What went...right?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: What went...right?

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote: The point we're arguing about is the extend to which TW was responsible for his poor results in the opening dozen games.
In a nutshell.

I think we were all a bit deluded as to how good the squad was based on last season but the warning signs were there in the latter half of that season. I particularly remember Curzon embarrassing us defensively, that was one of a few times it happened

I'm not saying TW is blameless for his poor start, or that he is the messiah - but I have definitely changed my opinion as to what extent he was responsible now I have the benefit of hindsight, now I can see he's brought in some better players than we already had.
Once we started losing regularly and TW changed nothing many were in denial I think a lot of people are trying to rewrite history by essentially laying all the responsibility at MG's door, and that Tommy Wright was having to clear up his mess.
As always the truth probably lies in between the two opposite opinions. I think it's unfair now to say that TW changed nothing. True nothing changed results wise, but he certainly changed lots including the playing staff, formations, just it didn't have any effect for a long while.
I don't agree with that and don't think TW had any idea what he wanted to do when he took over.
I think he definitely did have an idea, which was 3 at the back with 2 wing backs and a more passing style. Ultimately it didn't work, injuries didn't really help, and we haven't looked back since reverting to a flat back 4. It's clear that the players prefer that and TW seems to have learned that.
That meant it took too long for this side to be performing to the level it should, endangering our league status. It made a bad situation even worse.

If TW gets us into upper mid-table, I don't think that warrants him being hailed as the new messiah, as some are doing. In reality, that's what he should have been doing anyway. But TW will, deservedly, lead us into next season. There can be no excuses or blaming MG after that.
Yes he should have been leading us to upper mid table given the budget cut and player movements in and out. I'll be fine with that.

Next season I can't see many people blaming the ghost of MG as Tommy will have had plenty of time by then. But we need to see what sort of budget we have, then set and manage realistic expectations, and judge him based on that.

MG may raise his ugly ferret face now and again if we can't add to the squad because certain players were given 2 year deals by him and if they aren't performing and can't be moved on, a few fingers may be pointed in his direction but other than that I think he'll fade away.

Apart from when I laugh my bollocks off at him getting sacked by York, then getting the Hartlepool job and fucking that up too. I'm sure Raj will not be bothered about the million pound hole in his pocket after Gray has had the scattergun out.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Once we started losing regularly and TW changed nothing many were in denial I think a lot of people are trying to rewrite history by essentially laying all the responsibility at MG's door, and that Tommy Wright was having to clear up his mess.
As always the truth probably lies in between the two opposite opinions. I think it's unfair now to say that TW changed nothing. True nothing changed results wise, but he certainly changed lots including the playing staff, formations, just it didn't have any effect for a long while.
I'm sorry Q, but I didn't write the "Once we started losing regularly and TW changed nothing many were in denial," line.

It's not in my original post so I don't know where it's come from.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
I think a lot of people are trying to rewrite history by essentially laying all the responsibility at MG's door, and that Tommy Wright was having to clear up his mess.
I'm sorry Q, but I didn't write the "Once we started losing regularly and TW changed nothing many were in denial," line.

It's not in my original post so I don't know where it's come from.

Gah, that line was the beginning of something I was going to say but changed my mind - I must have forgotten to delete it and it's ended up tagged to your post somehow.

Then I must have thought you wrote it and answered it - apologies!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
tezza wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We were poor for a while under Gray, hence me being the first calling for him to be sacked.
Pete I think the calls for Gray to be sacked came long before any poor run of this seasons form ..... have you forgotten the uproar after a certain fans forum
I think people were unhappy after the fans forum, but I don't think people were calling for him to be sacked. Yes people were very unhappy, but they were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, given his record over the previous seasons.
Whilst you may have been unhappy, you will find that more than a few (including myself) were calling for his dismissal. That night Gray revealed himself for what he is. He had in his own mind become bigger than the club. York may have inadvertently done us a great service.

PS The beast is being fed again on this thread. Let him rest

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:42 pm

en passant wrote:I've just been watching this morning's re-run of Match of the Day and was listening to Roy Hudson's post match interview, where he was putting down the turn about of fortune to games against top of the table teams where they lost but competed and felt they had chances to get something. He reckoned this gave them the belief that they took into the next set of games where they did begin to pick up points. It put me in mind of the games Darlo played against Salford and York, where there was a real feeling of having been the equal of those teams in everything bar the scoreline. Down at Alfreton and home to Chorley you could see the same belief returning to the side, and the turn around at Leamington sealed the deal by producing a hard fought win.

The signing of Styche was also significant. After last season's success with Beck as the focus of our attack that brought the midfield goalscorers into play, we suddenly were hampered by losing that focal point due to injury and, perhaps, other teams marking him out of the game. With Styche's arrival we regained the possession of territory in the last third and this began to restore the belief in the midfield that they could get forward to purpose and support the striker. Thompson was suddenly a threat, and with Syers getting more than sub appearances, we also had someone else to share the burden up front. It seemed clear that once we had a few wins and these players began to score goals that the momentum changed from thinking defensively to forcing our will on other teams and feeling that we had the right to dictate the play.

It has been heartening to see how the self-belief is now returning to others who, earlier in the season, fans were thinking needed to be shipped out. Caton and Gillies were often the subject of some unfair disrespect but who are showing now that they never really went away, but we're just looking for that spark to re-ignite their season. Looking around the side now it is suddenly hard to find anyone who you might feel has come off that field without putting a full shift in. Belief, confidence, motivation. Once it sparks in the few it transfers to the many and individuals turn into a team.
Our midfielders were often stooging around, under Gray, as their efforts to go forward and create spaces were usually ignored by the "bang it towards Beck" tactic. The writing was on the wall for Gray when South Shields put 2 markers on Beck and one on Ferguson. Game over : Season over. Ever so grateful York!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:35 pm

tezza wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
tezza wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We were poor for a while under Gray, hence me being the first calling for him to be sacked.
Pete I think the calls for Gray to be sacked came long before any poor run of this seasons form ..... have you forgotten the uproar after a certain fans forum
I think people were unhappy after the fans forum, but I don't think people were calling for him to be sacked. Yes people were very unhappy, but they were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, given his record over the previous seasons.
Whilst you may have been unhappy, you will find that more than a few (including myself) were calling for his dismissal. That night Gray revealed himself for what he is. He had in his own mind become bigger than the club. York may have inadvertently done us a great service.

PS The beast is being fed again on this thread. Let him rest
Bless. Thanks for that Tezza. Or is that banktopp? Hard to tell these days.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am

Attention seeker, or just fishing. :lol:

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 am