Darlington FC v York City FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Players at this level are always going to make individual errors. Like someone else said, we're sleepwalking our way to relegation. I just feel that until the end of the season it's going to be deja vu and nothing much will change. If this squad of players was good enough then we wouldn't be making the same mistakes every week and we wouldn't be conceding 3 goals most weeks. I think we'll win the odd game and I hope I'm wrong, but probably a team will need around 46 points to stay up. Another 6 wins, but where are they coming from? We're running out of games and I'm afraid these players aren't capable of keeping a shape for 90 minutes. If they were then we wouldn't keep repeating ourselves.
I just can't see why people are blaming the players over the management. Look at Blyth, heading for the play offs with one of our cast offs in goal. Why is that? We're generally shipping three goals a game, which is a deterioration from earlier in the season despite have strengthened the personnel by adding Heaton for Burgess.

Look, I would like Wright to succeed, but it's not happening at the moment. What is happening on the training pitch? Where is the improvement week on week? What indications are we seeing of *any* prospect of a turnaround in our fortunes?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 pm

tdk, I've only seen two games lately. Harrogate and York at home.

However to me there has been improvement as we beat H'gate and looked pretty much in the match today.

These two matches have seen the team performing to a higher level than previously, under both Gray and T.W.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm

tdk1 wrote: Look, I would like Wright to succeed, but it's not happening at the moment. What is happening on the training pitch? Where is the improvement week on week? What indications are we seeing of *any* prospect of a turnaround in our fortunes?
I *really* want them to succeed.

Tommy and Alan will get time, but we to see something substantive, even if that is just a consistent game-plan that plays to our strengths.

If this run belonged to Martin Gray post-forum his head would be on a stake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

We should be better with this squad of players, there is no doubt about that.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 pm

What is the answer then? We tried getting Alun Armstrong but he didn't want to come. David McGurk was our 2nd choice, but he turned us down. Ultimately, we had to appoint our 3rd choice. People just aren't queuing up to manage the club. By the way, I'm not defending the management team. If anything, constantly saying that we'll be OK if the players cut out the individual errors is a cop out, cos it ain't going to happen, or it already would have done. Our hands are tied, it seems to me. We couldn't afford to get rid of TW anyway. I just feel we're stuck at the moment and I'm down about it as I couldn't stomach another season back in Step 3. Our only chance is to somehow offload some of the players on 2 year deals and get replacements in.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

But were shifting goals by the tonne and relying entirely on one player for goals. We're almost assuming we'll lose against clubs from higher in the division. We are losing week after week after week, and Wright's record at other clubs gives me little hope for improvement.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's time to stop blaming the players and demand improvement from the manager.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

To be fair there first goal was Thom’o loosing possession in our half by not making a decision and creating an opportunity for them, (first five minutes hoof it) their
second inept defending daft challenge 1 -2 there you go.

To be fair first half we were on it, not sure what was said at half time but we were rabbits in headlights, annoyingly we can’t compete in both half’s.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:What is the answer then? We tried getting Alun Armstrong but he didn't want to come. David McGurk was our 2nd choice, but he turned us down. Ultimately, we had to appoint our 3rd choice. People just aren't queuing up to manage the club. By the way, I'm not defending the management team. If anything, constantly saying that we'll be OK if the players cut out the individual errors is a cop out, cos it ain't going to happen, or it already would have done. Our hands are tied, it seems to me. We couldn't afford to get rid of TW anyway. I just feel we're stuck at the moment and I'm down about it as I couldn't stomach another season back in Step 3. Our only chance is to somehow offload some of the players on 2 year deals and get replacements in.
Almost correct however McGurk was first choice, then Armstrong.
tdk1 wrote: I just can't see why people are blaming the players over the management. Look at Blyth, heading for the play offs with one of our cast offs in goal.
Can blame Gray for getting rid of Jameson. However he got plenty stick off our own fans last season who were saying he wasn't good enough for this level. The same fans for who "no goals" Cartman is still a hero.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Talk of sacking the management team is utterly ridiculous.

