Coming soon - Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 am

It was good to see Dan Burn put in a solid performance against a Premiership side. Dan Burn shows what a player for Darlo can achieve if they have the skill and application. Although Dan Burn did leave the club for Fulham when we were in a higher league than we now find ourselves in.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm sure any such proposal from the club would be very well supported by fans as TW seems to be able to bring in some great young talent. Any such boost will help to continue the upward progress we are seeing under TW at the moment.
Rob will have the forms ready&waiting at the table although GoCardless is quicker&easier

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Is this separate from Johnston's proposed DD scheme he talked about back in January at the Dolphin Centre night?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:52 pm

joejaques wrote:I did mine as a Standing Order, rather than a DD. So it can only be cancelled by me & does not require renewal. Guaranteed to be first in. :roll:
I think mine is an annual standing order, but I better check. Apart from bringing in younger players TW probably gets more loyalty from them than MG, because the youngsters get more game time. With the advent of the reserves and more loan outs to Northern League teams we could see some youth players join the first team squad and get a chance to play.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 pm

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/qua ... n-2018-19/

https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... udget-1819
Quakers launch Boost The Budget for season 2018/19

Darlington FC Supporters Group is today launching Boost The Budget 2018/19 and calling on Darlington FC fans everywhere to help increase the funds available to manager Tommy Wright for next season.

More than 180 people boosted the playing budget throughout the 2017/18 season raising £40,000, mostly via affordable weekly or monthly pledges. Since there are no major fundraising demands for infrastructure development at Blackwell Meadows next season and with Tommy currently putting together an exciting team with a mixture of established senior players and emerging young talent as current results demonstrate, we want to double that figure for the 2018/19 season.

The Supporters Group is hoping to raise £80,000 by inviting fans to pledge what they can, with proceeds raised added into Tommy’s budget for the Quakers’ assault on the 2018/19 National League North. Launching Boost The Budget now will allow Tommy to get his ideal squad into place as soon as possible and steal a march on our opposition, which is why we’ve set a deadline of 30th April to get all pledges in – don’t forget that you are just making a commitment at this point, the payments can be made weekly or monthly.

Darlington FC fans across the world can make pledges in exchange for a variety of money-can’t-buy Quakers’ experiences – for example designing a 2019/20 home kit, being assistant kit man for the day or even having your own gif goal celebration played out on the official Darlo twitter account.

Supporters Group Chair, Chris Stockdale, said: “Over the last few months Tommy Wright has quickly put together an exciting squad with a great mix of senior pros and talented younger players. The recent run of results – we have lost just once in ten matches — shows this approach is working. As a fan-owned club Boost The Budget is key to both allowing Tommy to put together a strong squad for next season and continue to invest in our younger talent who are already attracting interest from clubs higher up the pyramid.

“Without Boost The Budget, Tommy will inevitably have a much reduced budget next season, because a core principle of fan ownership is a prudent financial strategy. I hope the fans will get behind the scheme and take advantage of the great range of rewards we have put together.”

Tommy Wright is giving the initiative his full support, and said; “I really appreciate the help of our generous supporters. I believe that I have a good squad at the moment, and with continued financial backing into next season, I believe that I can build a better one.

“Obviously with the way I’ve invested currently in the squad, I’m always looking for a bit of a return. I won’t be wasting our supporters’ money, I see it as an investment in the future.”

To support Boost The Budget you can make a pledge online at the dedicated fundraising platform https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... udget-1819 or forms will be available for offline donations both in Quaker Retail and at the fans’ table during the remaining home games at Blackwell Meadows. Any queries please email questions@dfcsg.co.uk.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Done!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Great to see a rewards scheme - incentivising people to just give a little more will hopefully reap rewards :thumbup:

Also as an aside great to see we're planning on introducing goal gifs :clap:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

al_quaker wrote:Also as an aside great to see we're planning on introducing goal gifs :clap:
Can you actually see this happening? The club can barely update us with the game as it is....

When we do get a score update, it's 5 mins after the goal. I follow the DFCSG account for match updates if I ain't there, not the official account.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:56 pm

AndyPark wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Also as an aside great to see we're planning on introducing goal gifs :clap:
Can you actually see this happening? The club can barely update us with the game as it is....

When we do get a score update, it's 5 mins after the goal. I follow the DFCSG account for match updates if I ain't there, not the official account.
I'd imagine that if this is being planned then there is a desire to improve the official twitter account. And to be fair, recently there have been some improvements.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm

AndyPark wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to see a unique Andy Park goal gif celebration? Perhaps like Workington Away: https://youtu.be/WYSqdq3MsyU?t=46

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Because Gray was a cunnt and because Tommy isn't a cunnt - I've just renewed and doubled my pledge.

The target is 80 grand boys and girls - £1,880 already in it!

https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... dget-18-19
Last edited by Quakerz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to see a unique Andy Park goal gif celebration? Perhaps like Workington Away: https://youtu.be/WYSqdq3MsyU?t=46
:lol: :lol: had forgotten about that

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:Because Gray was a cunnt and because Tommy isn't a cunnt - I've just renewed and doubled my pledge.

The target is 80 grand boys and girls - £1,460 already in it!

Samesies

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

:lol: :lol: had forgotten about that
What a great night :lol: :clap: Was soaking wet by the time we got in the car home :crazy:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Quakerz wrote:Because Gray was a cunnt and because Tommy isn't a cunnt - I've just renewed and doubled my pledge.

The target is 80 grand boys and girls - £1,460 already in it!

Good point. Results are the main thing (obvs) but managers do need other skills too.

Tommy's results didn't kick in for quite a while but to me as soon as Gray left and Tommy came in there was a much better atmosphere around the club.

Even better now.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 pm

£2,040 in the pot now.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Thrown some money in too.

A couple of grand early on is a delightful start. Think/hope this will do very well.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

I keep getting a 'whoops, something went wrong' message when I try to move on past the bit where I choose how much/how often I'm donating.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 am

Try it now. I broke something :shifty:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks Mikky - done (and boy was it quick and easy!).

Nearly on £3000 now.

DC

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm presuming you mean the assistant kit manager's assistant?!
No it was the assistant kit manager's assistant's apprentice.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am

I shall be continuing my pledge next season. Big budgets are ok, take the 16/17 season the two smallest budgets in the championship some £12 million ( i wish) had contrasting results. Rotherham relegated, Huddersfield the promised land. It's not the size that counts it's what you do with it. I think we have in place a management team that will get the best out of whatever is raised.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:43 am

norwich darlo wrote:I shall be continuing my pledge next season. Big budgets are ok, take the 16/17 season the two smallest budgets in the championship some £12 million ( i wish) had contrasting results. Rotherham relegated, Huddersfield the promised land. It's not the size that counts it's what you do with it. I think we have in place a management team that will get the best out of whatever is raised.
Very true. A big budget doesn't guarantee promotion, it's how you use it that counts. TW has demonstrated that he is a good wheeler and dealer in the transfer market and any boost to his budget will be well spent.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm

The amount raised this season by a relatively small number of fans is a fantastic achievement. Its the equivalent of everyone donating the cost of an extra season ticket each ( without the need to pay VAT over to taxman).

The amount of money raised by the fans in 6 years for all purposes is staggering really.

No doubt the sum raised for the forthcoming season will be equal if not significantly more as there are no infrastructure development appeals to compete for funds

The big challenge will come when promotion to NL is eventually obtained, how can a fan owned club with a relatively small pool of donors, raise the funds to compete at that level, without external sources of income - eg external donors/ benefactors or income from 3G pitches etc.

I do not know how a club can compete in NL without significant external sources of funds, far in excess of what the fans can be expected to donate.

Also, a significant new challenge for players / funding may come next season. TW knows the players in the Midlands well and has recruited from that pool successfully. Next season Hereford will almost certainly be in the NLS and therefore likely to be a new name competing for players in the midlands. They are attracting crowds nearly 1000 more than Darlington, so are likely to be able to afford to compete on wages with Darlington and other clubs for midlands players at step 2 level

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 pm

spen666 wrote:The amount raised this season by a relatively small number of fans is a fantastic achievement. Its the equivalent of everyone donating the cost of an extra season ticket each ( without the need to pay VAT over to taxman).

The amount of money raised by the fans in 6 years for all purposes is staggering really.

No doubt the sum raised for the forthcoming season will be equal if not significantly more as there are no infrastructure development appeals to compete for funds

The big challenge will come when promotion to NL is eventually obtained, how can a fan owned club with a relatively small pool of donors, raise the funds to compete at that level, without external sources of income - eg external donors/ benefactors or income from 3G pitches etc.

I do not know how a club can compete in NL without significant external sources of funds, far in excess of what the fans can be expected to donate.

Also, a significant new challenge for players / funding may come next season. TW knows the players in the Midlands well and has recruited from that pool successfully. Next season Hereford will almost certainly be in the NLS and therefore likely to be a new name competing for players in the midlands. They are attracting crowds nearly 1000 more than Darlington, so are likely to be able to afford to compete on wages with Darlington and other clubs for midlands players at step 2 level
Does anyone know how much TV money each club gets from being in the National League? I think it's somewhere in the range of £1m per club in League 2.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm

spen666 wrote:

These are fair points, but of course the club is exploring ideas around this in terms of the 3G pitches. And of course growing crowds would help - they probably need to be well over 2000 for us to realistically have a chance of stepping up and being able to compete.

