Alfreton V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alfreton V Darlington FC

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Another one for the 330 mile midlands commute for training. You couldnt make this up.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm

My opinion wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:They should have had a player sent off after 1 minute for elbowing galbraith but the result was all about our dreadfully negative approach to the second half in which we stayed on the back foot clearly under orders. Not good enough against a dreadful side. How much lower can we sink.
Back to the Evo.... :thumbup:
We are 3 points off mid table, and it is still January FFS
Look again mid table Tamworth have 8 points more than us. Look at how many games we have played compared to all those around us..............then do the maths again we are in real trouble.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Nearly conceded first minute. After that looked solid at the back and decent going forward. Styche’s goal was quality. After that we were in control but without looking threatening. I expected an attacking second half but we got the opposite. At1-0 you’re always vulnerable to a freak event and so it happened, leaving us no time to react. Should have gone for the kill against dire opposition and it’s cost us. Ron you are right, we badly need more beef midfield and up front. After Styche’s bicycle kick left the stadium he had nothing. Anyone thinking that this is a talented team underperforming is delusional. They are an honest bunch of lads doing their best (except maybe Gillies) but are not good enough for anything other than a relegation scrap. I think we had to win today if just to give them a lift

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Having said that, I would have *probably* taken a draw before today, because at least it stops us losing to a relegation rival yet again.

Next 3 matches - Chorley H, Leamington A, Blyth H - 7 points or Tommy's head though.
5 points would be the minimum I'd want otherwise I'll start losing faith that we'll turn it around.

I was expecting a draw today before the match, but obviously the manner of it is hugely frustrating. I can only imagine how the rest of the players and management are feeling. One moment of madness (whatever went on, Talbot got involved off the ball, giving the ref a chance to make a decision) and it again costs us points :crazy:

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm

bga wrote:
My opinion wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:They should have had a player sent off after 1 minute for elbowing galbraith but the result was all about our dreadfully negative approach to the second half in which we stayed on the back foot clearly under orders. Not good enough against a dreadful side. How much lower can we sink.
Look again mid table Tamworth have 8 points more than us. Look at how many games we have played compared to all those around us..............then do the maths again we are in real trouble.
Not saying we are not in trouble. (that is obvious) I am saying there is a long way to go yet.
I would bet a lot of fans from all the teams in the bottom 8 positions are also thinking the same way

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 pm

On balance of play it was the right result. We handed the second 45 minutes to an awful side.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm

My opinion wrote:
bga wrote:
My opinion wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Not saying we are not in trouble. (that is obvious) I am saying there is a long way to go yet.
I would bet a lot of fans from all the teams in the bottom 8 positions are also thinking the same way
Fair point, but we don't have as much time as some of our rivals, as we have played more games. Let's leave it at that!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
We simply HAVE to strengthen before our next game, Styche is the only one scoring, when did Thommo last score other than the pen against Harrogate and I still say Mills is not the answer.If we fail to bring in new signings this week we are really asking for trouble, particularly as we play Chorley.Talbot wants to take a long look at himself if he did slap their player especially as that ref was dishing out bookings for fun, crazy thing to do and has cost us 2 points.Over to you Tommy, for gods sake delve into the transfer market because we badly need it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
We need to get the BM up to standard before we spend on the squad as people have been banging on about most of the season.. Can't just throw money at it like Gray did we have to be sensible or TW is just as bad splashing the cash... We have a decent squad to finish mid table...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:A gnats chuff away from a win. Anyone know what the 'altercation' was between our keeper and their player?
Punched him after the ball had gone according to Stodd on Twitter. Such a stupid way to throw points away.

Can hardly blame Wright for that
But yet again a poor individual decision costs us. Just like Styche on Wednesday, and virtually every other game this season.

So either Wright is bringing in players with the wrong character, or he's not instilling the right attitude and discipline in the players.

