Guiseley and Chester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Guiseley and Chester

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

The two above are now relegated and will be dropping into our league next season however the other two look like being Torquay and Woking who will drop in to National League South.

From below it looks like Altrincham will win the league and the play off spot will likely be between Warrington, Grantham Town, Ahston United, Farsley Celtic and Shaw Lane.

So we are probably a team short on losing 5 but gaining 4, could well depend if we lose Brackley via promotion or a possible move, Hereford have been promoted and you would guess a shout of being moved to the North, Kings Lynn may go up via the play offs and are a possibility (played in Evo North I believe previously)and then the possibility of say Gloucester being moved back into the North.

Sounds like the league isn't going to be any more Northern next season, although I may have missed some options so anything else that can happen?

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Guiseley and Chester

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 am

These documents are updated by a guy every year and normally gets things about right. At the minute he is suggesting Brackley stay North as 3rd (guesses that 2nd place will win the playoffs) and that Kings Lynn who are 2nd in Southern will win the playoffs.

With that Kings Lynn at a guess will be placed into our Nat North as team number 5.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This is much better than discussing a relegation dogfight :)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:.... the possibility of say Gloucester being moved back into the North.
I understand ( but may be wrong) that Gloucester were given some form of guarantee of not being moved back to the North for several years after their last move

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am

Looking forwards to visiting Chester again - I saw the other day that they've been approached by someone wanting to invest. Interesting to see what happens with that

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:00 am

Let's be honest, Gloucester in a Northern league is just fecking insane. Then again, so is Brackley.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am

Looking forward to a weekend on the drink in Chester already.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Kings Lynn is a terrible place to get too from the North.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Kings Lynn is a terrible place to get too from the North.
Same travelling time from Darlington to KL as Darlo-Brackley and 30 mins less than Darlo-Gloucester, according to the AA, but let's face it, none of those three should be anywhere near a 'northern' division. But I guess that's the problem with only having two divisions below the Nat Lge.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Let's be honest, Gloucester in a Northern league is just fecking insane. Then again, so is Brackley.
This.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Considerably shorter distance from Kings Lynn to darlington, or even Blyth than it is to Truro. Not saying it’s easy. But it’s got to be fair on both sides.

Agree on Gloucester though.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Could hereford come into the North?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 pm

It's not that long ago that Oxford City was in the Conf Nth, so anything is possible.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:01 am

dickdarlington wrote:Considerably shorter distance from Kings Lynn to darlington, or even Blyth than it is to Truro. Not saying it’s easy. But it’s got to be fair on both sides.

Truro? You're kidding me, don't tell me they're at it now as well with this football malarkey. Can't these people just stick to their traditional sports like Morris Dancing, bog snorkelling or rolling a big cheese down a hill. If it's not clamped down on now, some idiot with more money than sense is gonna decide it'd be a great idea to bankroll Land's End on a ride through the leagues :D

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 am

LoidLucan wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Considerably shorter distance from Kings Lynn to darlington, or even Blyth than it is to Truro. Not saying it’s easy. But it’s got to be fair on both sides.

Truro? You're kidding me, don't tell me they're at it now as well with this football malarkey. Can't these people just stick to their traditional sports like Morris Dancing, bog snorkelling or rolling a big cheese down a hill. If it's not clamped down on now, some idiot with more money than sense is gonna decide it'd be a great idea to bankroll Land's End on a ride through the leagues :D
A la Gretna in Scotland. A rich mans folly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

A good few years ago, I think just after they had played for a year in the Scottish Premiership, I went up to see Darlo play Gretna in a pre-season friendly. Strange place loads of hotels, only a couple of shops and very weirdly for Scotland hardly any pubs!!!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

A good few years ago, I think just after they had played for a year in the Scottish Premiership, I went up to see Darlo play Gretna in a pre-season friendly. Strange place loads of hotels, only a couple of shops and very weirdly for Scotland hardly any pubs!!!
I was at that also and could not believe with that ground they were in the Scottish Premiership.A nice stand behind one goal and that was virtually it except for a rickety old stand which housed the changing rooms similar to the Kendal stand.The place is just a tourist attraction, hardly the size of Hurworth and crazy to invest money in them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