Hartlepool have had 10 different managers since Cooper in 4 years, and look at them.

We need stability.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:57 pm

loan_star wrote: Can blame Gray for getting rid of Jameson. However he got plenty stick off our own fans last season who were saying he wasn't good enough for this level. The same fans for who "no goals" Cartman is still a hero.
I know it was Gray, but it's a demonstration of how players who appear to fall short may just need the right management. So many people are talking about individual errors to excuse the organisation, training, tactics.

Like I say, I'd like us to succeed with Wright at the helm, but I'm just not seeing it. How far does this go before the attitude changes?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Evaluating some of the recent games the same themes keep cropping up.

Blyth away... completely fell part defensively in the second half.

Tamworth home... handed the points to them when caught on the break.

Brackley home, outclassed, taken apart, defensively fragile. They made us look like a Northern League team.

Harrogate in the cup... shot ourselves in the foot with defensive weaknesses.

Gainsborough away... handed the points to them with a shocking first-half display in defence.

Harrogate away... dreadful defensive display in second half.

York home... haunted by same old weaknesses at the back.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Talk of sacking the management team is utterly ridiculous.

Hartlepool have had 10 different managers since Cooper in 4 years, and look at them.

We need stability.
Yes this knee jerk reaction to an expected defeat, will get us nowhere. TW will get things right, when the fixtures are a little bit more kind towards us.

TheDenverMan
Team Supported: N/A

Post by TheDenverMan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Lol going down
KOOOOOONICHIWA

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm

If we are expecting to lose at home to a mid-table team then we really are setting our standards too low.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Talk of sacking the management team is utterly ridiculous.

We need stability.
Yes this knee jerk reaction to an expected defeat, will get us nowhere. TW will get things right, when the fixtures are a little bit more kind towards us.

I'm not calling for anyone to be sacked. I'm calling for tw to take a good look at himself and really, really consider whether he has a strategy for improvement, the plan in place for improvement, and the capability to drag us out of this mess. If he cares about darlo as much as he says he does he would do that, and if the answer to those questions is no then he should do the honourable thing.

There should be no such thing as an expected defeat at this level, for this team.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Now is also the perfect time to play Salford. They're on a poor run.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Well for all the money York have spent they are still heavily (no pun intended) reliant on Jon Parkin who is 36. There was very little difference between the two teams and we just had a bad 5 minuted at the start of the second half. Keep the faith the club has been thru the mill this season and Tommy hasn’t been in the job 5 minutes!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Think after today, we are definitely looking like relegation contenders...

I want to see Tommy Wright have a go and be given a bit longer

Going by http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk we are predicted to finish 16th on 50 points, though I cant see where another 25 points are coming from...

Right now, I will take anything above 20 as a bonus

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 4b0522.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Now is also the perfect time to play Salford. They're on a poor run.
Vic's right about that. I still think we can/will stay up but it's going to go to the wire at this rate and it needn't. The management team ain't going anywhere so talk of alternatives would be daft. Defensive mistakes were a feature of last Season too but we managed to rescue points (Stockport and Gainsborough away we were all over the shop but got 3-3 draws). This season the difference is we're as bad at the back but weaker up front. Beck's injury was a huge blow as he was immense last year
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 pm

loan_star wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:As in other games, reasonably competitive for most of it, but a couple of defensive implosions see us concede yet more sloppy goals. How many times do we need to be caught on the break before we stop over committing players forward?
We need to try and bring a couple of new signings in, we are mentally not strong enough and in saying that, Scott, Turnbull and Portas should have started.Gray must have been laughing his cap off the way we were set up, very poor from Tommy afraid to say,

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
The same Scott who was done like a kipper for the first last monday and who, with Turnbull failed to do the basic stuff like mark a man when its two back for an attacking set piece??
Turnbull was unlucky to be dropped but Scotty for all he gives 100% should be nowhere near the starting 11 when other players are fit.
Absolute tit...Answer me this question is he a left back???

