Squad for 2018/19 so far

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Squad for 2018/19 so far

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:40 pm

The squad for next season is shaping up quite nicely, correct me if I'm wrong but so far we have:

Goalkeepers - Bancroft
Defenders - O'Hanlon, Trotman, Marrs, Heaton, Vaulks, Burgess, Brown and Collins.
Midfielders - Wheatley, Thompson, Caton, Gillies, Turnbull, Sears, Mills and Glover (youth deal).
Forwards - Styche and Saunders.

Out of contract: Galbraith, Hunter, Portas and Scott.

I suspect we shall see a couple of out going's in the summer with Marrs and Burgess likely to depart.

divas

Re: Squad for 2018/19 so far

Post by divas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Gillies out of contract too I think

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Gillies signed a new long-term contract in August 2016 until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

Out of contract now are Hunter, Galbraith, Portas, Scott & Milburn.

Would like to see us bring Talbot in over the summer as Pears deserves much higher football next season than what we can offer.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Looks a pretty decent squad so far. Little bit heavy on wide players and CBs and obviously light on strikers and goalkeeper

Great to see most of the players who could be sold on at some point in the future under contract. Hope we can get Glover signed up when he turns 17.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Gillies signed a new long-term contract in August 2016 until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

Would like to see us bring Talbot in over the summer as Pears deserves much higher football next season than what we can offer.
Think Divas may well be right on this one but I did think he signed a two and half in Sep 2016 but it may well have been one and a half.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Gillies signed a new long-term contract in August 2016 until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

Think Divas may well be right on this one but I did think he signed a two and half in Sep 2016 but it may well have been one and a half.
Until end of 18/19 according to here

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/jos ... -contract/

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Yeah that's how I remember it also, wonder if that final year is an option that the club can take or not.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Yeah that's how I remember it also, wonder if that final year is an option that the club can take or not.
Could be

If it is an option then its a tough one - one of the most talented players at the club, that's pretty clear. But both seasons he's been here he's started off the season well, and then not done great over winter. Last season he ended the season strongly and the last few games he's started to play well again.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Yeah that's how I remember it also, wonder if that final year is an option that the club can take or not.
Seems at odds with TW’s recent Echo comments about Gillies playing for his future. So perhaps it is an option on the final year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Gillies is a huge confidence player.

I'd keep him, very good player on his day and contributes a fair few goals too. How many has he got this season so far? 8/9...

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:01 pm

AndyPark wrote:Gillies is a huge confidence player.

I'd keep him, very good player on his day and contributes a fair few goals too. How many has he got this season so far? 8/9...
Possibly but he is a reasonably paid player, maybe we need another striker. Who knows really, guess this is the challenge for Tommy sometimes you have to lose a player you would like to keep to bring a player in you really want.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 am

Decent squad taking shape, although i did spend some time trying to think if i had seen Sears play at all this season. Only when i was flicking through the pics on club website that i realised it was Syers :lol:
Great to see TW is taking care of our assets and getting the lads signed up, just a couple more yet to be agreed and then we should be ready for the transfer window and scouts sniffing around :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 am

Galbraith would be the obvious one to get signed up of those who are out of contract - Hunter, Scott and Portas have all been peripheral figures for various reasons so we wouldn't really be losing too much with them going.

Burgess and Marrs if we can find any takers.

So say we moved those five on, I'd say goalkeeper and second striker would then be priorities, and a central midfielder to compete with Turnbull, Wheatley and Glover (with Syers playing more as a forward). Reduce the head count by two.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Gillies is a huge confidence player.

Possibly but he is a reasonably paid player, maybe we need another striker. Who knows really, guess this is the challenge for Tommy sometimes you have to lose a player you would like to keep to bring a player in you really want.

:thumbup:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 am

Spyman wrote:Galbraith would be the obvious one to get signed up of those who are out of contract - Hunter, Scott and Portas have all been peripheral figures for various reasons so we wouldn't really be losing too much with them going.

So say we moved those five on, I'd say goalkeeper and second striker would then be priorities, and a central midfielder to compete with Turnbull, Wheatley and Glover (with Syers playing more as a forward). Reduce the head count by two.
Agree with most of that especially getting Galbraith signed up again. I would like to see Portas given the summer to prove his fitness. Maybe in non contract terms through the friendlies then should all go well he could earn himself a deal. Agree with moving on Burgess, Marrs, Scott and Hunter. For a second striker and a Goalkeeper. That would leave us:

Goalkeepers - New Goalkeeper, Bancroft
Defenders - O'Hanlon, Trotman, Heaton, Vaulks, Brown and Collins.
Midfielders - Wheatley, Thompson, Caton, Gillies, Turnbull, Portas, Syers, Mills and Glover (youth deal).
Forwards - Styche, New Striker and Saunders.

Obviously then you have the opportunity for like for like replacements should any players be bought up in the summer.

One thing's for sure it's fairly different to the team we started the season with.

Contracted
GK: Bartlett, Wilczynski
DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Ferguson, Burgess, Collins, Richards
MID: Gillies, , Syers, Thompson, Wearmouth, Turnbull, Scott, Hume, Portas,
STR: Beck, Cartman, Saunders, Caton, Fenwick

On another note. I see Harvey Saunders has been on trial with Barnsley this week. Good luck to the young lad. Has a lot to learn in the game but certainly has pace in abundance and that can be a nightmare to defend against for players at any level.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:03 am

Spyman wrote:Galbraith would be the obvious one to get signed up of those who are out of contract - Hunter, Scott and Portas have all been peripheral figures for various reasons so we wouldn't really be losing too much with them going.

If we can get £80K on boost the budget that’s probably achievable. Given their senior status and where they were signed from you’d expect Gilles, Burgess & Marrs to be the highest earners there. Depending on what we raise will depend on the amount/calibre OG player that comes in to replace them. I think 6 moved on and 2/3 coming in is more realistic. Hopefully we can get another loan or two from Boro/Sunderland

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, I think pears' England u-20 call up could help our cause, it shows progress for players while they are with us.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 am

If the budget allows , would
really like to keep Portas without doubt as he is far too good to let go, same with Chris Hunter.A lot depends if we lose some of our talented youngsters when the bigger clubs start fishing around so a difficult one for Tommy.Probably will be a lot clearer after tonights forum.Burgess,Marrs and Leon probably certain to go and I still have doubts about Mills and Caton.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

Galbraith is our most urgent priority to re-sign and I believe Caton has proved himself over the last month, but probably needs to show the same form over the remainder of the season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:If the budget allows , would
really like to keep Portas without doubt as he is far too good to let go, same with Chris Hunter.A lot depends if we lose some of our talented youngsters when the bigger clubs start fishing around so a difficult one for Tommy.Probably will be a lot clearer after tonights forum.Burgess,Marrs and Leon probably certain to go and I still have doubts about Mills and Caton.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
No point keeping a good player who is not fit enough to play regularly though. Portas and Hunter have plenty to do to prove they're worth keeping.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC