Gainsborough

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Gainsborough

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:28 pm

An important game this one in which we really need to be claiming three points against fellow relegation strugglers. Now our new management have had several games and the chance to work on things in training we need to see some evidence that the defence has been tightened up and we can see off the weaker teams in this league. We've conceded three goals in four of our five games with Tommy and Alan in charge and we've got be be stronger and harder to beat from now on. We've leaked far too easily so far and last night the defence looked disorganised (bordering on chaotic at times) even given that Boro were a tough ask. Saturday will give us a better indication of whether we are heading the right direction.

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Gainsborough

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Absolutely vital we start getting clean sheets or we will be in big trouble, just think the midfield area should include one less attacker for a more defensive option as extra cover to our back 4.Hope we abandon the 3 centre halves and revert back to 4 at the back plus the defensive midfielder as I always think we are capable of scoring against anyone.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Said on another thread and agree with what others have said, we didn't look solid with 3 at the back. When we played Boro no one seemed to know who their man was when they came forward and got into the box. Not saying it can't work but certainly something that needs far more practice and could be implemented over next summer.

Based on that I'd keep it simple for Gainsborough on Saturday. Play 4-2-3-1:

---------------------- Talbot -------------------------

Trotman ------ Heaton --- Collins ------- Galbraith

----------------- Turnbull, Portas ------------------

Thompson ---------- Syers ---------------- Mills

---------------------- Styche ------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Brown, Wheatley, Gillies, Caton.

We know there are goals in that front 4 and we also have Gillies to introduce of the bench who offers a goal threat. Along with Wheatley to keep the energy high in midfield.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Like the look of that team, though I might swap Syers for Wheatley, and use Syers from the bench as he always seems to pop up with a goal from there.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Yep, proper back four required to make us more solid but I think there should also be a starting slot for Gillies (our top scorer before the arrival of Styche) in place of Mills.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Wheatley is suspended this Saturday as he has had a 1 match ban for some time waiting to be completed.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Yep, proper back four required to make us more solid but I think there should also be a starting slot for Gillies (our top scorer before the arrival of Styche) in place of Mills.
I'd stick with Mills for a while, Gillies has the heart of a pea and will only play well when it's above 15c and sunny. Bring him back in April. Although hopefully we'll have fucked him off by then.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Quakerz wrote:Like the look of that team, though I might swap Syers for Wheatley, and use Syers from the bench as he always seems to pop up with a goal from there.
Agree Quakerz, Wheatley for Syers and Brown for Heat on as I don't think he is physical enough.That team would climb the table IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Agree with the individual choices. Formation may be flexible, as each game proceeds.

Overall we seem to have some better options for places with the recent team tactics and new signings.

Syers has been scoring his goals against defences that have been stretched, so maybe he is best used as a second half sub. Who would best take his starting midfield berth is anyone's guess

Thommo has stepped up a few gears recently, so there is hope for Gillies to also be more pro-active. Gillies hasn't shown much threat recently when subbed on, (compare him to Saunders), so maybe he needs to be loaned out for a month to recover his best form.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:30 am

After the way Vaulks played against Boro under 23's, I wouldn't be surprised if he features in some way at Gainsborough.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:37 pm

26/12 Harrogate Town H
01/01 Harrogate Town A
06/01 York City H
10/01 Salford City H

Tomorrow is massive for us and dare I say it we MUST win?!

Lose and we could potentially be in the bottom 3 going into that above run of fixtures and a draw isn't really good enough.

Gainsborough haven't lost at home in the league since September and that was against Salford, they've won 4 of their last 5 at The Northolme overall in all competitions the one defeat that shock 6-0 hammering against Slough in the FA Cup. They've also won their last 3 on the spin at home since against Telford, FC United and Curzon and we haven't won an away game since the opening day and have lost of the last 4 on the road.

However the last 3 games against them have produced a cracking 20 goals so anything could happen!

I live in hope more than expectation but there couldn't be a better time for Tommy Wright to register his first win since taking over.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:07 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:After the way Vaulks played against Boro under 23's, I wouldn't be surprised if he features in some way at Gainsborough.
I would be - he’s just gone to Sunderland RCA on a month’s loan, along with Milburn.
http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/vau ... t-on-loan/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:47 am

biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:After the way Vaulks played against Boro under 23's, I wouldn't be surprised if he features in some way at Gainsborough.
I would be - he’s just gone to Sunderland RCA on a month’s loan, along with Milburn.
http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/vau ... t-on-loan/
Really surprised, think he's far too good for the Northern League and especially when we are struggling in defence.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:06 am

Surely we don't have any first team injury worries and could play a back four who have some understanding between themselves, although the communication with goalkeeper could be a problem with Bartlett having to be replaced. Just hope there is more concentration for the first five minutes after kick-off!.....