Coming soon - Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 am

Already 25% raised :) our fans are awesome :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Money still flying in - now £24,218 from 105 investors! This is already 30% of the target.

How long has it been running, about a week if that? Staggering start really.

Keep it going boys and girls!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Now £24,708 from 107 investors.

Last year we raised approx £42,000 from 180 investors, but many people didn't pledge into BTB because they felt that investing in the ground was a priority.

Hopefully plenty of those people can become additional BTB investors this season and we quickly smash through last season's figure.

Target is 80k - link is here https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... dget-18-19

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Quakerz wrote:Money still flying in - now £24,218 from 105 investors! This is already 30% of the target.

How long has it been running, about a week if that? Staggering start really.

Keep it going boys and girls!
At this rate Tommy will have a bigger budget than Gray next season.What an effort, great feel about the club these days.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Tommy already has a bigger budget than Gray for next year.
Gray's will be zero in the dole queue.

Brilliant effort so far.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm sure Raj will see him all right...

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Is the app knackered? I try to donate using my iPhone and it’s keeps saying “whoops something went wrong”. Hope this isn’t happening to other people and putting people off donating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Is the app knackered? I try to donate using my iPhone and it’s keeps saying “whoops something went wrong”. Hope this isn’t happening to other people and putting people off donating
What time was this, roughly? It'll give me a clue where in the error log to start looking.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Astounding progress!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

mikkyx wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:Is the app knackered? I try to donate using my iPhone and it’s keeps saying “whoops something went wrong”. Hope this isn’t happening to other people and putting people off donating
What time was this, roughly? It'll give me a clue where in the error log to start looking.
Earlier this afternoon. It happened yesterday as well. I’ll use a computer to donate, because I’m keen to contribute. I just concerned about it putting off the more impulsive types

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
mikkyx wrote:
Earlier this afternoon. It happened yesterday as well. I’ll use a computer to donate, because I’m keen to contribute. I just concerned about it putting off the more impulsive types

Tried two mins ago and same thing happened. Should help you locate the error.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Am I the only one a little surprised by some of the financial statements lately, or just being overly cautious.
Firstly we raised £60k only a couple of months ago with the aim being to finally rid us of past debt and provide a working buffer for cash flow going forward. This appears not to have fully happened by what was said at last weeks meeting.
Secondly, the boost the budget statement says that without boost the budget, the playing budget would be cut by around 40% resulting in probably a battle to survive in this division. From memory this years was about £300k so means a reduction of around £120k.
I get that this year they worked on gates averaging 1800 and have only been 1500. So let’s presume 1500 again next season, working on about £10 per head per game ( which has been said in past is about the average per match) then income would reduce by about £60k .
If the “dolphin centre” £60k took care of debt and cash flow buffer and no Blackwell infrastructure next season, then why reduce the budget so drastically?

May have got some of the figures slightly wrong but still think the principal of what I am saying doesn’t seem to fit exactly. Wish I had asked the question at the meeting but guess had not really read the boost the budget stuff fully then.

Sure there is an explanation and how incredible that £25k has been pledged already

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 pm

You haven’t accounted for transfer fees received this season

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

But surely when the budget was set last year there was equally no account of potential transfer fees coming in?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Do I need to spell it out?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 pm

The budget was set far too high this season, thanks to the pressure we were under to fuel Gray's ambition. The playing budget was 334k and don't forget the 70k+ for the entourage.

Next season I think we are setting it very much on the safe side - it's certainly better to do that and hopefully make a small profit or have a bit of transfer wiggle room should gates/other income turn out to be higher than expected.

It helps when the manager is on board and has a very realistic idea of the playing budget he needs to go for the play offs.

I reckon (but don't know) that the figure that Tommy thinks is good enough for a crack at top 7 is a very reasonable 250k.

How I worked this out..

Gray budget was 334k and this was cut to 284k when Tommy took over. I'm assuming that the current budget is still 284k, and the proposed 40% cut in budget without any boost the budget would be around 114k give or take a few quid. 284k - 114k = 170k

So a base of 170k is what I think we are cutting back to.

If we raise 40k through boost the budget, then 170k base + 40k = 210k. Funnily enough, again give or take a few quid, that isn't a million miles away from a 25% reduction on the current 284k budget (213k is exactly a 25% cut)

If we raise 80k through boost the budget then 170k + 80k = 250k. If I'm correct, and Tommy thinks a nice round 250k will be enough to have a shot at the play offs then you have to admire that, because it's still less than than the current budget.

But we need to set the "base" budget so low because we simply cannot count on gates of 1800 again, which lead to a large overspend this season. Neither can we rely on any transfer fees either.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 am

Quakerz wrote:The budget was set far too high this season, thanks to the pressure we were under to fuel Gray's ambition. The playing budget was 334k and don't forget the 70k+ for the entourage.

Next season I think we are setting it very much on the safe side - it's certainly better to do that and hopefully make a small profit or have a bit of transfer wiggle room should gates/other income turn out to be higher than expected.

It helps when the manager is on board and has a very realistic idea of the playing budget he needs to go for the play offs.

I reckon (but don't know) that the figure that Tommy thinks is good enough for a crack at top 7 is a very reasonable 250k.

How I worked this out..