This level of stupidity doesn't just happen with this regularity if you have a well drilled group who understand their responsibilities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:59 pm

There's plenty of things that can be pinned on a manager, and there's plenty of things that Wright could have done better so far. But blaming Wright for Styche making a ridiculous decision, or Talbot doing whatever he has done, is a step too far in my books.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

You can't legislate for our keeper doing that, TW will get things right. Anybody know anything about this new lad?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

al_quaker wrote:There's plenty of things that can be pinned on a manager, and there's plenty of things that Wright could have done better so far. But blaming Wright for Styche making a ridiculous decision, or Talbot doing whatever he has done, is a step too far in my books.
I'm not outright blaming the manager, but it seems we drop points because of had decision making and he needs to get inside these players heads to stop that happening. That's his responsibility and unless he sorts it out we will continue to throw away points.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TheDenverMan
Team Supported: N/A

Post by TheDenverMan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

DarLOL :D :clap: Doing fabulous Tommy
KOOOOOONICHIWA

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

We are heading towards the glue league largely because of poor management. It is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:There's plenty of things that can be pinned on a manager, and there's plenty of things that Wright could have done better so far. But blaming Wright for Styche making a ridiculous decision, or Talbot doing whatever he has done, is a step too far in my books.
I'm not outright blaming the manager, but it seems we drop points because of had decision making and he needs to get inside these players heads to stop that happening. That's his responsibility and unless he sorts it out we will continue to throw away points.

Agree. The manager sets the tone. Such that players should think before acting. Wasn't at the game but it doesn't sound like our keeper was sent off unfortunately by, for example, getting a split second decision wrong. Sounds like he let his personal feelings come before the team and club. I'd expect a hefty fine for the player and 15 minutes locked in a room with Alan White to tear him a new one.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:08 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We are heading towards the glue league largely because of poor management. It is sticking out like a sore thumb.
We're heading there because the players we have are not good enough.

Still, the ground will be ready for the play-offs, so that's fine.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

I dont think we could fine him. We dont pay his wages.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Agree. The manager sets the tone. Such that players should think before acting. Wasn't at the game but it doesn't sound like our keeper was sent off unfortunately by, for example, getting a split second decision wrong. Sounds like he let his personal feelings come before the team and club. I'd expect a hefty fine for the player and 15 minutes locked in a room with Alan White to tear him a new one.
He was also booked for time wasting 5 minutes earlier, so he knew full well he was on a tight rope.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:We are heading towards the glue league largely because of poor management. It is sticking out like a sore thumb.
We're heading there because the players we have are not good enough.

Still, the ground will be ready for the play-offs, so that's fine.
Not sure I get your point there, you seem to be being sarcy about getting the ground play offs ready? We finished 5th last year, so obviously it was something we couldn't just leave.

No one could have predicted that we would tank so spectacularly this year.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Spyman wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Spyman wrote:

He was also booked for time wasting 5 minutes earlier, so he knew full well he was on a tight rope.

Did Talbot get a 2nd yellow or straight red?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I thought it was straight red but could be wrong. DFC twitter says (second) yellow card for a tussle in the box with penalty awarded
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Fed up of hearing Wright say we have a good squad and a great bunch of lads.

Fact is that apart from Ferriby we have won the least games all season with 6 out of 26 and 1 under Wright.

Yes it's often individual errors like last 2 games but facts don't lie. Over 26 games this squad is Not good enough. Yes individually we think we have nice players who should be
Doing better, but they are Not. Not for Gray and Not for Wright either.

3 of our next 6 games include Chorley, Blyth and Kidderminster so are seriously kidding ourselves if we think we are coming into a period of poorer teams.

Today just showed also how ludicrous it is not to have a keeper on the bench, sorry that's just bad management. What if he had been sent off earlier, we lose our keeper and centre half at the same time!

Lots on here seem loathe to criticise Wright, but he makes some terrible decisions and has to prove himself soon or we are goosed I,m afraid!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Today just showed also how ludicrous it is not to have a keeper on the bench, sorry that's just bad management. What if he had been sent off earlier, we lose our keeper and centre half at the same time!