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 pm

The icing on the cake for me today was half way through the 2nd half somebody in the shed shout Styche put some effort in... Fcuk he was one of the ones today who put in a right shift... I could not believe my ears... Complete tit head!!!

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:The icing on the cake for me today was half way through the 2nd half somebody in the shed shout Styche put some effort in... Fcuk he was one of the ones today who put in a right shift... I could not believe my ears... Complete tit head!!!
Maybe the same scum calling Beck a paedo on New Year's Day and chucking stuff at the home technical area.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Now is also the perfect time to play Salford. They're on a poor run.
Vic's right about that. I still think we can/will stay up but it's going to go to the wire at this rate and it needn't. The management team ain't going anywhere so talk of alternatives would be daft. Defensive mistakes were a feature of last Saxon too but we managed to rescue points (Stockport and Gainsborough away we were all over the shop but got 3-3 draws). This season the difference is we're as bad at the back but weaker up front. Beck's injury was a huge blow as he was immense last year
Hope you're right GQ but feeling pessimistic at the moment. We need you at Alfreton next week to cheer us on. Quakerman needs to come on and give us some words of reassurance.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:
Vic's right about that. I still think we can/will stay up but it's going to go to the wire at this rate and it needn't. The management team ain't going anywhere so talk of alternatives would be daft. Defensive mistakes were a feature of last Saxon too but we managed to rescue points (Stockport and Gainsborough away we were all over the shop but got 3-3 draws). This season the difference is we're as bad at the back but weaker up front. Beck's injury was a huge blow as he was immense last year
Hope you're right GQ but feeling pessimistic at the moment. We need you at Alfreton next week to cheer us on. Quakerman needs to come on and give us some words of reassurance.
Could be tempted Adam

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 pm

The offer of a lift is there. Not going to Nottingham now. Going straight there. Needs to be done.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:48 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:As in other games, reasonably competitive for most of it, but a couple of defensive implosions see us concede yet more sloppy goals. How many times do we need to be caught on the break before we stop over committing players forward?
We need to try and bring a couple of new signings in, we are mentally not strong enough and in saying that, Scott, Turnbull and Portas should have started.Gray must have been laughing his cap off the way we were set up, very poor from Tommy afraid to say,

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
The same Scott who was done like a kipper for the first last monday and who, with Turnbull failed to do the basic stuff like mark a man when its two back for an attacking set piece??
Turnbull was unlucky to be dropped but Scotty for all he gives 100% should be nowhere near the starting 11 when other players are fit.
Absolute tit...Answer me this question is he a left back???
Hmmm no need for the abuse really is there. I was only passing my opinion as you like to do too.
As for your question, he's as much a left back as he is a centre mid at this level.

darlo_matt

Post by darlo_matt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 pm

I thought we matched York for the main today, 2 errors led to 2 goals which cost us, the other chances late on came from us chasing the game.
Think Styche, Heaton, Thommo and Wheatley have all performed very well last few games, unfortunately this been offset by dips in form from Browny, Galbraith and Gillies, and the seemingly just not good enough Mills, Caton and Scott.
Could we go down? Yes. Do I think we will? I still think these lads and the management team can pull ut the results we needs and then its massive summer for the club and a chance for Tommy to shape his team his way.

Radar

Post by Radar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Results and performances since being appointed manager would strongly suggest he's not the man to take us forward. We can not afford to be relegated, questions need to be asked and decisions need to be made.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 pm

If we do go down would the players who are on 2 yr contracts now still fancy being with us if not might be easier to replace them with others

Radar

Post by Radar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 pm

darlo reborn wrote:If we do go down would the players who are on 2 yr contracts now still fancy being with us if not might be easier to replace them with others
It's not a case of would they fancy staying. Most are on lucrative contracts which they would struggle to get elsewhere. It's highly likely crowds would also drop.