The point about a small pool of donors is one that has concerned me. 180 people contributed last season to the boost the budget scheme (which is great), but I reckon if you asked every one of the 1500 who attend an average home game whether they'd chip in a pound or two a week to help give us a realistic shot at promotion, more than 180 people would think that's a good idea. I know last season was confounded by other fundraising schemes, but I'd guess there was reasonable crossover between contributors to the community share pitches and the boost the budget pitches (although that is a guess - I could be wildly wrong).

I know a few people who haven't chipped in to recent fundraising as they don't think small amounts will make any difference. It's frustrating, as they are missing the point of crowdfunding!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm

spen666 wrote:The amount raised this season by a relatively small number of fans is a fantastic achievement. Its the equivalent of everyone donating the cost of an extra season ticket each ( without the need to pay VAT over to taxman).

You'd be looking at a stronger stream of advertising and sponsorship revenue as well as significantly increased gate receipts if we were to be able to put together a half-decent team that could establish itself properly in the league above. Developing and selling players as well.

There are ways and means other than money from a benefactor, but they are challenging and will require some serious work behind the scenes.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm

al_quaker wrote:
spen666 wrote:

These are fair points, but of course the club is exploring ideas around this in terms of the 3G pitches. And of course growing crowds would help - they probably need to be well over 2000 for us to realistically have a chance of stepping up and being able to compete.

The point about a small pool of donors is one that has concerned me. 180 people contributed last season to the boost the budget scheme (which is great), but I reckon if you asked every one of the 1500 who attend an average home game whether they'd chip in a pound or two a week to help give us a realistic shot at promotion, more than 180 people would think that's a good idea. I know last season was confounded by other fundraising schemes, but I'd guess there was reasonable crossover between contributors to the community share pitches and the boost the budget pitches (although that is a guess - I could be wildly wrong).

I know a few people who haven't chipped in to recent fundraising as they don't think small amounts will make any difference. It's frustrating, as they are missing the point of crowdfunding!

I think the average amount contributed was circa £220 per person per year. That works out at around £5 per week, which when you look at it that way is an amount many people may be able to afford.

I genuinely do not know how a club goes from being part time like Darlington currently are, to being a full time outfit without significant extra sources of income

Realistically for a lot of clubs, promotion from NLN/NLS to NL may be a step to far financially and administratively. Many clubs do not have suffient a presence or set up to generate significantly larger sponsorship income. for example, you would expect York or Salford to be able to persuade big name companies to advertise/ sponsor them easier than say Brackley would

The step up from NLS/NLN to NL is a huge step, and realistically its a bigger step now than from NL to L2.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 pm

To be fair, we don't HAVE to go full time in the National Premier.

Several of our better players in fact are with us because it suits them to be part time - Syers, Trotman, Styche are all studying for example. Turnbull left the full time game and joined us because he became a PE teacher.

People talk of a minimum budget of 700k to have a chance in the National league, ideally a million - yes I get that, but again that's full time.

There's no way we will be able to be able to bridge the gap between a 250k (ish) NLN part time budget and a minimum 700k NL full time budget. It's just not going to happen any time soon.

We ARE going to have to remain part time whenever we get back into the NL and people need to get their heads around that.

I reckon with bigger crowds, more league games and gate prices a couple of quid higher, along with continued financial input from fans - I'd like to think at that level we could get up towards and cover 400k. Not enough for a full time squad but enough for a well paid part time one.

And sometimes good part time squads have a good season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

spen666 wrote:
I think the average amount contributed was circa £220 per person per year. That works out at around £5 per week, which when you look at it that way is an amount many people may be able to afford.
Closer to £4 a week on average I believe. And if those 180 carry on with the same pledges, finding an extra 150 people who are willing to chuck in £2 a week raises an extra 15k. As does 100 people putting in £3 a week. It all adds up. Suddenly we'd be at about 70k extra for Wright and White. Convincing more of our fanbase to chip in very affordable sums is key
spen666 wrote: I genuinely do not know how a club goes from being part time like Darlington currently are, to being a full time outfit without significant extra sources of income

Realistically for a lot of clubs, promotion from NLN/NLS to NL may be a step to far financially and administratively. Many clubs do not have suffient a presence or set up to generate significantly larger sponsorship income. for example, you would expect York or Salford to be able to persuade big name companies to advertise/ sponsor them easier than say Brackley would

The step up from NLS/NLN to NL is a huge step, and realistically its a bigger step now than from NL to L2.
Well this is a bigger issue, and one which will be harder for us as we don't have a ground we can use to try and make money on non-matchdays. But there are things we can do even in the current situation - BM is still pretty empty of advertising boards (it is improving though), and also of course growing crowds has to be a priority. Crowds of 2000 should really be very achievable for a town the size of Darlington, although of course again BM probably doesn't help that cause. But if that was achieved it would increase revenue by 100k.