Signage for Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Signage for Darlington FC

Post by poppyfield » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:08 am

Not sure if this has already been looked at or in the process of happening.
As we can't have a sign at the entrance to BM (I believe due to the DRFC not wanting us to have one ) can we not approach the council to put up the brown direction signs on the approach roads roundabouts etc. And one on the Blackwell hotel side pointing into the ground, it should happen anyway to help away fans find the ground.
We had these signs when we played at the Arena, so why not for BM, I know these signs were taken down a few years ago, they might even be in the DCC sign storage area (if there is such a thing) if they are great.
I know there are rules that govern brown signage, but, I would not of thought there would be a problem getting permission as they were in place before, I assume there would be a cost involved.
Might be worth looking into, thoughts?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

norwich darlo

Re: Signage for Darlington FC

Post by norwich darlo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:29 am

How about a sign in the hopefully not too distant future telling the Rugby club to poke it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 am

It's terrible that at the entrance it only says Darlington Rugby Football Club. No mention of the football club or forthcoming fixtures. This must change.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's terrible that at the entrance it only says Darlington Rugby Football Club. No mention of the football club or forthcoming fixtures. This must change.
This was mentioned I think I recall at the DFCSG AGM last week. I believe one has been ordered but cannot recall where it is to be placed. Anyone else who was there recall this?

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:56 am

Not being funny or anything but if away fans have made it as far as Blackwell hotel and cant find the ground, then they have serious problems.
Think before posting

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's terrible that at the entrance it only says Darlington Rugby Football Club. No mention of the football club or forthcoming fixtures. This must change.
It seems DRFC are determined to get the message across that they are the landlords and we are merely tenants.Annoying the way this is coming across, if that's the way they want to play it then it will always be a 50/50 ticket for me rather than money across the bar.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Not being funny or anything but if away fans have made it as far as Blackwell hotel and cant find the ground, then they have serious problems.

I think you are missing the point, it’s not just about a direction sign .

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:53 am

I think there was planning permission in for a sign that could be seen from A66.

The council do have a policy for tourist information signs, chances are we could meet the criteria for these. I think the destination would have to be Blackwell Meadows not Darlington FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:Not being funny or anything but if away fans have made it as far as Blackwell hotel and cant find the ground, then they have serious problems.

I think you are missing the point, it’s not just about a direction sign .
I was replying to the OP comment of 'And one on the Blackwell hotel side pointing into the ground, it should happen anyway to help away fans find the ground.'

I don't share in this need for signage, I'm yet to hear of any tails of woe of fans unable to locate where we play.
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm

bga wrote:
This was mentioned I think I recall at the DFCSG AGM last week. I believe one has been ordered but cannot recall where it is to be placed. Anyone else who was there recall this?
That would be a positive step if it is happen (and if it is to be displayed somewhere reasonably prominent and also if this time we're allowed to explicitly reference the football club...)

I actually took a friend earlier this season - his words as we approached the ground, in a jokey manner, were 'are you sure the football club play here?!'. Some correction of this perhaps may help improve the feel of BM as 'home' for the football club as well as the rugby club.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm

It's not only the signage at the entrance that needs to change, other things need to change as well, like those stupid electronic signs in the bar, saying welcome to Darlington Rugby Club. They either need to be switched off when we're playing at BM or they need to mention the football club rather than the rugby club.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's not only the signage at the entrance that needs to change, other things need to change as well, like those stupid electronic signs in the bar, saying welcome to Darlington Rugby Club. They either need to be switched off when we're playing at BM or they need to mention the football club rather than the rugby club.
Why?

You're at Darlington Rugby Club, so why wouldn't you welcome people

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:44 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:It's not only the signage at the entrance that needs to change, other things need to change as well, like those stupid electronic signs in the bar, saying welcome to Darlington Rugby Club. They either need to be switched off when we're playing at BM or they need to mention the football club rather than the rugby club.
Why?

You're at Darlington Rugby Club, so why wouldn't you welcome people
This is the problem right here.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:50 pm

poppyfield wrote:Not sure if this has already been looked at or in the process of happening.
As we can't have a sign at the entrance to BM (I believe due to the DRFC not wanting us to have one ) can we not approach the council to put up the brown direction signs on the approach roads roundabouts etc. And one on the Blackwell hotel side pointing into the ground, it should happen anyway to help away fans find the ground.
We had these signs when we played at the Arena, so why not for BM, I know these signs were taken down a few years ago, they might even be in the DCC sign storage area (if there is such a thing) if they are great.
I know there are rules that govern brown signage, but, I would not of thought there would be a problem getting permission as they were in place before, I assume there would be a cost involved.
Might be worth looking into, thoughts?
If DCC have it are we moving out of town again?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:59 pm

bga wrote:
John Tempest stated that it was with the Graphic Designers when the question was asked at the AGM last week. Any any road signage will have to be authorised by Council or Highways Authority but a lot of people probably use satnav or mobile phones for accurate directions.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:04 am

Driving into Southport there's always a big sign on the Formby by-pass advertising their next fixture. I'm sure its much better placed than near the ground and gets thousands of views.