Striker option

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Striker option

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm

It is quite clear we are lacking in this area, Styche aside. Maybe it's worth offering Steven Rigg formerly of Penrith and Carlisle Utd a trial or short term contract? Yes injuries have prevented him from playing regularly recently but was pretty prolific in non-league? I believe he is unattached since being released from Carlisle Utd but in our position maybe worth a punt? :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Striker option

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:It is quite clear we are lacking in this area, Styche aside. Maybe it's worth offering Steven Rigg formerly of Penrith and Carlisle Utd a trial or short term contract? Yes injuries have prevented him from playing regularly recently but was pretty prolific in non-league? I believe he is unattached since being released from Carlisle Utd but in our position maybe worth a punt? :thumbup:
He hasn't scored a goal for four years and when he did, it was at a much lower level...

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Could definitely do with another striker, but not the one you suggested.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Whatever happened to Tom Craddock at Spenny, is he still there?.Not a good move for him by all accounts.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Not there anymore and dont think hes playing nowadays. Hed had his injury problems.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Could we not try Thommo up front. Quick, tricky and can hold up play as well as finish

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Could we not try Thommo up front. Quick, tricky and can hold up play as well as finish
Good shout Nick, worth trying up front with Styche , might just click you never know.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Could we not try Thommo up front. Quick, tricky and can hold up play as well as finish
I suggested the same thing to a friend last week!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Thomo used to chip in with loads of goals, often spectacular one's. But in the last year or so they've dried up, so probably not a solution.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:It is quite clear we are lacking in this area, Styche aside. Maybe it's worth offering Steven Rigg formerly of Penrith and Carlisle Utd a trial or short term contract? Yes injuries have prevented him from playing regularly recently but was pretty prolific in non-league? I believe he is unattached since being released from Carlisle Utd but in our position maybe worth a punt? :thumbup:
Let TW and AW scout about if that's the best you can come up with.. An injury prone striker who hasn't scored for 4 years bloody hell i despair sometimes..

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Syers if we can't bring anyone else in? Or Thommo, as above.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Thought Mills has looked good up front with Styche and should only get better as he gets fitter

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am

Injuries have absolutely ruined Rigg. As has been said he scored I think from memory around 35-40 one season for Penrith in the Northern league which got him a move to Carlisle. Did ok by all accounts but then injury struck and I will imagine he will end up back at Penrith or something similar. There is another decent striker from Cumbria and that is Scott Allison who plays for Workington. Scores a lot of goals in the division below and could make the step up in my opinion. Lives in Brough so about 40 minutes from Darlington so travelling wouldn't be an issue for him.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:23 am

With Trotman coming back I would like to see Tom Portas back in midfield in a 433 supporting the front 3 with Turnbull and Scott in front of the back 4.That gives us a more solid look IMO with Harvey and Syers as good options on the bench.Harvey will develop as a very good striker, probably not this season but possibly next with his blistering pace but not quite physical enough for this league atm but good impact player to bring on.His time will come without doubt.