goal I felt that the support given by those fans helped the team to keep the faith when earlier in the season they would have crumbled. Next thought, Styche and how the inspired choice of bringing him to the club has brought back a team on its uppers to one that is looking every bit as competitive as any of the top seven, which bodes well for next year. With the team we had before his arrival we would lost that game through the lack of what he did for the equaliser, just picking up the ball and having that self-belief to force his way through on goal and score. I see the same trait in Thommo who has blossomed in the second half of the season and kept us in with a goal threat after Styche went off. As others have mentioned, massive praise to all the defence who, the opening goal aside, threw bodies in the way of everything and secured the result. And a special mention to Pears who was wonderfully cool on so many crucial moments. Plays much older than his years.

The only downside for me was the real lack of attacking options after Styche and Syers went off. Thommo kept us in it as much as he could but Harvey and Caton didn't seem able to make the most of the breaks out of defence, which brought a little more pressure onto the team in the last 15-20 minutes. Nice to see Gary Brown back, and his half time foray into the Spenny supporters to retrieve the ball that they had been warming up with. He certainly delighted the Spenny fans who showed their pleasure at being so close to a Darlo legend with some hearty abuse.

And finally a word on the officials. First half coming together of Wheatley and their number 2 and the decision on who was at fault apparently judged on who stayed on the ground rolling around the longest. Not impressed. There were quite a few less than clear decisions but this seemed to be the most wrong-headed.

Great result and, if anything, shows that you don't have to be a sour faced, taciturn bully to get a team to play for you when there is little to play for.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 am

quakerman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Will leave this one to you Quakerz.....got me stumped with the Gray comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I assume he means if Rat Face had left earlier, Tommy Wight would have been able to guide us into the playoffs.
Think before posting

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am

Next thought, Styche and how the inspired choice of bringing him to the club has brought back a team on its uppers to one that is looking every bit as competitive as any of the top seven, which bodes well for next year. With the team we had before his arrival we would lost that game through the lack of what he did for the equaliser, just picking up the ball and having that self-belief to force his way through on goal and score

Reeco Stychiodini :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 am

I find Jason Ainsley is usually pretty fair and honest after games but I think our dominance over Spenny over the last few years is obviously getting to him when he says: "We were comfortable all night. They didn't really hurt us. They weren't really a threat. But they've come away again and stolen the points."

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I know people will disagree with me, but apart from harrying their keeper when the ball was passed back to him, Saunders offered very little when he came on. We need a better option next season.