Gray budget was 334k and this was cut to 284k when Tommy took over. I'm assuming that the current budget is still 284k, and the proposed 40% cut in budget without any boost the budget would be around 114k give or take a few quid. 284k - 114k = 170k

If we raise 40k through boost the budget, then 170k base + 40k = 210k. Funnily enough, again give or take a few quid, that isn't a million miles away from a 25% reduction on the current 284k budget (213k is exactly a 25% cut)

If we raise 80k through boost the budget then 170k + 80k = 250k. If I'm correct, and Tommy thinks a nice round 250k will be enough to have a shot at the play offs then you have to admire that, because it's still less than than the current budget.

But we need to set the "base" budget so low because we simply cannot count on gates of 1800 again, which lead to a large overspend this season. Neither can we rely on any transfer fees either.
Sounds about right.

If we are assuming the current squad is £284k, then cutting to £250k is probably roughly equivalent to losing two players.

That seems doable while retaining a play-off challenging squad (which the current one would be, barring the mid-season slump).

Assuming the £284k includes at least something for Marrs and Burgess, as well as Portas and Hunter who have barely played. Take those four out and I reckon we'd be around or below £250k.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:35 am

What was the 225k that's been mentioned by DJ then?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:What was the 225k that's been mentioned by DJ then?
Perhaps that's the £170k + staff costs (Wright, White etc)?

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 am

Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:The budget was set far too high this season, thanks to the pressure we were under to fuel Gray's ambition. The playing budget was 334k and don't forget the 70k+ for the entourage.

How I worked this out..

Sounds about right.

If we are assuming the current squad is £284k, then cutting to £250k is probably roughly equivalent to losing two players.

That seems doable while retaining a play-off challenging squad (which the current one would be, barring the mid-season slump).

Assuming the £284k includes at least something for Marrs and Burgess, as well as Portas and Hunter who have barely played. Take those four out and I reckon we'd be around or below £250k.

The trouble is that we might be lumbered with Marrs and Burgess who I think are still under contract? That would make 250k very tight, and let's not forget we still need to raise 80k to even have that.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

27k up now :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:

How I worked this out..

Sounds about right.

The trouble is that we might be lumbered with Marrs and Burgess who I think are still under contract? That would make 250k very tight, and let's not forget we still need to raise 80k to even have that.
True, but they were both part of the squad last season and while not the best options, could still play a part as back-up.

It might mean we lose a couple of players we'd rather keep who happen to be out of contract, but that doesn't mean we'll be building our whole squad around Burgess and Marrs!

If Brown or Galbraith left for example (who I believe are out of contract) then we still have Heaton and Collins with Vaulks and Burgess providing the cover.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Brown is on a contract until 2019 I believe.

I can see us more likely coming to an agreement with Burgess/Marrs to mutual end the contract. Basically they get something from us that means they can leave and play but no doubt earn less elsewhere.

I reckon both Marrs and Burgess will leave this summer along with probable 2 more that have been with us a while.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Brown is on a contract until 2019 I believe.

I can see us more likely coming to an agreement with Burgess/Marrs to mutual end the contract. Basically they get something from us that means they can leave and play but no doubt earn less elsewhere.

I reckon both Marrs and Burgess will leave this summer along with probable 2 more that have been with us a while.
Really hope Tom Portas is still here along with Chris Hunter and Terry Galbraith but down to budgets I suppose.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Unless someone wants to put in a crazy amount then I don't see us hitting £80k.

Currently on £27.4k from 116 at £236.50 approx. per person. To get to 80k with that level of investment we need 338 investors.

180 as per last year at current levels we will hit £42.6k approx. which is pretty amazing in itself.

So I think if we get 211 it is around £50k which seems more possible with a few extra people being involved.

Over to Darlo fans to prove me wrong and take us beyond £50k.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm hoping that we'll get more investors than last year because there is no additional ground funding required, plus there is a feeling around that TW will appreciate and not waste the BTB funding.

At the same time, like yourself, I'm not convinced we will get anywhere near 338 investors.

The BTB is growing a lot quicker than it did last year though - I seem to remember last year we got to 9/10 grand in the first few days and then it was a very, very slow trickle after that.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Dont suppose Raj will be chucking a few grand into the pot this time.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Dont suppose Raj will be chucking a few grand into the pot this time.
That was the pitch fund wasn't it?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Probably... i just remember him saying "gesture of goodwill". Just surprised MG didnt grab it for some signing he would then ditch after a couple of months on the bench.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Quakerz wrote:I'm hoping that we'll get more investors than last year because there is no additional ground funding required, plus there is a feeling around that TW will appreciate and not waste the BTB funding.

At the same time, like yourself, I'm not convinced we will get anywhere near 338 investors.

The BTB is growing a lot quicker than it did last year though - I seem to remember last year we got to 9/10 grand in the first few days and then it was a very, very slow trickle after that.
I was actually quite surprised how much Gray did waste his budget. At the start of the season I thought the ones wasting money were the supporters donating towards a promotion push when we didn't have a suitable ground in place.

Up until this season Gray had a good track record of using the money he was given to assemble a strong side. He seemed to lose the plot a little over the summer and employed more of a scatter gun approach than in previous seasons and whether it was that, or something else going on, something let to a complete lack of direction.

What I'm saying is I don't think many were put off investing in Boost the Budget because they didn't trust Gray to spend it on a good squad - they were put off because there was no sense in building a good squad before we knew the ground would be sorted.

DC