Darlington FC v York City FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethams
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by feethams » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 am

Just watched the highlights from the York game.

As many have said, in not only this game, but most of our other recent games we have pretty much matched our opposition - we've just given away badly timed and sloppy goals and not been able to get back in to games. The list which has been put together of times we've conceded says it all.

The goals conceded v York are both poor. First one, both Thommo, Tez and Wheatley had opportunities to clear the ball. We were sleeping on the overlap also, Mills should have been tracking back.

The penalty - too many times we seem to have no-one on the edge of the box from attacking set pieces and when a header clears the ball, we've got no-one between the 6 yard box and are own half way line. The two defenders were both in no-mans land when it came to their break and I think we were lucky not to go down to 10 men.

I understand peoples panic - yes we are in a bad position, but we are a good side, with good players and if TW&AW can get some consistency out of the players we will pick up results again.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Personally I think the keeper hesitated before committing to the challenge that gave away the penalty. Yes the player got a free run but there was the opportunity for the keeper to get there a split second sooner and then there would have been no problem.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Just watching again, their number 4 should 100% have been off. Clear as day, studs up challenge on Styche. Referee bottled it completely.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm

H1987 wrote:Just watching again, their number 4 should 100% have been off. Clear as day, studs up challenge on Styche. Referee bottled it completely.
Yep - just watched the (excellent ) highlights, and should have been a red. 2 feet off the floor, studs up. Add in their 1st was deflected and we can maybe count ourselves somewhat unlucky. Still, the defending which led to their 1st and the ease of the counterattack for the second was somehow even worse on second viewing :sick:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
tdk1 wrote:Pretty mortified by Stoddart tweet saying he only realised it was a 3-4-3 formation when tw said so after the game.
I get the feeling Tommy is still experimenting with his formations and blends to get to know his squad. A good tactic in theory. In practice, by the time he hits on the correct formation we will be 8 points away from safety with 3 games left.
It was obvious to me. You only need to check out the warm up where White takes the defenders to one side for a bit of heading practice.

Talbot

Collins Heaton Brown

Thompson Wheatley Syers Galbraith

Saunders Styche Mills

People were complaining in the previous game that Styche was isolated, so the formation tries to ensure he wasn't. Would be tempted to keep the same again, perhaps with changes to Mills & Syers (Gillies & Turnbull/Portas)

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Thought the formation worked pretty well especially first half. We matched York City and fans round me were pleased with the performance. Can’t blame the formation for basic schoolboy errors for the 2 goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Beano » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm

D_F_C wrote: It was obvious to me. You only need to check out the warm up where White takes the defenders to one side for a bit of heading practice.

Talbot

Collins Heaton Brown

Thompson Wheatley Syers Galbraith

Saunders Styche Mills

People were complaining in the previous game that Styche was isolated, so the formation tries to ensure he wasn't. Would be tempted to keep the same again, perhaps with changes to Mills & Syers (Gillies & Turnbull/Portas)
To persist we 3 at the back we need defenders who are comfortable on the ball, which isn’t Brown’s strength, nor is Syers strong enough defensively to play central midfield without a holding player.

As I said after Ferguson left, we desperately need another left sided player, ideally with pace, which Galbraith doesn’t possess.

Talbot

Collins Heaton Galbraith

Turnbull
Thompson Wheatley Portas UNKNOWN

Styche Mills

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am

In the match day programme from last night (Salford) David Johnston writes of an incident that happened during the York game.

He witnessed verbal abuse directed at the guests in the Boardroom which was "cowardly and disgusting" - then when he intervened to try to calm the situation, he too was subjected to "vile and abusive comments" in front of his family. :thumbdown:

Without D.J being on board we'd be really stuck, this is bad news.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

To be anywhere near the boardroom these people must have paid for hospitality in which case their names will be known and they can be dealt with. If they got upstairs some other way then our security is at fault as there is usually someone at the bottom of the stairs to stop anyone who is not entitled from going up.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm

dfc4me wrote:To be anywhere near the boardroom these people must have paid for hospitality in which case their names will be known and they can be dealt with. If they got upstairs some other way then our security is at fault as there is usually someone at the bottom of the stairs to stop anyone who is not entitled from going up.
Find out who they are and ban the scum from the club, cannot stand pea brains like this.