I was at that also and could not believe with that ground they were in the Scottish Premiership.A nice stand behind one goal and that was virtually it except for a rickety old stand which housed the changing rooms similar to the Kendal stand.The place is just a tourist attraction, hardly the size of Hurworth and crazy to invest money in them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
They never played an SPL game there, as the ground was not up to SPL criteria, Gretna played SPL games at Motherwell

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Kings Lynn is a terrible place to get too from the North.
My nearest game 34 miles from home.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm not expecting much in away support from guiseley at BM next season. Last night they pulled in just 311 for a home game. Granted its been a poor season for them but thats a proper Evo Stik attendance.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:43 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not expecting much in away support from guiseley at BM next season. Last night they pulled in just 311 for a home game. Granted its been a poor season for them but thats a proper Evo Stik attendance.
They are hoping to stay full time also, presume someone is putting money into them to work on a full time basis.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Gretna to Motherwell, 75 miles, a hell of a trek!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

Dunno how this might affect things as regards the ups and downs but saw this in the Evening Standard a couple of days ago......

Dagenham & Redbridge fear they could play their last ever home game on Saturday, with the club in danger of going into liquidation this summer.

The National League side could go out of business after major benefactor Glyn Hopkin resigned as a director and stopped funding them.

Dagenham have been talking to potential new investors but they have yet to find a backer and are concerned they may struggle to pay their players next month and could go bust.

The club are in the process of exploring other ways of raising money if a new investor does not come forward but concerns over the future of the club, who were founded in 1992, are growing.

Dagenham managing director Steve Thompson said on Wednesday: “The situation is quite dire. We have not managed to attract an investor and we could possibly run out of money in the next couple of months.

“We are at home to Maidenhead on Saturday and that potentially could be our last ever home game.”

The club, who have no debts, have raised the £250,000 they need to fulfil their fixtures this season but from next month they will struggle to pay their players.

Thompson said: “We are still talking to a number of people but no one has come out of the woodwork yet.

“We are looking at ways of keeping the club going next season but it is relying on us finding some short-term funding and I am not sure we can do that. Our problem is commitments to players’ contracts and being able to service them going forward. I am not certain how we deal with that at the moment.”

Dagenham are 11th in the National League and look set to miss out on the play-offs after losing 3-1 to Bromley last night. They reached the play-offs last season after finishing fourth, and have two more away games to play after Saturday’s match.

Local businessman Hopkin walked away from the club following a falling-out with a section of fans.

A consortium led by Hopkin purchased a controlling stake in the club after they were relegated from the Football League in 2016 and his exit has left them in danger of going out of business.

The Daggers, who were runners-up in the FA Trophy in 1997, have appealed for new investors to come forward and save them.

The danger of the single bankroller again.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am

Let’s face it, no clubs below the football league should be full time really. The TV money on offer at league level make it possible to run a full time team, below that barring a couple of exceptions (big ex-league clubs such as Luton) it’s impossible to break even

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:57 am

Unless breaking even isn't an issue.... as at Salford. A billionaire and several multi-millionaires, what could possibly go wrong? Mind, I bet the bloke at Dagenham will have been quoted at some stage as saying: "I'm in it for the long haul".... which, in reality, means "Or until someone upsets me."

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Altrincham have won the Evo Prem so confirm their place back with us next season.

Not a bad trip to be fair.

Hoping Farsley win the play offs if the make it, more local than the others although I presume Warrington would be the favourites.

Funny season 13/14 Evo North 1st had Darlo, Warrington, Salford & Curzon in 3 could be in Nat North next season and one in National League.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 pm

divas wrote:Let’s face it, no clubs below the football league should be full time really. The TV money on offer at league level make it possible to run a full time team, below that barring a couple of exceptions (big ex-league clubs such as Luton) it’s impossible to break even
Quite, let alone in our league. Just barmy.