Spot on. Why do managers do this? It's just asking for it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

coles

Post by coles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Fed up of hearing Wright say we have a good squad and a great bunch of lads.

Fact is that apart from Ferriby we have won the least games all season with 6 out of 26 and 1 under Wright.

Yes it's often individual errors like last 2 games but facts don't lie. Over 26 games this squad is Not good enough. Yes individually we think we have nice players who should be
Doing better, but they are Not. Not for Gray and Not for Wright either.

3 of our next 6 games include Chorley, Blyth and Kidderminster so are seriously kidding ourselves if we think we are coming into a period of poorer teams.

Today just showed also how ludicrous it is not to have a keeper on the bench, sorry that's just bad management. What if he had been sent off earlier, we lose our keeper and centre half at the same time!

Lots on here seem loathe to criticise Wright, but he makes some terrible decisions and has to prove himself soon or we are goosed I,m afraid!
It's easy to point fingers and say put a keeper on the bench but if the reserve keeper ain't anywhere near good enough then why would you waste a wage on a second keeper to sit on the bench just in case. Finances are very tight hence the 500 club call to arms yet fans want more players brought in crazy

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

coles wrote:It's easy to point fingers and say put a keeper on the bench but if the reserve keeper ain't anywhere near good enough then why would you waste a wage on a second keeper to sit on the bench just in case. Finances are very tight hence the 500 club call to arms yet fans want more players brought in crazy

If a second keeper is no better than Gary Brown then he needs to get a job in Sainsbury's, full time.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Sorry, but our record under Wright if taken over a whole season would finish us up on 21 points. That's 21. Everybody saying the players are the problem, do you really believe that we are a squad that is only worth 21 points in a season in the national league North? In that time we have played Gainsborough, Alfreton - who were so dismal - newly promoted blyth.

Sorry, this is on Wright. Regardless of the scoreline we looked defensively disorganised today, the players looked unfit, they didn't know when they should and shouldn't commit forward. Those things are all on the manager.

I don't get it, why are people so determined that Wright will turn it round? What is the evidence for this?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 pm

A lot of the fans i spoke to today among the 257 seemed to have lost any faith in tw turning this around.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm

LoidLucan wrote:A lot of the fans i spoke to today among the 257 seemed to have lost any faith in tw turning this around.
That's a great turnout. :clap:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Galbraith
Turnbull
Marrs
Gillies
Thompson
Syers
Portas
All good enough to get us to the playoffs last year so don't understand previous comments that we have a relegation squad. Yes they are in poor form but poor players can't agree. Additions of Heaton who is an improvement on Burgess and Styche who is a more natural goal scorer than Beck. Have in individual terms improved us in those positions.

I also don't get statements about the budget being cut. That might limit expectation but make no mistake we have a top half budget. Blyth, BPA will both have lesser budgets than us and are competing far better.

In a way I feel sorry to TW. He can't be held accountable for a daft decision by Styche with the Salford penalty. Or Talbot's rush of blood to the head. That could have easily been 4 more points which if we had them would put us into mid table.

At the same time he has been given the opportunity to bring in his own players. And our form has not improved. Games like Gainsborough away showed a complete tactical naivety that you can't afford when you are scrapping for points.

As others have said I don't know what the options are I terms of other managers. I honestly don't think it would take much to save us. Boxing day showed exactly what to his league is about. You don't have to be an incredible team to get results. Be organised at back and have a decent goal scorer and you'll win more than you lose.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Our major weakness was in defence and Wright has been unable to improve us in that regard. The team badly needed someone to come in and make sure they did the basics right, make the team tight at the back even if that meant we would be less of a threat up front. The basics have not been addressed and I'm now beginnng to think that Wright doesn't have the ability to do that, especially when considering his record at other clubs. I'm not sure what Alan White does apart from shout at the linesman all match.